Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Prot Warrior Threat Problems.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:06 pm 
Retired Admin

Hey Guys,

So. I've been tanking Naxx 10 and 25 without problems. Mainly OTing, but MTing at times as well, there seems to be no problems there, as we down them with ease, i mean we even do Ulduar and no problems normally. However i came across an interesting problem. In heroics i just cant seem to keep Aggro.

I keep getting threat taken away from me, and i don't know why. I have good gear as you can see Here. Now, is it my rotation? Am i doing something wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Furthermore, if you could suggest a good Tanking UI/Addon, it would be greatly appreciated.

~Key-J

Post subject: Re: Prot Warrior Threat Problems.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:06 pm 
Veteran Member

That's weird, since you're walking around with a semi Block set.

I'm not too sure about your rotations, but I always start with Taunt, then Thunderclap and Shockwave following with Shield Slam, Devastate, Heroic Strike or Cleave and then repeat. Shield Slam is top on my priority, following with Devastate and Thunderclap to build threat, Heroic Strike or Cleave to dump rage.

I never really had aggro pulled from me before, except for this one really weird attempt on Malygos.

If you're doing fine in 10/25 man raids I don't think it's even your rotation problem, maybe your DPS is pulling before you? Or they aren't watching their threat meter?

As for the addons, other than Omen, I don't think you really need anything else. Sure there are addons that might help but they aren't a must. If you've tanked long enough, you can even ignore Omen really.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:59 am 
Forum God

Key-J wrote:
Hey Guys,

So. I've been tanking Naxx 10 and 25 without problems. Mainly OTing, but MTing at times as well, there seems to be no problems there, as we down them with ease, i mean we even do Ulduar and no problems normally. However i came across an interesting problem. In heroics i just cant seem to keep Aggro.

I keep getting threat taken away from me, and i don't know why. I have good gear as you can see Here. Now, is it my rotation? Am i doing something wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Furthermore, if you could suggest a good Tanking UI/Addon, it would be greatly appreciated.

~Key-J

dont worry about it i take threat from the tank in heroics its not your fault its the fact you dont have the masses of buffs and the mobs die a hell of a lot quicker....then again im warlock i can take threat in raids if i really put my mind to it but by then my dps wont change much just stupid amounts of threat

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:34 am 

Nothing New. Having a Warrior tank myself, its quite normal.
Especially with group pulls in heroics, its not a secret that warriors have really shit aoe tanking capability when compared to say paladins.
However, if you haven't already then, maybe put some talent points into Deep Wounds, that way you put a deep wound when you crit and get a little more aggro.
It's also an idea to tab switch your targets and build aggro on them with a rotation as well as spamming TC and SW. Also make sure you target Skull your priority target so the dps don't go on the wrong target and start pulling them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:58 am 
Forum Legend

It's hard for warriors in heroics atm. Just prio your main threat building skills, and be sure to tab quite a bit when more then 2 enemy's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:26 pm 
Frequent Member

Key-J wrote:
Hey Guys,

~Key-J

Is it happening on any specific bosses? There are a couple who drop threat part way through the fights. Also, are you in a group with a pally when this is happening and is he the one pulling aggro from you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:15 am 
Site Owner

Key-J wrote:
Hey Guys,

~Key-J

Well, for heroics you need to realize that, you take no where near the damage you do in raids. Im willing to bet most of the time your clicking abilities you can afford and waiting for them to light up.

Also remember, in a 5 man you don't have anywhere near the raid buffs that you do in a raid.

If your gear is really good, do like me for 5 mans and wear 3-4 DPS items. Doesnt matter anymore if im not defense capped, it would take a mac truck to kill me anyway. Plus I get to say catchy things on vent like "Oooh he crit me good" I wear my darkmoon crusade card, a strength elixir, and keep battle shout up for the attack power.

Then I choose 3 or so DPS items to put on with it. Dont swap out tank gear that has +hit or +exp unless the dps item does too. Its important to note that the current "full BiS" tanking set has like 70 hit and 5 expertise on it total and thats actually close to "full terrible agro" rather than BiS.

(BTW, is your hit near 250-290 and expertise at 25? these are huge factors.)

Remember, TClap and Shockwave all scale now with your AP; as well as most your other tanking abilities. Beef those up and you'll see a difference. It helps too if you have classes like ret pally (kings+shout) or a DPS DK or enh shammy that compliment your tanking DPS.

Also, be smart about zerker rage. If your low on rage mid pull, use it. It will refill the bar.

Rotation? LOL most of us faceroll 5 mans like this:

Charge.
Tclap.
Back up to get em in a ball anddddddddd
Shockwave.
Throw some cleaves, or shield slam.
Wait for shockwaves stun to wear off, and now...
Pop shield block for 100% blocks with double returns on damage shield
Don't pop it while there still stunned, obviously that does nothing.
Tclap moar.
Some cleave spam (do you glyph for 3 targets?)

And of course, if your deep wounds spec. deep wounds procs off every move you have; tclap shockwave cleave DAMAGE SHIELD dev rev sslam blah blah blah.

As far as AOE threat, your far less off than a DK or paladin but if you use this facerolling strat and your first into the pack with the clap, shockwave, popping block you'll often keep ALL of them from those pesky OP classes.

As far as actual raid bosses, if your not sustaining 5-8K then, thats another story

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:24 pm 
Loyal Member

5mans are a joke, the dps is probly a bunch of noobs and pull before you have aggro, and they probly arnt FF your target. i wouldnt worry about it too much, thats how pugs go. (if your doing H with your guild thats a different story). but like ryoko said you can change out some of your items for dps gear, that sword wouldnt be too good if your not in naxx.