Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: New to WoW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:00 am 
Common Member

i just got the ten day trial.... what do i have to go out and buy when my trial is up? thx sorry if im asking stupid questions..

Post subject: Re: New to WoW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:05 am 
Loyal Member

Location: The world has an ending, now you must find this ending.
Buy the World of warcraft battle chest and world of warcraft lich king if you wanna get to 80. Cataclysm if u wanna get to 85 (cata comes out in a week~)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 am 

You can buy a battle chest for 10 dollar and WotLK for 10 doller until the 30th of november from their e-store.

Same offer works in the EU as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:06 am 
Common Member

alright thanks, how do i find a wow community? just play and meet people? or..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:38 am 

Former SRO players in this forum are scattered around different servers, US and EU. There are some who play together but we don't have a singular <SRF> guild.

I would suggest going for a highly populated server but at this point of the game, it's probably a bad idea as once the new expansion drops, que times to log in are going to be horrible in those servers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:20 am 
Common Member

If you know any friends in real life who play the game, definitely join the realm with them, they may be able to help you out. Otherwise your going to have an extremely long and boring road ahead of you which consists of spending alot of your time getting to Level 80, and then finding a guild which are looking for raiders, and are willing to help you get geared (Thought it's not very hard to get geared with the new implementation of the Justice Points system).

Just go with people you know, the WoW community is a great one, join an Oceanic Realm if your Australian/Chinese/Vietnamese etc. Join an American Realm if your from America. Simple. Look for a high populated one, your more likely to find players that you will talk to for your whole WoW experience if you do, there are alot of new active players who have just started out, like you.

Goodluck in your WoW endeavors, feel free to PM me if you ever need a hand with anything.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:19 am 
Forum God

if you want someone to talk to or a possible guild i can help but with cata coming i think i can safly say most current level 80's will be busy with alts or mains so your starting experiance might be a tad crap, give it a couple of weeks and the starting zones will be buzzing again with less commited players so you will prolly come to love the interations

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 am 
Common Member

alright thanks for the replies. yes i found a school friend who also plays wow and i will join his realm thing lol. can you transfer your character to different realms or servers or how does all that work?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:23 am 

You can transfer characters to any realm you want for $25.00, but I don't think you can transfer characters say from a US server to an EU one.

Once in a while, depending on your server, you can get a free realm transfer. Free ones are very limited though. They're usually offered to realms that are very populated, and you can only transfer characters from that realm to selected realms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:23 am 
Elite Member

Well I guess I'll make use of this thread and ask a couple questions:

I now have the option to play WoW but I'm quite hesitant and I probably won't actually do it since I don't have that much time to play and I'm also afraid that I might get addicted and neglect studies, so my question(s) to you are, do you feel that the money you "waste" on WoW is worth it?
How much time do you play daily?
How many of you guys support the cost on your own with the money you get from your job?
I have fun playing other free/one-time fee games, will WoW be even more fun or aslong as I keep myself entertained with less costly games I shouldn't get into WoW?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:04 am 
Forum God

wow you can have fun whether you put the time in or not, ofc more effort you put in the mroe you get out but many people out there have jobs familys etc so only play weekends getting cap will take longer but nothing like silkroad and once your cap you can get half decent gear with a day of dungeons

im only playing 10-16hours a week down from 30 im stil having fun

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:58 pm 
Forum Legend

even 10 hours a day is still quite a commitment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:56 am 
Frequent Member

IceCrash wrote:

The top guild in the world raids only 3 times a week or so. In 3 hour intervals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:03 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

@Cyanide
WoW is a lot more social than SRO (imo at least), so it's actually pretty easy to find people in-game who you get along with & have similiar interests with. Especially now that you can run instances with people from other servers using LFD...you can find all sorts of interesting and fun people as long as you actually make an effort (ex: putting yourself out there and talking, and not being a jerk xP). It might take a while to find the right place that you feel that you really fit in, but that's to be expected.
You might need to switch servers a few times, but a lot of WoW players do that. I played alliance on a RP server for 2 years before I switched to horde...and this new server actually feels like home to me and I can't imagine spending my time in-game anywhere else.

@Thee_UniQue
Honestly a lot of that depends completely on YOU. If you find you're the kind of person to easily get drawn into games and *accidently* spend an entire day sitting in front of one while neglecting other things...maybe you shouldn't start if you have a lot on your plate. I know a lot of people who have started WoW just to waste a few random hours every week, or half an hour every evening...but end up spending at least twice as long online as they'd originally planned. It IS an addictive game if it's your style of game.

And, I have never felt like I've wasted my money on WoW. I run a fairly big guild on WoW, which we recently had to split up into multiple smaller guilds because we were way over the guild cap limit when Cataclysm came out. I spend a lot more than the average WoW player each month (anywhere between $75-$300 a month including the monthly fee), but this goes towards our guild site, guild vent, contest & event rewards...and sometimes pitching in to help guildies out irl if they're strapped for cash or need a loan till payday. I also have 2 co-gms that constantly pitch in each month as well towards the costs of those things too...but we do it because the guild is our passion, not because we have to. Honestly if I ever felt that even the $17 I pay each month just to play was EVER wasted, I would take a break...and if it still felt that way after a break I would quit. Games are meant to be fun, when it stops being fun people need to learn to either take a break or move on.

I play anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours daily...though keep in mind some weeks I don't log in at all due to being busy at work, having family over, or just being a bit bored of it at the time. I used to love playing for hours and hours at a time, but I realized how bad it was for me in so many ways so I cut back drastically, and I'm so glad I did. Real life should ALWAYS come before your game time, once you find the balance you're golden.

All of the money I spend on any games comes from my job. Sometimes I make sure to get a few extra hours or days in if I want to buy a pet from the blizzard store...or want to pitch in for a guildie to buy a new video card. But, I've been out of school for years now and work fulltime so I can afford it a bit easier than a student (generally - not saying I'm rich, haha. I have a lot of roommates to split rent with), or someone fresh out of school.

As for other games...I'm not really sure how to answer that. I know a lot of people who started to play WoW...and now that is basically all they ever play, because they say that WoW has ruined other games for them. That is not true at all...games aren't meant to be completely the same. Nobody really wants to play the same version of Tetris but with a different title.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:16 am 
Forum Legend

piootr wrote:
IceCrash wrote:

The top guild in the world raids only 3 times a week or so. In 3 hour intervals.

i see

meh, might consider this as well as unique

man, boa sorte, e cuidado xD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:13 pm 
Elite Member

Haha, ando a ver se nao me vicio xD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:52 am 
Forum Legend

Cullen wrote:

Not entirely true. I made a bunch of friends while leveling to 80. Leveling is actually not too bad. :)

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:40 pm 

piootr wrote:
IceCrash wrote:

Don't forget the stupid amount of time they put into the game outside of raiding, whether it be researching, gearing, gathering mats, playing beta (n/a now i know)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 pm 
Elite Member

Sovereign wrote:
piootr wrote:
IceCrash wrote:

Don't forget the stupid amount of time they put into the game outside of raiding, whether it be researching, gearing, gathering mats, playing beta (n/a now i know)

I do believe they put about the same amount of time into theorycrafting as they do actually playing.

For pretty much everything in this game there is a formula, so number crunching is as simple as plugging in your variables and doing the math.