Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: ATTN: Wine users...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:11 am 
Casual Member

can you still play Silkroad online?

I realized that crossover is exactly the same as Wine, and I'm having problems playing SRO using crossover.
When I open the client the start button will appear and when I press it it will show the hackshield at the bottom right and when that disappears the client box will still be on the screen without the start button though, and it will just stay that just as stated in my previous topic.

I want to know if this problem is Joymax's doing to prevent third party programs, or is this just an issue with wine.

Please help me.

Post subject: Re: ATTN: Wine users...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:25 pm 

DOCoSPADEo wrote:
can you still play Silkroad online?

I realized that crossover is exactly the same as Wine, and I'm having problems playing SRO using crossover.
When I open the client the start button will appear and when I press it it will show the hackshield at the bottom right and when that disappears the client box will still be on the screen without the start button though, and it will just stay that just as stated in my previous topic.

I want to know if this problem is Joymax's doing to prevent third party programs, or is this just an issue with wine.

Please help me.

I noticed somewhat similar problems with other software. I am starting to think it's not a problem with Silkroad, but perhaps with wine's network stack or something. I downloaded a trial of some Unity3D program and installed it in wine. When Unity tried to connect to a server to register the trial software, it got stuck on "connecting to server..." This may be related to the SRO launcher's apparent difficulty in connecting to a login server. I would imagine that is one of the first steps that sro_client.exe does: connect to a login server to accept ID/pass while presenting the user with the logon screen and the animated intro sequence.

I tried using other networking utilities (noticed there is a ping.exe in ~/.wine/drive_c/WINDOWS/system32) but they mostly just returned a message stating that they are only coded to do a 'sleep' instead of really pinging... So I don't know if wine's networking is broken as a whole, or perhaps secure protocols such as SSL. I don't know if SRO uses SSL to do any encryption of the login session or not.

Again, somewhat similar results from two drastically different programs, so I don't think it's just SRO or hackshield.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:27 pm 
Casual Member

I got a heap of games running in wine - StarCraft II, Warcraft III, PWI, Fear, Vampire, etc etc.

I used to have silkroad running successfully - but alas, it stopped working now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 am 
Casual Member

thanks yoko, that tells me that this is a common problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:31 pm 

Has anyone tried the new client? I downloaded it to a virtual machine, but now I can't get into it to transfer the file to my Linux box.

Edit: I think it might be a DirectX thing. I just got back into my virtual machine (XP running under VMWare Server 2), installed the new SRO client, and tried running it. The "Silkroad Guard" comes up, gets to about 10-20% like it does in Linux, and disappears. The launcher also goes away and an error comes up that "nothing will be rendered" and mentions something about needing to install DirectX SDK. I installed DirectX 9c under this XP virtual machine, rebooted, and got the same results. SRO claims there is no rendering engine and that I need DirectX.

This is the same point that SRO under Linux and wine fails. The only difference is under Linux it doesn't actually give me the "nothing will be rendered" error. Maybe I just never wait long enough.

I've heard of other people running SRO under a virtual machine, so it should work. It's the only installation of XP I have available. So far, no luck getting it to work in Linux and Wine, or in XP under VMWare Server 2.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm 
Casual Member

I tried the new client, legend V plus, still the exact same problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:19 am 

Just found this webpage about this issue. It seems Silkroad v1.265 is not supported in wine. It may be because of a wine bug that someone references in the thread on that page.

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=9638&sid=fc7cfbc7236a2390cecd4f02ee3c3269

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)