Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: [Short Story] A close call for France
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:42 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I wrote a small piece for a reddit thread, describing my playthrough of a game of Civilization V. Since I got a few comments telling me it was a pretty good read, I decided to elaborate it a bit and it ended up a 3 page short story. Since I'm quite proud of it, I decided to share it with you guys :P

Wasnt' sure whether it should go in OG, AC or OTL so I just put it here, where I reckoned it will get the most attention ;)

Spoiler!

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

Post subject: Re: [Short Story] A close call for France
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:21 pm 
Elite Member

I haven't read it yet. But before I do, could you please let me know if I'll be able to get anything out of the story if I have never played the game?

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:36 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I tried explaining everything as clear and accessible as possible. Assuming you know civilization is a turn-based strategy game, I think you should understand the gist of it without a problem. It wasn't originally intended for a Civilization specific subreddit, so I knew not everybody would understand if I didn't explain some stuff first.

Perhaps the only thing I should elaborate on is how city states function in the game, though it's not very important:
City states are small computer controlled cities, which don't represent a playable civilization. Instead they simply exist for the players or AI's to befriend or raid and get something out of. They are essentially the NPC's of the game. A befriended City State may for instance gift you military units periodically. On top of that they also share their resources with you, so having a lot of them as friends quickly makes you very rich.

Oh and Social Policies, this one is a little more important:
As you collect culture points once in a while you're allowed to pick out a Social Policy. They're essentially a bunch of passive bonuses separated in trees like 'Liberty', 'Piety', 'Honor', etc. They give you stuff like +25% production while making military units or +X income for every market/bank you own, etc. In my story I use one such policy to decrease the cost of my unit maintenance and receive 6 free units. (interestingly I can't seem to find online what policy it was exactly D: it seems all the wikia's are outdated...)

If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to explain.

If you're having trouble imagining what it looks like I think looking at a few minutes of this should give you an idea of the game:

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:47 pm 
Addicted Member

ltsune wrote:
I haven't read it yet. But before I do, could you please let me know if I'll be able to get anything out of the story if I have never played the game?

I haven't played it either but it was easily understandable.
I related it to 'Total war' a little which made it make more sense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 am 
Elite Member

Finally took the time to read through it all. No regrets!

In fact, this was most likely the best games-related story I've read in a long time. Please post more of this stuff here, if you plan on writing more.

You really made me want to play the game too.

Oh, and by the way, this was my favorite part:
Quote:
"I discovered that in order to actually be eligible for the achievement I had to have turned on 'One City Challenge' in the advanced settings during the creation of the game (╯ಠ益ಠ)╯彡┻━┻"

:sohappy:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:56 am 
Elite Member

ltsune wrote:
Finally took the time to read through it all. No regrets!

In fact, this was most likely the best games-related story I've read in a long time. Please post more of this stuff here, if you plan on writing more.

You really made me want to play the game too.

Oh, and by the way, this was my favorite part:
Quote:
"I discovered that in order to actually be eligible for the achievement I had to have turned on 'One City Challenge' in the advanced settings during the creation of the game (╯ಠ益ಠ)╯彡┻━┻"

:sohappy:

it gets even worse...
One of the comments on reddit was this:

I completely farked myself over Q__Q

If I feel inspired I wouldn't mind writing another one. Thing is, Civilization games take an excruciatingly long time to finish D:. This entire games spanned a total playtime of 23:51 hours. Usually after finishing one game I won't be touching it for a few months again. With that said, this was easily the best Civilization experience I've had so far, and I think a lot of it is due to my first time playing on 'Prince' difficulty. For a game that is a slow as it is, it was strangely adrenaline inducing all through-out and I feel like I could probably jump into another game pretty quickly. Hearing OST's like Ellipse play ingame for the first time also helped tremendously. I almost thought the game was bugged until now, but it's fun realizing that the real reason you hadn't heard it before is because there had simply never really been a war before :D

I'm also curious what Civ: Beyond Earth is like. Initial reception wasn't amazing, with a lot of claims that it felt like a reskinned Civ V, but firaxis admitted their mistake and they had been afraid to deviate enough. There's a new expansion coming soon, Rising Tide, which maybe could shake up the game a little. Kinda like how the 'Gods and Kings' DLC did for Civ V. Civ V wasn't as well-received before that either...

Anyway, I can see myself buying the game during a sale...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:37 pm 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
it gets even worse...
One of the comments on reddit was this:

I completely farked myself over Q__Q

This just gets better and better, haha. I can't imagine the feeling you'd sit with, reading that comment though :palm:

And wow, nearly 24 hours to finish one game? That's a long time. Over how many days did you play on that one game?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:50 pm 
Elite Member

ltsune wrote:
This just gets better and better, haha. I can't imagine the feeling you'd sit with, reading that comment though :palm:

And wow, nearly 24 hours to finish one game? That's a long time. Over how many days did you play on that one game?

24 was what the game counted, I guess I did leave the game running a for 3~4 hours unattended though. Other than that the game also runs kind of terribly for me. as it goes on, turns can take a long time to complete for the AI's, especially if diplomatic offers appear. I'll try playing the game on dx9 next time, instead of dx11. Maybe it'll run better. I am playing on a nearly 6 year old PC at this point :[. If not for those factors I can imagine the playtime being 30~40% shorter... But it'll still be a lot. Civ games just take long.

I played the game over a period of 4 or so days iirc.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -