Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Protection Paladins
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:11 am 
Loyal Member

I've leveled as a Retribution paladin since level one. However now at end-game, in Blackrock US there seems to be a shortage of tanks. So I decided to drop my Retribution/Holy and go Protection/Holy.

Can someone tell me what rotation to use while tanking, how to pull and how to keep aggro. I know that you must keep Righteous Fury up and Consecration for fast aggro pull. But how do you keep with the mana up, Divine Plea?

Also the defense cap? Can someone tell me in bare basics what stats I should be reaching for. Because most guides out there just tell you, for ever 25 Defense you get .5% avoidance rating and so on and so on, and that is not very clear for novices like me...

Post subject: Re: Protection Paladins
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:16 am 
Advanced Member

535 defense for heroics. 540 for raids.
Blessing of Sanctuary and Spiritual Attunement are your main mana sources. Check your prot talents.

Look up EJ for the 6969696 rotation. That's threat in a can for ya.

As for efficient pulling, that comes with time and practice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:26 am 
Loyal Member

I heard of the 696969 rotation, but doesnt it require a specific talent tree? I found this thread in EJ, http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t37172-prot ... 3_0_wotlk/
reading atm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:32 am 
Advanced Member

I think the base prot pally spec looks similar to this these days;
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZA0xA0uMGsIufdxo

I run that build; you've got 11 points free still to stick where you want, you just need to read up on what works and what doesn't. (for example, Vindication is crap because it doesn't work on bosses)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:51 am 
Frequent Member

Necrobat wrote:
I think the base prot pally spec looks similar to this these days;
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZA0xA0uMGsIufdxo

I run that build; you've got 11 points free still to stick where you want, you just need to read up on what works and what doesn't. (for example, Vindication is crap because it doesn't work on bosses)

Just a quick question. Why would you put points into judgments of the just, and only give 3 points to divinity?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:50 pm 
Site Owner

ThatBluePerson wrote:
I heard of the 696969 rotation, but doesnt it require a specific talent tree? I found this thread in EJ, http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t37172-prot ... 3_0_wotlk/
reading atm.

Quote:
This is the 969 rotation. Its based off the normal global cooldown of 1.5 seconds. The 969 rotation gives maximum threat because it provides an efficient framework for you to use an ablility every cooldown. One entire sequence is ideally 16.5 seconds.

example like this:
Judge-->HoTR-->HS-->ShoR-->Consec-->HoTR-->HS-->ShoR-->Judge-->HoTR-->Consec-->ShoR

After the last ShoR (which is at the 16.5 second mark) you Judge and the rotation is started again.

Also make note that ShoR and HoTR are interchangeable. It really depends on gear and playstyle. I use HoTR as my lead 6 second ability right now. But, with the Libram of Obstruction you should use ShoR immediately after Judging as the 5 sec. shield block value boost will increase the damage done.
The same can be said for Holy Shield and Judgement. I prefer to get my Judgement up as soon as possible. On hard hitting mobs you may want the immediate mitigation from HS. Its really up to you.

The trick is learning when and how to rotate your 9 sec abilities because only one is an actual 9 second ability(judgment) and that's only if you drop one point into improved Judgments. Once you have the basic rotation down you can throw a new ability like exorcism to replace one of the judgments, but exorcism can only be used once a rotation b/c of its 15 second cooldown and should be placed accordingly.

Hope this helps. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:02 pm 

You'll get plenty of practice by just running 10 and 25 Naxx. If you are situationally aware player, you should be able to get into those Raids as soon as you are defense cap now.