Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thinking of buying this game
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 pm 
Forum God

How is the game now? Pretty much all of my guild mates from allods has quit apperantly due the lack of something to do. Just hear complains constantly.

Is it worth it? I just want something to spend 3-4 hours on every week when bored.

Post subject: Re: Thinking of buying this game
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 pm 

For the first.....50-60 levels or so it's a lot of fun. The story begins to drop off at that point, starts to feel more grindy and less story-y. Once you hit 80 and get geared you'll probably start to run through dungeons, maybe some WvW, map a few areas, and then get bored.

I guess the best way to explain it is yes, it can be fun, but only in moderation. You'll find yourself taking 1 month+ breaks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm 
Forum God

So I got to get them dungeon gears to be able to be good in WvW? No ty :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 pm 
Elite Member

Gear is is super easy to acquire, don't spare it a thought. In standard pvp format everyone has access to the same stuff and the pvp in this game is easily one of the best, for that alone it's worth the purchase.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:06 pm 

Yea getting exotics isn't much of a problem, you'll have a bunch of karma left over when you hit 80 (usually) that you can use at the temple vendors (appear after taking a temple, which is sometimes hard, but they should be open every couple of nights) to buy a few pieces of exotic gear. The others you can just buy from the trading post, they're less than a gold each unless you want something super special.

Other than that, rares are about 30s which is almost nothing for a minor stat loss. In the long run you'll want to get exotic though (or even ascended, when they add those).
In WvW it's less about the gear than positioning, knowing your class and knowing when to run. If you master these three things, you should have absolutely no problem :) Even in green gear (which you get from regular mobs all the time without any effort).

Guild Wars 2

Still checking SRF for the community.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 pm 

At 80 you don't have to do anything, like these two said, gear is easy, after that you're left to your own devices. Fun for a while, but gets repetitive after a while, which is when a break is a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:16 pm 
Frequent Member

Gear doesn't take as much of a factor in this game. While exotics are very helpful with a couple extra stats, you can get by completely with rares/masterwork gear. Of course exotics make things easier, but they aren't required at all. Exotics aren't hard to acquire either, though going for a specific look by using transmutation stones may cost you a bit depending on the look of the armor/weapon you want. Either way, gear doesn't matter too much, but it helps.

WvW also isn't about gear, though like in pve and dungeons, it helps. Most of the game is knowing what to do and when and isn't so much on gear.

I find it to be fun to hang out with people from my guild when we don't have stuff to do. We often run dungeons and help each other level if we don't have anything to do ourselves. It's more time-wasting I guess, but it's been fun so it's fine.

Bynaar | Image | Image | Tarnished Coast
Level 80

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:13 pm 
Loyal Member

Toast wrote:
I guess the best way to explain it is yes, it can be fun, but only in moderation. You'll find yourself taking 1 month+ breaks.

that's exactly where I'm, taking alot of breaks, but it's always fun to come back and do the wvw jumping puzzle and the daily achievement, guess I'm less interested because infensus isn't playing it anymore.

If all you want is 3-4 hours a week then this game will easily kill them for you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:58 pm 
Forum Legend

Finding a good guild can make it so much better. I've pretty much leveled 1-70 by myself but still found some fun people out there. This game is no different than GW in the sense that taking breaks actually makes sense. Pretty much the perfect game if you're a full-time student/employed as you can just drop a few hours per week and still have fun.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:26 pm 
Banned User

I heard this game has failed. True?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:58 am 
Forum Legend

Ahoy wrote:
I heard this game has failed. True?

False.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:57 am 

In certain respects, yes, it has failed. It definitely doesn't live up to the "Arena Net Manifesto" right now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am 
Banned User

It wasn't false Skyve. How do you explain that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Ahoy wrote:
It wasn't false Skyve. How do you explain that?

You posted a very general statement, it failed in regards to what aspect? If we're talking about sales, Arena Net stated they've greatly exceeded their expectations. Now whether or not the game was a success to you , that's all about what you were expecting from the game and what kind of gamer you are. I'm no crazed fanboy and I can easily point out the flaws of the game, but would I ever call this game a failure? Hell no, best MMO I've played so far.

So yes, your statement was false. How do you explain that?

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 pm 
Banned User

Skyve wrote:
So yes, your statement was false. How do you explain that?
I haven't played it, only some people who did, said it was a fail. Thats why I asked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:01 pm 

It did not in any way fail. If your friends think that maybe it wasn't the game for them. They won't find raids in GW2 or any other hardcore endgame content.

The only thing many disliked was them going back on their anti-grind philosophy with the fractals November release.

Also, a game has never "failed" unless it hasn't made back its profits. Please concretize your statement.

Guild Wars 2

Still checking SRF for the community.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:03 pm 

I'll make a list of the areas where the game "came up short", clarified now there ya go, whenever I get around to it. Gotta dig up the manifesto and what they said the game would be first.