Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

What class
Priest pwns and healing is easy too 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
Mage ftw baby! 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Mage is an under-equipped warlock, pick Priest! 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Advice please!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:04 pm 
Veteran Member

Ok, basically im making a new character but im not sure, out of Mage or Priest, which i want to level. Currently i have a 20 Mage and 23 Priest and i like them both, but i only want to level one of them.

I would pick Priest hands down, because i've always liked the idea of a shadow priest, but i know in end game i WILL be expected to heal. Thats not something i think i would enjoy as i dont like being under pressure and i get annoyed easily. Though as a healer, i would gear easily as every group needs a healer and DPS are so easy to get.

Mage isnt something i thought id ever enjoy, because i have a Warlock, which is if we're honest, a Mage with more toys (Summons, self heals ect).

Also im not sure if id like another DPS build as i have a warlock and death knight. But im also not sure if i would be able to heal, so i would only be a shadow priest which is obviously another DPS class.

So umm yeah, advice please. Is healing easy? I know you just need to keep the group alive, but that can be hard if the tank sucks or whatever. For any healers out there, how easy is it?

And finally, your opinion: Mage or Shadow Priest (And reasons why please...)

Post subject: Re: Advice please!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:54 pm 
Loyal Member

go preist. if your going to stay shadow(which i doubt you will end up staying shadow) your dps will suck on trash, flat out. you have ZERO aoe abilities. so for heroics your dps is going to suck. but on raid bosses i think your dps will acceptable(idk never raided with a shadow priest in the group.)

but healing is not as hard as you may think, especially for a priest. depending on spec, disc or holy, you may find it difficult for heroics as disc. but in my experience as a disc priest in 5mans, its cake. seriously, i tell my tank constantly to pull bigger pulls because i always end fights with practicly full mana, which means i could be healing more, which means he can pull bigger. as disc you just pw sheild and wait, when the sheild runs off use renew and reshield as soon as the weakend soul wears off. if the tank starts to get low inbetween sheilds then penence and he will be back to full in 1.93 seconds with 3 stacks of grace, then you can flash heal if needed.

as for holy, i cant say because ive never been holy. but i imagine its just prayer of mending and circle of healing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:42 pm 

err, hark are you sure you know what you're talking about? Priest have one of the highest AoE abilities for trash, mind sear*.
As for the whole expected to heal thing, majority of the time you won't. Granted you will be asked to heal from time to time but you won't be kicked from anything if you refuse. Shadow priests are useful for their replenishment, and their +hit buff. They're also ranged which is usually in more demand than melee dps wise in pugs.
Personally if you're playing PvE i'd go priest. I play two pure 80s, with only 1 hybrid 70+ and i've gotta say i'd rather have hybrid 80s. It's nice to be able to dps then switch later on if you get bored etc etc.

Last edited by mosiac on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:06 pm 
Loyal Member

mosiac wrote:
err, hark are you sure you know what you're talking about? Priest have one of the highest AoE abilities for trash, mind flay.
As for the whole expected to heal thing, majority of the time you won't. Granted you will be asked to heal from time to time but you won't be kicked from anything if you refuse. Shadow priests are useful for their replenishment, and their +hit buff. They're also ranged which is usually in more demand than melee dps wise in pugs.
Personally if you're playing PvE i'd go priest. I play two pure 80s, with only 1 hybrid 70+ and i've gotta say i'd rather have hybrid 80s. It's nice to be able to dps then switch later on if you get bored etc etc.

sence when is mindflay aoe? lol idk i havnt been shadow in forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:26 pm 
Veteran Member

[TS]=Hark=[TS] wrote:
mosiac wrote:
err, hark are you sure you know what you're talking about? Priest have one of the highest AoE abilities for trash, mind flay.

sence when is mindflay aoe? lol idk i havnt been shadow in forever.

Mind Flay isnt, Mind Sear is, but you dont get it until 75.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 pm 
Frequent Member

I raid with a shadow preist who consistently tops DPS charts. I've seen him pull 6k+ in naxx and I didn't look at his dmg in Uld the other night but I'm assuming he did quite well. Holy healing is pretty easy, you'd be raid heals, and you do a LOT of healing. Disc is harder to play imo, but also very effective heals. I'd go preist over mage, because at least you have the options to dps or heal. I just acquired a boomkin/resto shamman (he's lvl 75 now) and I healed my first dungeon the other day. It's really not that hard, but you do have to pay attention and know the fights. Get decursive too, helps a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 pm 
Veteran Member

lavapockets wrote:
I raid with a shadow preist who consistently tops DPS charts. I've seen him pull 6k+ in naxx and I didn't look at his dmg in Uld the other night but I'm assuming he did quite well. Holy healing is pretty easy, you'd be raid heals, and you do a LOT of healing. Disc is harder to play imo, but also very effective heals. I'd go preist over mage, because at least you have the options to dps or heal. I just acquired a boomkin/resto shamman (he's lvl 75 now) and I healed my first dungeon the other day. It's really not that hard, but you do have to pay attention and know the fights. Get decursive too, helps a lot.

Well i have done all the heroics and full Naxx on my DK so im ok with the boss fights, its just the pressure i dont know if i could handle, especially knowing the whole group is relying on you.

Still undecided atm, but i think i am favouring Priest over Mage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 pm 

Free food and free portals.

I love being a mage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:01 am 
Forum Legend

Mages are the best class in wow, tbh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:03 am 
Elite Member

Considering your other classes I'd recommend taking a priest.
Healing is very easy, probably the easiest job in a raid but I don't know for sure cause I haven't raided as a tank. But SPs are needed in every raid as well so don't worry about having to heal.

<< :giveup:>>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:36 am 
Veteran Member

Okay guys, thanks for the advice, i've decided to level my Priest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:50 am 
Forum Legend

Boooooo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:41 am 

Priam wrote:
Boooooo.

QFT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:59 pm 
Forum God

ive rolled with a 4k dps spriest >.>

im working on my healing gear right now tho, disc/priest. my heart will always be with shadow tho

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:32 pm 

Healing isn't the easiest job in the raid, that goes to DPS. As long as you have a decent group with decent gear healing isn't hard. Neverrrr go into a heroic with an under geared tank.

I raided at 70 as a holy priest and I found it to be a lot of fun. I prefer it over DPSing, as shadow you have to micro manage dots and stare at cool down timers. Shadow priests have a lot of raid utility so you will not be expected to heal at end game if you don't want to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:36 pm 
Advanced Member

Sae wrote:
Healing isn't the easiest job in the raid, that goes to DPS. As long as you have a decent group with decent gear healing isn't hard. Neverrrr go into a heroic with an under geared tank.

I raided at 70 as a holy priest and I found it to be a lot of fun. I prefer it over DPSing, as shadow you have to micro manage dots and stare at cool down timers. Shadow priests have a lot of raid utility so you will not be expected to heal at end game if you don't want to.

Raiding is boring :P

I spent most of BC spamming fireball or frostbolt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:44 pm 

cuchulainn wrote:
Sae wrote:

Yeah if you hit the same 2 keys over and over, lol. That's why I liked healing, it was at least a little bit different from encounter to encounter :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:16 am 
Advanced Member

Sae wrote:
cuchulainn wrote:
Sae wrote:

Yeah if you hit the same 2 keys over and over, lol. That's why I liked healing, it was at least a little bit different from encounter to encounter :P

Well in fairness, now I Lifebloom and rejuv. Sometimes regrowth. Whackamole isn't fun either :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:49 am 
Veteran Member

Im really enjoying it atm. Shadow pwns at 40+ and at 50 it just gets better. Currently level 50.