Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: A possible major forum change suggestion.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:14 am 
Common Member

So prior to reading IceCrash's topic - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=136270

I put some thought into it, here's what I came up with, however it would require some work put into it. (I've always made forums for my clan growing up, spent hours, days, pride, etc. Of course the shits NEVER used them ever because they were lazy and we always had mirc.) Either way, it's merely a suggestion.

If the forum is dieing then maybe Silkroad should no longer be the focus of it. It IS a dead game (to me anyway). Why not make the forum for all games in general, even private servers? (My kingdom for a Requiem PS). We'd get an influx of newcomers I'm sure and maybe some oldies too (Especially if we unban people). I could change the sites graphics a few times so games would rotate instead of be the same Silkroad graphic. Would probably need a different name. I've been drawing and editing again soooo...those skills came back. Forgot a bit of general html coding however..

Just an offer/suggestion, if it's of any interest.

I made 2 examples:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited by ClownPiece on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A possible major forum change suggestion.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:51 pm 
Elite Member

SRF turning into a general gaming forum sounds like it could be pretty sweet.

I suggest "Jackal & friends Gaming community"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:01 pm 
Elite Member

DarkJackal wrote:
SRF turning into a general gaming forum sounds like it could be pretty sweet.

I suggest "Jackal & friends Gaming community"

+1 for Jackal & friends Gaming community :sohappy:

But yeah, I actually don't hate the idea of this.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:20 pm 
Forum Legend

That moment where you spend over a decade posting on an online forum and some oldie still doesn't get your name right XD PS: IceCrush sounds cool too, i should consider it 8)

I think this is our way to go, i've also done quite a lot of forums for clans and the only thing i'd be fearful of is.. how would srf be passed on to us?

Ryoko would give it to us and we'd change its domain? Then unban/send a massive email to everyone? Would we be like Elite Pvpers but wouldn't that be too much? If we can't get this from Ryoko, would we start one of our own? Just some questions that quickly pop into my mind.

As for the name, i do love you Jackal and your name, even though my opinion would be inclined into paying homage to our homeland SRF & Friends, Gaming Community. Or maybe even Silkroad & Friends, Gaming Community, and apply the real Silk Road theme to it, let us be a real clan called Silkroad or SilkRoad, once again, spitballin'.

One thing i'd know for sure, i'd really like to do this with you guys, we might have our differences obviously but i nurture a special care for you all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 pm 
Common Member

Glad you guys don't hate the suggestion so far.

I think having bots and cheats is a big NO, I personally would not want this. I know private servers are kinda illegal but that's different, to me anyway. I wouldn't want to be anything like Elite PvPers. All of this is a bit overwhelming for just a suggestion and now after reading the comments, there's so much more to think about. Regardless I'm willing to help if it ever comes to be.

Ugh, I was so tired, I'm sorry for the name typo IceCrash =(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:21 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gaming forums are dead.

People would rather subscribe to a subreddit and join a discord.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:33 am 
Common Member

dom wrote:
Gaming forums are dead.

Yeah, you're probably right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
dom wrote:
Gaming forums are dead.

Mmmhhh ima argue that forums and reddit have some different appeal tbh. There's something more personal about forums. Names stick, everyone has avatars and signatures. It just becomes a much more tight-knit community. Reddit is broad, threads don't stick... ever. It's just convenient place to collectively shitpost and get word out to a larger amount of people.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

poehalcho wrote:
dom wrote:
Gaming forums are dead.

Mmmhhh ima argue that forums and reddit have some different appeal tbh. There's something more personal about forums. Names stick, everyone has avatars and signatures. It just becomes a much more tight-knit community. Reddit is broad, threads don't stick... ever. It's just convenient place to collectively shitpost and get word out to a larger amount of people.

Hence discord.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
dom wrote:
poehalcho wrote:
dom wrote:
Gaming forums are dead.

Hence discord.

Ah yeah... somehow read over the discord part :oops:
Yup, discord's pretty good. Thing is though, it's not really an open community environment. Discord servers aren't out in the open to be found just like that. In fact they're reliant on those very forums and subreddits to actually spread and get populated...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:12 am 
Forum Legend

Sacchiel wrote:
Glad you guys don't hate the suggestion so far.

I think having bots and cheats is a big NO, I personally would not want this. I know private servers are kinda illegal but that's different, to me anyway. I wouldn't want to be anything like Elite PvPers. All of this is a bit overwhelming for just a suggestion and now after reading the comments, there's so much more to think about. Regardless I'm willing to help if it ever comes to be.

Ugh, I was so tired, I'm sorry for the name typo IceCrash =(

It's all good Sacch : D

I'm on the same page as yourself on those issues, i should've specified that what i meant when i mentioned epvp was the fact they have a lot of sub-forums for different games, i totally agree we should be against bots or cheats of any kind (nowadays i pop in random psro's and still grind it out, i remember a couple days ago i met this guy who asked me why i didn't bot, i proceeded to say i wanted to actually play the game, he still could not understand lel)

@ dom and poe

those are valid points, both of them. gaming forums are dead but sub-reddits and discord servers can't escalate on their own, hmmmm... how could we fix that? the only thing that comes to mind is through playing games and reach out for people there to join our stuff wether it be forums/reddit/discord.

honestly, i think it'd be pretty big if we could find a game for us to play together, even tho i know that's unrealistic... so maybe we could choose 3, and have our own groups/clans/guilds over there? brainstorming again

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am 

Lol @ the first example Sacchin :P

I'm all for the idea of turning this forum into something that would reach a
broader audience. But it's hard to fill this forum with enough members to cover
multiple subforums related to multiple games. I believe dom is also right in that
gaming forums are more (maybe even too) oldschool.

So since we're throwing things out there...
How about uncategorizing things here, like getting rid of subforums and basically
end up with a General Chat (game-related, can be any game but then in topics rather
than in subforums), and an Off Topic Lounge (not-game-related)?

Also, I'm pretty sure every member on this forum had an IceCrush at some point <3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:01 pm 
Common Member

I agree with pretty much everything everyone's said, though I personally don't like reddit much, things get posted then are forgotten or buried forever, plus it can sometimes be 4chan's little cousin, certain sections anyway.

I'm still down for whatever if anything happens, I've been bored lately x_~ I actually found my old clan forum the other day and feel like updating it.

I have no clue what discord even is lol

No one has the biggest IceCrush then Jackal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:08 pm 
Elite Member

I like reddit but it aint the same. I've only barely ever even heard of discord.

If more members come with more games, other sections can just be added as needed. Anytime we play a game we could clan up and advertise our community.

There's only so many options, a couple of which are try or wait till its taken down or no one comes anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:05 pm 
Common Member

DarkJackal wrote:
If more members come with more games, other sections can just be added as needed. Anytime we play a game we could clan up and advertise our community.

There's only so many options, a couple of which are try or wait till its taken down or no one comes anymore.

Or we could clean up some sections, compile them so it's not so Silkroad related. Also some sections are outdated (to me), like the exposed botters section is probably unneeded at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:06 am 
Elite Member

Sacchiel wrote:
DarkJackal wrote:

Or we could clean up some sections, compile them so it's not so Silkroad related. Also some sections are outdated (to me), like the exposed botters section is probably unneeded at this point.

The exposed botters section was unneeded the moment it came into existence. It very likely single handedly killed SRF, which is an impressive feat. The people(s) who thought that was a good idea hold a very special place in my heart.
/rant

As much as I'd enjoy having this place be more active again I have a hard time seeing how to actually manage that without somehow piggybacking off of some big new game release. The issue is that we'd need unique content because why else would people join us rather than go to some larger community which has all the answers they're looking for.

But hey, I certainly wouldn't be against change. The only thing that might be difficult would be changing the domain name. I think that may close the door on bringing back old members. At least I have a feeling it will.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 pm 
Common Member

I'd be sad if srf was gone. I'm at a loss really (ఠ్ఠ ˓̭ ఠ్ఠ)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:39 pm 
Elite Member

As Ice said, we could always just be called Silkroad still, and just not have to be about the game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 am 
Common Member

DarkJackal wrote:
As Ice said, we could always just be called Silkroad still, and just not have to be about the game.

Then we'd be an illegal drug site.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:51 am 
Forum Legend

we could be all about illegal fun, not as illegal per say but illegal as in we have too much fun wich should not be legal at all!

totally legit Silkroad Gaming Clan, just ask blackfox *rollseyes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm 
Valued Member

Gods I've missed this place. No matter how you put it, there's no way we could restore SRF to its former glory. People have grown up (I know I have), moved on (reddit, discord, voat, w/e). I'd love an attempt to pull a Frankenstein, but I'm afraid it just won't work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 pm 
Elite Member

Honestly, I'm already overjoyed with the pseudo-revival we see just based around all these revival threads. Suddenly all the oldboys crawling out from w/e they were hiding. It's definitely not back to it's prime yet, but it's 10x more active than it's been in the last 2-3 years D:

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:02 pm 
Common Member

poehalcho wrote:
Honestly, I'm already overjoyed with the pseudo-revival we see just based around all these revival threads. Suddenly all the oldboys crawling out from w/e they were hiding. It's definitely not back to it's prime yet, but it's 10x more active than it's been in the last 2-3 years D:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:04 pm 
Elite Member

Sacchiel wrote:
poehalcho wrote:

Remind me what this is from... It looks super familiar but I don't think I've watched it...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:47 pm 
Common Member

poehalcho wrote:
Sacchiel wrote:
poehalcho wrote:

Remind me what this is from... It looks super familiar but I don't think I've watched it...

Black Rock Shooter TV Animation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:06 pm 
Elite Member

This reminds me btw. SRF does have a steam group...
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/silkroadforums/members

It's not too many people, but maybe there's a few that would be interested in an SRF revival ¯\_(._.)_/¯
Idk if it's possible to broadcast a message or something...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:20 pm 
Common Member

poehalcho wrote:
This reminds me btw. SRF does have a steam group...
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/silkroadforums/members

It's not too many people, but maybe there's a few that would be interested in an SRF revival ¯\_(._.)_/¯
Idk if it's possible to broadcast a message or something...

Hm, I'll join, if my computer wasn't such ass I could host game servers like Don't Starve together. Jackal and I have almost 200 hours in it. Other then that I can't really play games on my 7 year old comp .-.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 pm 
Site Owner

Late to the party....

My sentiments align with Dom and Scarth. This is in fact "silkroadforums.com" and it was built on a passionately loved and pretty popular game thats now 13 years old. That game is more or less... dead.

You can change up the forums, merge or add sections. You can cut it some new graphics. But at the end of the day, silkroad online remains dead and I don't think that's going to start drawing droves of new sign ups.

I agree the war on bots was the most tragic thing to happen to SRF. I have always stood adamant on two points

1. Banning half your users goes against everything an administrator wants: active users, posts and more sign ups.

2. We are not the Silkroad police, we are not rule enforcers and we have no control over what happens in the game.

What makes a sucessful forum?

Active users
New content being created
Community
Filling a niche and creating a draw
Good formatting and SEO practices

If that community destroys itself over bots, and bans half its active users, its forum Seppuku

But the fault is not solely on our community. I feel joymax did not help us in that regard -, did not resolve the situation and didn't back the legit players. Choices then were difficult. We had arguments and accusations breaking out in every other section of the forum. The community was pushed to its breaking point and something had to be done. If you remember, the acting administration back then was also being accused of harboring and protecting the cheaters for doing nothing.

I realize I haven't done you many favors over the years either. I quit the game long ago. I was then blocked from the forum at the office, where I spend most of my time. I'm focused on my career, now married and I inherited a teenager through tragedy and circumstance. On top of our (three) jobs we are also landlords. The extent of my gaming is limited to Simcity Buildit. The last time I turned on this computer was February o.o

Ghan has graciously been keeping the lights on for you guys. I haven't heard from Ghan in some time though.

Now as far as the suggestions

-Yes, feel free to unban people as you see fit. Cin, I would sway against blindly unbanning -ALL- users as you will open the flood gates of spam bot sites and users that were banned for very, very good reasons. Not everyone was removed for botting or insubordination.

-You are free to combine, split or rearrange as you please.

-I will appoint another Admin, as you will need one to make such changes. The upside here is that mods who've been around 10+ years are older and wiser (LOL ha ha)

-In regard to revamp or forum update, know that most of SRF's pages are custom code. Thats why PHPBB isn't updated often. Someone has to sit and recode or patch each and every skin from its default. Its a mega hassle and a lot of work. In addition, all that work doesn't draw new people to silkroadonline so its value is questionable.

-No, I would not rename the site to something else. First the URL doesn't work. Second if you change the URL, you're basically booting a brand new forum. You will lose all your SEO, all of your backlinks, all of your content that google has crawled and of course none of your formatting would make sense. If your thinking about just making a general gaming forum built on the content here, (EG, a massive silkroad section and the addition of other games) thats not a terrible idea but your pitting yourself against Curse, Reddit and other gaming sites that already have the monopoly on most modern games.

What I like about this suggestion is its the one thing I've heard that actually has the power to change the situation. But its also a huge gamble. Realize why your still slightly alive. This is the premier resource on ONE game. Its the authority on silkroad online. If you make a general gaming forum, you're giving that up. You'd be another general gaming site among millions of general gaming sites

You could start with an experiement. Top third of the page SRO. Second third another MMORPG or some game you feel you can draw community from. Last third your general forums and off topic. You'd need to find another MMO sort of game that you guys can support and play. Something that won't die in a year or be replaced by its fifth sequal

Note that if this site became as active as it was in 2011, things like.. moving to powerful servers and money come into play again. As far as I understand, no one has said anything over the years because you guys don't use a lot of bandwidth. But as just users, concern yourself not with that. Again, I haven't heard from Ghan (or TheHelper) in a very long time so I don't know whats goin on

PS - Miss you guys. Miss that game. Miss playing with my brother. Ah, nostalgia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:27 pm 
Forum God

wise words, its strange how much many of us have grown in the time since this forum was new. i remember what it was like in the early days i used to bum off suddendeath and you ryoko as i thought you were really cool as a kid. Now this forum is kind of sad been so dead but nostalgic, the love i once had for the game is what keeps me coming here.

I am happy to lend a hand but i wont throw my name in for admin as right now i'm working hard in my final year of a computer science degree. I am just happy to throw ideas and i can proof read some code too that level of help is easily done.

Though sadly part of me does feel the forum should be left to die, the trend of forums is dying, with discord, facebook groups etc all been more common place. While sad if the plug got pulled i don't think i can see it affecting anything major anymore. That is given the site it's self does not generate revenue for you in which case keep it going.

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:40 am 
Forum God

I skimmed. But uh, I wouldn't mind joining a SRF discord for memes. At least that way, we have another way to stay in touch.

<3