Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Creating a licensed Silkroad Online server
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:43 pm 
Elite Member

Hello folks!

I do realize that this has been discussed before, but if you consider the thought of getting a license from Joymax to publish a local version of Silkroad, what do you think it would require?

You would obviously need a company and the servers to run the game from etc.
But apart from that - and obviously a couple of coders - what do you think is required. And has anyone who have tried to contact Joymax about this actually gotten any answers?

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

Post subject: Re: Creating a licensed Silkroad Online server
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 am 
Valued Member

I don't think it's worth the time and money to invest in something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:29 am 
Elite Member

Yea, that the license would probably cost a load even if they would agree to sell it, which I doubt they will.

If you already had a company, I think it would be a better idea to make an entirely new game that is actually up to date. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 pm 
Elite Member

So you guys think that the license itself will be very expensive?
I thought that they might actually give the license away very cheaply in return of a share of the revenue.
I might be wrong, though?

I do have a company already. Not a gaming-development company, though.

Personally, I believe that most people are actually quite alright with the content that Silkroad offers. They just hate Joymax, or the server management of whatever private server they're playing on.
Consider a bot-free low-rate (higher than isro) server that was official.
I can assure you that that would gather together more people than any private server can.

Now, if you can keep people there is an entirely different story.
That part comes down to the managing of the server, though.

More ideas / thoughts please!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:33 pm 
Frequent Member

I think that raising the rates is illegal, if yobuy the licence. And the licence itself is VERY expensive.

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:15 pm 
Elite Member

Bartic wrote:
I think that raising the rates is illegal, if yobuy the licence. And the licence itself is VERY expensive.

You will have to define what you believe "expensive" is, please.

I too have read somewhere that raising the rates is against Joymax's terms of use (even though I'm not completely sure about the legitimacy of the source).
That being said, there are still things that can be done to make leveling easier - just as csro did.
Csro used their own software called "Flagship" to make leveling faster, but there are many ways this can be done without violating the Terms of Use as far as I see.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:25 pm 
Frequent Member

Yeah, it can be done that way.
Expensive would be >100,000$ (don't know if per year or what). That's what I read on EPvpers.
However, I don't really think that hosting a SRO sserver would be profitable.

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:41 pm 
Elite Member

What's Flagship?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:10 am 
Elite Member

Bartic wrote:
Yeah, it can be done that way.
Expensive would be >100,000$ (don't know if per year or what). That's what I read on EPvpers.
However, I don't really think that hosting a SRO sserver would be profitable.

To me, what would make most sense is this:
They will charge a somewhat large sum of money in order for you to get the license itself.
Afterwards, they'll require xx% of your yearly revenue, but with a minimum of $xx.xxx to be paid to them no matter what your revenue has been.

Seeing as Joymax's economy is in a bad shape right now, you might actually be able to get the license and deal way cheaper than 3 or 4 years ago. Simply because they know that the game is worth less these days.
Go check out Joymax's company website and you'll see that their revenue has been going down bit by bit for the last couple of years.
Not that they're not earning any money at all - they are just earning less and less.

Nobody knows, however, if Joymax is even willing to "sell" the licenses anymore. The original creator of Joymax (and CEO) left just a month after they were partly sold to WeMade.

Sanktum wrote:
What's Flagship?

A program that once installed would give you additional exp when grinding (as far as I'm aware).
I never really used it when I played csro, as I didn't know much about it back then.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:03 pm 

/////////////

Last edited by Atibu on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:57 pm 
Elite Member

Atibu wrote:
Not only would a license be incredibly expensive, they would only license you for a certain country or region, it would be virtually impossible to get a global license, as you would directly compete with iSRO (their main source of money). About raising the rates, that would all depend on the contract you make with them. You don't even need coders for it, as joymax will never give you the source, they will just send you the compiled and patched modules, you will only need people to actually run the hardware and the game, in the end the license would cost so much, that it's just more practical to run a pserver of it, if your team is good enough you don't even need joymax help in patching the files (though I haven't seen one server who managed to patch the exploits, or even come close to it, except venture :( )

You raise several great points in your comment, thanks!

I do know that every license they give is region specific (if not country specific). It would probably still be possible to get a license to, say, a Scandinavian version of Silkroad or something like that.
The region doesn't really matter a whole lot, as everyone with the right pk2 file can translate any region-specific language to English in-game. Therefore, you won't really need a worldwide license to still get quite some players.

Are you sure that we won't need coders? Not all of the custom stuff csro had can possibly have come from Joymax?

It is obviously easier to setup and start a private server than getting a license. But just because getting a license is hard, doesn't mean it's impossible. And just because it is way more expensive than obtaining the files for a private serer and running that, doesn't mean that it will be any less profitable.
I am quite sure that a lot of players would join a server that is actually licensed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:00 pm 

////////////

Last edited by Atibu on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:58 pm 
Elite Member

Atibu wrote:
Surely, you could go for a scandinavian or even a european version of sro, I do not know if joymax will ask you to block certain regions or not, it does not seem to be the case for all silkroad versions, but some have done it (also, rSRO administration didn't seem to like non-russian players, I do not know if that's coming from joymax or if they just hate westerners).

Whether it would be profitable or not, I guess the only way you could find out is to actually contact joymax/wemade and try to get more information, I'm sure they'd actually reply if it's business related.

About the coders, all the released modules we have seen (twsro, vsro, isro, csro) all look exactly the same, so I take an educated guess and think joymax just delivers the patched modules (with the region specific changes) and the licensee just needs to run them. We got proof from the vsro servers to back this: they were running cracked mssql and people found 'update packages' (packages with updated modules, turnkey). So I'm guessing it's not that hard to actually start your own servers, whether it will be profitable in the long run (as you will probably not be allowed to have rates higher than csro, and that it is basically impossible to block bots) I could not tell; Though it's a very interesting idea and I'd certainly like to see more information about the economical viability and if the general SRO player would actually appreciate it

It would only make sense that Joymax don't want too many international players to play on a region-specific version of the game. So yes, that might be true. I don't see this as a huge turn-off though, as I'm quite sure people will always find a way to play there - region-specific or not.

And if what you said about no coders needed is true, then that's just even better, as it saves costs for my company (if we were to run a region-specific version of Silkroad).
I guess I'll contact Joymax once I get back from my vacation to hear what they have to say.

You guys have any other thoughts on this matter?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:00 am 
Valued Member

ltsune wrote:

I can assure you that that would gather together more people than any private server can.

Yes, it will be incredibly expensive.
No, you would not bring together more people on a bot free and low rate server.
My thoughts? Throw this idea away right now. :giveup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:51 am 
Forum Legend

sup mate! i think your best bet here is to investigate and try

if you would create the right conditions on a bot-free legit server, maybe some serious stuff would happen

you never know until you try tho!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 am 

Well, these are my guesses; it would cost a large amount of dough, but not unreachable, a license we're talking probably only 20-30 grand imo, I think what's more important to them is a portion of the proceeds going to them, probably about 20-30%. Also another important thing would be the company which is already mentioned here, it would have to be reputable, respectable, and already well standing in some sorts.

I'm not a professional so I could be close to right, or very wrong, and as IceCrash said, the only way to know for sure is to try.

Add: they will be weary of who they sell the rights to, and as far as changing anything, each and every change would have to go directly through them, again only my opinion/guess on the matter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:47 am 
Elite Member

Quote:
The day has come, another foreign official server of Silkroad Online closes it's gates. First was Thailand SRO, then Russian SRO, and now its Chinese Silkroad Online, also known as CSRO. Less than a year ago they upgraded their game to Silkroad-R version and few months ago they got the 125 cap update. CSRO is, together with VSRO (Vietnamese Silkroad Online), the most played foreign versions of Silkroad. It's a sad notice seeing it closing, being the first foreign pserver opening, back in 2005. According to the translation of the notice on their website, seems the publishing contract with Joymax finished and Joymax didn't want to renew it.

http://silkroadsecrets.blogspot.com/201 ... ation.html

Didn't know they had already closed BR and RSRO.

Quote:
While I was searching for more info regarding the closing of CSRO mentioned on the early post, I found some info related to a new version for the Chinese players for replace the old CSRO version, called "New Silkroad". I don't think its SRO-R since CSRO already applied that update months ago, so probably it is just another chinese publisher taking care of the chinese version. It's very confusing, even more when you are reading from a translator, I will bring some more info about it once I figure out exactly what is going on.
Anyway, while I was searching for that info I found some more cool artworks of Baghdad and the new job suits and D14 items. As you can also see on the pictures, they already show the new logo.

http://silkroadsecrets.blogspot.com/201 ... twork.html

But this is interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 pm 

@Lt. Sune.

A lot of franchises cost in the tens of millions of dollars range, I'm assuming they charge in the millions of dollars range to license it. (Yes I know its not a franchise, but judging form the fact that Joymax opted to go for regional versions managed by different companies, Joymax probably does franchise SRO out in all but name)

It would be better to make a legal copy of silk road. . .basically its silk road but with enough changes that you can legally call it different than silk road.you would still have your triangular conflict (called something else) you could probably have the same skills of different names.

Pretty much how SMITE copied League of Legends/Dota and EA is planning to do the same thing.

Franchises usually costs in the millions of dollars in upfront fees AND a high percentage of profits. It's definitely cheaper to make your own game. . .hire some good game designers, show them they kind of game that you want, have them make up some plans for you, and hire everyone else.

As for how you'd make money and avoid killing your game like roadk-. . .err Silkroad did, I wrote some ideas in another thread:

Bananaman wrote:
looks cool, it would be nice if they followed the new business model of micro transactions (league of Legends style) instead of raising the cap every 6 months until it takes 50,001 years to cap.

The could sell different looking transports, theif, hunter, and trading suits, regular avatars and skins, those giant behemoths for trading, and diffrent skins of those. . .(Imagine trading on some giant land-dragon snake thing, that would be rediculously awesome.) Peopel WILL buy stuff like that, and really all you need to do is hire the artists, to pump out new cosmetic content every two weeks, and you have yourself a business. . .if I were rich, I would do that, just make a copy of it (that has enough changes to be "legally different") and just do that. it would be amazing :)

they'd never have to raise the level cap again. the only grind would be getting enouh money to by those cosmetic items which people would sell for money. they could just take out pots entirely, and have grinding be only done on a team basis ala guild wars style. they could sell all KINDS of stuff. . .they could have it so that if you get the last level weapon set (which isn't that much powerful that the next to last set, but takes a bit of grind to get) you can customize how that looks too(from buying silk etc)

they obviously have the fan base (and they know this) they have the potential to make something really really amazing.

. . . .but then this is Joymax we're talking about here. . .

3.And discover that the first truth is a lie.
4.You're smiling now because you're an idiot.
5.You soon will forward this to another idiot.
6.There's still a stupid smile on your face.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 pm 
Elite Member

While it is true that some franchises will cost millions, I highly doubt the Silkroad franchise will cost that much. Especially when you consider that I would only be allowed to buy it for a specific region.
How can I be so sure that it won't cost millions?
Well, I can't know for sure, but by looking at Joymax's revenue from Silkroad it seems very unlikely that a license will cost that much.

I have contacted Joymax already, but I haven't received any replies yet by the way!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 pm 

ltsune wrote:
While it is true that some franchises will cost millions, I highly doubt the Silkroad franchise will cost that much. Especially when you consider that I would only be allowed to buy it for a specific region.
How can I be so sure that it won't cost millions?
Well, I can't know for sure, but by looking at Joymax's revenue from Silkroad it seems very unlikely that a license will cost that much.

I have contacted Joymax already, but I haven't received any replies yet by the way!

Well I'm not sure about the state of their game, but by the fact that only one company per region has the rights to the game. . .it probably is up there. Although I actualyl heard that they were planning on liscensing SRO 1 out anymore (proabbly due to all the p-servers out there)

My honest opinion is that you would be better off making a whole new game, using a LOT of the sro elements, and . . .makign the game actaully good haha. I made a rediculously long ass, grammar and spelling error written post in the other versions section about thise (OP is Dutchy) that explains in detail what your options really are for running a successful sro server (i.e. not many, and some that are extremely hard, or that you may not be willing to make.)

3.And discover that the first truth is a lie.
4.You're smiling now because you're an idiot.
5.You soon will forward this to another idiot.
6.There's still a stupid smile on your face.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:09 pm 
Elite Member

Well, the fact that I haven't received any reply from them yet might be a sign that they're not willing to license Silkroad 1 anymore.

Good thing Silkroad 2 is coming soon :sohappy:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:41 pm 
Frequent Member

ltsune wrote:
I thought that they might actually give the license away very cheaply in return of a share of the revenue.

Personally, I believe that most people are actually quite alright with the content that Silkroad offers. They just hate Joymax, or the server management of whatever private server they're playing on.

I agree on the part that it would bring more people rather than private server, I never wanted to try private server, never wanted to invest my time or money in something unstable.
I know bunch of people who would still play silkroad if there was no Joymax behind it, bunch of old school people who were happy with 80-90lvl cap.

ltsune wrote:
Well, the fact that I haven't received any reply from them yet might be a sign that they're not willing to license Silkroad 1 anymore.

Soon? Any reliable info when might beta start?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:01 pm 
Elite Member

_MvP_ wrote:
ltsune wrote:

I agree on the part that it would bring more people rather than private server, I never wanted to try private server, never wanted to invest my time or money in something unstable.
I know bunch of people who would still play silkroad if there was no Joymax behind it, bunch of old school people who were happy with 80-90lvl cap.

ltsune wrote:

Soon? Any reliable info when might beta start?

There has been a widespread debate regarding whether or not the game I referred to back then (this is an old thread) is actually Silkroad Online 2.
Nonetheless, I still choose to believe that it is the real deal. Currently, there is a Chinese beta of the game, and the official website is: http://www.sronew.com

I've got a blog, which covered every aspect of the closed-beta, and I'll start updating soon with information about the current state of the game. My blog might be a good way to keep in touch with what happens to the game, even though I won't update it daily: http://www.sro2forums.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 am 

well if i win the lottery anytime soon i'll buy the license for ya :p but ya i think they will have tight restrictions on what you can change in the game, although if you had a tight moderator team that took care of bots on a daily bases you would be successful i think. it would be very appealing to players from isro if they new they could find a trully legit and cared-for server and escape joymax's reign of carelessness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:27 am 
Banned User

What's Flagship?