Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: A possible major forum change suggestion.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:38 am 

Wise words from the boss indeed.
Also agree on not banning all members. But we can probably apply some kind of filter to the list... Or check the ban reasons one by one :giveup:

Ryoko wrote:
You could start with an experiment. Top third of the page SRO. Second third another MMORPG or some game you feel you can draw community from. Last third your general forums and off topic. You'd need to find another MMO sort of game that you guys can support and play. Something that won't die in a year or be replaced by its fifth sequal

I really like this idea. As opposed to a big-bang type of change, we ease our way into it.
The thing I'm mostly in doubt of is how we are going to promote our forum once we've implemented the changes we have in mind, where we're going to find new members. I'm willing to check with old friends who used to be on SRF (if they still use their e-mail addresses lol). But I'm no expert in community building for a site with legacy such as SRF.

Ryoko wrote:
Note that if this site became as active as it was in 2011, things like.. moving to powerful servers and money come into play again. As far as I understand, no one has said anything over the years because you guys don't use a lot of bandwidth. But as just users, concern yourself not with that. Again, I haven't heard from Ghan (or TheHelper) in a very long time so I don't know whats goin on

I like to believe that all of our still active members would not mind donating a small amount of cash in order to keep things running. If I understand you correctly, you, Ghan_04 and TheHelper are currently paying the costs for hosting.. That doesn't sound right if it's all of us posting on here.

Also, my home IP got permabanned last night for posting unwanted content lol. What's up with that :sohappy:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:57 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

cin wrote:
Wise words from the boss indeed.
Also agree on not banning all members. But we can probably apply some kind of filter to the list... Or check the ban reasons one by one :giveup:

Ryoko wrote:
You could start with an experiment. Top third of the page SRO. Second third another MMORPG or some game you feel you can draw community from. Last third your general forums and off topic. You'd need to find another MMO sort of game that you guys can support and play. Something that won't die in a year or be replaced by its fifth sequal

I really like this idea. As opposed to a big-bang type of change, we ease our way into it.
The thing I'm mostly in doubt of is how we are going to promote our forum once we've implemented the changes we have in mind, where we're going to find new members. I'm willing to check with old friends who used to be on SRF (if they still use their e-mail addresses lol). But I'm no expert in community building for a site with legacy such as SRF.

Ryoko wrote:
Note that if this site became as active as it was in 2011, things like.. moving to powerful servers and money come into play again. As far as I understand, no one has said anything over the years because you guys don't use a lot of bandwidth. But as just users, concern yourself not with that. Again, I haven't heard from Ghan (or TheHelper) in a very long time so I don't know whats goin on

I like to believe that all of our still active members would not mind donating a small amount of cash in order to keep things running. If I understand you correctly, you, Ghan_04 and TheHelper are currently paying the costs for hosting.. That doesn't sound right if it's all of us posting on here.

Also, my home IP got permabanned last night for posting unwanted content lol. What's up with that :sohappy:

Could you PM me that IP?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:24 am 
Common Member

╮(・へ・)╭

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:14 am 

dom wrote:
Could you PM me that IP?

Thanks mate but the IP seems to have been magically unbanned last night!

SRF works in mysterious ways......:sohappy:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:26 pm 
Forum Legend

We should "pay".. through contributing content. lulz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:48 am 
Dom's Slut

poehalcho wrote:
Honestly, I'm already overjoyed with the pseudo-revival we see just based around all these revival threads. Suddenly all the oldboys crawling out from w/e they were hiding. It's definitely not back to it's prime yet, but it's 10x more active than it's been in the last 2-3 years D:

Did somebody say O L D B O Y E? :sohappy:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 pm 
Addicted Member

We could get a discord up and running for some giggles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 am 

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:27 am 
Common Member

People are saying yes to discord but it isn't happening. Why?

https://discordapp.com/

I won't use it, I can't fix my sound settings and haven't been able to for years.

Last edited by ClownPiece on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:11 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sacchiel wrote:
People are saying yes to discord but it isn't happening. Why?

https://discordapp.com/

I won't use it, I can't fix my sound settings and haven't been able to for years.

Fear. Starting Discord seems like the beginning of the end for the forum. It'll be livelier than SRF initially, but it will also probably die down over time. We don't have a means of recruiting either. SRO is old, hardly attracts new people. if our forum dies out, who's gonna join a discord for a dead forum.
Still, it's not like SRF itself is in a fantastic state either... Maybe it's the best way to move forward after all.
We could try and come up with some rules to will promote continued forum usage.

Also, Discord isn't like Teamspeak and Ventrillo. You won't by any means be forced to use voice, and I don't think the majority of us will either. It's a chat client first and foremost.

As for your sound settings, I don't know what your issue is but for me discord screwed with my other programs. Make sure discord isn't decreasing the sound levels of other sources of sounds. In other words make sure 'attenuation' is dead dead dead, because it's a buggy piece of crap. And to reset all the sound levels properly, you're going to have to max out all the sliders in the windows volume mixer and then take down the master/device level down to what your normal is. For some reason windows doesn't properly reset the scaling (and also doesn't come with a reset button for some reason :banghead: )

I will prepare an SRF server for discord. If you all agree, we can begin using it at a moment's notice.

Maybe we are just over-thinking this whole thing and we should just try it out.
We've had teamspeak and vent servers before with Gaige, and those didn't last all that long. Who's to even say this one will last at all.

edit: Server preparations are all done, just say the word...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

Last edited by poehalcho on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 pm 
Veteran Member

hey, big fan here

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm 
Elite Member

I'm up for a Discord.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:58 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sanktum wrote:

I'm up for a Discord.

All in favor? I'd like to hear 2-3 opinions?

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:27 pm 
Common Member

poehalcho wrote:
Sanktum wrote:

I'm up for a Discord.

All in favor? I'd like to hear 2-3 opinions?

Yeah, I forgot you don't have to have a mic but, I'd like to join and text chat. Maybe Jackal can help me fix my problem? I dunno, he's been trying for a long time now lol I don't think it would hurt much at this point. I'm for it.

magisuns wrote:
hey, big fan here

A wild noob appeared!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:35 am 
Elite Member

Well...
I got 0l3n to agree as well over steam chat. And I assume darkjackal agrees as well...
So I guess that means we're giving this a go.

I'll drop the server link tomorrow, since it's rather late. I'd like to be around when the crowd starts gathering to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Let's make this work guys. I don't want to be responsible for hitting the last nail in the coffin :cry:
When I drop the link, spread the word. The ball needs start rolling fast if this is to work out.

But if it doesn't work out, promise me you all will keep on posting here Q_Q
I have kept this place as the first tab in my browser for over 10 years straight. I don't look forward to putting an end to that anytime soon.

This feels like one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 am 
Loyal Member

poehalcho wrote:
Well...
I got 0l3n to agree as well over steam chat. And I assume darkjackal agrees as well...
So I guess that means we're giving this a go.

I'll drop the server link tomorrow, since it's rather late. I'd like to be around when the crowd starts gathering to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Let's make this work guys. I don't want to be responsible for hitting the last nail in the coffin :cry:
When I drop the link, spread the word. The ball needs start rolling fast if this is to work out.

But if it doesn't work out, promise me you all will keep on posting here Q_Q
I have kept this place as the first tab in my browser for over 10 years straight. I don't look forward to putting an end to that anytime soon.

This feels like one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.

I promise to continue lurking and randomly posting. Just for you :love:

This website is still one of the sites I visit at least once a week. Would be a shame for this to go the way of Tavern.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:39 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Discord is the only program that I actually use so I'm in favour of this. I think at this point, increasing the size of our community seems unlikely, however Discord might bring us all closer together :)

P.S. I get drunk a lot and force people to listen to me sing Taylor Swift. You have been warned.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 am 
Common Member

poehalcho wrote:
Well...

Jackal is lazy but he goes where I go =D You will make the discord it's own post right? Don't be discouraged \o/

I just realized I don't even have a headset :palm:

Crowley wrote:
P.S. I get drunk a lot and force people to listen to me sing Taylor Swift. You have been warned.

That's ok, I bet you have an adorable accent~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sacchiel wrote:
That's ok, I bet you have an adorable accent~

:oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:12 am 

I`m up for discord too ...

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:57 am 
Elite Member

then get in here :yay:

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:08 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

I think if anything it will complement SRF. From using it tonight I think it is a good idea but still is nice having somewhere to post something and come back to later with the same topic vs it down the long list of messages.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 am 
Ex-Staff

I like coming back once in a while and seeing what is up. I hope it continues for the foreseeable future. I am realistic that this forum will never grow or will become daily viewing. I do hope that it continues to be a place we can all visit from time to time to reconnect with people who we once spent a lot of time with in our youth. I hope that continues for many years to come.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:59 pm 
Elite Member

cpinney wrote:
I like coming back once in a while and seeing what is up. I hope it continues for the foreseeable future. I am realistic that this forum will never grow or will become daily viewing. I do hope that it continues to be a place we can all visit from time to time to reconnect with people who we once spent a lot of time with in our youth. I hope that continues for many years to come.

cpinney! Your avatar has always been my favorite :love:

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:04 am 
Advanced Member

There is a 90 cap ISRO server that is very active through JCplanet/Joymax. The server Hestia was just opened last week and the first fortress war was played over the weekend!

Quote:
Hello, this is Silkroad Online Team,

Silkroad Online is going to be with JC Planet from January 23th, 2018.
(Channeling service with Joymax).
Especially, JC Planet opens a new server, “Hestia”, in Europe.

Opening Time :
- Tuesday, January 23th, 2018.
- Standard Time (GMT+9) : 15:00

[Exclusive Benefits for JC Members]

1. When you join JC Planet and make character in Silkroad Online with the account, you will receive great benefits.

- 1st ~ 9th grade +5 weapon of “Seal of Sun”
- 100,000 Skill Point
- Mileage System : 5% of item price as M-Coin(Mileage) whenever you buy items.
“You can buy cash items from M-Coin Shop with the M-Coin.”

2. Exclusive Event Rewards for JC Members
- Event (Double Up M-Coin Event)
You will receive 5% M-Coin additionally when you but items. You will receive total 10% of item price as M-Coin when you buy the item.
- Period : Jan 23th, 2018(After maintenance) - Feb 27th, 2018 (Before maintenance) (for 4 weeks)

1. Max Level
- Max level is Lv.90 in the beginning. (China and Europe will be opened at the same time)

2. Fatigue System
★ Fatigue system in order to make better game conditions and prevent Bot.

★ Detail of Fatigue System

[New Server]
- Basic : By 5hours accumulated play time in a day (No Penalty) -> 5~8hours accumulated play time in a day (50% of Exp. Penalties in Quest & Acquisition)
-> After 8hours accumulated play time in a day (0% of EXP. No Quest & Acquisition) -> Kick out after 10 minutes
- VIP and above : By 5hours accumulated play time in a day (No Penalty) -> 5~8hours accumulated play time in a day (50% of Exp. Penalties in Quest & Acquisition)
->After 8hours accumulated play time in a day (0% of EXP. No Quest & Acquisition) -> Kick out (X)
※ Fatigue will be counted when you log in and the accumulated play time will be reset on every 00:00.
※ Fatigue is applied to account base.(Not character base). If you play in many servers with same account, accumulated play time will be calculated into the account.
※ But when you play in original servers and new server, fatigue system will be applied by rule of server policy (Original server and new server).

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:23 pm 
Elite Member

My Queen? Where are you? We are lost...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -