Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: No Windows 9
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:52 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29431412

Quote:
Microsoft has disclosed the first details of Windows 10 - its next operating system (OS).

The name is a surprise bearing in mind it represents a jump from the last version - Windows 8.

The software will run on a wide range of devices from smartphones and tablets to PCs and Xbox games consoles, with applications sold from a single store.

It also marks the return of the Start Menu, which had been removed from Windows 8.

I guess the early rumors that W9 was going to go even deeper with the Metro style were true.
I can only imagine the abomination they conceived had to be put down and forgotten before it could cause any more damage. Glad they realized before it was too late.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

Last edited by poehalcho on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: No Windows 9
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:08 pm 
Elite Member

Xbox One, Windows 10(after 8 ) -.- ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:44 pm 
Elite Member

I am not using the start button for now but glad to see it back, it was a dumb decision.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:33 am 
Elite Member

The ability to add extra desktops is a nice new feature as well. I'm really starting to look forward to Windows 10. I believe they've found a great middle-ground between touch and keyboard/mouse.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:44 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ltsune wrote:
The ability to add extra desktops is a nice new feature as well. I'm really starting to look forward to Windows 10. I believe they've found a great middle-ground between touch and keyboard/mouse.

It's definitely already better than W8 from the looks of it, though I'm not very positive about their idea of unifying the interface for non-touch and touch devices. It's a bit like a bad port. Your constantly see remnants of things that have no use in your environment.

If I'm using a PC or Laptop chances are pretty big I won't have touch, and even if I do I probably wouldn't use it much just because the screen can get incredibly hard to clean after a while. So why do I need to see any of this metro stuff then?
When I looked at the screenshots I almost thought they were advertisements at first... so colorful...
Additionally those tiles barely actually show anything you wouldn't normally have access to...
clock? bottom right, word/excel? I can just pin em to my start menu and they'd take up less space, ads? wait...they actually are ads D: why do we have ads!?!

Anyway, you get my point I hope.

It's good that microsoft has taken a step back, but it's not quite perfect in my opinion.
It probably won't be until microsoft gives up on the idea of 'a unified OS'.

PC's are PC's, phones are phones, tablets are tablets. Each of these is used far too differently to be able to utilize the same system effectively.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:16 pm 
Forum Legend

They should remove all... shitty apps !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:48 pm 
Elite Member

From what I read about windows 9 I thought, awesome, no more trying to force tablet shit on a freakin desktop OS. Then yea, the wonderful start menu is back(even though you can get it back yourself with a simple program) and they went ahead and put some tiles there for you too. Now it sounds like they are trying to merge all their shit. Will the stupid decisions ever end from microsoft? >.>

I'm on Windows 7, certainly aint touching 8, I almost wanna go back to XP, there's not much I do that requires 7 really. So many little things Microsoft changed from 7 that make think wtf. I have multiple 3rd party programs running at all times just to give me some level of customization that I was use to with XP, and there's some that I can't change so I had to deal with.

I'ma end up switching to some other OS and PlayStation >.>.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:57 pm 

Windows 10 should be great
speed of W8
functionality of W7 (for desktop users)

1 OS for all devices (kernel) -> desktop, laptop, tablets, phones
Biggest advantage -> buy app; runs on all devices (if hardware is strong enough/compatibel)

Depending on the device:
"Metro" will be set for tablets & laptops with touchscreen
Desktop pc's will automatically set the "classic" start menu (w7 ish - also includes apps now)
still free to change manually (except phone; duh)
All apps will run in a windowed mode! (finally)
Set up multiple desktops (up to 4)

Tech Preview is out; install & test it out?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:32 am 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
I guess the early rumors that W9 was going to go even deeper with the Metro style were true.
I can only imagine the abomination they conceived had to be put down and forgotten before it could cause any more damage. Glad they realized before it was too late.

I thought the rumored W9 was much better than W10...
Also 9>10.
I think I might be sticking with W7 for my next pc too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:57 am 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
ltsune wrote:

It's definitely already better than W8 from the looks of it, though I'm not very positive about their idea of unifying the interface for non-touch and touch devices. It's a bit like a bad port. Your constantly see remnants of things that have no use in your environment.

If I'm using a PC or Laptop chances are pretty big I won't have touch, and even if I do I probably wouldn't use it much just because the screen can get incredibly hard to clean after a while. So why do I need to see any of this metro stuff then?
When I looked at the screenshots I almost thought they were advertisements at first... so colorful...
Additionally those tiles barely actually show anything you wouldn't normally have access to...
clock? bottom right, word/excel? I can just pin em to my start menu and they'd take up less space, ads? wait...they actually are ads D: why do we have ads!?!

Anyway, you get my point I hope.

It's good that microsoft has taken a step back, but it's not quite perfect in my opinion.
It probably won't be until microsoft gives up on the idea of 'a unified OS'.

PC's are PC's, phones are phones, tablets are tablets. Each of these is used far too differently to be able to utilize the same system effectively.

Personally, I think the idea of a unified operating system is the best idea ever. I'm not kidding. I want to be able to run my windows software on my tablet as well, and in the future even my phone. It surprises me that this wasn't what Apple did to begin with.

Anyway, what Microsoft is doing right with Windows 10 is that they start to hide things that you won't use depending on what type of device you use. While remaining the same operating system, the metro-style menu will not be used on a desktop with keyboard a mouse. This should change automatically - but if not, you can always change the settings for it manually.
Basically, they're hiding all the stuff that (as you said) is primarily made for touch when you're on the desktop, and will change to a more touch friendly version when you're on a touch device.

DarkJackal wrote:
From what I read about windows 9 I thought, awesome, no more trying to force tablet shit on a freakin desktop OS. Then yea, the wonderful start menu is back(even though you can get it back yourself with a simple program) and they went ahead and put some tiles there for you too. Now it sounds like they are trying to merge all their shit. Will the stupid decisions ever end from microsoft? >.>

I'm on Windows 7, certainly aint touching 8, I almost wanna go back to XP, there's not much I do that requires 7 really. So many little things Microsoft changed from 7 that make think wtf. I have multiple 3rd party programs running at all times just to give me some level of customization that I was use to with XP, and there's some that I can't change so I had to deal with.

I'ma end up switching to some other OS and PlayStation >.>.

You can easily turn the tiles off completely, if you don't like them.
That's the thing. The way I see it, Windows is giving back the option to the user. If you like tiles, you can keep them in your new start menu. But if you don't, just go ahead and turn them off. Easy as that :)

One size does NOT fit all, and I guess they've learned that now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:49 am 
Elite Member

ltsune wrote:
Anyway, what Microsoft is doing right with Windows 10 is that they start to hide things that you won't use depending on what type of device you use. While remaining the same operating system, the metro-style menu will not be used on a desktop with keyboard a mouse. This should change automatically - but if not, you can always change the settings for it manually.

Then they better let me uninstall the unneeded stuff completely so that it doesn't waste space.

And I'd rather stick with Android for my touch related things.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:14 am 
Elite Member

Sanktum wrote:
poehalcho wrote:

I thought the rumored W9 was much better than W10...
Also 9>10.
I think I might be sticking with W7 for my next pc too.

I guess, you've heard different/more rumors than I have?
What have I missed?

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:26 am 
Elite Member

Sanktum wrote:
ltsune wrote:

Then they better let me uninstall the unneeded stuff completely so that it doesn't waste space.

And I'd rather stick with Android for my touch related things.

What unneeded stuff do you mean? I have Windows 8 on my laptop, and I've removed everything I don't need :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:13 pm 
Forum Legend

..Why do they have tiles in the start menu.

That literally kills any point of having a start menu, or tiles. :palm:

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:39 pm 
Forum Legend

Razorhead wrote:
Biggest advantage -> buy app; runs on all devices (if hardware is strong enough/compatibel)
Meh.. There's no advantage! Just Annoying!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:18 pm 

*BlackFox wrote:
Razorhead wrote:

How is that annoying...
Buy an app 1 time & be able to use it on all your devices...

Anyway, just installed W10 Tech Preview
It's even faster than W8.1.1
Installed in 5 minutes (from USB)
Rebooting in less then 30 seconds

Test rig:
Specs:
i5-2500k
16GB RAM
Intel 80GB SSD

Startmenu = very well done (took the best of W7 & W8 (right-click menu))

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:39 pm 
Elite Member

Razorhead wrote:
*BlackFox wrote:
Razorhead wrote:

How is that annoying...

Anyway, just installed W10 Tech Preview
It's even faster than W8.1.1
Installed in 5 minutes (from USB)
Rebooting in less then 30 seconds

Test rig:
Specs:
i5-2500k
16GB RAM
Intel 80GB SSD

Startmenu = very well done (took the best of W7 & W8 (right-click menu))

Any screens possibly?
How easy is it to modify stuff, what kind of settings do you have available?
To what extent can metro be made to disappear or take over entirely?

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:12 pm 
Forum Legend

Razorhead wrote:
How is that annoying...
But I don't want to buy an app.. xD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:48 pm 

poehalcho wrote:
Any screens possibly?
How easy is it to modify stuff, what kind of settings do you have available?
To what extent can metro be made to disappear or take over entirely?

Well, the OS detects touch screen devices
no touch -> Startmenu (no metro)
touch -> metro
But u can easily change the settings on a desktop though
startmenu has programs + apps & u can pin them also (tile size small, medium, large, wide)
right-clicking the start menu gives the same menu as in W8 (diskmanagement, software, system, cmd, ...)

Took some screenshots, but they are still on the test-rig
I'll upload them monday, after work

Also, the windowed Apps are a god bless; top left corner has ... (but vertically) which is the
menu for the app (settings, full screen (like it's now), ...) instead of the stupid charms on the right side (which 95% of users don't even know about right now)

Drivers:
Realtek Audio, Nvidia Graphics, intel chipset 10.0.1.3, intel MEI 8 (Hardware doesn't support 9)
All installed perfectly using W8.1 x64 drivers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:18 pm 
Elite Member

TheDrop wrote:
..Why do they have tiles in the start menu.

That literally kills any point of having a start menu, or tiles. :palm:

If I am not mistaken, the tiles can be removed if you don't like them. Customization :sohappy:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:22 pm 

we have to remember this is an early version... we should hold opinions for at least 6 months. I personally like the new start menu idea because its an idea. I am aware that tiles are used currently to display information but maybe also buttons which means I could play music from my start menu with a tile and have the artist and title appear... or a fan monitoring that tells me my temps without being on my taskbar.

I am not exactly sure how to receive it but my favourite feature so far is that the gray "border" around windows are gone and its just a flat image.