Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Koreans proposes minimum salaries for pro gamers
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:28 am 
Loyal Member

http://ardz.tv/korean-e-sports-associat ... ro-gamers/

Quote:
KeSPA wants to establish a “Minimum Salary Policy for Pro Players” for the 2015 season, according to an onGamers report, which will set salary standards “on par with other domestic professional sports to help pro players lead a stable professional career.” Also proposed is a minimum one-year contract requirement for players on LoL Champions teams, although that won’t become mandatory until the 2016 season.
Specific numbers aren’t mentioned, but a follow-up Inven analysis, translated by onGamers, notes that the minimum salary for professional baseball players in Korea is roughly $27,000, while the minimum for pro soccer players is $24,000, and basketball players bottom out at $35,000. The site guessed, based on the audience differential between e-sports and conventional sports, that the minimum salary for pro gamers will come in at around $20,000.
- See more at: http://ardz.tv/korean-e-sports-associat ... EzCaL.dpuf

thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Koreans proposes minimum salaries for pro gamers
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yes please, that will hopefully bring some stability forth.
Those guys need it, pro-gaming requires big sacrifices. Now they'll be able to cushion the risks a bit.

There's a chance it could backfire though. I'm not in the clear who is going to be paying those salaries... If it's the sponsors it might turn off companies from staying engaged in the industry as it sucks up too much of their money :(

edit: too early to type... looked like gollum speech pre-edit.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 am 
Elite Member

I hear regulation totally works.

/legittruestory

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:22 am 

Sorta dumb to consider it a career as most games don't last long enough....Once they're dead good luck landing another gig if you were lucky to get the first gig....Not a very stable career choice in my opinion.....

If they were paying out million dollar contracts then that would be better as you could invest a portion of that earnings to sustain the lifestyle during downtime of not having any work...which is bound to happen...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:59 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
BuDo wrote:
Sorta dumb to consider it a career as most games don't last long enough....Once they're dead good luck landing another gig if you were lucky to get the first gig....Not a very stable career choice in my opinion.....

If they were paying out million dollar contracts then that would be better as you could invest a portion of that earnings to sustain the lifestyle during downtime of not having any work...which is bound to happen...

Like any sport it's neither a long career nor a stable one.
It's a medium-risk gamble that has the potential to pay off reasonably well. The more people try their hands the more respect and rights they earn to protect themselves from unnecessary negative consequences.

When a game starts quieting down, some jump over to the next and keep their career going, others decide it's time to move on and restart their education or get a job (or in Korea's case, finally go do their military training).
Those that made it in esports often times come out with a good sum of money by the end, maybe not in the millions but definitely a few tons.
Esports is also much bigger in Korea, that place is the epicenter of the growth we're seeing everywhere else. Players there are quite literally treated as stars and sometimes even transfer into the movies and show-business.

This was the player entrance show during Broodwar finals in 2010.
That's a big freakin' crowd and a big freakin' budget... It's only grown since, just at different places.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:29 pm 
Forum Legend

A minimum wage is always a good idea ! xD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:43 am 
Elite Member

No opinion. Their culture is very different than ours. Such a plan would likely fail completely here, but maybe it's a good idea there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:06 pm 
Elite Member

Man they really take their e sports seriously.

Pay them what you want, just don't call it an actual sport alongside baseball or basketball or football or even soccer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:00 am 
Elite Member

They are legitimate sports. The stars of said sports are genetically gifted and work very hard to perform at that top tier. Far more intricate decisions take place and outstanding reaction time/coordination as a whole package delivers the performance that you see on the screen. To not acknowledge them is silly.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:44 pm 
Elite Member

Love wrote:
They are legitimate sports. The stars of said sports are genetically gifted and work very hard to perform at that top tier. Far more intricate decisions take place and outstanding reaction time/coordination as a whole package delivers the performance that you see on the screen. To not acknowledge them is silly.

They're e sports. The e is important as it keeps it separate from real sports. It's done through a virtual medium and the only "hard work" they do is turning their computer on and running the program.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:40 pm 
Elite Member

The hard work they do is training for far more hours daily with other people, far more hours than traditional sports. Reaction time and decision making on these players is far superior to most traditional athletes as well and this earns them respect in my book.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:58 pm 
Elite Member

Love wrote:
The hard work they do is training for far more hours daily with other people, far more hours than traditional sports. Reaction time and decision making on these players is far superior to most traditional athletes as well and this earns them respect in my book.

And by all means are they respected.
But it's still 2 separate things and for that reason 2 different words exist to separate them. And that's OK.
'sport' in esport acknowledges the competitive element of the game, and the effort that goes into it's mastery.
the 'e' signifies the elevation unto the glorious virtual fields of battle where no mortal man could ever hope to survive longer than 0.2 seconds.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:07 am 
Elite Member

I don't honestly mind different definitions for the two but I do have a problem with the thought process that puts traditional athletes in a different tier in terms of respect/glory. Fact is that most professional athletes in traditional sports are on steroid + gh + other shit. These are people burning themselves out to perform at that very peak for a short period of their lives. This is in no shape or form representative of true hard work + talent in it's natural form. Yet these are the ones the masses champion; once again the ones engaging in sick unhealthy behavior, thus my discontent.

This problem you can see again in bodybuilding. The ones who stand out in the eyes of crowds are those who abuse substances and trash their bodies in order to achieve that "aesthetic" look for a very temporary period of time. Yet those focusing on the health part of the sport receive far less attention. Which is fuced up because these are the people who are far more likely to improve the species genetically speaking in virtually every way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:11 am 

Sport
noun
1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as baseball and soccer"
synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics; pastime
"we did a lot of sports"

When you look at the definition of what the word sport means it makes "esport" looks laughable and understandably so...If we start looking at video gaming as a sport then almost anything can be viewed as a sport...watching a movie can then be a sport if someone come up with some competitive rules and regulations around it...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 am 
Elite Member

BuDo wrote:
Sport
noun
1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as baseball and soccer"
synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics; pastime
"we did a lot of sports"

When you look at the definition of what the word sport means it makes "esport" looks laughable and understandably so...If we start looking at video gaming as a sport then almost anything can be viewed as a sport...watching a movie can then be a sport if someone come up with some competitive rules and regulations around it...

sport and esport are separate words with some common letters.

Love wrote:
I don't honestly mind different definitions for the two but I do have a problem with the thought process that puts traditional athletes in a different tier in terms of respect/glory. Fact is that most professional athletes in traditional sports are on steroid + gh + other shit. These are people burning themselves out to perform at that very peak for a short period of their lives. This is in no shape or form representative of true hard work + talent in it's natural form. Yet these are the ones the masses champion; once again the ones engaging in sick unhealthy behavior, thus my discontent.

This problem you can see again in bodybuilding. The ones who stand out in the eyes of crowds are those who abuse substances and trash their bodies in order to achieve that "aesthetic" look for a very temporary period of time. Yet those focusing on the health part of the sport receive far less attention. Which is fuced up because these are the people who are far more likely to improve the species genetically speaking in virtually every way.

1. That's pretty generalized...
2. Maybe body building isn't really the best example. At the moment of competition bodybuilding might be closer to performance art than sport. The sport portion of it is much more prominent during the training that happens in the background :/

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:59 pm 
Forum Legend

Video gaming, chess, poker, or other games is NOT a sport.
But they are Just providing a way... for the best gamers to compete with each other in tournaments and such.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:23 pm 
Elite Member

Love wrote:

You're talking isolated cases in the grand scheme of the entire sports world. Drug testing is often and will show up eventually.

NFL players, for example, ARE the embodiment of hard work + talent in it's natural form. They are the people in the peak physical condition to play the roles they need to play. If any average joe could do it with steroids then there would be a lot more pro athletes.

I fully recognize them as E-Sports, that's fine. I just can't justify calling them just sports or even seeing them on the same level.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:39 pm 

Lets not forget that some so called pro gamers abuse exploits and hacks which can be viewed in a similar light as sport enhancing drugs in terms of trying to get an edge over the competition....So there is no point of thrashing real life athletes...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:58 am 
Elite Member

Lol you are crazy, pro football players are the biggest juice faces there are. Steroid is only a part of that equation; you can't play front row, whatever that's called without some sort of jesus juice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:44 pm 
Elite Member

Love wrote:
Lol you are crazy, pro football players are the biggest juice faces there are. Steroid is only a part of that equation; you can't play front row, whatever that's called without some sort of jesus juice.

Have you seen the dudes on the offensive and defensive lines?

They're naturally big dudes that put time into the gym and become running coke machines. The average lineman in 2011 was 6'5" and 310 pounds. That's just a big mother fucker my friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 am 
Elite Member

.curve wrote:
Love wrote:

Have you seen the dudes on the offensive and defensive lines?

They're naturally big dudes that put time into the gym and become running coke machines. The average lineman in 2011 was 6'5" and 310 pounds. That's just a big mother fucker my friend

There is nothing natural about 300 pounds of significant muscle at any height. This is not even a remote possibility. I understand why people don't get this and effectively believe fantasy land is the real world but still, you're wrong lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:08 am 
Elite Member

A bit off-topic but still relevant: Yesterday evening, Fifa 2014 e-sport was on Danish national television. Haven't seen that before.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:30 am 
Forum Legend

[quote="Love"
There is nothing natural about 300 pounds of significant muscle at any height. This is not even a remote possibility. I understand why people don't get this and effectively believe fantasy land is the real world but still, you're wrong lol.[/quote]
What? Are you trolling or just completely retarded?

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:49 am 
Elite Member

You are the retarded one, suck a d c bi ch

http://stronglifts.com/arnold-schwarzen ... ld-muscle/

compare/contrast data, then go back to sucking d c s.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:51 pm 
Elite Member

Love wrote:
You are the retarded one, suck a d c bi ch

http://stronglifts.com/arnold-schwarzen ... ld-muscle/

compare/contrast data, then go back to sucking d c s.

...did you just link to an article about professional body builders? No shit they're juicing up when they're dead lifting 700 lbs.

Linesmen in the NFL aren't training to dead lift 700 lbs. They're training to go up against another 310 lb dude to try to overpower him. They're naturally bigger dudes. That's why they get drafted to those positions.

I'll assume you're trolling from here on out I guess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:15 am 
Frequent Member

the majority of offensive lineman and dt's are packing a lot of body fat, forget who but there was a lineman a few years back who ate and ate to maintain his weight and then retired and dropped a ton of weight real quick. i mean they look like..

edit: lineman was center matt birk. too lazy to link it, information is easily googled if desired.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:07 am 
Elite Member

Are you really basing your argument on a person with high body fat ... you can be 1000 pounds with high body fat, you've proved nothing.

This is your showcase for juicing

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VM2gyxxMdEI/S ... vs+nfl.JPG

These people around 250 lbs with ~15% body fat, get out of here son. Not even remotely possible, specially with the frequency observed in the nfl. I couldn't produce a single 250 lbs natural bodybuilder to save my life.

Hell, I don't even need to look too far to find extreme athletes. My dad is one, dude would bench press 400 pounds by himself when I was kid. His weight around 200 with that 15% bf range, his height around 6 foot tall in his younger years.

I am at waiting now to hear how the extra 3 inches accounts for 50-100 pounds lol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:10 pm 
Frequent Member

did you totally ignore my picture? that guy is way above 15% body fat, he has a gut and more than likely giant man tits. the fact that you have to call lineman "front line guy thingies" shows that you shouldn't even be having this discussion with your roid boner and stat book at the ready. you linked barry bonds (lol) and vernon gholston (end/linebacker) which isn't what i was talking about and i was assuming wasn't what you were talking about. it was impossible to tell given your obvious lack of knowledge on anything that isn't copy and pasting research - if you can even call it that, from google.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:35 am 
Elite Member

/facepalm

Nvm, you are right, I was wrong. What do I know with my pasta research.