Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Connected dots
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 am 
Forum God

but using your head and recognising the typical layout of a spammed or hacked email is simple your friend for example isnt going to say "check out these pics of us omg was so long ago now check them out here xxxx.cxm" if you get me we will attach the picture or put it on facebook either way its safe ofc anything from a friend in a zip folder should be approached carefully

Further more your chances of genuinely been a target are slim, some systems can be hacked directly ie a mysql database going back a few years ago was rather simple to hack into on a phpbb forum and likely other forums not so much now but stil possible so this kind of hacking skips the target side of it your just another stat at that point and you really cant protect against that, i lost my first sro character shortly after the hacking of silkroad, i am a savvy web user i know the do's and don'ts but dispite not been the only one they said it was my fault end of which goes to show sometimes there is no way around it

and as i said the average person wont get targetted not the tards including me who asked for it

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:21 am 
Advanced Member

lol I'm not trying to say your wrong or argue a point, but yeah... It happens, and you can encrypt a keylogger or any other trojan into just about any kind of file including jpeg. There are so many script kiddies and blackhats out there (luckily not on these forums) that; when some tard ask to be hacked and he isn't behind at least 4 boxes, he's more than likely gonna get his wish.

The email thing was just a simple example, but there are many many ways other than that.

I think Anonymous pretty much proves that internet security is as real as your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:27 am 
Forum God

Fiction wrote:
lol I'm not trying to say your wrong or argue a point, but yeah... It happens, and you can encrypt a keylogger or any other trojan into just about any kind of file including jpeg. There are so many script kiddies and blackhats out there (luckily not on these forums) that; when some tard ask to be hacked and he isn't behind at least 4 boxes, he's more than likely gonna get his wish.

The email thing was just a simple example, but there are many many ways other than that.

I think Anonymous pretty much proves that internet security is as real as your dreams.

i do get your point but the chances of it happening to you are slim unless your reckless which includes asking for it

anonymous are awesome for who they hack but they could just as easily do it for more malice reasons

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:07 am 
Loyal Member

strangelove wrote:
With everyone and their mother (literally) having online accounts now, it's not very impressive to uncover someone's online activities anymore. It's like bragging that you can unlock someone's car after they've given you the car keys.

Hiding your online activities is equally redundant since there's usually multiple marketing companies tracking your online habits to provide you with more relevant advertising. If you don't want to risk something personal being exposed, do not post it online. It's not very difficult.

If you want to know what info you or your friends have exposed online, you can try Pipl to start.

I know some of you think it wise to tell the world that you have multiple accounts and passwords, but the simply fact that you divulged that information online actually makes it the more easier to track you. When you have a secret identity, you don't tell people you have a secret identity. That defeats the purpose.

Edit:
CeLL wrote:
i challenge you to do so to me by the end of the month.

I found some basic personal info and narrowed down your location to a property in Indiana, but that's as much as I could find right now. Won't disclose any information here though.

Guess what, your post changed my life, I remember when you mentioned that website I played with it with some random searches, yesterday I made another search for my brother that I've never met before and I found him! Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:10 am 
Elite Member

^

That's really cool.

Did a search on myself and found out I was in the USA =o, nice job me.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:22 pm 
Addicted Member

Ah man, i remember this thread.

Especially how i used to call phishing sites (fishing sites).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:49 am 
Frequent Member

Vaya wrote:
Guess what, your post changed my life, I remember when you mentioned that website I played with it with some random searches, yesterday I made another search for my brother that I've never met before and I found him! Thank you

That's incredible! Glad to know my ramblings had some use.