Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is trading hunting thieving like from level 20-70?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:24 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Hello all,

The following 2 paragraphs introduce myself a bit, so you can skip it if you directly want to read my question.

I'm a veteran player of SRO and was amazed that a new SRO-R version has come out. I stopped SRO for 5 years now (omg, so much time has passed...) due to the bot infestation and inhuman grind, but this new version really seems to have some groundbreaking adjustments. I've already informed myself about most features, however something is still not clear to me.

What I like most in SRO is the triangular conflict. This system just beats any other MMORPGs out there. Now in my old Silkroad days I wasn't able to trade very often because max-capped players (mostly botters) 1-hit-killed whole trading parties all the time. There was no fun to this game anymore.

Therefore what I want to ask is, if it's possible to do decent trading/hunting/thieving from level 20-70? Or is it completely pointless because I'd be a "noob"? Are there some level restrictions, for example that only Thieves with a maximum of 10 levels or so above your maximum trader level may attack you? So e.g. if you are level 70 and the highest level player in the Trader group, that only Thieves from the levels 20-80 can attack you? Otherwise I guess playing is pretty pointless as I've read bots have stormed the SRO-R servers already.

I can't invest so much time in SRO anymore as back in the days, and botting is no option for me. Therefore it's highly unlikely that I'll ever grind too much after reaching Level 70 - since everyone claims the evil grind starts right after level 70, just as in ISRO.

Post subject: Re: What is trading hunting thieving like from level 20-70?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:57 pm 
Addicted Member

I am sorry to say that the trading system that you know got completely changed into a new (trashy) system.

You can always go to a Sro private server if you want the old job system and insane leveling speed, but those are only fun for 2 weeks or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:27 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Thanks a lot. On the first read it almost sounded to complicated and I just wanted to say "what kind of bullsh*** is this??", but after rereading and watching some indepth videos on youtube I finally got the clue.

The core is the same. They reduced the triangular conflict to a "dual conflict", which means "Hunters vs Thieves". Also both parties can make trades now, and each one can attack the trades of the opposing faction. This is new to me, although I just found out, that this system was introduced in 2011. This simplification makes sense, and I actually like the way consignment trades work, because you don't need to mess around with controlling your pack mule.

What I don't like so much is, that they completely removed the ability to earn money. Obviously there isn't much money to be made with selling blue/black stones or manually crafted hunter/thief items either. The items just don't offer enough value to pay a lot. And since it's only possible to make trades with your speciality goods - which are dropped by default mobs during the general levelling process - there will only be a limited amount of specialities in the game.

They obviously made this system to reduce inflation and I believe this system is very efficient. But then again, what's the point to do trades, if you gain nothing by it? The inflation in iSRO was hilarious and people were selling items for 999.999.999 $$ - which can't happen in here anymore, but it definitely isn't a solution if you just gain *nothing* at all as a reward. Can you at least sell the black stones/shining stones/crafted items back to an NPC? So that you at least earn the amount of money back which you invested in health/mana potions?

Otherwise there is just no point in trading...

Edit: and to answer my other question: they actually have something that prevents players who are 5+ levels above you to attack you - but this mode (called: "Safe Mode") only works for the (boring) Job activities and not for consignment/target trades. These latter job activities are really pointless for they are 0815 collecting-item-quests which have nothing to do with real trades. I guess no one will ever play them.

Last edited by tempest on Tue May 22, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:16 pm 

tempest wrote:
Thanks a lot. On the first read it almost sounded to complicated and I just wanted to say "what kind of bullsh*** is this??", but after rereading and watching some indepth videos on youtube I finally got the clue.

The core is the same. They reduced the triangular conflict to a "dual conflict", which means "Hunters vs Thieves". Also both parties can make trades now, and each one can attack the trades of the opposing faction. This is new to me, although I just found out, that this system was introduced in 2011. This simplification makes sense, and I actually like the way consignment trades work, because you don't need to mess around with controlling your pack mule.

What I don't like so much is, that they completely removed the ability to earn money. Obviously there isn't much money to be made with selling blue/black stones or manually crafted hunter/thief items either. The items just don't offer enough value to pay a lot. And since it's only possible to make trades with your speciality goods - which are dropped by default mobs during the general levelling process - there will only be a limited amount of specialities in the game.

They obviously made this system to reduce inflation and I believe this system is very efficient. But then again, what's the point to do trades, if you gain nothing by it? The inflation in iSRO was hilarious and people were selling items for 999.999.999 $$ - which can't happen in here anymore, but it definitely isn't a solution if you just gain *nothing* at all as a reward. Can you at least sell the black stones/shining stones/crafted items back to an NPC? So that you at least earn the amount of money back which you invested in health/mana potions?

Otherwise there is just no point in trading...

Edit: and to answer my other question: they actually have something that prevents players who are 5+ levels above you to attack you - but this mode (called: "Safe Mode") only works for the (boring) Job activities and not for consignment/target trades. These latter job activities are really pointless for they are 0815 collecting-item-quests which have nothing to do with real trades. I guess no one will ever play them.

Nice summary of the new trading system!! There is one thing i really like tho, which you completely ignored in here. Thats the ranking system. You can gain ranks by killing players and you will gain rank according to the victims Character level and rank. Which is unfortunate for all the bots grinding in my area in hunter suit :sohappy: :sohappy:
Its fun to murder the guy who is ksing you without having the "murderer status" penalty!
In sro-R i regularly find job wars expanding becouse everyone is calling their friends to join. Imo the new job system is more rewarding than the previous one (after the inflation it was useless ofcourse) I think a small gold reward would be a great boost to get the jobbing active again. Or an increase on the job equipment stats.

Anyways, i'm curious, What is your opinion on the ranking system?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:29 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

lol, what? Bots grinding in Hunter suits? That sounds indeed funny for a killing spree. But why the hell are they farming with job dresses?

Besides I agree for the most part that the reworked system sounds more playable and enjoyable than the old now. I'm still not sure how the fun factor of trading will be with people already at max-cap in SRO-R (botters I assume...). These people will surely pwn any trade with 1-hit-kills, except you have high levels in your party as well. I guess the fun factor will then between the high levels, starting from level 110+. And as I remember from experience 10 levels difference is always a 1-hit-kill, so from level 120 down to a level 70 (level 70 is my goal) it will be much worse... probably like hell... like iSRO.

Sigh... Nothing has changed in this way obviously :palm:

But maybe they haven't got too much motivation to raid all trades, because what would they gain, beside a job ranking? There is no valuable items aside from it...