Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: My music
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:28 pm 
Forum Legend

This remix is pretty decent.. to say the least! :giveup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:08 pm 
Elite Member

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 pm 
Elite Member

A couple of months old track that I decided to finally wrap up now.
This one took a very long time lol, about 47 hours in total with mastering. A pretty big project as well, 39 sequencer channels, 41 mixer channels, 66 patterns, 27 automation clips, 42 playlist tracks. Takes about 20% of CPU to just have the project open. >.<

http://soundcloud.com/sanktum/sixth

Trying to do some neurofunk for the next track. Already 27 hours into the project without much done. Shit's pretty difficult to do. Spent a day turning pictures into bass samples, a pic of a cat gave me the best sample, but still not a good enough one to use in the track.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:58 pm 
Elite Member

Finally finished the first neurofunk project. Took a damn long time. 20 hours on this project and 35 on the one that the track started with. Also exporting to wav took about half an hour.

http://soundcloud.com/sanktum/neuro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:22 pm 
Elite Member

Nu track. Back to some liquid based stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/sanktum/sanktum-empty-hands

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:12 pm 
Elite Member

Damn, lots of unfinished projects. Did manage to finish one a while back.

http://soundcloud.com/sanktum/chaser

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:17 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sanktum wrote:
Damn, lots of unfinished projects. Did manage to finish one a while back.

http://soundcloud.com/sanktum/chaser

Ok... so I'm not super familiar with neurofunk tracks so what I comment about it might not be a 100% accurate, but I'll try to give the best possible feedback :D

So Dayum... Compared to the stuff you posted a year ago this is pretty amazing. I can't even tell it's the same person making em D:. It's even getting hard to discern from some of the professional productions.

Compared to before it's quite a bit harder detect faults, but I think I've found some stuff to look into.
When it comes to drums and sound effects in general I see you've gotten the hang of it. It seems like you've also broadened your library a bit or learned to make your own... either way it comes down to the same thing. Now in this song I can more or less detect 3 things that you should look into to improve further.

1. Harmonics/synths/chords
    I'm not really sure what they're actually called... The tones you use to create a melody. During the build-up for the second drop I feel as though the choice for these synths is not as good as it should be. The one in the background is a bit too simple (2 repeating tones for a long duration) and occasionally gets entirely overshadowed by the bass effects. It also end very abruptly, even though the bass transition is very good.
    This has been your biggest issue throughout pretty much all of your songs, as I'm sure you're aware. Practice and listen to other people's creations in order to figure out the knack or develop an intuition for proper synths (some classical music would probably do you well?).

2. Failing to meet created expectations
    You use a long period of time to create and epic build-up for the second drop. You create the expectation that the second drop will be even more amazing that the first, but when it comes down to it, it seems to be identical... a bit of a disappointment if you ask me :(

3. The song ends abruptly
    It feels like it's an error born from both of the above mentioned issues. The song lacks the defined structure that you would see in the professional stuff. Even though you're capable of creating small bits that sound good, you're (at least for now) incapable of tying them together into a whole. Maybe you got lazy, maybe you didn't know how to finish it, but can you really consider the song complete like this :P ?

Here's a song that I think will serve as a good example:
It's very long and goes through a ton of transitions. Even though it's quite slowly paced it manages to give every transition the proper 'umph' to keep it from becoming stale. Additionally even though a lot of the bits are very different from one another they are tied together into a long piece that feels completely natural.

I hope it helps. It's all I can do with my self-taught observation and criticizing skills :(

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:55 am 
Elite Member

Thanks, myself I can't even bear to listen to my old tracks. :D
Yeah, I kinda just rushed alot of the non-drop parts. :D And I'm gonna have to listen to some classical type stuff anyways since I have some slightly orchestral projects in the works. I thought the second drop was different because it was back to back with the original bass and another resampled bass. But I think I should have made the first bass different too then. :) Yes, I suck at outros, I just thought that I would end it abruptly just because, but people don't seem to like that. :D That song you posted is really cool though. :)

Thanks for the in-depth feedback man. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:49 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sanktum wrote:
Thanks, myself I can't even bear to listen to my old tracks. :D
Yeah, I kinda just rushed alot of the non-drop parts. :D And I'm gonna have to listen to some classical type stuff anyways since I have some slightly orchestral projects in the works. I thought the second drop was different because it was back to back with the original bass and another resampled bass. But I think I should have made the first bass different too then. :) Yes, I suck at outros, I just thought that I would end it abruptly just because, but people don't seem to like that. :D That song you posted is really cool though. :)

Thanks for the in-depth feedback man. :)

An abrupt outro isn't necessarily wrong or bad, but I don't think it was the best choice here, that's all.
Look at 'Eminem - Stan' for instance. That song ends abruptly, but it pulls it off cause it's sort of funny (or maybe I'm deranged D: ).
"Come to think of it, his name was... it was you. [stop] Damn o.o" - that nonchalant tone when he says 'Damn' usually makes me chuckle a little.

Are you actually trying to go pro? Or just learning for the fun of it?

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:26 pm 
Elite Member

Lol, that ending is nice indeed. :D
Not sure if I'm trying to "go pro", but I'm definitely trying to learn and improve and put out more quality each time. And of course I wanna have more ears hear my music. But I'm definitely enjoying the process too, otherwise I don't think I would be going at it for such a while.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:20 am 
Elite Member

Another one. Finished an old project. This time it's a breakbeat kinda thing.

http://soundcloud.com/sanktum/sanktum-rubble

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:03 pm 
Forum Legend

Nah.. Too much rubble noise. lulz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:49 pm 
Elite Member

Sanktum wrote:

You got the synths right, I think that might be the first time :yay:
Percussion and wubs strike me as being perfectly fine.
The only real issue is the ending again :(

Here's my critique:

Intro
In the intro, although it's very minor I think it would sound better if the bleep would initially be even more muffled until the beat picks up. I also think speed picks up a bit too fast once you switch from bleeping sound to the regular synths/chords (btw. please tell me what I'm supposed to call them D: ). It might be more interesting if you present it a bit like a slow piano piece at first (not with actual piano persé, but don't immediately tie the synths together, have the listener experience their melding) and then have it pick up the speed once it's looped a few times.

Transition from intro to main portion is great btw, I like it. The fadeout and fizzle effect does a good job prepping the listener for the heavier sound.

Drop
It's my personal preference, but in the main portion I'd like to hear a little bit more variety in the pitch of the chorus. You alternate a lot of the details and effects, which is good (great in fact, you did a very good job there), but it gets lost a bit if the chorus just loops itself without change. It gets a trance-like repetitiveness.

End
After the chorus I'm a bit confused... it feels like you couldn't think of a continuation again and just sort of gave up :|
It just fades out and returns to the intro loop again, then you add some out of place drums like it's gonna pick up again and then it ends :?
If you return to the intro like that again you create the illusion that you're listening to 2 seperate songs that are just playing through one another. It's an issue a lot of bad remixes suffer from where they take some well known song, play it for a few seconds, stop it and then play a completely unrelated beat/drop and then repeat.

I really recommend you redo the final portion because I think you've got your first winning piece here.
Get rid of the 2nd fadeout and see if you can work out something for the ending.

I'm not sure why, but I'm getting a little bit of an Aphex Twin vibe from the song, even though they're obviously very different...
Are you familiar with the song 'Rubber Johnny'?
Spoiler!

It's clearly quite different from your track, but I feel similar sounds could be used to great effect in your track as transitions instead of the 2nd fade. Like you could probably give it some sort of ambient feel and use that to extend it or end it softly. (I might be talking crap here :palm: )

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:20 pm 
Elite Member

Thanks for the good criticism. Yeah, the ending might not be that good. But I just wanted to do something a bit different there. I had the idea for a while that I wasn't gonna make a second drop at all and have it end in a calm way and acoustic drums and some bass seemed like a good way of doing it. But yeah, the bit before it did end up lacking a good transition and variety.
I don't think I'll be changing the ending though. I don't feel like going back to something already deemed finished and I think it's better to apply the new knowledge to new tracks.
I kinda see what you mean with the Aphex Twin vibe though. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:33 am 
Elite Member

Sanktum wrote:
Another one. Finished an old project. This time it's a breakbeat kinda thing.

http://soundcloud.com/sanktum/sanktum-rubble

It gives off a very Nero vibe. Like...fast beats and sporadic with the subtle wub wubs. I dig it

Sort of like a DnB mixed with some old school dubstep and some synth on top

I think poehalcho's critique of the intro is spot on. Something about it doesn't sit right. Also that second little pause in the song was very sudden and I was mid jamming out when it happened and ended up a little confused.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:55 pm 
Elite Member

Hmm, I tend to forget that risers can also be used at the end of intense sections to lead into the more calm sections so you know that something is gonna change after the next 4 bars or so.
Ty.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:25 am 
Elite Member

This track has been done for a while now, forgot to put it on Youtube.

http://soundcloud.com/omier44/diffuse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:51 pm 
Elite Member

... I like :D

That was a pretty pleasant listen.

I'll try list my thoughts again, but you're making it harder every time D:

Intro (0:00-1:30)
The song started off really nicely. I like how you started it with ambient stuff and then slowly faded in the piano. What I didn't like as much, was how suddenly the drum jumped in. The drum was a fine addition, I just think you should've introduced it more slowly too. A longer fade-in or maybe a slower tempo in the beginning. I just kind of came it suddenly. (Essentially what you did at 1:28)

First drop (1:30-2:25)
The drum build-up with the digital sound serves as a perfect transition, well done!
The first time I listened this portion seemed like it was sounding a little same-ish, but that wasn't really the case. After evaluating it a few times I noticed there's a particular tone you're using frequently in there that seems to be roughly as high as the ambient background sound (or maybe I'm mistaking it for the ambient bg sound because you have a lot of echo/reverb on it). But it feels like there's a tiny bit too much that tone going on. Other than it's a pleasent listen.

First intermission (2:25-3:30)
I think the drum started a little suddenly again, but it's not that disruptive.
I also really dig the effect starting at 3:10 :D.

Second drop (3:30-4:35)
Boy oh boy, I really really love the way it starts. That drum gettin louder, the 2nd drum kicking in, the subtle little electronic sound. It's a seriously good transition!!
I also just really like this entire portion. The bass is pleasent, there's not too much nor too little. And compared to the first drop it feels more varied. I can't really point out any mistakes here at all o.o
Very well done!

Outro (4:35-6:09)
This parts good too. I like how you end the drop with a wind-down effect, so this feels like a natural end.
Not much to say here as there isn't that much going on. Maybe you could've spiced it up a little bit with some piano, but I don't think it's my place to really suggest such a change. It wouldn't necessarily make it better, just different, but then it wouldn't be your music anymore :P

TL;DR
+ Pleasant to listen to
- First drop hits a certain note a little too often
+ Second drop really good
- Some transitions a little wonky
+ Some transitions really good

I think I might download this one :P

Oh yeah, also the YT vid is set private.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:21 am 
Elite Member

Nice man, huge thanks for that detailed breakdown. :D
Yeah just realised that I forgot to make the video public. :palm: Fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:04 pm 
Elite Member

Do you have anywhere else you get feedback? A separate music forum or something like that? I'm rather curious what other people point out :P

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:16 pm 
Elite Member

Kind of. I'm in a small Facebook group with some other producers where we give each other feedback and stuff, but most of the time it isn't that detailed. :D