Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Computer freezes after a few minutes.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:33 pm 
Elite Member

So, I just bought a new motherboard, new ram and a new cpu (checked if everything was compatible and it was), and I got my computer running for the first time in over a year.
But now, when I start it and logg on, after a few minutes of loading stuff up, everything but the cursor freezes (sometimes the buttons light up when I hover over them like just they should, but as soon as I press the button that window freezes).
After a while the cursor freezes as well and I have to shut the computer off by holding the power button.

The only thing ive managed to do so far is to activate windows but thats it, I dont even have enough time to install the drivers for the motherboard. For the most part it freezes just after I get to open my harddrive (my dvd-rom doesnt work so I copied the drivers to an external harddrive) were I have my drivers.

As you can imagine, this is quite frustrating and ofcourse I would like to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Sorry if this is confusing, its kinda late and im tired as f**k. I appreciate any comment you might have on this issue and if it still isnt clear what my problem is, please do ask so that i can further explain whats happening (never heard of anyone having even slightly the same problem so its kinda hard to explain it I guess).

Thanks in advance. :love: :love:

PS: Ill post my specs later if you need them, right now im having a hard time keeping my eyes open. What I can tell you right now is that i have a GeForce 8600 gfx card, a 400W Power supply, 2,3Ghz Quadcore cpu, and 2Gb of corshair RAM. Dont know sh1t about the motherboard though, will post more detailed specs later.

Post subject: Re: Computer freezes after a few minutes.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:34 pm 

try using a different dvd drive and reinstall windows

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:35 am 
Elite Member

Allright, I cleaned out about 80 - 90GB's worth of crap and games and now the freezing stopped.
I wouldnt say im out of the woods just yet, since I have no clue what caused it I cant say for sure that it wont come back when I fill it up again.

ATM im installing the drivers I got for the motherboard.

Ive got another question to ask. I switched from a single core to a quad core and from 1GB RAM to 2GB but I have yet to feel any differance in performance. So my question is, have I just overestimated the diffrence in quad and single cores or is there something weird going on here?

Any ideas in the freezing issue are greatly appreciated because I would like to know what caused it so I can prevent it from happening again.

Amarisa, ill try to clean the drive and reinstall XP after I move everything over to my external harddrive.'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:31 pm 

0l3n wrote:
Allright, I cleaned out about 80 - 90GB's worth of crap and games and now the freezing stopped.
I wouldnt say im out of the woods just yet, since I have no clue what caused it I cant say for sure that it wont come back when I fill it up again.

ATM im installing the drivers I got for the motherboard.

Ive got another question to ask. I switched from a single core to a quad core and from 1GB RAM to 2GB but I have yet to feel any differance in performance. So my question is, have I just overestimated the diffrence in quad and single cores or is there something weird going on here?

Any ideas in the freezing issue are greatly appreciated because I would like to know what caused it so I can prevent it from happening again.

Amarisa, ill try to clean the drive and reinstall XP after I move everything over to my external harddrive.'

that was probably your problem single cores can not handle that much data (at least fast). unless its on a different HDD from the OS (like 2 HDD (HDD = hard disk drive aka hard drive))