Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Really?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:42 am 
Loyal Member

Alright, as it seems everyone is bashing on WoW in the other sections, I figured I would post this here as to not stir up as much emotion from the Aion lovers. I have read about, heard about, and even seen people praising the "all mighty god" himself while talking about the graphics in Aion. I just saw a video of the dungeons in Aion, along with some pictures of different high level sets that are attainable, and sad to say I am not impressed. It looks like they threw the look of Lineage 2 with the textural thickness of Silkroad, and called it ground breaking. Paper-thin graphics with glitchy movements is not my idea of good graphics, and to be perfectly honest, I have to say that WoW's cartoony, N64-like graphics far exceed those of Aion.

/end rant.

Does anyone else see this? Or am I the only one who thinks the game looks to be completely over hyped?

Post subject: Re: Really?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:47 am 
Ex-Staff

People who hate on WoW are insecure about how much they like their own games despite the vast inadequacies they know exist thus they have to talk about only the good points contrasting with perceived weak points in WoW so they may forget their own miserable experience with said inadequacies. i.e. I just laugh when people hate on other games with no logic and all opinion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 am 
Frequent Member

I love both games, but honestly I can say that WoW's graphics, while not being as bad as some seem to think, are totally surpassed by aion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:44 am 
Forum Legend

Well obviously if your posting on a WoW forums,more people are gonna be on WoW's side. I think both games has their advantage,and as Piootr said,Aion honestly has better graphics

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:26 am 

Aion's graphics >>> WoW's graphics
Aion's art direction <<< WoW's art direction (IMHO)

Aion's look is very generic. Though it's distinguishable from other MMOs, it still has a look that's been used over and over - within NCSoft (L2 and GW) and even on other games (S.U.N. and even SRO). WoW, on the other hand, stands out with the style Blizzard decided to use. With their resources, they could have decided to make WoW look ultra-realistic but they opted not to. It's easily distinguishable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:42 am 
Advanced Member

Basically, somebody who doesn't play/do/have something that's good will shit all over it rather than make an effort to play/do/get that.

I haven't played Aion, but based on the history of other "WoW Killers" I'm skeptical of it's possibility for success.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:53 am 
Frequent Member

Most of the aion fanboys on this forum just recently quit silkroad online or are still currently playing it.

enough said honestly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:04 pm 

i've played both, wow on-and-off for about 2.5years now, and i played 4 of the open betas for aion. aion is pretty, the engine it uses for graphics makes it look amazing. the characters are realistic and more humanoid than wow, and that appeals to some.
the one fault i found with aion, is that its entirely too linear. you re-roll and you have to do the *same* exact quests as you did before. this can be true in wow, but doesn't have to be. pretty much all races start out in different areas of wow, and throughout your leveling progression, you have multiple zones per level range to choose from in which to level. Aion is a stage where Wow is truely, a world - massive and explorable.

DOTA2, Age of Conan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:14 pm 
Common Member

I admit I do like the graphics in sro and aion gotten used to the wow graphics that they don't look bad to me. Blizz did it this way so that over time unlike other games the graphics don't look like crap. Compare high end graphic games from 5 years ago to today they look like crap now. With the WOW cartonish style the game ages a lot better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:50 pm 
Casual Member

Been playing WoW for 2 months only, tried Aion in the 4 Betas and this beta, all I can say is, Aion copied much from WoW.. I don't care if ppl disagree with me but it's a fact. Graphics own ofc. I didn't progress much in Aion to judge the high lvl content but one thing WoW lacks is, COMMUNITY!!! You don't find a lot of nice and active ppl like you used to see in SRO, or at least in a legit server like Venus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:55 pm 
Forum Legend

What is there that is a copy from WoW? I'm on neither sides but I really dont get when people go "WoW rip-off" on every new MMOs.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 pm 
Veteran Member

TheSwift wrote:
Been playing WoW for 2 months only, tried Aion in the 4 Betas and this beta, all I can say is, Aion copied much from WoW.. I don't care if ppl disagree with me but it's a fact. Graphics own ofc. I didn't progress much in Aion to judge the high lvl content but one thing WoW lacks is, COMMUNITY!!! You don't find a lot of nice and active ppl like you used to see in SRO, or at least in a legit server like Venus.

LOLURGUILDMUSTSUCK

ExSoldier wrote:
What is there that is a copy from WoW? I'm on neither sides but I really dont get when people go "WoW rip-off" on every new MMOs.

Think Silkroad as the generic F2P MMO BS: A not too horrible attempt at design and graphics, zero lore, insane grind sessions and even worst gear acquiring sysyem and near to non-existent end game content with laughable PvP aspect. Now compare it with WoW, almost everything appeared first on WoW and seems to work and now they want to be like WoW. Well who doesn't want to have 11 million X 15 dollars a month?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 pm 
Forum Legend

bakafish wrote:
TheSwift wrote:

LOLURGUILDMUSTSUCK

ExSoldier wrote:

Think Silkroad as the generic F2P MMO BS: A not too horrible attempt at design and graphics, zero lore, insane grind sessions and even worst gear acquiring sysyem and near to non-existent end game content with laughable PvP aspect. Now compare it with WoW, almost everything appeared first on WoW and seems to work and now they want to be like WoW. Well who doesn't want to have 11 million X 15 dollars a month?

I see what you mean there by comparing it to a F2P MMO,then again its a F2P.I'm talking about game with potential(usually P2P)that gets bashed by the whole WoW community. What I meant is that any successful game that has decent PvP,lore,End-Game content is considered a "WoW-ripoff".It would be like saying a successful game cant be anything else than a WoW-ripoff

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 pm 
Veteran Member

ExSoldier wrote:
bakafish wrote:
TheSwift wrote:

LOLURGUILDMUSTSUCK

ExSoldier wrote:

I see what you mean there by comparing it to a F2P MMO,then again its a F2P.I'm talking about game with potential(usually P2P)that gets bashed by the whole WoW community. What I meant is that any successful game that has decent PvP,lore,End-Game content is considered a "WoW-ripoff".It would be like saying a successful game cant be anything else than a WoW-ripoff

Not me.

WoW was successful so they had to be doing something right. Hence the rip offs. And Blizzard enjoys WoW being #1 and tries to keep the spot with updates etc., making it even harder to break the barrier to a new gen MMO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:59 pm 
Forum Legend

ExSoldier wrote:

WoW is the first 3D sucesfull MMORPG. Every MMORPG that comes out after it looks at it, and they have too, if they want millions to subscripe as well.

There are no ' new' MMO's, just ones that look a bit different.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:21 pm 
Veteran Member

While i have not played and have no intention of playing Aion as it never appealed to me. They will not be able to compete with Blizzard. In my opinion, this is just a lot of hot air about an over-hyped game and will soon blow over.

On the subject of graphics, i always liked WoW's graphics. The cartoon style adds to the fantasy genre without having to try too hard to be realistic. Games arent meant to be realistic, especially fantasy games.

And lets face it. WoW has around 15million subscribers, and the warcraft brand has been around for more than 10 years. Aion has no chance of competing with it.

So let the fanboys enjoy their time boasting about Aion. We all know who plays the superior game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:53 pm 
Forum God

SM-Count wrote:
People who hate on WoW are insecure about how much they like their own games despite the vast inadequacies they know exist thus they have to talk about only the good points contrasting with perceived weak points in WoW so they may forget their own miserable experience with said inadequacies. i.e. I just laugh when people hate on other games with no logic and all opinion

This can be true, but what about those people who doesnt play any game that say that WoW sucks, what about them?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:59 am 
Loyal Member

HejsaN wrote:
SM-Count wrote:

This can be true, but what about those people who doesnt play any game that say that WoW sucks, what about them?

Well... come to find out... when you make them play WoW, they normally like it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:41 pm 
Elite Member

Priam wrote:
ExSoldier wrote:

WoW is the first 3D sucesfull MMORPG. Every MMORPG that comes out after it looks at it, and they have too, if they want millions to subscripe as well.

Lineage wasn't that unsuccessful, I don't really think wow pioneered the genre.

<< :giveup:>>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 pm 

Even SRO is starting to imitate WoW (though it's pretty late). In the latest Legend and in previous patches, they added some elements that are WoW-ish.

The new GUI looks a lot like WoW.
They added instances that have bosses dropping coins.
You can turn in the coins for gears.
These gears that are separate from the degree system have tiers (Set A > Set B).
Sockets on items - different from the alchemy system.
Slash commands.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:35 pm 
Advanced Member

Prophet Izaach wrote:
Even SRO is starting to imitate WoW (though it's pretty late). In the latest Legend and in previous patches, they added some elements that are WoW-ish.

The new GUI looks a lot like WoW.
They added instances that have bosses dropping coins.
You can turn in the coins for gears.
These gears that are separate from the degree system have tiers (Set A > Set B).
Sockets on items - different from the alchemy system.
Slash commands.

How about how close the 11D protector shoulder is in looks to hunter T3/T7? ;P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 pm 
Advanced Member

woutR wrote:
Priam wrote:
ExSoldier wrote:

Lineage wasn't that unsuccessful, I don't really think wow pioneered the genre.

I would definitely say WoW pioneered the genre simply due to them absolutely crushing the competition to the point where every new game that comes out has to ask the question: "Is it as good or better than WoW?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 am 
Forum Legend

Prophet Izaach wrote:
Slash commands.

I'm pretty sure Slash commands wasnt first used by WoW...I used to play an MMO released before WoW with slash commands :P
Also for the "SRO copying WoW",dosnt SRO have a Arena PvP in the latest Legend?

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:36 pm 

all blizzard games since atleast WC have had / commands.

DOTA2, Age of Conan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:00 pm 
Casual Member

http://www.mpog.com/discussion2.cfm/thr ... 204/page/1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:41 pm 

TheSwift wrote:
http://www.mpog.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/243204/page/1

I read the RNG problem before. I really got disappointed with Aion from that reading but I just considered it as part of the gameplay. Or maybe NCSoft will decide to fix it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:46 am 
Loyal Member

Reading through the simplicity thing, I think that will be WoW downfall after Cataclysm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:34 am 
Veteran Member

I just wanted to add something i realized... Void Rondo = Disenchant.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:12 am 
Forum Legend

Skullbasher62 wrote:
all blizzard games since atleast WC have had / commands.

Im pretty sure there was MMOs or even MUDs with slash commands way before WC. Ima give props for Slash Commands to Windows CMD :P

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:14 am 
Veteran Member

Zero_Doom wrote:
Reading through the simplicity thing, I think that will be WoW downfall after Cataclysm.

Not gonna happen. Moar QQ on lv40 epic ground mount plx.