Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hey SRF, A Quick Update
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:27 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Hi SRF! This is Shael.

Been feeling nostalgic lately and thought about this place off and on over the last ~7 or so years. Kind of nuts that everything is so different yet so the same.

Anyways, I wanted to stop in and write an update of my life for you guys.

I'm 28 years old now, and since being perhaps banned for botting lol what , have graduated college, entered the work force, been in a loving long term relationship, got our first kitten, cars, had our first vacations abroad AND domestically together, watched friends get married, have kids, got a puppy, got engaged and recently, bought our first home in the suburbs - with another new kitten, of course. It's been a wild ride full of overwhelming joy, bouts of sadness and tough times for sure, but it's all been worth it. Had a big boy job at 2 of the "Big American Tech Companies" and now I'm doing some fascinating stuff in Cybersecurity elsewhere. Crazy.

Let's be real- in 2019, this game is complete sh*t. Garbage fire. A relic of its time from the early 2000's. However, I attribute a lot of my career and job success to spending so much time on ISRO, CSRO and JSRO towards the end. I obsessed over botting, modding and controlling the mechanics of the game to my liking. Delved into the world of packet stream manipulation and replication, database exploits and client side "attacks", not for the challenge of "Winning" SRO (you don't win SRO), but instead to overcome and understand the technology better.

This led me into taking those practical skills and experiences into the real world. I was doing Helpdesk Monkey work in 2011, while quickly learning that theres more out there to accomplish. The foundational skills and script-kiddie hackery set me up to go into Network Engineering and now Cybersecurity Leadership. I knew my shit and was entering a workforce that was decimated by the Great Recession, and where most people genuinely had 0 interest in technology outside of their day job - that was my in, and I played to that advantage aggressively.

But, I also learned confidence from you people. How to argue, teamwork, lose gracefully (sometimes) and win. How to lead a party, and a guild. How to manage conflict in general and how to think strategically and gracefully. I know it sounds a bit much, but I attribute so much of who I became during my formative years from HS and early college to not just this game, but this community here and within Xian, Odin, Venus and so much more.

Like many of you, I was young and this place, this game, was my escape. At times I felt and was, in my real life, isolated, alone, bullied, harassed and outcasted. Here, I had a purpose, friends, fun, memories. To this day I hear the soundtrack from the Ice and its meaningful. Looking back with 20/20 vision, compared to many of my peers who turned to violence, drugs, or who simply gave up on themselves and their schooling.... I am glad to have been here. Truly. It's nuts that a random Guild member in 2009 took the moment to mentor me in something called "Cisco Administration and Microsoft Server", and its even more nuts that I latched on and embraced it fully.

Anyways, this is getting a bit long. Some more fun updates:

My family and I were essentially re-united, after years apart in different countries, in the USA, after I left SRO. It was great to have my siblings back; they all played SRO, too, and some were even on this forum. In face this game is one of the few moments in time we could all be together; I didn't realize it at the time, but now I appreciate having that.

I like the gym. A lot. I've been doing my best to do things such as lifting weights, keeping up on my cardio and managing my diet and body weight. It's really awesome and I love that feeling after a good, hard workout (thats what she said).

I met the love of my life and we're getting MARRIED. And then... BABIES. And then... A JEEP (?). Really happy about that.

Switched over from the PC world to the Apple one with no regrets. I can't help that my phone and laptop are entirely superior in every functional, meaningful way, shape and form.

And finally,

Special call out to my first guild PlayM8's and Sandman + crew. Burningwolf, NoHunta, izmeister, saad and his bro, Berto, Riptide, RhetoricOwns, Oriya, Eric, Ger, Tasdik, (I KNOW YOU'RE AROUND, I love you bitch), and for countless others whos names I can't quite recall... who played with me from 2007 through ~2010-11 ish.

Made it this far down?

10K PLYS. ... ;) .... No, for real, do you know what a new roof costs???

Cheers,

~Shael

Last edited by Shael_Revived on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hey SRF, A Quick Update
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:04 am 

Always nice to get an update from an old member/player.
And great to hear that you were able to put your SRO experiences to good practical use.
I'm sure you're not the only one :)

We also have an SRF discord server (https://discord.gg/b5aCWtY)
Feel free to join it any time!

What was your original account on Silkroadforums, if I may ask?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm 
Elite Member

What a great read, thanks for writing and sharing this :)

Excited to read how well everything worked out for you. It took a while for me to come to terms with moving on from Silkroad, but I too am really happy about the experiences I had in this game and with this SRF community. Just like you said, those times and experiences really formed who I am today.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

cin wrote:
And great to hear that you were able to put your SRO experiences to good practical use.

SnowShael and andrejat , it's unbearably cringe worthy to look through my old posts. However, it's amazing that this place has captured the essence and a real snapshot of who I was and how I was growing up over those years. Between those 2 accounts is years of forum posting and thread starting activity and puberty all in one (I was a late bloomer, and unfortunately for those of you here, my maturity level is almost the same!).

I secretly love that I can read my old ramblings, rants and awful attempts at humor. Honestly, it's like a look into a past I completely forgot about until now.

#Odin4Life ! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:31 am 

Shael_Revived wrote:
cin wrote:

SnowShael and andrejat , it's unbearably cringe worthy to look through my old posts. However, it's amazing that this place has captured the essence and a real snapshot of who I was and how I was growing up over those years. Between those 2 accounts is years of forum posting and thread starting activity and puberty all in one (I was a late bloomer, and unfortunately for those of you here, my maturity level is almost the same!).

I secretly love that I can read my old ramblings, rants and awful attempts at humor. Honestly, it's like a look into a past I completely forgot about until now.

#Odin4Life ! 8)

I remember your Andrejat account name. If you want access to it again, let me know.
If you are fine with this new account and are fine with reading through your old posts then that's fine too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:36 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Thanks for the offer cin, no worries, I'll keep it in the past and appreciate it from afar :)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:44 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Jesus Christ, what the hell 2020-2021

Life update I suppose

+ In the house for 2 years now
+ Same job, but better
+ Same relationship, but better
+ 2019 looked very bright, we were ready for an amazing new decade, 2020 here we came
+ Thanks Giving 2019, XMAS 2019, New Years 2020
+ New cars, finished paying of all of our debts, wife got promoted at her work
+ We were unstoppable
+ We started to do 1-3 day travel weekends for fun / as a hobby to see more places and things
+ Visited San Francisco, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Georgia and planned for NYC
+ Literally, 2 days before our trip to NYC....
+ COVID-19 lockdowns after outbreak in Kirkland, WA in USA (I live a few miles from here)
+ Death, Disease, Social Isolation, Economic Woes, Masks, Toilet Paper Hoarding
+ .. You know the rest. The heart, mind and soul were gripped in Complete Fear.
+ Partner got it, it was very bad, she was very sick, but pulled thru
+ I got it, haven't even told my family the extent of how bad it was (hospitalized, etc)
+ Lockdowns in the USA
+ US Election Season
+ Learned to live life without Stores, Movie Theaters, Mass Events, Family/Friend gathering
+ Appreciate nature a lot more, lots of new hobbies
+ Got Vaccinated, both of us!
+ After 14 months, finally saw my family in person, inside, with no masks again
+ Life is returning to normal
+ Going to see a movie this weekend

What a wild Farking ride, Silkroad family.

I appreciate life a lot more and have grown a lot from the last time I posted an update here. Hold on to those moments in between the grind and monotony of day to day life, you never know when the show will be over. I love all of you and am glad this place is still here, it has become a great place to stop by every once in awhile and reflect.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:31 pm 
Elite Member

Shael_Revived wrote:
Jesus Christ, what the hell 2020-2021

Life update I suppose

+ In the house for 2 years now
+ Same job, but better
+ Same relationship, but better
+ 2019 looked very bright, we were ready for an amazing new decade, 2020 here we came
+ Thanks Giving 2019, XMAS 2019, New Years 2020
+ New cars, finished paying of all of our debts, wife got promoted at her work
+ We were unstoppable
+ We started to do 1-3 day travel weekends for fun / as a hobby to see more places and things
+ Visited San Francisco, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Georgia and planned for NYC
+ Literally, 2 days before our trip to NYC....
+ COVID-19 lockdowns after outbreak in Kirkland, WA in USA (I live a few miles from here)
+ Death, Disease, Social Isolation, Economic Woes, Masks, Toilet Paper Hoarding
+ .. You know the rest. The heart, mind and soul were gripped in Complete Fear.
+ Partner got it, it was very bad, she was very sick, but pulled thru
+ I got it, haven't even told my family the extent of how bad it was (hospitalized, etc)
+ Lockdowns in the USA
+ US Election Season
+ Learned to live life without Stores, Movie Theaters, Mass Events, Family/Friend gathering
+ Appreciate nature a lot more, lots of new hobbies
+ Got Vaccinated, both of us!
+ After 14 months, finally saw my family in person, inside, with no masks again
+ Life is returning to normal
+ Going to see a movie this weekend

What a wild Farking ride, Silkroad family.

I appreciate life a lot more and have grown a lot from the last time I posted an update here. Hold on to those moments in between the grind and monotony of day to day life, you never know when the show will be over. I love all of you and am glad this place is still here, it has become a great place to stop by every once in awhile and reflect.

Congratulations on getting vaccinated - and both of you surviving Covid! :clap:

2020-2021 has been really weird indeed. I got sick with stress (unrelated to the lockdown "stress"). This had been coming for years - I simply worked too much. I crashed hard, and have spent a year now, trying to get back to a place where I can work. I'm up to 24 hours per week now. Now I'm just really looking forward to getting vaccinated ASAP (probably around July/August, it seems).

On the bright side, my wife and I just bought our first house. So that's exciting :) Oh, and I got a lovely cat.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:08 am 
Forum Legend

I feel like I just read a SRF botter origin story, I love this lmao. Glad you're doing well!

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even