Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Awesome Technology
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:31 am 

I think whether it happens in the next 5 years or the next 50 years it's definitely going to happen....It would definitely feel like living in the future... What I love about it even more is that no one will be warned or fined by the city for trying to fill potholes with gravel by themselves...I'm sold..

Post subject: Re: Awesome Technology
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:46 am 
Elite Member

Solar consultant here, I don't see these being practical.

The bumps in the glass they are using will tear up tires and make the most god awful noise when you drive over them.

Commercial solar panels are at about 24% efficiency right now. That means 24% of the sun they take in is being converted to electricity. What happens when technology advances? I mean unless those two have some ties with the government to get more efficient panels, it seems like a waste until our technology is up there.

Who owns the electricity produced? Will it be tied back into the grid so that power companies can continue to charge exorbitant prices per watt?

What about the taxpayers money to even get something like this nation wide? All the production and redoing the roads would be killer for the average American.

Working in the solar industry, one of the biggest rejections we get about solar is that it looks ugly. Putting a few LED lights on it isn't going to make it any better. Not to mention all the resources that will be needed to manufacture these panels will pretty much offset any environmental benefits for a while.

It's a cool concept, but I don't think it's practical.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:29 am 
Elite Member

Seems very unrealistic ..... perhaps one day, if I had to guess it's not happening in our near future.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:31 pm 
Forum Legend

Meh!
What about Earthquakes, maintenance costs?
Btw: The ground is always moving.. So, what would they do about that?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:03 pm 
Elite Member

This probably wouldn't work here where it can be +30C in summer and -30C in winter.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:34 pm 

.curve wrote:
Solar consultant here, I don't see these being practical.

The bumps in the glass they are using will tear up tires and make the most god awful noise when you drive over them.

I highly doubt the people who design the panel's surface would overlook the obvious effects it will have on tires...If these bumps on the glass do cause a problem the panels can be re-surfaced as this project is in it's infancy..
.curve wrote:
Commercial solar panels are at about 24% efficiency right now. That means 24% of the sun they take in is being converted to electricity. What happens when technology advances? I mean unless those two have some ties with the government to get more efficient panels, it seems like a waste until our technology is up there.

The panels makes for a modular road configuration so they can be changed out in sections as technology evolves...And these people would be working with the government to pull this off if the project is green lighted...
.curve wrote:
Who owns the electricity produced? Will it be tied back into the grid so that power companies can continue to charge exorbitant prices per watt?

My guess is the city/municipality/government that would own the electricity produced by the infrastructure the tax payers money build. Just like the current road ways. It's probably better than some private power company owning it and charging us high fees per watt...
.curve wrote:
What about the taxpayers money to even get something like this nation wide? All the production and redoing the roads would be killer for the average American.

This is a good argument as it would cost trillions of dollars to re-do the roads with these solar panel technology...But if it is done in stages and if tax payers can see reductions in their energy bills along the way, as well as a city requiring less funds for road maintenance work (no more painting lanes, plowing snow etc) it could make the transition more financially digestible...
.curve wrote:
Working in the solar industry, one of the biggest rejections we get about solar is that it looks ugly. Putting a few LED lights on it isn't going to make it any better. Not to mention all the resources that will be needed to manufacture these panels will pretty much offset any environmental benefits for a while.

Looks are subjective...Some of us will think it looks aesthetically pleasing but more appealing than looks is the benefits it offers...Using re-cycled materials is also a bonus because the current method (I think, not sure) isn't using recyclable materials..
.curve wrote:
It's a cool concept, but I don't think it's practical.

I don't agree as everything in our technological evolution points to systems such as these...Our society is gravitating towards being more technologically connected in every way each year and is more concern with energy conservation...This dual purpose road fits the bill...

I don't see this going into full effect across the nation any time soon but what will happen is small sections of a community/city trying it out as test projects...We'll probably see hybrid roads in our time...solar panels roads within cities while the highways remain as asphalt...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:38 pm 
Forum Legend

BuDo wrote:
This is a good argument as it would cost trillions of dollars to re-do the roads with these solar panel technology...But if it is done in stages and if tax payers can see reductions in their energy bills along the way, as well as a city requiring less funds for road maintenance work (no more painting lanes, plowing snow etc) it could make the transition more financially digestible...
Do you honestly think, it would reduce the cost of... energy bills?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:43 pm 

*BlackFox wrote:
BuDo wrote:

The possibility exist...I'm not an expert on this but my guess is the free energy market (wind, hydro, solar) is a bit more stable in comparison to fossil fuel energy...Maybe because the demands on it is quite low... Either way you tend to hear more about fluctuating oil prices affecting electricity cost...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:18 pm 
Elite Member

BuDo wrote:
*BlackFox wrote:
BuDo wrote:

The possibility exist...I'm not an expert on this but my guess is the free energy market (wind, hydro, solar) is a bit more stable in comparison to fossil fuel energy...Maybe because the demands on it is quite low... Either way you tend to hear more about fluctuating oil prices affecting electricity cost...

It's way more stable, but still way in it's early stages.

I mentioned the 24% efficiency of my company's panels. Factor in that if even a fraction of the panel is being shaded that efficiency drops drastically. I'm talking like if even 3% of the panel is shaded, you're looking at a drop of about 3/4 production from the panels.

It would also be a long time before the savings from these panels offsets the cost it would take to redo huge portions of road.

An average house runs on about 3-4 kWs per day. That's roughly 12-16 panels for just ONE house, and these panels they're using for the road are considerably smaller than their residential counterparts.

The video doesn't mention specifics like efficiency or how many watts each panel produces, it just throws buzzwords at you with impact font. I'd like to see more specifications

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:01 am 
Elite Member

Dream on mofos.

Cool idea, but can't say I would want light up roads anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:27 am 

DarkJackal wrote:
Dream on mofos.

Cool idea, but can't say I would want light up roads anyway.

Compelling counter argument in that video I must admit...at least for some of it anyways...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:45 am 
Elite Member

Compelling ? He destroyed this proposition.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:37 pm 
Forum Legend

And so the pendulum swings the other way...

To be fair, the smug British-accented guy has some bullshit in his refutation as well. Eg. His whole tirade against using heated solar tiles to melt snow. You don't need to actually heat ice back to water (equivalent to heating water from 0C to 70C he says), you need to make the ground temperature above a certain temperature so the snow does not deposit in the first place.

Also he calculates the costs of the materials at retail cost (the amount it would cost if he went to the store himself to buy it) not the cost in bulk, which is how the manufacturing company would sell in. Uses quality of regular glass to compare hardness (from a Wikipedia article to) as opposed to tempered glass (just cause they have the same name doesn't mean they aren't eons apart in terms of technology)

It's a cool concept, probably not feasible economically or technology wise to be rolled out anytime soon over the US, but the way the smugcuntish British guy is comparing it to pogo sticks going to the moon as if it's never possible is just complete bullshit.

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:52 pm 
Frequent Member

Civil engineer here and this has next to no uses. It could only be used in parking lots, in regions where there is absolutely no snow. The technology has to GREATLY improve before it can even start to be considered an option for actual roads, let alone highways.

_
Diablo 3
GuyLafleur - 60 (54) - Wizz

GTA5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:44 pm 
Frequent Member

Tire installer here. We have enough business as it is. We don't need this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:22 pm 
Elite Member

Ganja wrote:

To be fair, that would be some awesome job security for you if they went through with this

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:23 pm 
Frequent Member

Solar panel here, I'm not ready.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:43 am 
Elite Member

Deal with this thing is that it offers little value as road replacement and just installing solar panels everywhere would be a million times more effective in every sense of the word.

Last edited by Love on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:14 am 
Frequent Member

.curve wrote:
Ganja wrote:

To be fair, that would be some awesome job security for you if they went through with this

It's kind of like working at a cemetery or crematorium, people are always gonna die, and they will always need tires.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Love wrote:
Deal with this thing is that it offers little value as road replacement and just installing solar panels everywhere would be a million times more effective in every sense of the word.
And it would cause... environmental damage in the process.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:19 pm 
Elite Member