Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Your thoughts
Good idea 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Fun idea but impractical 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Stupid/Childish idea 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Didn't read lol 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Hypothetical 30 cap
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:20 pm 

Hey SRF.
30 cap? yes i said it.. 30 cap.

tldr: This text contains my motivation plus ideas in my fantasy of a 30 cap server.

This topic will be me rambling a bit about my thoughts on a 30 cap private server, i havent given it a lot of thought as you will notice, but i want to get a ball rolling to just chatter a bit about the possibilities and outcomes of such an idea.
To give some context to my story: I started playing Silkroad in December 2006 and i was 12 years old.
The reason i have returned to sro over the years is like many of you, pure nostalgia.
Hearing this track whilst walking around Jangan:

Code: Select all <Clicking is mandatory

When i decide to play again, i usually get disappointed very quickly.
This is because the early game in most pservers is fast, and the low levels don't offer me as much fun and fellow innocent noobs in the game. (What is a mastery limit? Leveling Light Cold Fire Force Bicheon Pacheon Heuksal all a little bit.) As soon as i get to the higher levels i start to lose this feeling. 80 cap is fine to me but still the low levels have something special.
High rates are annoying in this game, so is the grindiness of isro. So what DO i want?

What if there was a server, with LOWER rates than normal. (0,1xEXP 0,15xSP) Or something else i really dont know.
This server would have a 30 cap. Everything around and west of hotan removed, The bridges from the Gobi desert to Tarim basin eroded in the ravine.
You can still only start jobbing when you reach level 20. This time around it will be a lot more special, since you get a chance of actually accomplishing something. Tiger Girl is the only unique and is only attackable by players under level 20. There would be better quest rewards. (Given the rates lets say keep them the same as they were) And maybe make leveling a little bit more interesting by adding new quests and other input like in Silkroad-R.
No zerk scrolls no magic pop, or anything like that.
3rd degree would be the maximum degree. So you get it quite early as compared to the cap.
Sure there will be problems like nukers being overpowered once they reach 30, basically built to become it at the very last level. These are problems i'm not experienced enough to know a fair balance for it.
No more 100% moving speed drug, the level 30 horse will be the max speed you'll get.
Imagine the Jangan fortress being fought over with the second imbue skill and 3rd degree armor.
Also there should be an endgame related to jobbing. With different prestiges of gear on pure aesthetics. Maybe even custimizable like showing the guild logo on the jobbing suit. Jobbing itself should earn up points that you can spend to then enter a battle event, in which you can earn server ranking. Which is always up, but you have to find an opponent and you both had to either deliver or steal some goods for the right to fight.

If your Guild is doing alright in the Guild wars ranking, lets say top 5, you get designated an unused Area of the Bandit stronghold, this place for your guild can be used as a center for jobbing and get slight advantages in prices paid for goods. Lets say there are 4 tents in the bandit fortress, the top 5 guilds will get a place in the bandit fortress. The lower 4 will each get a tent with such a job NPC with a 10% advantage in price. The best guild will get the top floor of the center building of the fortress and this will get a 20% advantage in price. Each tent will have the respective guild logo displayed on it and the center building will have massive flags.

These are just some ideas i have, i know it has many holes and needs a lot, a LOT of work before it can be practically executed. Thats why i call it hypothetical and the goal of this thread is just to get some ideas out there of how it might be like, and i'm curious whether or not you guys like the idea. (Answer the poll)

Post subject: Re: Hypothetical 30 cap
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:00 pm 
Elite Member

So, I read this thread a few days ago, but I never really got down to writing a reply.

What I do like about the idea is that I, just as you, enjoy the first 30-40 levels very much. I love the music, I love the areas, I find those levels to be the ones with most progression in terms of skills etc. Great!

But with that said, I believe finding a balance between the builds will be very tough. As you also pointed out. Nukers will most likely be over powered.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:03 am 

Silkroad don't have a lot of content to begin with. So removing the lvl 40-120 areas is like removing over half the content in the game. They can keep all the content they currently got and cut back on the horrific grind and maybe allow you have all skill trees maxed if you wanted (fire/ice/light/force) but not all the skills within in each tree.

Put a cap on how many skills you can have within each tree so players will have different abilities (almost) based on their choice...And oh they should add like double the amount of skills currently in each tree...provide more variety...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:13 pm 
Elite Member

^Yeah that would require a total redesign of the skill trees.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:59 am 
Forum God

id rather 60cap tbh, keep with the original zones too, i remember anyone 50+ been epic back in the day i started playing late 2005

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:43 pm 

[SD]Master_Wong wrote:
id rather 60cap tbh, keep with the original zones too, i remember anyone 50+ been epic back in the day i started playing late 2005

I remember when that was cool (60 cap). I remember when I first started playing and would stop to watch and admire the level 50-60 archers dueling at Jangan's south gate.... I used to think that's gonna be me one day...Little did I know I'd be chasing the level 60 cap and all subsequent caps never to reach them...If knew then what I know now I wouldav bot the shit out of SRO from start to finish...

Last edited by BuDo on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:07 am 
Elite Member

I think the alpha so many years ago was 30 cap before going to beta with 50 or 60 cap. I think they released the 60 cap at the same time as item mall, I was at the edge of the lake of karakoram on spiders when I bought my tiger hat.

Anyway the alpha was fun, I was 27 I think, maybe a bit lower. Just before the server shut down to wipe for beta I was on a trade run and just as we were nearing jangan I killed a couple thieves and started murdering the Asian players that were around lol.

Can't imagine I'd wanna play 30 cap with all the content in the game now tho.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:48 am 
Forum God

The thing you all are forgetting is, that its been 10+ years since SRO first opened. So instead of it being a new and wonderous experience that a bunch of noobs run around in trying to figure stuff out, we have people like myself who have been playing for a decade.

We know what works, What doesn't. How to level the fastest, How to abuse the game for our own advantage, etc.

This isn't a casual mmorpg anymore. This is a game for hardcore try hards. Everyone else will just get shit on.

Tl;Dr:

SRO community isn't the same. Therefore nostalgic feels won't be the same, regardless of cap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:32 am 
Casual Member

This was actually done in 2013 by a friend of mine, the server had about 250-300 players or something like that.

It was fun for a while, but the fun fades away really quick due to lack of leveling honestly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:03 am 
Advanced Member

Tasdik wrote:
The thing you all are forgetting is, that its been 10+ years since SRO first opened. So instead of it being a new and wonderous experience that a bunch of noobs run around in trying to figure stuff out, we have people like myself who have been playing for a decade.

We know what works, What doesn't. How to level the fastest, How to abuse the game for our own advantage, etc.

This isn't a casual mmorpg anymore. This is a game for hardcore try hards. Everyone else will just get shit on.

Tl;Dr:

SRO community isn't the same. Therefore nostalgic feels won't be the same, regardless of cap.

QFT

I dare you to beat my brute!! http://malucodocrl.mybrute.com

Locar_ @ Azteca lvl 76 wiz (hope ur happy tasdik)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:18 am 
Forum God

60 cap is fair but 30 even with half exp i could do it very quick i can get to 30 in 2 days at normal breaking 20 in a day

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:23 am 
Banned User

Really !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:21 am 
Banned User

^Yeah that would require a total redesign of the skill trees.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:46 am 
Banned User

goooooooooood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:01 pm 
Forum God

what is with the new guys spam, non of it is constructive

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 pm 
Elite Member

[SD]Master_Wong wrote:
what is with the new guys spam, non of it is constructive

Looks like some failed generic message/copypaste spam. When I opened up GD I thought SRO was alive again for a moment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:52 am 
Advanced Member

Teddybeer wrote:
Hey SRF.
Hearing this track whilst walking around Jangan:

Code: Select all <Clicking is mandatory

Thanks a lot for posting that, I haven't heard it for ages! It gives me so much feelings of nostalgia. :yay: Listening it for the 4th time in a row now.

Tasdik wrote:

Tl;Dr:

I think this is the truth. Back in the days, when I started this game (at the beginning of Athens server) I had no idea how it worked. I didn't ever play any MMORPG, so I didn't even have a basic idea about skills. In the first 10 levels I hardly used any skills, so it was hard for me to get to level 10! I crossed the bridge to the Yeoha's and got instakilled over there. I thought 'wow those are some bad ass monsters, better not go there'. During those days I also got randomly invited in parties and one time there was some guy of level 20 in the party and I still remember talking to him for quite some time because I thought he was such a pro!

Also later on in game there were still so much things to find out. For example the scroll bar in the skills window. I was already close to level 30 when I found out that you could scroll over there. Haha I was such a noob, but I liked it a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:23 pm 
Elite Member

I got to about level 5 before I realised you could turn the camera with the right mouse button. :palm:
And I remember how my brother ran through Yeohas to the Young Tigers area at a really low level and we thought it was an achievement.
Before autopot was a thing (and even slightly after that) we used to put the entire F3 bar full of pots, 1-5 for HP and 5-10 for MP because we thought it was harder to miss in a hurry.
Oh and leveling up all the masteries was fun too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:35 pm 
Advanced Member

I remember having my half-str/half-int points blader lvl 38, with ice/fire/cold/blade/heuk/force. AND my wolf, which had just been added to the game. Good times dude, good times.

I dare you to beat my brute!! http://malucodocrl.mybrute.com

Locar_ @ Azteca lvl 76 wiz (hope ur happy tasdik)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:29 am 
Elite Member

iztupido wrote:
I remember having my half-str/half-int points blader lvl 38, with ice/fire/cold/blade/heuk/force. AND my wolf, which had just been added to the game. Good times dude, good times.

Did the same with bow as my primary weapon. Those were the days. We were weak, but shit, we had a ton of skills :sohappy:

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!