Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Paladin or Rogue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:41 pm 
Veteran Member

Okay, little backstory here... I have 2 BoA daggers which i brought for my twink hunter a long time ago, along with leather shoulders. Also, last night while leveling my herbalism, i killed a random mob and got this sexy looking thing.

So, having given up on my shadow priest at level 54 (burns mana like a bitch), i decided to make a new alt. Either rogue or paladin.

Would like some opinions on what i should choose. I will mainly PvE and will be on a Normal realm, but i do like to do WG and pvp sometimes. I also like to see big numbers, but didnt mind tanking on my DK, so either is good.

Opinions?

Post subject: Re: Paladin or Rogue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:03 pm 
Elite Member

Rogue because rogue is awesome and paladin is gay.

Seriously though: a pala will run oom 24/7 too, just like your shadowpriest. Rogues are great levelers with a lot of oh shit buttons. It's versatile and you can go many ways, like shadowstepping a level to change it up a bit, and then going muti and then combat. While pala is stuck with just ret and like 3-4 spells.
I think pala DPS has got to be the most easy and boring spec to play.

<< :giveup:>>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:36 pm 
Ex-Staff

Rogue because rogue is awesome and paladin is, indeed, gay. Also, rogue PvE = ez mode, paladin just has people screaming at you.

"What do you mean you can't tank through the boss, the adds, the trash, the spells, dps, and heal at the same time? What kind of shitty paladin are you?"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:51 pm 
Elite Member

woutR wrote:
Rogue because rogue is awesome and paladin is gay.

Seriously though: a pala will run oom 24/7 too, just like your shadowpriest. Rogues are great levelers with a lot of oh shit buttons. It's versatile and you can go many ways, like shadowstepping a level to change it up a bit, and then going muti and then combat. While pala is stuck with just ret and like 3-4 spells.
I think pala DPS has got to be the most easy and boring spec to play.

l2play paladin scrub.

oom 24/7? I never go oom as a ret paladin. I'm pretty sure paladins have the two best oh shit buttons out there. Bubble and Lay on Hands.

To answer your question, I'd say paladin. We level damn fast as ret and we are incredibly versatile. We can be great dps, great tank, and great healer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:25 am 
Advanced Member

As a pally tank, go rogue. If your server is anything like mine, we don't need more Farking Retardins taking up DPS spots, and certainly don't need FotM Farking pally tank rerolls clogging up everything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:46 am 
Veteran Member

atm im siding towards rogue more after watching some videos on you tube. I was planning on leveling as a prot pally and doing the whole AoE grinding thingy, but it looks slow and boring. Just consecrate and then auto attack - Its like "Oh look at me, i have fire coming out of my feet that hurts mobs!". Correct me if im wrong, but thats basically it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:20 am 
Advanced Member

Just a little more then that. =p

Code: Select all

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:57 am 
Forum Legend

Rogue.

Anyways.

Your Shadowpriest shouldn't be running OOM, mine wasn't ever on that level. Are you sure you've used the right spec?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:25 pm 
Veteran Member

Priam wrote:
Rogue.

Anyways.

Your Shadowpriest shouldn't be running OOM, mine wasn't ever on that level. Are you sure you've used the right spec?

This is the spec i have now: Armory

All i do is dot then mind flay. Been leveling it up while i decide what to make next, but it goes oom after about 3 mobs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:15 pm 
Forum Legend

I usually did:

1. Power word: Shield
2. Mind blast > Pain > Mind flay x1 or 2, usually very little let after this, which i wanded down.

Then spirit tap kicks in, bam, mana back.

EDIT:

I see ur 58, which means outlands. Get the early outland gear, that's when i gets really easy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:48 pm 

its really creepy, there are waaay too many pally.. especially low lvl blood elves.. while playing my mage (now lvl 10), every player I see passing by is a pally.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:52 pm 
Veteran Member

Okay so i like to change my mind alot... My friend let me play on his 68 rogue and i didnt like it much. PvE was ok, and i did Sethekk Halls with some friends, but then i tried some BG's and i hated it. Having to be stealthed and behind your target for most skills is really annoying.

So i made a protadin. Currently level 11 :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:46 am 
Casual Member

Paladin ofc.

Rogue will give you HARD time grinding. You often get quests asking you to kill bla bla bla who is usually guarded by 2-3 guys. You can't do it on your own as a rogue.

As a paladin, you can fit as a dps, healer or tanker in a party. I usually do the 3, 1 main and 2 back up. Also pallies never run out of mana, especially Ret pallies. I've seen prot pallies not running out of mana either. They're also a bit OP so you'll have fun pvping and doing BGs.

Wot I like about rogues is being stealthy. Helps a bit but they can't take on many ppl on their own do you to the lack of healing.

My experience > lvl 74 pally and a 3x rogue o.O

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:10 pm 
Elite Member

You're doing it wrong if you can't take down someone guarded by just 1 or 2 adds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:47 pm 
Loyal Member

Am I the only one here with an 80 Rogue?

Some insight into your time as a 68 Rogue. You were playing as a Subtlety specced rogue. The reason I can tell... all your skills as a Subtlety spec require being stealthed, behind the target. Thus you have Shadowstep and Shadow Dance. woutR said it, a Rogue is 100% versatility. You can switch between each spec and pull off absolutely awesome dps. It does take some work though.

PvP has to be the easiest thing on a rogue. As a Muti-daggers spec I push over 1600 dps on other players. My 80 hunter, fully pvp geared, only pushes about 1100ish on other players. In combat spec, I am generally in the top 5 dpser's in a raid and Ret Paly's aren't even close. Only thing higher than myself are normally other Rogues or Shammy's (OP Class...).

In the end, it all comes down to how you want to play. Rogue's take work and skill to play. You have to learn how to do it, when to do certain things, and what works on what mobs. From what I can tell through partying with the over population of Paly's is that it is about the same skill level as a hunter. You learn the rotation of skills, and follow them in order accordingly... every boss... every mob... every player... the rotation, buttons, skills, they are all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:26 pm 
Elite Member

Zero_Doom wrote:

Some insight into your time as a 68 Rogue. You were playing as a Subtlety specced rogue. The reason I can tell... all your skills as a Subtlety spec require being stealthed, behind the target. Thus you have Shadowstep and Shadow Dance. woutR said it, a Rogue is 100% versatility. You can switch between each spec and pull off absolutely awesome dps. It does take some work though.

PvP has to be the easiest thing on a rogue. As a Muti-daggers spec I push over 1600 dps on other players. My 80 hunter, fully pvp geared, only pushes about 1100ish on other players. In combat spec, I am generally in the top 5 dpser's in a raid and Ret Paly's aren't even close. Only thing higher than myself are normally other Rogues or Shammy's (OP Class...).

In the end, it all comes down to how you want to play. Rogue's take work and skill to play. You have to learn how to do it, when to do certain things, and what works on what mobs. From what I can tell through partying with the over population of Paly's is that it is about the same skill level as a hunter. You learn the rotation of skills, and follow them in order accordingly... every boss... every mob... every player... the rotation, buttons, skills, they are all the same.

I for one have seen a rogue do over 7k in a raid while I was back at 5k. For good reason though. Paladins have a ton more raid saving moves. They have buffs. They are way more crucial to the strategy of a fight rather than the sit there and mash buttons to get dps up.

We have a move that can reduce 30% of all raid damage taken. We can LoH tank if he's getting down real low and a healer is a bit far behind. Hand of Protection a clothie getting beat on by some stray mob. Rogues just sit there and mash buttons on the mob. They don't have buffs or anything really for the raid.

I see Rogue as more of a solo class. Just watch out for yourself. Whereas Paladins can help pretty much everyone out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm 
Loyal Member

.curve wrote:
Zero_Doom wrote:

I for one have seen a rogue do over 7k in a raid while I was back at 5k. For good reason though. Paladins have a ton more raid saving moves. They have buffs. They are way more crucial to the strategy of a fight rather than the sit there and mash buttons to get dps up.

We have a move that can reduce 30% of all raid damage taken. We can LoH tank if he's getting down real low and a healer is a bit far behind. Hand of Protection a clothie getting beat on by some stray mob. Rogues just sit there and mash buttons on the mob. They don't have buffs or anything really for the raid.

I see Rogue as more of a solo class. Just watch out for yourself. Whereas Paladins can help pretty much everyone out.

Who wants to be the buffer in a party instead of being at the top of dps charts? Not I.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:06 pm 
Veteran Member

Well im currently level 23 and im really enjoying it. Much more than i did my priest at this level. My friend made a new char too so we've been questing together since about level 15. Resto shaman and protadin. Not the fastest team, but there isn't anything we haven't been able to do yet. Even orange group quests.

As far as what Curve said, i actually enjoy helping others. On my DK if there was a stray mob hitting on a clothie, i would of pulled it onto me so the tank could pick it up. Sure, seeing yourself at the top of recount is awesome, but if doing something other than damage helps the group, then you should do it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:11 am 

Lempi wrote:
Well im currently level 23 and im really enjoying it. Much more than i did my priest at this level. My friend made a new char too so we've been questing together since about level 15. Resto shaman and protadin. Not the fastest team, but there isn't anything we haven't been able to do yet. Even orange group quests.

As far as what Curve said, i actually enjoy helping others. On my DK if there was a stray mob hitting on a clothie, i would of pulled it onto me so the tank could pick it up. Sure, seeing yourself at the top of recount is awesome, but if doing something other than damage helps the group, then you should do it.

You should lvl as enhance/ret.
You can still kill most anything and both can still heal.

About the whole pally vs rogue discussion.

If you're in a dps spec, you should top meters. It's fun to be high. My mage tends to do quite well while being in heroic gear. If I wanted to bring support, I'd be a support class aka a tank or a healer which is the reason I'm rolling a Shammy alt.

Then again I love moonkins and ele shammies in a group. They increase my pewpewpew.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:13 pm 
Loyal Member

Through pvping with a paly today, I found that paly's are more OP than rogues. After disarming the paly, he continued to do damage. No other melee class in the game can pull that off. xP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:03 pm 
Elite Member

Feral druids can. I've been disarmed as a cat by npc stuff, never noticed a change in how fast I killed them though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:27 pm 

feral weapon = statstick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:52 pm 
Loyal Member

takolin wrote:
feral weapon = statstick

statstick = not really disarmed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 pm 
Veteran Member

So i tanked SM Armory just now and i really enjoyed tanking. Wasnt too much pressure and the druid healer was great. Little hard tanking with limited ways of gaining back mana and taunting mobs, but other than that it was simple.