Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking to buy a laptop, thoughs/suggestions?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:12 am 

So me not being near my rig for like 4 months of the year, junior year where projects matter at Digipen, and for some farked up reason the open lab areas have gotten progressively shittier since I've been here so I said **** it I'll buy a laptop that's somewhat decent at playing games and be at around 1k USD. I though of buying an Origin laptop due to their lifetime warranty, but I figured **** it if it breaks in 2-3 years who gives a shit at that point I shouldve graduated by then and have a job.

Image, because screw links, but if you wish to see the links

Spoiler!

So Lenovo has a coupon code for $50 off making it $1000. My main problem is I've never heard of that laptop brand(?) from ibuypower.

Lenovo has 15" and a hybrid drive whereas the right has the better CPU and smaller monitor. So I'm not sure what to buy. I'd probably go for the right, but Battalion and IBP? I'm not entirely sure.

Edit:

http://www.xoticpc.com/force-16gc-29029 ... -7173.html

A buddy told me "fck ibp, shit company." Then linked me xoticpc and I saw this msi one. Hmmm

Last edited by Toshiharu on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Looking to buy a laptop, thoughs/suggestions?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 am 
Site Contributor

Dude, anything without an SSD anymore is outdated. Especially with a gaming laptop. With the game sizes that are coming out now-a-days you'll want an SSD to load those big maps. I got my UltraBook on special @ 850$ Tax in. 8GB DDR3 ram, intel i5 1.8GHz 3rd gen, 128GB SSD as the primary drive, and I have an external 1TB for any excess. It's not a gaming laptop though. Not too sure what you want to do with yours.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:04 pm 

Majorharper wrote:
Dude, anything without an SSD anymore is outdated. Especially with a gaming laptop. With the game sizes that are coming out now-a-days you'll want an SSD to load those big maps. I got my UltraBook on special @ 850$ Tax in. 8GB DDR3 ram, intel i5 1.8GHz 3rd gen, 128GB SSD as the primary drive, and I have an external 1TB for any excess. It's not a gaming laptop though. Not too sure what you want to do with yours.

I know the speeds of SSDs are very nice, but I'm still not willing to spend x10 per gigabyte towards it. However, a hybrid drive does a pretty good job unless you're reading a lot off the disc. I'm okay with waiting a few extra seconds to load those 'big' maps.

Main use would be programming so I don't really care too much about disc read, but the processor I sorta do. I just need something that can run more or less a 3D game and compile since that's what my junior year project is. A low end mobile gfx would be sufficient, but as I said I'm not home for a quarter of the year(summer/winter) which is why I'd like a 860m.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:12 pm 

I am stealing your thread. So Im going to uni in 6 weeks and I have to buy laptop. I ask your help, because I dont know shit about computers. It'll be used for web surfing and gaming (not hc, but something like sro). Feel free to offer me something better and share your honest thoughts. full plz

1. Price: 739€/989$
Spoiler!

2. Price: 599€/802$
Spoiler!

Any thoughts about those laptops?
TY nubs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 pm 
Elite Member

surface pro 3 master race.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 pm 

I'm sorta in the market for a gaming laptop myself...Just waiting for my cheap rig here to die off...I gave up on desktop PCs over a year ago but still ended up buying one because it was real cheep...

I got what I paid for plus all the other annoyance that comes with having a desktop...such as tons of cords, lots of fan noise, and static dust/mothballs build up inside...Now I know for sure I ain't getting another desktop...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 am 

BuDo wrote:
I'm sorta in the market for a gaming laptop myself...Just waiting for my cheap rig here to die off...I gave up on desktop PCs over a year ago but still ended up buying one because it was real cheep...

I got what I paid for plus all the other annoyance that comes with having a desktop...such as tons of cords, lots of fan noise, and static dust/mothballs build up inside...Now I know for sure I ain't getting another desktop...

You have shit cable management, had shit cooling, and get your shit off the floor. Hardly an annoyance, but hey that's just me. Also the hell is wrong with you for going dot dot dot every sentence. It's stupid, please stop it.

As for best bang for your buck, it's pretty much that Lenovo y50 after I was done searching for 800 series, but that's just 800 nvidia series mind you. Why did I want 800 series? Runs cooler, but be careful since there are 2 860m models of maxwell and kepler. It comes in touch screen for whatever reason for $200 more or an absurd 4k monitor for another $300 if I recall. I've found no issues and it never goes above 75c, but I'm not using it on my lap or screwing up it's airflow. It is using a 860m, but hey I don't plan on using it as my gaming rig at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:13 am 

uh?..........

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:30 am 

BuDo wrote:
uh?..........

Will somebody please think of the children?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:24 pm 

Toshiharu wrote:
BuDo wrote:
uh?..........

Will somebody please think of the children?

Sorry...I can't....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:08 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

I want to buy a new computer but its price is quite high. Does anyone here have a discount code for me, please.