Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blacksmithing or Jewelcrafting?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:41 am 
Veteran Member

I currently have 450 Alchemy and 433 Leatherworking on my Paladin, and I am going to drop LW in favour of either JC or BS but I'm not sure which.

I'm not interested in profiting from them, although I know I could do that best with JC if I put in some work. I just want to improve my character as a raider as gold is a non-issue.

After looking at the differences, I'm not sure which I should take.

LW: +130 Attack Power / 102 Stamina Bracer enchant - 80 AP / 62 Stamina above regular enchants (Obviously as the enchant is pure AP, it doesn't scale with buffs or talents)

BS: 2 Additional sockets equalling 40 Strength (80 AP, scalling with talents and buffs) or 60 Stamina.
JC: 3x 34 Strength gems equalling a 42 Stength increase over normal epic gems (84 AP, scalling ofc) or 63 Stamina above regular epic gems.

Purely for the best character improvement, JC is best for both Ret (my main spec) and Prot.

What are your opinions on this? I was considering dropping both my professions in favour of BS and JC, but Alchemy gives a nice boost through Mixology. Also I do make most of my gold with Alchemy.

Post subject: Re: Blacksmithing or Jewelcrafting?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:00 am 

If you care enough to min/max roll JC'ing coupled with either BS or engineering. The choice between engineering and BS is class dependent.

If you do not care, get whatever you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:56 am 
Chronicle Writer

Aside from the very minor advantage JC has over BS i think it's real strength is the skill itself. I found myself spending too much money on gems often having to regem most of my gear to account or hit/exp loses or haste/AP changes with just a single piece of gear making the difference. If that piece of gear wasn't Gloves or Bracers if i had stuck with BS i'd have been in an awkward spot.

Conversely in Cata, BS will offer alot of useful items for lvling or fresh 85 and you'll be able to make all your own epic gear when new recipes come up in new patches and the socketing bonus isn't bad either. Even now the socket bonus only puts it behind JC by 4 points.

I think at the end of the day the difference between the two professions is negligible in terms of stats gained. If you're choosing between the two you should choose the one you think you'll get the most use out of for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:00 pm 
Veteran Member

I am now thinking of dropping LW and Alchemy and getting BS and JC. I think in Cataclysm both of them will be goldmines. Although people will need flasks too, but I can easily level Alchemy on an alt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:13 am 
Chronicle Writer

do you have an alt with mining or something cause...thats going to be a small fortune...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:09 am 
Veteran Member

Gold is a non-issue, but I do have a 450 miner too so I won't be buying everything from AH. Though even if I did, with the amount of gold I have atm, it still wouldn't make me "poor".

The amount of gold easily available in wrath is just so insane when you have several 80s.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:19 pm 

If it were me, I would just opt in for JC.
Not only will you be able to supply your main and alts with cheaper cuts, but if you can get ahead of the crowd for Catalcylsm in terms of dominating the AH with gems, then you'll be making a lot more money then what you could be making from BS (imo). Also, if you just focus on one profession, then you'll be saving yourself a lot of time, especially when Cataclysm comes out.

Also, random but Lempi who's that in your avatar?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:14 am 
Veteran Member

I went with Jewelcrafting. It cost me about 7k to get from 1 to 450 and I made about 3k back from selling what I made so it wasn't too bad. I will keep alchemy for now and see what happens to it in Cataclysm.

And I have no idea who she is. Just some random pic I found that I thought was funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am 
Chronicle Writer

you remind me of John Hammond from Jurassic Park....spare no expense