Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Iron Man
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:57 am 
Forum Legend

You know the drill.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

Post subject: Re: Iron Man
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:06 pm 

Solid work =D

Couple of things that could've been done better though:
-Lightning/Electric effects (especially the ones to the left) might look better if they were a bit sharper.
-Text is too invasive.
-The light behind Ironman's right arm (left of image) is too concentrated and blown-out.
-I do appreciate simplicity but for sigs, you really need to take it a step further. The dark backgrounds might work pretty well for now but sooner or later, you might need to step it up a notch. I'm not suggesting just put a C4D just for the sake of adding it but there really needs to be more. Something like a nice background with some other renders. In this case for example, it could be something like a slightly blurred out view of the city from above. I hope you kinda get my point. =p

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:59 pm 
SRF Herald

I like it :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 pm 
Advanced Member

Increase contrast/saturation
Moar lightning (Like larger lightning in the bg and some minimal lightning on the fg.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:46 pm 
Forum Legend

inky wrote:
Solid work =D

Couple of things that could've been done better though:
-Lightning/Electric effects (especially the ones to the left) might look better if they were a bit sharper.
-Text is too invasive.
-The light behind Ironman's right arm (left of image) is too concentrated and blown-out.
-I do appreciate simplicity but for sigs, you really need to take it a step further. The dark backgrounds might work pretty well for now but sooner or later, you might need to step it up a notch. I'm not suggesting just put a C4D just for the sake of adding it but there really needs to be more. Something like a nice background with some other renders. In this case for example, it could be something like a slightly blurred out view of the city from above. I hope you kinda get my point. =p

Notes taken. I used to do a lot of what your saying, "Nice Background" + "Render" but recently I've been doing my own BGs. As for the effects, I'll try to add more on my next tags. Sometime it's hard because my tags end up looking ugly when there's too many effects.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:12 am 

They don't have to be ugly. It goes without saying that getting the right background and the right effects is a real challenge but that's what separates great work from the average ones. Making your subject look like it's part of the background as opposed to being pasted on top of it makes all the difference. Right lighting, correct angle, precise positioning...all of that comes into play.

Anyway, good luck and keep it up. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:42 am 
Forum Legend

inky wrote:
They don't have to be ugly. It goes without saying that getting the right background and the right effects is a real challenge but that's what separates great work from the average ones. Making your subject look like it's part of the background as opposed to being pasted on top of it makes all the difference. Right lighting, correct angle, precise positioning...all of that comes into play.

I though I actually did good on the blending there :(

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 pm 
SRF's Princess

I really agree on Inky, and also, the V in Marvel looks odd...

But a nice city on the BG would do great, the lightning could "jolt" more, the lighting might've been bigger but I do like where you placed it. It didn't create empty space on the left nor the right, that's what I like most. (just my opinion though)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:06 am 

ExSoldier wrote:
inky wrote:

I though I actually did good on the blending there :(

You do what moves you...art is expressive and interpretive of what moves you...your sig is the way you made it and like it...inky is just giving you his own (or the mainstream) version of what he thinks it should look like based on his own likings or what he feels the masses will find "cool". This is your piece not his.

Create your artwork and showcase it..that's it..Don't change it to suit the needs of anyone..except yourself...It should never matter if people like your work or not but instead if you have translated what you're trying to express it the way you want..If you allow others to dictate what your artwork "should" look like then its not your artwork anymore..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:21 am 

They're guidelines. Deviating from them is part of the creative process but in order for you to make a sound decision on whether or not you want to omit a certain element, you would have to know them first. I know that getting the correct depth-of-field is important when taking photos but going completely out-of-focus and blurring the entire shot may work as well if it is necessary to establish a certain mood or omit certain fine details from a scene. Either way, there has to be a rationale for it.

The blending is good but it can be improved. I'm simply shooting out some tips but he's definitely free to play around with something else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 am 
Veteran Member

BuDo wrote:

You do what moves you...art is expressive and interpretive of what moves you...your sig is the way you made it and like it...Inky is just giving you his own (or mainstream) version of what he thinks it should look like based on his own likings or what he feels the masses will find "cool". This is your piece not his.

Create your artwork and showcase it..that's it..Don't change it to suit the needs of anyone..except yourself...It should never matter if people like your work or not but instead if you have translated what you're trying to express it the way you want..If you allow others to dictate what your artwork "should" look like then its not your artwork anymore..

You have a pretentious stench that is unwavering and that's not an opinion formed solely on this post but the general garbage you spew in GD as well.

Seconds. Art, like everything else, is open to criticism whether it be constructive or not is accepted by most artist especially those who asked for it, thus the purpose of this thread. It does and has followed fundamentals that have proven time and time to work even with something that's not normally lucid like 'art'--either due to how our brains and eyes work or simply how reality should be translated into your art.

Third. Ellipses are not periods or commas.

Lastly. I agree that trying to please the mass's is a slippery slope and usually preserved for those who have no intentions or skill to progress but you're kidding yourself if you think these "dictating" guidelines serve no purpose other than asserting dominance. We have long past the age of original ideas--everything is stolen from something and that something stolen from something further down the time line and morphed into something unrecognizable and these guidelines are the result of that. As perception of what good changes and artist and people alike move on to new inspiration and mediums these guidelines will undoubtedly change along with them. You and your blind eye to criticism is what stifles this growth and are exactly what's wrong with the art world.

Fuck care bears and your rainbow farts.

(Also, to save face I would like to point out I'm not talking about taggers or their sigs specifically but all art forms in general.)

EDIT: goddamit inky, beating my to the punch, I demand you delete your post. I put more effort into mine! :rant: :P

Last edited by Hostage on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:35 am 

inky wrote:
They're guidelines. Deviating from them is part of the creative process but in order for you to make a sound decision on whether or not you want to omit a certain element, you would have to know them first. I know that getting the correct depth-of-field is important when taking photos but going completely out-of-focus and blurring the entire shot may work as well if it is necessary to establish a certain mood or omit certain fine details from a scene. Either way, there has to be a rationale for it.

The blending is good but it can be improved. I'm simply shooting out some tips but he's definitely free to play around with something else.

Again these are you're interpretations of what you'd like to see or what you would have done...there are pieces at many art galleries that you wouldn't even consider art but that would be your interpretation (which wouldn't be wrong or right). Nothing wrong with guidelines but telling him what he "can" do to make his work more appealing or what would make it fit is asking him to hold on to this handrail that is essentially "guidelines"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:38 am 

Hostage wrote:
BuDo wrote:

You do what moves you...art is expressive and interpretive of what moves you...your sig is the way you made it and like it...Inky is just giving you his own (or mainstream) version of what he thinks it should look like based on his own likings or what he feels the masses will find "cool". This is your piece not his.

You have a pretentious stench that is unwavering and that's not an opinion formed solely on this post but the general garbage you spew in GD as well.

Seconds. Art, like everything else, is open to criticism whether it be constructive or not is accepted by most artist especially those who asked for it, thus the purpose of this thread. It does and has followed fundamentals that have proven time and time to work even with something that's not normally lucid like 'art'--either due to how our brains and eyes work or simply how reality should be translated into your art.

Third. Ellipses are not periods or commas.

Lastly. I agree that trying to please the mass's is a slippery slope and usually preserved for those who have no intentions or skill to progress but you're kidding yourself if you think these "dictating" guidelines serve no purpose other than asserting dominance. We have long past the age of originall ideas--everything is stolen from something and that something from stolen from something further down the time line and morphed into something unrecognizable and these guidelines are the result of that. As perception of what good changes and artist and people alike move on to new inspiration and mediums these guidelines will undoubtedly change along with them. You and your blind eye to criticism is what stifles this growth and are exactly what's wrong with art world.

Fuck care bears and your rainbow farts.

(Also, to save face I would like to point out I'm not talking about taggers or their sigs specifically but all art forms in general.)

EDIT: goddamit inky, beating my to the punch, I demand you delete your post. I put more effort into mine! :rant: :P

.....I respect your opinion....because its just that...an opinion....but then again so is my babble...

Last edited by BuDo on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:41 am 
Veteran Member

BuDo wrote:
I respect your opinion....because its just that...an opinion..

You're redundancy is not clever because I already made clear in my first sentence that this was an opinion. Second, I'm disappointed because I was expecting for more of an interesting conversation. I would reply to your post directed at inky but that also is a regurgitation of your previous post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 am 

I am quite aware that the OP or anyone cannot essentially create anything new. But creating something and then having others try to directly influence what it should be after it not being original in the first place just further stifles his creativity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:52 am 
Advanced Member

BuDo wrote:
I am quite aware that the OP or anyone cannot essentially create anything new. But creating something and then having others try to directly influence what it should be after it not being original in the first place just further stifles his creativity

But it's just an opinion.
btw I hard time understanding your weirdly structured sentence.
See what I did there? :sohappy:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:00 am 
Veteran Member

Well let me get this out of the way now so you can't use it as a crutch and or to back peddle later.

ExSoldier wrote:
You know the drill.

This insinuates that this thread is not a form of display alone but also an invitation to critiquing.

Now then. You seems to be under the false illusion that criticism is soul bond and must be executed the moment it is uttered. No. The 'artist' has the free will to take into consideration the criticism directed at their work because not all critique's are given like mindfully. What I might have to critique on a piece could vastly differ from what someone else due to our take on art. Bringing me back to my previous point of 'passing the age of originality'-- what I derive my inspiration from; upbringing, culture, religion, influences, surrounding are what create my perception of art and carry over to my criticism. It's then this criticism that the creator takes into consideration at the same time considering my point of view and thus gaining something new in turn, growth.

This is the point of critiquing, whether you are an artist or not, we all have our own perception of what's aesthetically pleasing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:07 am 
Advanced Member

Hostage wrote:
Well let me get this out of the way now so you can't use it as a crutch and or to back peddle later.

ExSoldier wrote:
You know the drill.

This insinuates that this thread is not a form of display alone but also an invitation to critiquing.

Now then. You seems to be under the false illusion that criticism is soul bond and must be executed the moment it is uttered. No. The 'artist' has the free will to take into consideration the criticism directed at their work because not all critique's are given like mindfully. What I might have to critique on a piece could vastly differ from what someone else due to our take on art. Bringing me back to my previous point of 'passing the age of originality'-- what I derive my inspiration from; upbringing, culture, religion, influences, surrounding are what create my perception of art and carry over to my criticism. It's then this criticism that the creator takes into consideration at the same time considering my point of view and thus gaining something new in turn, growth.

This is the point of critiquing, whether you are an artist or not, we all have our own perception of what's aesthetically pleasing.

Well done Old Chap. Now for some fish and chips.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:25 am 

Hostage wrote:

ExSoldier wrote:
You know the drill.

I can see what it insinuates and I obviously did not agree with it in case you haven't noticed in my first post
Hostage wrote:

If you believe that criticism is what drives growth for an artist (when I say artist I mean real artist) then we have differing opinions on the matter...An artist as such in my opinion has the making of a puppet and not the puppet of his own designs or principles.....for it was his critics that made his brush strokes and tones. To "derive his inspiration from; his upbringing, culture, religion, influences, surrounding" and create a new way to look at something common and NOT have it revert back to looking common or have it deviated from his original works based on what "critics" think is a true artist to me.

Some of the best artist or professionals in other fields never cared for awards, praises or tried to used others to gauge their work.....they simply created...They simply do what they love.....This is the basis of my opinion. You said earlier that art like anything else is subjected to criticism and that is true but inviting this criticism is what I'm against. I clearly saw how inky was having an effect on the OP and choose to express my opinion on the matter. Its OK if you have a problem with my opinion or with me as a person which... I might add... is completely insignificant to me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:45 am 
Advanced Member

I can guarantee a majority of what you consider "real artists" (Stupid phrase - everyone can be an artist) have studied or a basic understanding of the principles and elements of design and yada yada blaa blaa etc. I don't feel like writing paragraphs like Hostage. Who is quite possibly drafting his post right now :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 am 
Veteran Member

Shamewow wrote:
I don't feel like writing paragraphs like Hostage. Who is quite possibly drafting his post right now :roll:

Lol, no. I was on msn making stranglove feel awkward about his sexuality. I was saving my response for later on tonight when I know I would be restless but..what evs. No time like the present. :wink:

BuDo wrote:
Hostage wrote:

ExSoldier wrote:
You know the drill.

I can see what it insinuates and I obviously did not agree with it in case you haven't noticed in my first post

Are you kidding me? The sheer hypocrisy is baffling.

You didn't agree with the wish of the OP to have their worked critiqued instead interjecting your own pretentious opinion on art, trying to convince others of your way, but find it wrong when some one critiqued said work and interpreted it as trying to conform? No, you're right, I didn't notice because I didn't think someone would blatantly contradict their stance like that.

I also find it baffling that for someone who wants to seem like they are promoting an open mind as far as art goes and how critiquing is wrong (or harmful, whatever, it matter very little to me which you choose to stand by) you have an extremely closed minded opinion. It was not his critic that created but his judgment--there is a subtle difference. Critique is bestowed.

I understand for some that the word 'critique' or criticism has a negative connotation which brings the care bears out of people but that does not mean that expressing a criticism falls short of expressing an idea which essentially is all it is. I hate having to reiterate myself but like I said it's the sharing of perception of art.

You speak of self criticism but that it's no easy task, most artist are not content with their work this is true, but for criticism they look to others and for good reason because if you shut yourself to the world you become sterile and your work comes to a stand still. Your stance makes it seems like artist are on a god like pedestal being able to create from nothing which is false. Though physically they may seem to be doing exactly that but I can speak from personally experience that in my head I am constantly thinking of everything that influences me from inanimate to word of others. It doesn't even matter of the stature of the person they could be my art prof. or some guy who just expressed his opinion what he found authentically pleasing in my last piece--it all accumulates. That was what I believe to drive growth not your skewed sentence of my words. Criticism is just a form of that observation.

Also if you are going to debate with me don't use cop-outs like:
Quote:
Some of the best artist or professionals in other fields never cared for awards, praises or tried to used others to gauge their work.....they simply created...They simply do what they love.....This is the basis of my opinion.

..because some of the best artist and professionals in other fields embraced the opinions and criticisms of their peers, not as assertion of dominance but a medium of respect and observation. This is the basis of my opinion.

Fu,ck it. I agree with you. Artist should also stop reading poems and literature for inspirations. Scientist should stop trying to question and disprove theories. In fact organizations like TED are an abomination to the science and art world! How dare they share ideas, express criticism, and open themselves to the view points of others. Progression is over rated.

I had a few more points but they're alluding my atm. If they come back to me I'll edit or just incorporate them into my next response.

Last edited by Hostage on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:13 am 
Forum Legend

sup guys :sohappy:

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:16 am 
Veteran Member

ExSoldier wrote:

You see nothing! :sohappy:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:17 am 
Forum Legend

Hostage wrote:
ExSoldier wrote:

You see nothing! :sohappy:

Don't move, putting the final touches on my LP.

"You know the drill" ; It does mean I'm asking for some criticism. I do know that even though art can't really be judged, there is some key factors (blending,depths,etc). If you've noticed, I usually keep the version I post (I'd rather use what I learnt from my mistakes on my next tag) because when I "Save As . PNG" my project, it means I usually like the final product. An example would be one of my earliest tag, it's personally one of my favourites despite the critics I got on it.
Spoiler!

So all that to say, I try to always keep what I personally like, and working on the fundamental factors of a good tag.
Can't really make out what you guys are saying through those paragraph (mainly because I'm tired) but if you don't like when I ask for critiscm I'll stop :(

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:33 pm 

Budo reminds me of people who believe that poo-slinging monkeys are genuine artists because they are so "independent" and "raw". Not that he necessarily is or that I mean offense to these people - I don't.

@Budo:
Criticisms should never be taken as absolute rules that will dictate the direction of your work. Always take it with a grain of salt. Hell, I actually appreciate it more when people give me constructive criticism about my work since I know that they really gave it enough observation and thought. It means a lot more than "that's cool" although I still appreciate those. But does that mean that I'm going to follow every suggestion and criticism I get? Of course not. If I did, I would simply make a duplication of another person's work. I understand that it's difficult to make anything original but combining different principles from your inspirations, tweaking the elements of design, and making it your own is what makes your work unique. Anyway, I really suggest that you read a few of the previous posts once again and try to grasp their meaning - you might learn a thing or two.

For the record, I don't enjoy "tearing people a new one" simply for the hell of it. I give it a lot of thought but I always take the artist's individual style into consideration. One of the main things I ask people to do is to try exploring styles outside of their comfort zone - not because I don't like their current one but because it will give them a valuable opportunity to learn more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:22 pm 

@Hostage

Seems like my post flew over your head ...I didn't agree with him placing his works up for "critiquing" nor did I care for it being "critiqued". Whats baffling or hypocritical about that?

And all your doing here is showing me that you apparently got issues and or just plain angry about something other than whats here. Yes we toss around words like criticism in a negative light but as much as I appear to be arguing against it I don't mean harsh criticism but "any" and all kinds that will alter his works to suit the appeal of critics... That's my opinion...its not fact...I choose to put it out there.... the OP doesn't have to follow suit

I didn't even read your post here cuz its just rant after rant after rant.. Just like me you butted in to give your two sense in response to something that ticked you off...remember that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:28 pm 
Veteran Member

All I see in your last post is you bowing out, which is fine. I was hoping you would choose to entertain a little longer but if you're done you're done.

Quote:
Seems like my post flew over your head ...I didn't agree with him placing his works up for "critiquing" nor did I care for it being "critiqued". Whats baffling or hypocritical about that?

It seems you're the one here who pick and chooses what to read, I actually take the time to read through your whole post regardless of the over use of ellipses. Like I said somewhere in my first post sheer entertainment, no issues, so you can keep your ad hominem tactics to yourself because they're useless on me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:45 pm 
Advanced Member

inky wrote:
Budo reminds me of people who believe that poo-slinging monkeys are genuine artists because they are so "independent" and "raw".

I lol'd so hard.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:55 am 

BuDo wrote:
I didn't even read your post here cuz its just rant after rant after rant.. Just like me you butted in to give your two sense in response to something that ticked you off...remember that.

Your lack of comprehension stems from this. In order for you to understand the opposing side, you need to first listen to what they have to say. To put it bluntly, take your head out of your ass.

This is probably the main reason why you're so against criticism. Yes, art is a form of personal expression but it's a lot more than just putting a render on top of a background or pushing the shutter button of a camera. You have to be aware of each element in order for you to execute what you want to create properly. If you want to reject or go against those elements, that's fine. But remember that being stubborn about this is different than deviating from the 'norm'; you can be as rebellious in your art as much as you want, but you at least need to learn what you're deviating from. Otherwise, you're simply taking random stabs in the dark -- self-absorbed ignorance is what it is. If you're fine with that, then good for you. But don't try to drag other people with you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:25 am 
Forum Legend

I'm gonna assume all those paragraphs are about how awesome of a person I am :sohappy:

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even