Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

How did you magnify your SRO career?
Did you earn everything yourself without the aid of purchased gold or item mall help? 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
Did you use the item mall once or twice to get over a hump? 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Did you heavily use the aid of the item mall and/or purchase gold from farmers/hackers? 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: How did you advance your SRO character? **edited**
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:21 pm 
Casual Member

**there, is that a more friendly subject line for you sensitive ones??**

Anywho, before you flame me, I'm really just curious to know who has levelled up their chars without the aid of the item mall and it's services. This also includes buying gold from gold hackers/farmers for RL cash.

If you've done the FREE route of never buying anything and just playing the game earning everything you've got, vote accordingly and explain here why.

If you'd "tried" out some item mall items to make things easier, or if you've gluttoned yourself in the item mall and purchased gold, vote accordingly and explain why.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ironchef on Wed May 31, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:23 pm 
Veteran Member

I used item mall because after 50, its pretty much neccesary. NOBODY wants to grind 14 mil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:24 pm 

I don't like the fact that you consider anyone who can afford a gold ticket, or can obtain one, must buy from gold farmers.

This thread makes me angry.

Generalising bastard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:25 pm 
Casual Member

//:Protocol wrote:
I don't like the fact that you consider anyone who can afford a gold ticket, or can obtain one, must buy from gold farmers.

This thread makes me angry.

Generalising bastard.

You lost me. I"m assuming what? How? I think you're reading into this too much. I'm curious because I may, or may not use the item mall. I"m being quisitive because I don't want to rob myself of potential game enjoyment by doing what I'd consider less than ethical..by buying experience. Maybe that's how you should have read it you generalizing bastage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:30 pm 

No, I'm not reading into this too much, anyone from your post can tell you haven't bought anything from the item mall, and you make anyone that buys a ticket look like the devil by adding gold farming, from hackers in there, care to explain why?

Did you heavily use the aid of the item mall and/or purchase gold from farmers/hackers?

And if you know what a generaliser was, you wouldnt have used it in that sentence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:30 pm 
Casual Member

That really makes no sense, IronChef never said anything remotely like that.

I've brought ItemMall items in the past, when you could buy them for actual in game gold, but never for real money. I might consider it, but rather stupidly I can't log on to silkroadonline.net because the first letter of my username is a capital letter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:31 pm 
Veteran Member

I hate gold-buying peeps. It encourages those botting gold farmers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:36 pm 
Site Owner

Elbee wrote:

Yes he did. Item mall and buying gold are in the same vote.

I use xp scroll and monkey.

I didnt buy from gold farmers.

So I cant vote either option, and refuse to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:36 pm 

Elbee wrote:

I've brought ItemMall items in the past, when you could buy them for actual in game gold, but never for real money. I might consider it, but rather stupidly I can't log on to silkroadonline.net because the first letter of my username is a capital letter.

If he considered gold buying people, and Item mall users as two differenent things, they wouldnt be in the same line, he implies it more than he says it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:39 pm 
Casual Member

No, I'm not reading into this too much, anyone from your post can tell you haven't bought anything from the item mall, and you make anyone that buys a ticket look like the devil by adding gold farming, from hackers in there, care to explain why?

Did you heavily use the aid of the item mall and/or purchase gold from farmers/hackers?

And if you know what a generaliser was, you wouldnt have used it in that sentence.

You generalized by suggesting that I consider ANYONE using the item mall as being someone who buys gold from hackers or who is cheating..which I made a retraction for in my post. Further, I added that I would even use the item mall after first deciding if it would rob my game experience or not. I think you have a guilty conscience or something!

Further, i used the "/" between farmers and hackers because they are two distinct types of people. Farmers do the more ethical version of gold sales (for RL cash usually through ebay) while the lazy professionals get hacks for games like this (and about 15 other games) and they sell hacked currency for RL cash.

So again, I'm asking if anyone has purchased gold from actual players who spend their playing time farming money in the game legally, or if you've purchased gold from hackers who don't play the game, but just have a single character, level 1, who distributes hacked gold to buyers via online purchases.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:42 pm 

I shall say Touche, and Leave the arguement, because I must use up at least 3 hrs of ticket time before my next comes on.

We may pick this up again later if you wish, but I do not really see the point, and I'm pretty sure you don't either.

GG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:42 pm 
Site Owner

Us "cheaters" who use an XP scroll and monkey are what keep this game 'free to play' for the ones who dont.

I mean, read the thread title.

How would you like it if I said YOU were a 'freeloader' or a mooch.....not pay....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:43 pm 
Casual Member

Ryoko wrote:
Elbee wrote:

So, in a non-criminalizing assumption, you have purchased something from the item mall. That is what I'm looking for...sorry for not clarifying enough for you complicated types! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:47 pm 
Casual Member

Awww geeze, how bout chilling out a little and stop being so anal.

Also, how about improving your reading comprehension...
Maybe the word "cheater" is a bit harsh, but how else do you describe the "less" fair advantage of buying extra % experience time from the item mall?

If I was reading this thread title, then opened and read the above italicized text which was in my initial post, I'd have understood the writer's intentions. I realized it was harsh to say cheating, but eluded to it being an unfair advantage. This is not saying anything of the economics of running this game. it's simply saying that while some may or may not be able to afford exp scrolls, others can and gain unfair advantage. Ok, lets just call it "added" advantage. Is that less abrasive?

Again, the point of this poll, is for my gain in knowing if i will use the item mall or not to possibly take some of that added advantage. Is that so hard to understand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:49 pm 

Ironchef wrote:
Awww geeze, how bout chilling out a little and stop being so anal.

Also, how about improving your reading comprehension...
Maybe the word "cheater" is a bit harsh, but how else do you describe the "less" fair advantage of buying extra % experience time from the item mall?

If I was reading this thread title, then opened and read the above italicized text which was in my initial post, I'd have understood the writer's intentions. I realized it was harsh to say cheating, but eluded to it being an unfair advantage. This is not saying anything of the economics of running this game. it's simply saying that while some may or may not be able to afford exp scrolls, others can and gain unfair advantage. Ok, lets just call it "added" advantage. Is that less abrasive?

Again, the point of this poll, is for my gain in knowing if i will use the item mall or not to possibly take some of that added advantage. Is that so hard to understand?

you should read your poll options. Then maybe youll know whats wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:51 pm 
Casual Member

Ok, just reread them. In doing so i see 3 options to choose from.

1) no use of paid services
2) minimal use of paid services
3) heavy use of paid services

Am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:59 pm 

Ironchef wrote:
Ok, just reread them. In doing so i see 3 options to choose from.

1) no use of paid services
2) minimal use of paid services
3) heavy use of paid services

Am I missing something?

1)Did you earn everything yourself without the aid of purchased gold or item mall help?
2)Did you use the item mall once or twice to get over a hump?

---These two are fine

3) Did you heavily use the aid of the item mall and/or purchase gold from farmers/hackers?

--- This is the problem. buying item mall items is fine but you placed them together with buying gold from farmers/hackers which is illegal. Doing this youre making it look like buying and using item mall items are the same as buying stuff from hackers. They are two different things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:59 pm 

Ok, I'll go,

I use a Monkey, I use the golden 4 week ticket, and I buy instant res scrolls.

I must say that this is the most expensive free game I have ever played. lol.

Once you grind with a scroll, you start to wonder what you're going to do to pass the time until your next 3 hours starts. I tend to hate griding now without the scroll going.

SO, mark me down as # 3) heavy use of paid services

Old school Quake II railer ign V4POR>NSH>

Current Guild Wars player...4 level 20s

[RETIRED]Night Elf hunter lvl 70 Denie Tanaris server

[RETIRED]LEVEL--59 Jae_Won

Forum lurker

Last edited by V4POR on Wed May 31, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:02 pm 
Ex-Staff

Option 3 includes purchasing gold from hackers, that has absolutely nothing to do with the item mall. Thats the problem. Most people here do not condone the use of 3rd party programs or purchasing ingame gold with real money. By putting the mall items in the same option choice you essentially alienate all of the item mall users. Not to mention your poor choice of the word cheater.

I use item mall stuff, but have never cheated or purchased anything outside of the game (like gold/characters/items). Therefore I have no voting option.

edit: I've earned every item, every GP, every skill point and every experience point that I have. I did some of it with the use of mall items, either way I EARNED it, especially when you consider that I worked for the money used to pay for those items as well.

Last edited by hellsharpt on Wed May 31, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:04 pm 
Casual Member

Ryoko wrote:

Imp, "Heavy use of item Mall" would mean Res scrolls, reverse return scrolls, double exp, monkey, global chats, 20% damage increase, 1,000 pots, etc. And you use an xp scroll and a monkey. It all comes down to what you define as heavy use, maybe the poll options could have been slightly better worded but no need to get in a tizzy over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:07 pm 
Ex-Staff

Elbee wrote:
Ryoko wrote:

Imp, "Heavy use of item Mall" would mean Res scrolls, reverse return scrolls, double exp, monkey, global chats, 20% damage increase, 1,000 pots, etc. And you use an xp scroll and a monkey. It all comes down to what you define as heavy use, maybe the poll options could have been slightly better worded but no need to get in a tizzy over it.

then take the part about buying gold from hackers out as that is a non legal option. I think most people would be ok with it then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:12 pm 
Forum Legend

I don't plan on ever using the item mall on my leveling journey. Cash is spent on better games :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:15 pm 

I was completely Item-Mall free til about 5 minutes ago when i bought a 4 Week Gold Ticket and a monkey.

Level: 5X (SP Farming)
Build: P.Str/Fire/Blade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:18 pm 
Casual Member

Sorry guys, the poll stays as is.

It's purpose is to solicite your votes based on how you levelled your character. You are also asked to "explain" your vote which is more than adequate in allowing you to choose one of the simple categories.

If you didn't buy gold, but you use an exp scroll every week, then you should vote #3 and then explain "I voted #3 because i use a scroll, but I do not buy gold." It seems that others are prefectly capable of casting their votes and explaining thus, no reason you complicated folks can't do it.

Not hard at all. And believe me, i debated over changing the poll, but it's perfectly clear. Also, by putting the "and/or" in there, it does NOT combine them and blend illegal purchases with legal ones. So stop reading into it and grow up people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:20 pm 
Valued Member

This poll wuld be deleted if I had the power........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:22 pm 
Casual Member

V4POR wrote:
Ok, I'll go,

I use a Monkey, I use the golden 4 week ticket, and I buy instant res scrolls.

I must say that this is the most expensive free game I have ever played. lol.

haha, i believe it. I saw the prices for item mall things, and while some are nicely priced, there is no price tag attached to how addicted you can become to buying more items, or sustaining your SRO career through continual purchases. It can easily surpass $15 /month that P2P games charge.

This is another reason I'm polling, so I can carefully choose to be completely "item mall" free, or if I will slowly get hooked on exp scrolls or other items sold there. I chose this game because it was free, and it's a fine game as is..though I anticipate hard grinds ahead based on the play style, and it would be cool to see how others dealt with it so i can be encouraged to play more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:23 pm 
Casual Member

STINGER wrote:
This poll wuld be deleted if I had the power........

Yell yippee friggen yahoo for you! Thanks for the spam goob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:24 pm 
Advanced Member

you dug yourself a hole. if i were you i'd claber onto the edges desperately because the bottom of it will crumble and open up into a chasm impending your doom if you continue this.

bad topic choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:26 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I don't see the problem.

For the longest time I was without a ticket and I still managed to level quicker then item mall buyers.

Just because you can't afford them doesn't make it wrong. I've always been for mall items, even when I couldn't afford them. That's a fair advantage, anyone can purchase them.

What's unfair is buying item mall items then selling them for millions of gold in game. It's no longer possible but I know MANY who took advantage of this, it's just as bad as buying gold from botters. In that case it should be considered cheating, as buying gold is.

Also, just to add what i've bought (spent 30$, and borrowed 15$ from a guildie to whom I still owe):

2 monkeys,
1 exp gold ticket,
1 stack of globals,
2 stacks of 10,000 arrows
1 stack of 1,000 mp potions
1 stack of 1,000 hp potions
1 chakji helmet

I'm also planning to buy a couple more gold tickets and a couple monkey clocks after this weekend, after I make some more cash.

Last edited by dom on Wed May 31, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:26 pm 
Ex-Staff

might as well say that people who use autopot are cheating macro users... OMG H4X :roll:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next