Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shall I start WoW?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:18 pm 
Casual Member

Hey guys,

I've recently got that 10 day trial, and I never really knew much about WoW, but now I've started playing it I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Can someone quickly explain to me how it works with expansions (Classic, Wrath of lich king) etc, and what type of character is recommended for starters?

Thanks in advance :>

Johri.

... ETC. HAHA CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY THIS AWESOME GAME AGAIN.. :giveup:
Damn.. I miss my character so much... I made a lvl 1 char just to be ingame!!!!!11111 :slap:

Post subject: Re: Shall I start WoW?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:47 pm 
Advanced Member

The expansions add later content to the game, so they aren't crucial immediately. BC adds Lv60+ content and WotLK adds Lv70+ content. More storyline etc etc

As for character class, read up about what each class and spec does, and choose one that sounds the most enjoyable. If you can't decide based on that, level one of each class to ~20, as you'll get a decent feel for what the class is like by that point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:52 pm 
Casual Member

Hmm, okay. Do you know anything about upgrading a trial account to a normal account? As in, will I still need to buy WoW classic CD etc?

Damn.. I miss my character so much... I made a lvl 1 char just to be ingame!!!!!11111 :slap:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:17 pm 
Valued Member

You must buy wow clasic otherwise they other onces are usseless til you are 60

Last edited by Bleed4Me on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:54 pm 
Elite Member

Johri wrote:
Hmm, okay. Do you know anything about upgrading a trial account to a normal account? As in, will I still need to buy WoW classic CD etc?

You can upgrade your account online with credit card and a variety of of other payment options. You will need every single game and expansion, starting from classic, to reach level 80. If you don't buy the expansion(s) you will be stuck at that specific level cap. If you don't buy The Burning Crusade you won't be able to level past level 60.
The expansions unlock a new area and new level cap.

'Classic' 1-60
The Burning Crusade 60-70
Wrath of the Lich King 70-80

There is (or was) the option to get a trial for each expansion individually. These trials entitle you to 10 free days of play, but restrict you to 2-3 levels.
This means you can get extra gametime. Just sign up for the trial and you get 10 days playing time extra. (Do not upgrade your account before you get the trial. You can't get a trial of something you already own)

Ideally, this is how your journey to level 80 should be account wise:
Start 10 day trial for Classic, upgrade to full Classic as soon as you reach level 20
Level to 60
Start ~10 day trial for The Burning Crusade
When you reach the level cap of this trial, upgrade to The Burning Crusade
Level to 70
Start ~10 day trial for Wrath of the Lich King
When you reach the level cap of this trial, upgrade to Wrath of the Lich King

Strictly theoretical this gives you a month of free game time from trials. Combined with the free game time on the Classic purchase (60 days afaik) you have 90 days of free time.
In the same time you are buying all the expansions, so it's not like you're playing free at all. You're just not paying for game time.

Have fun in wow. It was the best MMO I ever played for sure, just don't take it too serious :wink:

<< :giveup:>>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:15 pm 
Casual Member

woutR wrote:
Johri wrote:

You can upgrade your account online with credit card and a variety of of other payment options. You will need every single game and expansion, starting from classic, to reach level 80. If you don't buy the expansion(s) you will be stuck at that specific level cap. If you don't buy The Burning Crusade you won't be able to level past level 60.

'Classic' 1-60

There is (or was) the option to get a trial for each expansion individually. These trials entitle you to 10 free days of play, but restrict you to 2-3 levels.
This means you can get extra gametime. Just sign up for the trial and you get 10 days playing time extra. (Do not upgrade your account before you get the trial. You can't get a trial of something you already own)

Start 10 day trial for Classic, upgrade to full Classic as soon as you reach level 20
Level to 60
Level to 70

Strictly theoretical this gives you a month of free game time from trials. Combined with the free game time on the Classic purchase (60 days afaik) you have 90 days of free time.
In the same time you are buying all the expansions, so it's not like you're playing free at all. You're just not paying for game time.

Have fun in wow. It was the best MMO I ever played for sure, just don't take it too serious :wink:

Dude, that was really freaking helpful :3 I'm liking this more and more as I play it more, only level 11 atm (Nearly level 12), currently got a gnome mage lol. Trial accounts can't use auction/whisper etc, that's kinda annoying, but dayum I like questing in this game. o.O

Mining is kinda cool as well, got level 60 so far ;o can't wait to get mount tbh.

Hmm, will those 60 free days get me to level 60? :P then I won't have to buy game time before the next trial ends? :)

Ahwell, gonna sleep for now, thanks for the reply woutR :]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:20 am 

60 days will definitely get you to 60. Hell, people can go from 1-80 in less than a month.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:57 am 
Casual Member

Prophet Izaach wrote:
60 days will definitely get you to 60. Hell, people can go from 1-80 in less than a month.

Yeah well, I'd play 2-3 hours a day max ;o

I just read some reviews on the site I'm planning to buy Classic from, it says you get 1 free month. 1 month at 2/3h a day could get me to 60? :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:42 am 
Veteran Member

Could get you to 80 to be honest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:28 pm 
Elite Member

Johri wrote:
Prophet Izaach wrote:

Yeah well, I'd play 2-3 hours a day max ;o

I just read some reviews on the site I'm planning to buy Classic from, it says you get 1 free month. 1 month at 2/3h a day could get me to 60? :P

Oh it's one month, thought it was two free months from classic. Oh well. If you use questing mods getting to level 60 with 2-3 hours a day should not be a problem in 30 days.
But take your time. End game isn't all that, and I really enjoyed leveling for the first time just doing random stuff.
Getting mounts really speeds up your leveling a lot. I always sucked at moneymaking, but everything is so inflated right now I wouldn't be too surprised that there are some low level stuff that sells for enough to get the cash for a mount. (i.e. copper ore / gems that come from them)

<< :giveup:>>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:43 pm 
Casual Member

Quest mods? ;o

I'm aiming for 75+ mining today, got a nice amount of copper bars in my bank. ^^ Will sell those when I have the full account. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:51 pm 
Veteran Member

http://www.carboniteaddon.com/

Get that mod, its free of course. It's pretty straightforward, adds a map, adds quest tracking stuff, it directs you to areas where you can do quests, you can set the map to show quest givers etc, its really nice. I still use it at 80 for the map and daily quests.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:36 pm 
Casual Member

Hmm, can anyone give me a quick walkthrough regarding addons? Are they legit, how do they help, etc? Thanks :>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:34 pm 
Valued Member

There are no must have addons anymore but anyways http://www.wowinterface.com/find.php search a bit here u find some nice addons ^^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:42 pm 

Addons are legal in this game, they are open source. The two mainsites for this are wowinterface (linked above) or Curse. I would stick to these two sites and maybe one or two others. Carbonite is a great addon, but isn't strictly necessary anymore for questing. Blizzard added its own in game questhelper style thing. If it's not on by default, you can turn it on by going into the interface options (press the ESC key) to turn it on. I can't remember where the option is exactly, but you should be able to find it fairly easily. Then press your M key to bring up the map and you will have all the help you need in completing your quests.

Grace wrote:
First make yourself smile, then work on the rest of the world.

STATUS: Currently trying to figure out how to make myself smile.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:22 pm 
Casual Member

Mmk thanks for the clarification, I just ordered WoW Classic, should be here tomorrow ^^ Leveling a Dwarf Paladin now, like it a lot more than I like the gnome mage :P would it be helpful to get Blacksmithing second profession if I have Mining first? As in, I could make my own gear.. :>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 pm 
Common Member

Just for your information you could order it from blizzard directly and download it. You can do the same for the expansions.

Yes mining and blacksmith go well together as do
mining and jewel crafting
mining and engineering
herbalism and inscription
herbalism and alchemy
tailoring has not second job need to provide mats same with enchanting

not so much making your on gear but at the higher levels you get bonuses like blacksmith can make extra gem sockets for his hands and bracers. With the looking for dungeon tool you an get nice gear from dungeons you can run at your level and at the lower level dungeons the wait is alot better then at the 70+ level ones so you should get some nice gear on your way up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:45 am 
Forum God

woutR wrote:
Johri wrote:

'Classic' 1-60

Level to 60
Level to 70

nope 70 days FREE total the 10 day trials for expansions are still counted within your game time there isnt really a benefit to doing the trial unless your not sure about getting the expansion is all

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:47 am 
Forum God

Johri wrote:
Mmk thanks for the clarification, I just ordered WoW Classic, should be here tomorrow ^^ Leveling a Dwarf Paladin now, like it a lot more than I like the gnome mage :P would it be helpful to get Blacksmithing second profession if I have Mining first? As in, I could make my own gear.. :>

go horde and avoid been called a f@g online and in real life. if you play alliance your friends will think your gay and leave you, your family will disown you and banks will deny you credit because you play alliance. save your self play horde

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 am 
Advanced Member

[SD]Master_Wong wrote:
Johri wrote:

go horde and avoid been called a f@g online and in real life. if you play alliance your friends will think your gay and leave you, your family will disown you and banks will deny you credit because you play alliance. save your self play horde

Or he could stay Alliance, because he wants to play Alliance, instead of being a poser in thinking "hurr durr Horde is kewl"?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:27 am 
Forum Legend

First of all,you won't regrett playing WoW. Its by far the best MMO I'v played.Since playing WoW Iv kinda stopped playing F2Ps.

I had the great chance of being able to play on my friends account for 6 months(I didnt even had to pay). Leveling is really easy in this game, Lv80 seems like a big number but its not hard.As for the class I'd suggest you Warlock. You get a pet which makes Questing easier and you have awesome DPS & CC.

Although,if I where'd you I'd play WarcraftIII+TheFrozenThrone to know a bit more about the lore so you get to know what the Raids are about.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:51 am 
Casual Member

For now I'm sticking with my paladin, I like it as I'm able to heal myself while tanking 4 mobs lolol. Not sure which spec to choose yet, kinda leaning towards Ret as I believe it's easier for leveling. If I go Ret specs, can I still learn the other tree's skills?

Thanks! :>

Btw, Blacksmithing is working out pretty good so far, I made my own armor set and it's the best I can currently get I think. In lower levels it helps for sure, can always unlearn it at later levels if I think I need something else ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:03 am 

Ret is indeed the best to level.
And yes you can always respec at any time of the day by visiting your class trainer and paying him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm 
Casual Member

Just got my copy, installing now, taking quite long :P huge file as well lol. Is that file getting a lot bigger?

Thxxx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:26 pm 

Atm my wow file is 20 gigabytes with 2 expansions and some addons though they don't take up that much space.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:49 pm 
Casual Member

Done installing, patching for now, should have enough space. Fun part is, getting Windows 7 in 2-3 weeks lol, so I'll have to do this all over again.

Does WoW run smooth on Windows 7? Using XP professional atm, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:07 pm 
Loyal Member

Johri wrote:
Done installing, patching for now, should have enough space. Fun part is, getting Windows 7 in 2-3 weeks lol, so I'll have to do this all over again.

Does WoW run smooth on Windows 7? Using XP professional atm, lol.

I'd assume it does, Blizzard would be too stupid to let it not run on Windows 7. I know it runs completely fin on Vista Professional.

What server on you on?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:45 pm 
Casual Member

Umm, can't remember exact name, was recently changed from PvP to normal I believe. :x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Johri wrote:
Umm, can't remember exact name, was recently changed from PvP to normal I believe. :x

No you won't have too, I upgraded from Vista to Win7 with all my Software & Games,including WoW.(Only AutoCAD 2006 didn't want to work). If you upgrade you don;t have to reformat.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 am 
Veteran Member

Darrowmere was it?