Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Connected dots
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:35 am 
Loyal Member

How secure is your private information?

For example if someone on your mail want to know everything about you, from your mail he got your FB account, where you had all your friends shown to everyone on the internet, and he added a bunch of your friends and made up stories to get your phone number, address, then he saw you on a forum, with a unique forum name, googled you and found out every place you are registered in, guessed that your password is your phone number and it was right, now he can f*** you up.

So, how secure is your private information?
do you:
use the same password everywhere?
use the same nickname which is unique?
have strangers on your FB/mail?
using an easy to be guessed password?

try anyone in the forum and post results.

Post subject: Re: Connected dots
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 am 
Elite Member

try me.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 am 
Site Contributor

My passwords are non-relevant to anything, "random" enough and 21-33 characters long I have 10 different variations all memorized and never recorded except for my brain, so until the day people can mind read or use GPUs to crack passwords, I'll be safe (hopefully), if I don't mess up :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:03 am 

I have a thousand names and passwords, not even I can remember. And the passwords are retarded enough not to be guessed in a million years. Never got hacked. ever. Win :sohappy:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:20 am 
Ex-Staff

K.K wrote:
do you:
use the same password everywhere? Pretty much
use the same nickname which is unique? Yep
have strangers on your FB/mail? Not total strangers
using an easy to be guessed password? Mwoah, I guess it's pretty easy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:07 am 
Forum God

K.K wrote:

For example if someone on your mail want to know everything about you, from your mail he got your FB account, where you had all your friends shown to everyone on the internet, and he added a bunch of your friends and made up stories to get your phone number, address, then he saw you on a forum, with a unique forum name, googled you and found out every place you are registered in, guessed that your password is your phone number and it was right, now he can f*** you up.

do you:
use the same password everywhere? No
use the same nickname which is unique? No
have strangers on your FB/mail? No
using an easy to be guessed password? No.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 am 
Elite Member

K.K wrote:
do you:
use the same password everywhere? I have 3 different passwords, which all evolve from one main password. The main one is used at pages where I don't need security at all (if I wanna register somewhere real quick). The two others are used for mail, SRF ( :love: ), paypal etc.
use the same nickname which is unique? Yes, I used the same nickname/username at nearly every site, in order for people to recognize me
have strangers on your FB/mail? Simplest solution: DO NOT USE FACEBOOK (which is what I do)
using an easy to be guessed password? Hit me with your best shot! It's impossible.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 am 

ltsune wrote:
Hit me with your best shot! It's impossible.

Nothing is impossible, just really really improbable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:31 pm 
Forum God

lol people who use postcodes, phone numbers, names and places as passwords are just retarded

for example one of my old passwords is far04189602...who the hell is going to guess that?

as for information i never list my address or phone number on the internet, only add people on facebook i know and more specific only people i know in real life minus couple of people from SuddenDeath, not only that i tend to keep a very very loose link between my online persona and real life. here im known as masterwong there is no connection to my real life

so try me, il even give you a head started the loose link masterwong has with real life is quickstream my other persona

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:48 pm 
Advanced Member

Well for one... doesn't really matter how complex your password is... nobody uses bruteforcers these days. Two, the only real account they need to hack into is your Email account. Once they have that they can pretty much find out what they need to know, or just go and change your passwords using it. Three, most times people get hacked (personally, not wide spread attacks) is usually through a RAT/keylogger which they never even know they have. Thankfully most antivirus and spyware programs catch the commercial keyloggers and such, but if the person has written their own, chances are it isn't gonna pick it up.

Anyways, besides using a really long password, if that's what lets you sleep at night, make sure to use an encryption program for your browser... If you are truly scared you're gonna be hacked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:58 pm 
Forum God

Fiction wrote:
Well for one... doesn't really matter how complex your password is... nobody uses bruteforcers these days. Two, the only real account they need to hack into is your Email account. Once they have that they can pretty much find out what they need to know, or just go and change your passwords using it. Three, most times people get hacked (personally, not wide spread attacks) is usually through a RAT/keylogger which they never even know they have. Thankfully most antivirus and spyware programs catch the commercial keyloggers and such, but if the person has written their own, chances are it isn't gonna pick it up.

Anyways, besides using a really long password, if that's what lets you sleep at night, make sure to use an encryption program for your browser... If you are truly scared you're gonna be hacked.

these days aslong as you use your head you shouldnt get that kind of shite on your system its the people who dont know what they are doing downloading all sorts of shit that will **** you over so having a long password will stil help

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:17 pm 
Forum Legend

I use the same complicated password for most important things. The only password that's really not secure is my srf password lol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:23 pm 
Banned User

Location: SHEEKA JOOM BA BOOM BAH!! BAM! BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love wrote:
try me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:36 pm 
Valued Member

do you:
use the same password everywhere? - 4 different ones, not that much but haven't been hacked or anything since my 5+ years i've been connected to the internet
use the same nickname which is unique? "Dante" most unique nickname EVER, just every forum has about 30 variations of it.
have strangers on your FB/mail? Don't have a FB account and some friends got my mail and what feels like about 50 spam mail producers
using an easy to be guessed password? depends on the importancy of the account, ranging from 6 letter words (1 time register forums for downloading a mod or something/SRF (lol)) to 12 characters numbers+letters (main Mail etc.)

I'm doing pretty well with not giving out to much information.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm 
Addicted Member

heroo wrote:
I use the same complicated password for most important things. The only password that's really not secure is my srf password lol.

+1 .

mine can't be guessed and will take alot of time for hacking programs to uncover it ( Not sure about keyloggers ) but i don't enter any fishy sites , so i guess i am safe .
and the only password i use which is not complicated is my second email which i don't use much and srf .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:42 pm 
Forum Legend

It Just depends
Well, use complex and long passwords... beyond "2000" chars are good. lulz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:40 pm 
Elite Member

K.K wrote:
do you:
use the same password everywhere? Have over 5 PWs i use.
use the same nickname which is unique? No, i use different ones.
have strangers on your FB/mail? Recently emptied my email from strangers, but i have some on FB, but never talk to them :D
using an easy to be guessed password? It's easy, for me at least. :sohappy:

*BlackFox wrote:
It Just depends
Well, use complex and long passwords... beyond "2000" chars are good. lulz

Yeah, maybe use an essay u wrote for school as a PW. Without spaces and commas. Gonna take a long time if u mistype though. :sohappy:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:43 pm 
Loyal Member

One day I'll be bored and give a try on you folks.

@ltsune: knowing everything about you doesn't need a genius.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm 
Forum Legend

K.K wrote:
Holy crap, Aren't you afraid of Cyberpolice?
Thought you should know that... You're gonna be backtraced! xD

ROFL @omier44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 pm 
Loyal Member

*BlackFox wrote:
K.K wrote:
Holy crap, Aren't you afraid of Cyberpolice?
Thought you should know that... You're gonna be backtraced! xD

ROFL @omier44

[Post removed by Cyberpolice]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 pm 
Elite Member

K.K wrote:

@ltsune: knowing everything about you doesn't need a genius.

I know it doesn't :)

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:51 pm 

I can't remember most of my passwords, and half the time I am changing them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 pm 
Site Contributor

I must admit though, my wirless routers WPA2 code is my first and last name as one word :3

it used to be my phone number lulz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:19 pm 

I remember few years ago someone on my server showed me a legit way to get into other peoples account using these forums. I don't want to tell you exactly how to but it involved connecting a lot of dots. Just saying people leave information about them all over these forums, you just have to look far enough. Also just a reminder you don't need a password to get into the persons account.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:27 pm 
Banned User

Location: SHEEKA JOOM BA BOOM BAH!! BAM! BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
i challenge you to do so to me by the end of the month.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:29 pm 
Addicted Member

patrone wrote:
I remember few years ago someone on my server showed me a legit way to get into other peoples account using these forums. I don't want to tell you exactly how to but it involved connecting a lot of dots. Just saying people leave information about them all over these forums, you just have to look far enough. Also just a reminder you don't need a password to get into the persons account.

I read a topic like that in srf , was quiet informative actually , i think it is still in a guide sticky but not 100% sure .

Last edited by The Invisible on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:55 pm 
Frequent Member

With everyone and their mother (literally) having online accounts now, it's not very impressive to uncover someone's online activities anymore. It's like bragging that you can unlock someone's car after they've given you the car keys.

Hiding your online activities is equally redundant since there's usually multiple marketing companies tracking your online habits to provide you with more relevant advertising. If you don't want to risk something personal being exposed, do not post it online. It's not very difficult.

If you want to know what info you or your friends have exposed online, you can try Pipl to start.

I know some of you think it wise to tell the world that you have multiple accounts and passwords, but the simply fact that you divulged that information online actually makes it the more easier to track you. When you have a secret identity, you don't tell people you have a secret identity. That defeats the purpose.

Edit:
CeLL wrote:
i challenge you to do so to me by the end of the month.

I found some basic personal info and narrowed down your location to a property in Indiana, but that's as much as I could find right now. Won't disclose any information here though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:03 pm 
Advanced Member

[SD]Master_Wong wrote:
these days aslong as you use your head you shouldnt get that kind of shite on your system its the people who dont know what they are doing downloading all sorts of shit that will **** you over so having a long password will stil help

It's actually easier to get one than you think. That's why I said personal. I wasn't talking about a wide spread attack like someone keylogging a bot to get passwords from everyone who uses it. I mean someone targeting you, trying to get into your personal stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:23 pm 
Forum God

Fiction wrote:
[SD]Master_Wong wrote:

It's actually easier to get one than you think. That's why I said personal. I wasn't talking about a wide spread attack like someone keylogging a bot to get passwords from everyone who uses it. I mean someone targeting you, trying to get into your personal stuff.

the average person isnt going to be targetted unless they are either reckless or asking for it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:29 pm 
Advanced Member

[SD]Master_Wong wrote:
Fiction wrote:
[SD]Master_Wong wrote:

the average person isnt going to be targetted unless they are either reckless or asking for it

lol I think 2-3 ppl just asked for it in this thread alone =P I never said that a long password isn't a good thing, but if someone really wants your info that isn't gonna save you. That's all I'm saying. It's as easy as opening an email from a "trusted friend" and looking at a picture of his new car.