Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avatar: The Legend of Korra
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:08 am 
Elite Member

The fact that you don't know what I'm referring to is concerning, on so many levels.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Love wrote:
The fact that you don't know what I'm referring to is concerning, on so many levels.

Different people notice different things. I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to either, but I'm guessing you're noticing a promotion of specific political views? Not everyone's into that though... You see what you want so to speak.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:44 am 
Elite Member

Is a very black and white topic .... thanks for the feel good take on it I suppose...

And no I won't point it out, already said you can see it, less than 10 minutes into season 3 episode 1.

If you honestly don't see propaganda in this series I don't know what to say. I don't recall seeing it this blatantly inserted anywhere else, I recall this being one of the things that really popped when I was following season 1 ( I didn't stop watching for this reason, just got boring for me ).

If you want a "subtle" example of it just look at the female and male characters. If those add up for you, great.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Love wrote:
Is a very black and white topic .... thanks for the feel good take on it I suppose...

And no I won't point it out, already said you can see it, less than 10 minutes into season 3 episode 1.

If you honestly don't see propaganda in this series I don't know what to say. I don't recall seeing it this blatantly inserted anywhere else, I recall this being one of the things that really popped when I was following season 1 ( I didn't stop watching for this reason, just got boring for me ).

If you want a "subtle" example of it just look at the female and male characters. If those add up for you, great.

The only somewhat universal difference I'm seeing between the male and female characters is the attitude towards responsibility? Women presented as calm and focused whereas the men are somewhat incompetent and goofy? Except that it doesn't apply to Korra herself...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:18 pm 
Ex-Staff

Love wrote:

Or maybe it's the fact I did not watch any episodes of season 3 yet! I was just wondering what you might have seen..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 pm 
Elite Member

I hate myself for spending energy to point this out but yeah ..........

Let's take a look, these are the characters you see most.

OP avatar: female

Machine factory owner: female

Most respected elder, water grandma: female

Police chief: female

Rulers of nation: most of them female

Goofy main: male

Pretty boy with no personality: male ( These two couldn't be bigger support bitches, they add virtually nothing. Nice decision Korra, let's go ).

Elder with no initiative whatsoever and my god this dude couldn't be more background if he tried, wind master: male.

Retarded bad guys which although initially clever and having "strong" personalities can't seem to conflict resolute their way out a paper bag when it comes to dealing with main. this one is the most excusable one because no shit they have to lose for the sake of the story: males are the group leaders, regardless of plot and story they are doing something wrong and our wonderful female leaders will fix it.

Personalities overall: female personalities are overwhelmingly clever, wise, assertive, straight up more awesome ( wtb this female version irl, in the world I live in they are gems worth dying over ). Males are overwhelmingly a mess.

And that's as far as I want to take that, if you still don't get it, well I don't have to live your life. For the record I am a science major, dealing with brilliant chicks is something I do day to day. I love them and they are without questions my peers, at least in academia. Are they better than me and more likely to be leaders ? Not a chance, the leadership part has more to do with who I am but I am not significantly better than them "per say", mind you I am top of my class so I am comparing myself to the ladies who can compete at the very top, not "the bulk" of my class which includes both genders.

Last edited by Love on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:26 pm 
Elite Member

So... basically what I said, but in more words.

Love wrote:
And that's as far as I want to take that, if you still don't get it, well I don't have to live your life. For the record I am a science major, dealing with brilliant chicks is something I do day to day. I love them and they are without questions my peers, at least in academia. Are they better than me and more likely to be leaders ? Not a chance, the leadership part has more to do with who I am but I am not particularly better than them in anything else, mind you I am top of my class so I am comparing myself to the ladies who can compete at the very top, not "the bulk" of my class which includes both genders.

This slightly makes me feel like my 'feel good take' was actually on point though.

In the Netherlands any sort of technical courses are not really being promoted to children because they're 'hard work - medium pay'. Most kids here want to be doctors, dentist or psychologists; Medical stuff (less work - ridiculous pay).
In addition to this technical shortage there's the problem that it's just never been marketed as 'for the ladies'.

point in case: The m:f ratio in my class in my first year was 80:1.
With a ratio like that, why would I care about female performance at all? There's hardly a point of reference. What would make me even consider the issue? I've never had to compare my own performance to one of the other gender, so it's not really any sort of lingering thought. There's no way I'd notice what you're talking about unless it's something that provokes me, which it simply doesn't.

The thing I don't understand is why you think of this as propaganda.

In my opinion the only thing the makers were aiming for was creating some strong female leads. We kind of live in an age where most female characters seem to take on a very passive role which could usually be removed entirely, it gets annoying at some point. I'd say they just put a lot of effort in creating a diverse cast where everybody could fulfill a decent role. Since it's less likely for women to be able to perform too well as combatants and it somehow feels off when they spout crackpot jokes, they gave them other positions.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:24 pm 

@Love:

So a female leadership theme is portrayed in season 3 of some anime (if this is your real insight) and it calls for concern despite the millions of other shows/movies/stories/anime portraying male figures saving the entire world while placing females in a support/"needing to be saved role"and that theme didn't raise any concerns with you because it was the norm? or should be?....You raise an interesting topic but it's borderline trolling I think...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:34 pm 
Ex-Staff

Going deep on the possibly underlying thoughts/motives of an anime/cartoon. Taking it a bit too far if you ask me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:37 pm 
Elite Member

My point was no limited to season 3 in any way, it's a theme throughout the Korra series ( one which I don't believe was present during An's, cool story on the spelling of those names btw me ).

That being said my bringing up the possible feminist agenda in this series had not much to do with the "propaganda" comment I made earlier, that point still remains not discussed by me because if you don't see it, me pointing it out isn't going to accomplish much, I just went ahead and pointed out something much easier to see to at least provide a point of reference.

Btw I never felt this "manipulation" attempted to such degree anywhere else, ever, reason why I even brought it up in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:56 am 
Veteran Member

Congrats Squirt, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:40 pm 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
Squirt wrote:
Airbending is so vague. What exactly are they manipulating when thei air bend? Is it just the Oxygen molecules? Is it a combination of all the compounds that make up the air?

If that is the case then there is really only only one logical progression to the air benders ultimate ability. The ability to suck all the air out of an enemies lungs and prevent any more from entering. Imagine how stupidly strong this would be. If a bender becomes strong enough they would be able to concentrate the minute traces of oxygen blood in a persons body and cause a blood clot.

Thats just a thought though, I'm sure no one would be evil enough to do something like that.

vacuum bending :P
sounds good to me :D

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:32 pm 
Elite Member

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:40 pm 
Elite Member

Love wrote:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:38 pm 
Veteran Member

Was episode 13 the last of this book?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:32 am 
Ex-Staff

Panu wrote:
Was episode 13 the last of this book?

It is yes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:11 am 

Book 3 was awesome, best of Korra so far. Possibly even the whole Avatar series.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 pm 
Ex-Staff

Warspawn wrote:
Book 3 was awesome, best of Korra so far. Possibly even the whole Avatar series.

Aang vs. Ozai. 'nuff said

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:41 am 

Book 4 starting October 3rd!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:55 am 
Forum God

I came.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:35 am 
Veteran Member

Stoked!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:47 am 
Veteran Member

Code: Select all

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:32 am 
Elite Member

Book 4 looks good o.o

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:31 am 
Forum God

So excited.

But sad that it's the last season.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:33 am 
Elite Member

I don't see it that way, we'll get to meet a new avatar next !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:56 pm 
Forum God

Will we?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:17 pm 
Common Member

Tasdik wrote:
Will we?

yes its not a lie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:22 am 

The creators wont be working on a new avatar series any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:00 pm 
Forum God

First episode is out. Can't wait to get off work and go watch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:16 pm 
Veteran Member

Book 4: Episode 1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next