Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Drawing Thread!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:24 am 
Frequent Member

So I've recently started to make more of an interest in drawing, so tonight I thought I'd draw a very basic drawing for what would eventually transferred and painted onto a canvas. Anyway, I thought I'd share my drawing of Luffy from One Piece to sort of ask for some tips and advice, as well as bring a bit more conversation here :P I do have a feq questions, though. How the hell do people draw hands? If anyone here does draw regularly, how'd you go about improving your skills? How do you stop your hands from smudging everything? (left handed). All the advice is needed!

I left out the details in the hair/hat on purpose as I'm putting it (well, already have) onto a canvas and it wasn't really needed. But some criticism/newbie drawing tips would be appreciated :) BTW, canvas turned out horribly as I can't paint and my brushes are terrible and from a discount warehouse.
Picture below!
Spoiler!

If you have any drawings you've done, feel free the share them in this thread too ^______________^

Post subject: Re: Drawing Thread!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'd say that's actually not a bad drawing. Luffy's face is a little more rounded, but the expression is pretty accurate, which is quite hard to do.

Drawing hands is one of the hardest things to do in art. A lot of it depends on practice, but there's some techniques.

Here's a good way to do it:

Th most important is that first step where you draw a rectangle and a bunch of lines extending from it. If you're going for the anime style than often you'll want to make the lines extra long.
kinda like this:

As for improving? Mostly just go as far with things as you can. It helps to be able to draw details imo. Other things you can do is set a goal for yourself, like drawing Shadows as correctly as possible.
Oh yeah, Always draw as big as you can, The greater size on one hand leaves more workspace for precision stuff and on the other hand makes errors much less noticeable.

Dealing with the left-handed smudging? impossibruuuu :soosad:
your best option may be to simply try drawing with a drawing pad. you can also try using a ballpoint pen instead of a pencil or a harder type of pencil (2H? (it's also WAAAY easier to draw details with harder pencils)). Personally I always draw with a hard pencil if I'm not using a pen.

I think this is my best drawing:
Spoiler!

It's a concept art, nowhere near done and I've been stalling it for years, but I'm still quite proud of it. I think this is what my personal style ends up looking like on a high level/ with extreme effort. It's also one of the the only drawings where I've ever managed to draw the hands correctly myself.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:20 pm 
Advanced Member

basics basics basics
study master paintings and look at how they do things.
try doing a piece without using any lines.
Once you got the basics down and embedded in your head then just experiment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:21 pm 
Elite Member

MrTwilliger wrote:
How do you stop your hands from smudging everything?

You mean that your hand touching the drawing smudges it? put a piece of thick film under your hand. I don't know how it's really called, but it's like a thick, transparent and rather stiff piece of paper, but sleek so it doesn't smudge anything. Or something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:08 am 
Frequent Member

Them hands poehalcho! You should finish your piece, I'd love to see it :)

Haha, I know it's very basic Shomari, I can't draw to save my life. But I really do enjoy it so I'm trying my best to improve. What do you mean by drawing without lines?

I'll have to look into it Sanktum, it would be a life saver! My hand always get covered in lead and it goes everywhere -.-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:07 am 
Elite Member

MrTwilliger wrote:
I'll have to look into it Sanktum, it would be a life saver! My hand always get covered in lead and it goes everywhere -.-

My hands usually get sweaty, so that's even worse. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:42 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
MrTwilliger wrote:
Haha, I know it's very basic Shomari, I can't draw to save my life. But I really do enjoy it so I'm trying my best to improve. What do you mean by drawing without lines?

He probably means drawings without contour lines?

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 pm 
Advanced Member

poehalcho wrote:
MrTwilliger wrote:

He probably means drawings without contour lines?

yes. ^
I wasn't saying it is basic MrTwilliger but to get the basics of drawing and stuff like ingrained in your brain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:48 pm 
Banned User

MrTwilliger wrote:
Picture below!
Spoiler!
Very nice, I like it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:19 pm 
Elite Member

MrTwilliger wrote:
Them hands poehalcho! You should finish your piece, I'd love to see it :)

How does one draw legs D:

I tried working on it a bit today but I couldn't really do anything :/.
That's the big problem with stalling, you totally forget what you were going for... >.<
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to work on the drawing...I dunno. In the end the only progress I made today was making the canvas big enough to fit some legs in there someday >__>.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm 
Loyal Member

For the smudging I just put a paper between my hand and the drawing once I'm done with the outline.