Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need guidance
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Gonna buy this game today, it better worth it for me to go no-lifer.
But I need some guidance...

1.-Tell me a few point of why I should buy and play the game.
2.-I see a lot of partying because of the Events, what's that?
3.-In terms of leveling, how difficult it gets? Grindfest?
4.-Referring to point 2, I usually go solo but sometimes I get bored so it is easy to find parties?
5.-Does your race affects your profession?
6.-Is the Necromancer similar to Silkroad's Warlock?
7.-I'm no magic user but how's the Elementalist gameplay?
8.-To Thief/Ranger users, why should I choose this profession? (I usually pick them on any game)

Hey, $60 better be worth it so... I ask many questions :(

PS: Take in mind, my favorites classes in SRO were Warlock and Rogue/Xbow.

ImageImageImage
WE WANT [ TORCHLIGHT II], [TERA ONLINE], [BLADE&SOUL] AND... [DIABLO III].

~* Old Sigs *~
[x][x][x][x]

Post subject: Re: Need guidance
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 am 

Should start callin myself "GW2 Section Whore".

Anyway;
1. It has potential. If ANet can get their crap together they can make the game better. It isn't bad, it just needs some tweaking. You'll enjoy it
2. Dynamic events that take place in every zone, from something as small as defending a village, to killing a dragon.
3. Not really, the story won't level you the whole way, but just by doing events and the renown hearts in (most) zone, leveling is pretty easy.
4. Yeah, there isn't much point to being in a party, but you can normally start one up in whatever zone you happen to be in, bar a few that are always empty.
5. Nope
6. Eh, kind of, but not really.
7. Apparently good enough for a large number of people to use it
8. Thief is still horribly broken (much like rogue), that's why people pick it. Once the problems with it are fixed, you'll see a significant decline. Rangers don't stand out much, so people pick those because they want to play them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:22 am 
Loyal Member

1.-Tell me a few point of why I should buy and play the game.

amazing graphics
interesting storyline through spoken dialogues instead of the classic walls of text.
great support and moderation from ANet, they listen to people, they keep the game legit and clean.
you'll never feel that there's nothing to do, there's always tons of stuff to do, nothing is mandatory, you do what you like
nothing like other rpgs, a very unique game.
something to look for on the long run that will always keep you occupied "Legendary weapons"
easy to get the highest stat gear so its not a gear fight, everyone is equal and it is all about your own skill.

on the other hand the leveling system doesn't encourage teamplay, you feel like you're forced to solo
you use both hands to move around via mouse and keyboard, so while fighting your left hand will be between strafing and casting skills, which will be a pain, they say you will get used to it, but after months of playing i still see it as a pain.

2.-I see a lot of partying because of the Events, what's that?

there's no benefit from "partying in the open world but to be able to locate your friends and see their buffs/debuffs, and to target one enemy that u all attack, talk in party chat etc, but you normally teamplay with everyone not just ur party.
some of the events are group events, which vary from being hard to impossible to solo, it will show on your map when it starts, so people will go there to join the event.
the teamplay part involves giving boons(aka buffs) to the players around you, which isn't controllable, you cast it and it goes to everyone around, also reviving downed and dead palyers(downed is a state between life and death, fighting for your life!), so lets say the event is helping the pact fighters to reclaim the temple, you and everyone should keep them alive, the more aware players in the team the better ur chances to succeed, so its more about organization than tanking and healing.

3.-In terms of leveling, how difficult it gets? Grindfest?

its far from being a grindfest, everything you do gives you experience, leveling isn't repetitive at all, but like I said, you'll feel that you're wasting more time if you decide to go all the way with a friend, each one has his own story quest that he needs to finish, one of you can finish a task too fast then he will be waiting for the other to finish his task before moving, its better when soloing which is bad for an mmo, but not grindfest.

4.-Referring to point 2, I usually go solo but sometimes I get bored so it is easy to find parties?

you can co-work with players in the events which occurs everywhere, you can make a friend and party together but will be mostly a chit chat party, no real dependant buffs needed that you'll give each other, that's referring to pve
in pvp its all teamworking, but again its mostly about organization and not buffs or heals.

5.-Does your race affects your profession?

No, every race got its own starting area and starting story, you also get a few racial skills but mostly won't be used, it doesn't change anything about your profession and any race can choose any profession.

6.-Is the Necromancer similar to Silkroad's Warlock?

kind of, in silkroad warlock was the debuffer, here the necromancer is the class that's able to put the most conditions(aka debuffs) on enemies, but all classes can, it can summone so many minions to aid him, and it has "dark" style.

7.-I'm no magic user but how's the Elementalist gameplay?

its very different from other classes, every class gets 2 weapons or weapon sets to switch between, elementalists can use only one, but they switch between attunements(the four elements) instead and they are the most varied class, if you master the elementalist you can be VERY powerful, and that's not a line that applies to every class, the elementalists are ontop of the all around builds, even though you'll see alot of those who whine about how they die if they go vs 2 monsters, its not very noob friendly.

8.-To Thief/Ranger users, why should I choose this profession? (I usually pick them on any game)

I started the game as an elementalist, later switched to ranger and I totally love it, it's fun and you never feel underpowered with it, the range vs melee players is great, and it can use melee weapons too, the pets are usually ignored by enemies while they can be very deadly.
and about thieves, lets say they are the most build that people spam the forums asking to nerf because they think that thieves are too powerful, if I wasn't too lazy to reroll I'd make a thief myself.

Hey, $60 better be worth it so... I ask many questions :(

you can buy it for less money if you buy from someone, it was on sale for like a month, was 45$ with free deluxe edition upgrade, now its back to 60 and 80 for deluxe, if you care about the price difference find someone that wants to sell his copy and buy it for 20-30$..[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:24 pm 
Forum Legend

So I got my copy yesterday, and quite possibly happy... for now. Start was hard :/ Got totally lost. I got to help people with a heart mark on the map, but it wasn't that easy to kill mobs (Necromancer) Any starter tips??

ImageImageImage

~* Old Sigs *~
[x][x][x][x]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:48 pm 

Play, play some more, play a lot. You'll figure out what works as you keep going, and most classes kill super slow until you start to unlock all your skills and your traits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 pm 
Forum Legend

meh, derp. Yeah, start was hard. Once I unlocked the 7th skill slot it was smoother. Even more when I unlocked traits. I am now lvl 11 soon to be 12 and almost done with Queensdale. I thought about giving up my necro, but it's fun so far!

ImageImageImage

~* Old Sigs *~
[x][x][x][x]