Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: MY dumb questions about the world
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:51 am 

So we all know the world is a very vast and different place but I've learned some things over the years that seemed really dumb but honestly surprised me, like when someone said they had no idea what June bugs were because you grow so used to them in Michigan summers, or like earlier today when someone said they had only seen lightning in their area of the country once in 2 years. Just stupid little shit like that. Since this is a group of people from all around the world, I want to take this chance to ask you guys my dumb world questions.

#1 Something I've wondered for a while. Do black people in other parts of the civilized world take offense to the N word? I'd assume they wouldn't?

#2 Okay I've looked this up but I just can't see this being the norm, Do judges in the UK really wear those wigs? The white powdered wigs. I mean I can see it for your highest court but do all of them do it.

#3 I had a gf that lived in the US then Germany then back again, She told me that the Germans get real asshurt/sensitive over people talking about Nazi's or calling people Nazi's and you could possibly be put in jail over it?

#4 I went to school with a kid who was from Jordan and tried to explain to the class that the women in the mid. east aren't angry about the oppression they go through. I kind of could see this being true due to the fact that, growing up like that over there has to be the norm so I don't see why they would see it as oppression, and (taking a guess here) the religion says that women are under men and tell them to wear burka's and follow behind the man etc. Can someone from an Islamic nation give me the lowdown here.
There will be more added as they are remembered.

Last edited by Aventus on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: MY dumb questions about the world
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:57 am 
Common Member

i guess its insult everywhere

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 am 
Elite Member

June bugs arent cicadas >.>.

Junebug
Spoiler!

Cicada
Spoiler!

Last edited by DarkJackal on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:03 am 

Thanks, changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No. they don't. It's an American thing. To begin with the word just means black in another language.
With that said I think it's become somewhat customary to call them black anyway, either cause that's what everyon has become used to hearing in movies or just to avoid incidents.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm 
Ex-Staff

The black/colored people I know don't mind the 'N-word'. But I'm sure it's different for every person whether or not they feel affected/insulted by it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 pm 
Frequent Member

Same meaning and it depends to who you say it, if it's a friend of yours and is told as a joke none will be offended, go outside and tell it to a stranger, you've got a fight right there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:31 pm 
Frequent Member

I'm from the US so I can't really help you there.

What I would think is offensive is that here it is 'politically correct' to call black people African American. 100% of the black folks I've met have never set foot in an African country.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:41 pm 
Veteran Member

the N word is completely fine here, ive never seen anyone who took it offensively or was bothered because of it.

HUUU MADE THIS SIG?? Amarisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:41 pm 

Ganja wrote:
I'm from the US so I can't really help you there.

What I would think is offensive is that here it is 'politically correct' to call black people African American. 100% of the black folks I've met have never set foot in an African country.

Yea, I find that to be more offensive in an odd way.

I figured people in other countries couldn't really get offended for a derogatory term that originated elsewhere. On the flip side to that the world has become pretty interconnected with the internet so people can understand that the word is being used with malicious intent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:53 pm 
Valued Member

Answer to Question 2: yes there do wear wigs in English courts (crown courts).

Question 3: Germans don't like being called "nazi",but going to jail is incorrect..

Assasin - Archer/Force - 120 - Ninjitsu

"In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our friends"

"Adversity does teach who your real friends are"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mayumi wrote:

Question 3: Germans don't like being called "nazi",but going to jail is incorrect..

There's a decent amount of cautiousness in regards to nazi's in germany. It's definitely not an easy topic there from what I've understood. They seem very careful about it and as a result there's also a lot of attention in regards to appearances in the media. That is to say, it's not forbidden or anything, but mentioning/showing world-war related stuff automatically raises the rating to 18+ for things like movies and games, so it usually gets censored in some way... or so I've heard anyway. Perhaps in relation to this cautiousness around violence there's also a very strange ban on death screams in media rated lower than 16+. Like if somebody dies they're not allowed to go "aaaaaaghgghhhhhhgthgh" or the rating is instantly bumped :P.
Korean death screams in in S4 league were so glorious, but alaplaya is a german portal/publisher T_T

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am 

The sub-human connotation behind the "N" word is where the real offensiveness lies and not necessarily the word itself...People who don't understand the meaning most likely wont take offense...

Almost any black person that understands the negative connotation/meaning behind the word (which is basically saying you're an inferior sub species of the human race) will most likely take offense...Unless that black person truly doesn't care about being negatively labeled in any way...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:18 pm 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
Mayumi wrote:

There's a decent amount of cautiousness in regards to nazi's in germany. It's definitely not an easy topic there from what I've understood. They seem very careful about it and as a result there's also a lot of attention in regards to appearances in the media. That is to say, it's not forbidden or anything, but mentioning/showing world-war related stuff automatically raises the rating to 18+ for things like movies and games, so it usually gets censored in some way... or so I've heard anyway. Perhaps in relation to this cautiousness around violence there's also a very strange ban on death screams in media rated lower than 16+. Like if somebody dies they're not allowed to go "aaaaaaghgghhhhhhgthgh" or the rating is instantly bumped :P.
Korean death screams in in S4 league were so glorious, but alaplaya is a german portal/publisher T_T

So many horror movies in Germany are also cut, so any good gorey moments are just missing. :palm:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm 
Valued Member

BuDo wrote:
The sub-human connotation behind the "N" word is where the real offensiveness lies and not necessarily the word itself...People who don't understand the meaning most likely wont take offense...

Almost any black person that understands the negative connotation/meaning behind the word (which is basically saying you're an inferior sub species of the human race) will most likely take offense...Unless that black person truly doesn't care about being negatively labeled in any way...

Agreed Bud,its how the N word is used...

Assasin - Archer/Force - 120 - Ninjitsu

"In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our friends"

"Adversity does teach who your real friends are"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:48 pm 
Forum Legend

Aventus wrote:
I went to school with a kid who was from Jordan and tried to explain to the class that the
women in the mid. east aren't angry about the oppression they go through.
I kind of could see this being true
Honestly... I think it's bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:57 pm 
Ex-Staff

*BlackFox wrote:
Aventus wrote:
I went to school with a kid who was from Jordan and tried to explain to the class that the

I don't think it is, if they are raised with the idea they are there to serve the men. You can't miss it if you never experienced it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:21 pm 
Forum Legend

XMoshe wrote:
if they are raised with the idea they are there to serve the men.
Raised ? They are.. completely brainwashed by this men. They aren't even aware of... their rights in the first place !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:26 pm 

Aventus wrote:
#1 Something I've wondered for a while. Do black people in other parts of the civilized world take offense to the N word? I'd assume they wouldn't?

That's how they call black people in Russia. I guess it's more of an american thing that made it such a big deal where it's a big nono to say. It's quite silly if you think about it. You can actively talk shit about everyone else, but once you say ***** people flip their shit. Jobs are lost, you have to publicly apologize like anyone really gives a shit, and you're supposed to feel morally wrong to ever cross that line.

*BlackFox wrote:
XMoshe wrote:
if they are raised with the idea they are there to serve the men.
Raised ? They are.. completely brainwashed by this men. They aren't even aware of... their rights in the first place !

Thank God for the USA where little girls are dressed up like whores, because that's how they were brainwashed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Toshiharu wrote:
where little girls are dressed up like whores
little girls as whore... because of the way they are dressed ?
What would you say, If a little boy walks down the street... in a G-string. Cool?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:44 pm 
Veteran Member

XMoshe wrote:
*BlackFox wrote:
Aventus wrote:

I don't think it is, if they are raised with the idea they are there to serve the men. You can't miss it if you never experienced it.

lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:25 pm 
Elite Member

*BlackFox wrote:
Toshiharu wrote:
What would you say, If a little boy walks down the street... in a G-string. Cool?

No the boy equivalent would be little boys running around sagging their pants to their ankles acting like little thugs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 pm 

*BlackFox wrote:
Toshiharu wrote:

I don't see the difference from your comment and my comment. Your judging a lot from the way their dressed and you question what I say? Oh, how funny. As for your g-string comment, yeah, they'd be extremely cool. Imagine him going to pre-school with that. Instant hit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:54 pm 

I'm not sure if women in the middle east consider themselves sexually oppressed.... Just like anyone else on the planet they have been molded since birth to accept certain forms of thinking and lifestyles...That is not say they can't change their perception later on though...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 am 
Veteran Member

im gonna answer 4, first of all the guess you made is kinda wrong, ive never heard of the walk behind the man thingy, most of muslims don't wear burka (like 98%) the ones who wear it are rare.

in fact I barely see any kind of opression (yes there are men who opress their women, but they are dicks, religion doesnt say that), in my college the number of girls is 150% of the guys (dentistry), and to be honest women get special treatment almost everywhere, sometimes I feel its really stupid.. ill give an example here:
Spoiler!

the only form of the woman being inferior to the man is that if she wants to go out of the home she has to tell him and he has to say ok, and incase he says no he has to provide a viable reason.

and about clothing (hijab), you probably think they dont go beaches/waterparks/pools or watever, they do.. they are given women-only days twice a week I think, if there is anything else or if my reply didnt cover something you wanted to know.. tell me and ill write about it.

sorry about any spelling (..etc), im on mobile.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:13 pm 
Forum Legend

Toshiharu wrote:
question what I say?
You said... they're dressed like a "whore" I didn't.
I would say... some girls are badly dressed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:49 pm 

Strwarrior wrote:
im gonna answer 4, first of all the guess you made is kinda wrong, ive never heard of the walk behind the man thingy, most of muslims don't wear burka (like 98%) the ones who wear it are rare.

in fact I barely see any kind of opression (yes there are men who opress their women, but they are dicks, religion doesnt say that), in my college the number of girls is 150% of the guys (dentistry), and to be honest women get special treatment almost everywhere, sometimes I feel its really stupid.. ill give an example here:
Spoiler!

the only form of the woman being inferior to the man is that if she wants to go out of the home she has to tell him and he has to say ok, and incase he says no he has to provide a viable reason.

and about clothing (hijab), you probably think they dont go beaches/waterparks/pools or watever, they do.. they are given women-only days twice a week I think, if there is anything else or if my reply didnt cover something you wanted to know.. tell me and ill write about it.

Whats up with all this separatists behavior?...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:48 am 
Veteran Member

BuDo wrote:
Strwarrior wrote:

Spoiler!

we dont have 15 and pregnant so thats a benefit, and people get to know what is right and what is wrong, its not like you cant do whatever you please, but you've been given the knowledge that it is wrong and its all up to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:08 am 

Strwarrior wrote:
BuDo wrote:
Strwarrior wrote:

Spoiler!

we dont have 15 and pregnant so thats a benefit, and people get to know what is right and what is wrong, its not like you cant do whatever you please, but you've been given the knowledge that it is wrong and its all up to you.

Doesn't appear as if it's all up to you with these culturally and/or religiously driven rules being publicly exercised to keep the sexes separate in a lot of cases....I hardly get the sense of free will in your story...

And I have a bone to pick with an enforced sense of right and wrong that happens anywhere as the practitioners aren't necessarily good people if they're sorta being herded into a certain direction by the rules...

Last edited by BuDo on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:02 am 
Veteran Member

wont quote so it wont get so big, anyways yeah, it may not seem like there is free will by just reading my comment, you'll have to live here so you'd understand it, the seperation is in some cases, like the waterpark thingy, its mixed and female only days obviously for women's advantage (but the advisor timing is completely something I dont understand, its not even religion related at all)..

well they are not really rules but lets say they are, I myself broke these rules many times, I may not be a good person in that regard but I know what i did wasnt right, that doesnt make me a non-muslim because forgiveness is always there.