Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Activision Blizzard paid $5.9 Billion for King (Candy Crush)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:09 pm 
Elite Member

So, this is pretty crazy.

Activision Blizzard just announced that they have acquired the mobile games studio King. You know, the makers of Candy Crush. Why - I don't get.
Well, King has 500 million monthly active users, so I guess it makes sense.

But kinda odd for a hardcore PC / Console publisher to go into mobile like this. What a hefty price to pay :shock:

Quote:
“The combined revenues and profits solidify our position as the largest, most profitable standalone company in interactive entertainment. With a combined global network of more than half a billion monthly active users, our potential to reach audiences around the world on the device of their choosing enables us to deliver great games to even bigger audiences than ever before.”, Activision Blizzard CEO, Bobby Kotick said in a press release.

Full story:
http://nordicgamebits.com/2015/11/03/ki ... -blizzard/

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

Post subject: Re: Activision Blizzard paid $5.9 Billion for King (Candy Crush)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:30 pm 

That's pretty interesting.... All that funds earned from the WOW loyalist over the years (and other sources) going to expand Blizzard's player base and bring in more funds....I'm amazed at the amount of money earned by these gaming corporations....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:46 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
BuDo wrote:
That's pretty interesting.... All that funds earned from the WOW loyalist over the years (and other sources) going to expand Blizzard's player base and bring in more funds....I'm amazed at the amount of money earned by these gaming corporations....

To my knowledge it's mostly Activision owning blizzard though, not the other way around. So this doesn't really change much for Blizzard... probably.
It's unknown what the deal exact is between those 2 though. Blizzard seems to just be doing it's own thing like usual, but sometimes you gotta wonder how long that's going to continue.

I always fear companies jumping ship for the mobile market (or being forced to by a mother company). Especially considering Hearthstone's success...

Look at what happened to konami...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:28 pm 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
BuDo wrote:

To my knowledge it's mostly Activision owning blizzard though, not the other way around. So this doesn't really change much for Blizzard... probably.
It's unknown what the deal exact is between those 2 though. Blizzard seems to just be doing it's own thing like usual, but sometimes you gotta wonder how long that's going to continue.

I always fear companies jumping ship for the mobile market (or being forced to by a mother company). Especially considering Hearthstone's success...

I get why you are worried, but in this case, I think we can safely assume that Activision won't stop focusing on PC and consoles.

My guess is that they bought King because King has the target audience that Activision can't capture on their own: 18-40 year old women!

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:31 am 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
BuDo wrote:

I don't see any major western publishers switching to pachinko machines any time soon so it's all good. :sohappy: