Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: $15 Minimum Wage Shenanigans
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:17 pm 
Forum God

Quote:
On Jan. 1, an estimated 1,600 hotel and transportation workers in SeaTac, Wash., will see their pay jump to $15 an hour, a 60 percent increase from the state's $9.32 minimum wage.

Read More At: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/30/highest-in-nation-15-minimum-wage-stirs-concern-from-local-businesses/

So this has been something I've heard a bit about here and there, but kind of interested into seeing how it actually plays out, which it looks like we're about to.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. You can pay the good people double, and get rid of all the useless trash. Thus improving quality of service, without actually loosing any more money.

Win-Win.

Post subject: Re: $15 Minimum Wage Shenanigans
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:54 am 
Forum Legend

is it the government mandating the increase or the companies doing it themselves?

fox news

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:41 am 
Elite Member

lol tasdik =)

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 pm 
Chronicle Writer

how do you define useless trash?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:52 pm 
Forum Legend

Minimum wage is Just "minimum wage" It's for part-timers, etc
Well, It's not supposed to be life sustaining wages.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:34 pm 

sheeeeeeeeeeeeit, I should hop on that as a summer job. Too bad I won't ride up an hour a day for it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:39 am 
Forum God

XemnasXD wrote:
how do you define useless trash?

My first job was Mcdonalds. We had a double drive-thru there, and I was able to take both drive thru oders, cash them out, hand them their food/drinks, all by myself. Thus, fulfilling a job that usually took 4 people to do, and doing it better than a group of people could have.

By "useless trash" I'm talking about 90% of fast food workers. There were a few good ones, but overall most people didn't give a shit and just tried scrapping by doing the bare minimum, whereas I went above and beyond every single day.

If we had more people like me, and less people like that stoned guy on grill who does a horrible job, it'd be infinitely better.

And yeah, that is a bit cocky of me to say, I know. But simple fact of the matter is, I work harder and smarter than 90% of the population. Yet in an environment like Mcdonalds, there's little to no reward/incentive to do so. Which is why 90% of the people don't make the effort.

If we incentivized the laziness out of people, by offering jobs with competitive pay, even at lower level jobs, I think we'd all be amazed at what people are actually capable of. And if they still don't want to step it up, fire them.

*BlackFox wrote:
Minimum wage is Just "minimum wage" It's for part-timers, etc
Well, It's not supposed to be life sustaining wages.

Most people I met in the fast food industry had that one job, and nothing else. Granted, most of them were high schoolers so they didn't really give a shit. But there were a few older people who kind of made a career out of it. (Ironically, those were the only people worth a damn, even if making a career in fast food, without trying for a promotion, is pathetic.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:22 am 
Forum Legend

erm I worked at McDonalds my first job buddy, the taking order/cash/handing back change + making drinks + getting foods from kitchen is the job. Most of the people i worked with worked their ass off during the busy hours, rest of the time we relaxed cause there was nothing to do.

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:14 am 
Forum God

My times from when they started taking their order to the time they got their food and off on their way was 36 seconds.

Come at me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Tasdik wrote:
(Ironically, those were the only people worth a damn, even if making a career in fast food, without trying for a promotion, is pathetic.)
Nah, I don't agree! Well... If they're happy on the job. Why not?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 am 
Forum God

Let me answer your question with another question;

Have you ever seen a person who's been in the fast food industry for a while, that is happy with their job?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:29 am 
Chronicle Writer

If you've been flipping burgers for 5 or 10 years what other skills have you acquired. Not everyone one is cut out to be management. TBH most of those people would probably be better off in a factory based job with a union making decent money with solid benefits but that industry no longer exist in this country.

What does exist is corporations using federal benefits such as foodstamps and medicaid to supplement the fact that they do not pay their employees a living wage. On top of this the employees will learn no job skills during their duration there to get a better job. They will have 0 job security. And their employers reserve the right make schedules as random as they like so unless they give a predetermined time when they can and cannot work they can't plan anything else and if they do make such a request then they could easily be replaced by just about anyone else.

No one is pathetic or garbage because of the type of job they have unless their job is to kill babies or something. I know being an ass is your thing, good to see you maintaining that image even on topics where we would otherwise agree.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:20 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm pretty sure, some people are happy. @Tasdik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:37 pm 
Forum God

Mansex, you're missing my point entirely.

I'm not saying what they do for a living is bad. I'm saying how they do it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:57 pm 
Frequent Member

I don't work in fast food, but I work a part time near minimum wage job to support myself through University. The work is hard and at the end of some days you can barely move. Most of us work incredibly hard, some harder then others. All of us are on terrible pay ($16p/h for the permanents, $20 for the casual, that's incredibly low by Australian standards) and some people who work there aren't as physically fit as others. I don't go to work every day saying how pathetic these people are for not getting a better job or education. I don't say they are useless because some of them don't work as quickly as others. As opposed to seeing these people as my enemy, I work with them as my comrades.

I try to help the slower people out whenever I get free time and as a result, they help me if I fall behind as well. I give the less capable people less physically intensive jobs so they don't fall behind. We work together as one whole unit to achieve a common goal. Learning to accept people's capabilities and how to get the most out of those people is the key to being efficient. Just because you're individually faster than someone else it doesn't mean you're a better person than them. It just means you're a dick for thinking so.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Contributor

MrTwilliger wrote:
I don't work in fast food, but I work a part time near minimum wage job to support myself through University. The work is hard and at the end of some days you can barely move. Most of us work incredibly hard, some harder then others. All of us are on terrible pay ($16p/h for the permanents, $20 for the casual, that's incredibly low by Australian standards) and some people who work there aren't as physically fit as others. I don't go to work every day saying how pathetic these people are for not getting a better job or education. I don't say they are useless because some of them don't work as quickly as others. As opposed to seeing these people as my enemy, I work with them as my comrades.

I try to help the slower people out whenever I get free time and as a result, they help me if I fall behind as well. I give the less capable people less physically intensive jobs so they don't fall behind. We work together as one whole unit to achieve a common goal. Learning to accept people's capabilities and how to get the most out of those people is the key to being efficient. Just because you're individually faster than someone else it doesn't mean you're a better person than them. It just means you're a dick for thinking so.

If you don't want to read all of that just read the bold text.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:06 am 
Loyal Member

Lol @ Tasdik saying he works smarter and harder than 90% of the population. If you really did you wouldn't work at mcdonalds at all buddy lmao!!

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:09 am 
Loyal Member

MrTwilliger wrote:

^also much respect for posting this lol.

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:23 pm 
Forum God

ZaKnighT wrote:
Lol @ Tasdik saying he works smarter and harder than 90% of the population. If you really did you wouldn't work at mcdonalds at all buddy lmao!!

When you're 17, your employment options are a bit limited. I ended up at mcdonalds because it was convient.

Still managed to save several thousand dollars during the short period I worked there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Tasdik wrote:
Still managed to save several thousand dollars during the short period I worked there.
How much $$ did you had left... after bills was paid? xD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:27 am 
Loyal Member

Tasdik wrote:
ZaKnighT wrote:

When you're 17, your employment options are a bit limited. I ended up at mcdonalds because it was convient.

Excuses lmao.. Hey w.e helps you sleep better.

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 am 
Forum God

Wait, are you sure you're not turkish?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:53 pm 
Loyal Member

Tasdik wrote:

Lmao not even close.. You're Jewish so I don't really see what you're to achieve with that comment.

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm 
Forum God

Not really hoping to achieve anything. But your posts are equivalent to those I see turks spouting off at dw south.

Plot Twist: I'm not actually Jewish.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:02 pm 
Loyal Member

Tasdik wrote:
Not really hoping to achieve anything. But your posts are equivalent to those I see turks spouting off at dw south.

Okaaaaaay... Personally I think you got butt hurt because I pointed out the obvious. If that's the case, I'm sorry Shlomo if I hurt your feelings. You're totes special and a hard worker.

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:06 am 
Forum God

Am I the only one who's annoyed at this $15/hr bullshit is still in the news?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:51 pm 
Site Contributor

ZaKnighT wrote:
Tasdik wrote:

Okaaaaaay... Personally I think you got butt hurt because I pointed out the obvious. If that's the case, I'm sorry Shlomo if I hurt your feelings. You're totes special and a hard worker.

So I remember most of what I read. He wasn't Jewish in 2010.

Tasdik wrote:
I turned 18 this past May and did absolutely nothing special. I'm a christian so no strippers for me. = /

Happy Birthday though!

Also, what a great quote.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:36 pm 
Forum God

22, still no strippers.

Brb suicide.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:24 am 

ZaKnighT wrote:
Tasdik wrote:

Lmao not even close.. You're Jewish so I don't really see what you're to achieve with that comment.

He obviously meant it as an insult. You'd expect someone who is 22 years old to not use nationality as an insult, but its just an internet so can't expect much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:58 pm 
Veteran Member

Tasdik wrote:
Am I the only one who's annoyed at this $15/hr bullshit is still in the news?

You aren't alone, but man there's so much cancer in this thread.