Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blizzard wants its names back!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Old World of Warcraft accounts being plundered

Quote:
Blizzard has realized that there are loads of great character names not in use anymore in its World of Warcraft MMO, and it wants them back. So, as part of a great name liberation initiative, the WoW team is carrying out a name grab.

If you’re an active player of WoW, there’s no need to worry. The name liberation is going to happen for any character that has not logged in since November 13, 2008. Chances are if you haven’t played a character for the last 6 years, you don’t really care what has and will happen to it. More importantly, it means all really old accounts that no longer earn Blizzard money from a subscription will be losing their character names.

You have to imagine there’s going to be thousands of great names locked up in these accounts. The earlier you subscribed to the game, the more name choice there was. And Blizzard will certainly profit from unlocking them. Not only will new subscribers benefit from more choice, but existing players can pay to change their character names.

If you have characters from 2008 or earlier that you’d like to keep, you can. All you need to do is load up WoW and login as each one before the Warlords of Draenor pre-patch (6.0.2) goes live. The expansion is set to release on November 13, and the last pre-patch went live on August 27, so 6.0.2 will be out within the next few weeks. In other words, don’t put off logging into WoW if you have a cool name you want to retain ownership of.

Post subject: Re: Blizzard wants its names back!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:17 pm 
Forum God

They should've done this a long time ago.

And only to 2008? Dats still 6 years. lol.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:46 am 
Common Member

nooooo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:52 pm 
Elite Member

Sounds like a bit of a greedy move. But on the other hand, the account names aren't being used anymore.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:35 pm 
Elite Member

Good thing I logged in last month just to see what's up. Can't let my Paladin have his name changed like that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:56 pm 

.curve wrote:
Good thing I logged in last month just to see what's up. Can't let my Paladin have his name changed like that.

Weren't you a major WoW fan advocating how great a game it was?... what's with this "I logged in last month to see whats up" business... You finally woke up and realize that it died years ago?......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 pm 
Forum God

ltsune wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a greedy move. But on the other hand, the account names aren't being used anymore.

While it is a nice way to get some money, all the good names have been taken for a long time. It'd be nice to have some relief from that. Kinda a win-win for players and Blizzard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:40 pm 
Elite Member

Oh noes, my name lol.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:19 am 
Elite Member

Tasdik wrote:
ltsune wrote:

While it is a nice way to get some money, all the good names have been taken for a long time. It'd be nice to have some relief from that. Kinda a win-win for players and Blizzard.

Yeah, it is nice for the players as well. But I'm pretty sure the only reason Blizzard is doing this, is so that they can earn even more from selling name-changer scrolls or whatever they call them in WoW.

That being said, I see nothing wrong in a company trying to optimize their revenue. And it'll surely also be very nice for new players joining the game. Nothing worse than having to chose a name like x_XTheNameIWantedX_x because everything else is taken :roll:

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:42 pm 
Elite Member

BuDo wrote:
.curve wrote:

Weren't you a major WoW fan advocating how great a game it was?... what's with this "I logged in last month to see whats up" business... You finally woke up and realize that it died years ago?......

Real life got in the way. I couldn't make it consistently to raids each week so I had to man up and call it. I raided an entire expansion with the same guild and it was up there as the best times I've had gaming.

It was also slightly personal as I'm not a fan of pandas at all since I first saw them at Blizzcon 2011. The final boss of the expansion, Garrosh, looked amazing. I wish I was still playing/raiding for that one fight alone.

WoW's still the best MMO out there today and I'll gladly suggest it to someone who is just getting into the MMO scene.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:55 pm 

.curve wrote:
BuDo wrote:
.curve wrote:

Real life got in the way. I couldn't make it consistently to raids each week so I had to man up and call it. I raided an entire expansion with the same guild and it was up there as the best times I've had gaming.

It was also slightly personal as I'm not a fan of pandas at all since I first saw them at Blizzcon 2011. The final boss of the expansion, Garrosh, looked amazing. I wish I was still playing/raiding for that one fight alone.

WoW's still the best MMO out there today and I'll gladly suggest it to someone who is just getting into the MMO scene.

That last comment is so entrenched in bias its not even funny....So there is no point in trying to counter it with any justifiable arguments...which are plentiful seeing as how old WoW is...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:11 am 
Frequent Member

Farking tera erased people's name after 1 year

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:20 am 
Elite Member

BuDo wrote:
That last comment is so entrenched in bias its not even funny....So there is no point in trying to counter it with any justifiable arguments...which are plentiful seeing as how old WoW is...

The age of WoW says enough about it. It's over a decade old I think and still the largest MMO out there. It has the attraction for new and old players despite some negatives on either side.

From a completely objective standpoint, name a MMO better all around than WoW.