Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: [GUIDE] How to run Silkroad on Mac
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

I am making this guide because I just wanted to give back to the community and hopefully will help people just like I was helped.

What you need

-a Mac
-Windows installation disk (Windows 7 is prefered)
-BootCamp (if you don't already have it)

Getting Started

First off, the Windows 7 package should come with 2 disks, a 32 bit and a 64 bit. You will be using the 64 bit disk.

Next, go into the utilities folder and find BootCamp Assistant. Then you will have to create a partition (creating space for Windows). Now you should choose how much space you want to reserve for Windows but be careful, there is a possibility that you could delete some Mac files so backing up your files is a good idea. I did the 50-50 partition and it worked fine.

Ok after you create the partition you have to insert the CD (64 bit). It will then take you through a process which is pretty self explanatory. You will come to a point where you have to select your partition and format it to continue. After that the installation process should be a breeze.

Getting Silkroad

After I downloaded the Silkroad client I ran into a problem. The game simply could not launch and I found out that I need to download a driver. Here is where you can download a driver:

win7 32 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-w ... river.html

win7 64 bit:

After that is downloaded, restart your computer and SR should work. :)
>Credit to Sacrosanctus for the downloads.

Here is my other thread which went into depth of the problem: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126750

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to run Silkroad on Mac
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:09 pm 

Nice helpful guide to get SRO up and running. Isn't this just running SRO in Windows 7 on Mac hardware? The real challenge would be to get SRO running under OS X. Either that or get it running on Linux or OpenSolaris. :-P

Either way, this is a good guide.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:54 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

CrossOver Games worked on Mac up until about mid 2010, after that, it could not get pass the gameguard. Now working it solely on Mac hardware is pretty much impossible to do. Unless something drastic happens, which is extremely unlikely, this would be the best bet at getting it to run. As for Linux and OpenSolaris, I have no experience with them and know next to nothing about.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:37 am 
Forum God

OH EM GEE! TAYLOR SWIFT?!?!? You're now my favorite person, ever.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:46 am 
Frequent Member

What about Wine?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:07 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Juicy wrote:
What about Wine?

CrossOver games is pretty much a derivative of Wine, the two are both extremely similar in that they are emulators. I have experimented with both and found neither to work. Unfortunately emulators do not have the capacity to run a program such as SR. My advice would be to save the money and dont pay for CrossOver, I am talking from personal experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:10 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Tasdik wrote:

She is Perfect. :love:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:09 pm 

Tasdik wrote:

Hah lol, u said it was me:P nah jk :)

EDIT:

Links ain't working, I guess you just copy-paste them from the other thread, so here they are ;)

32bit:

64bit:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:28 am 
Casual Member

Juicy wrote:
What about Wine?

The recent hack shield/game guard updates have made wine ineffective. It's unfortunate. I haven't found a method of running it effectively on Linux short of a virtual machine.

I'd assume the updates that ruined wine compatibility would also apply to any Mac equivalent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 pm 
Casual Member

Sigh, thank Taylor, I didn't learn anything because I already knew all this stuff. I'm just denying the fact that I can't play SRO without Bootcamp.

I have Bootcamp but I need a windows installation CD and I don't want to pay $200 just for SRO. I'm really hoping that Joymax will undo the gameguard stopping Crossover. Because I remember the very day Crossover stopped. I played the day before, and gameguard (hackshield pro) always came up.

This is ridiculous. This update didn't stop any botters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:59 pm 

TaySwift wrote:
Juicy wrote:
What about Wine?

CrossOver games is pretty much a derivative of Wine, the two are both extremely similar in that they are emulators. I have experimented with both and found neither to work. Unfortunately emulators do not have the capacity to run a program such as SR. My advice would be to save the money and dont pay for CrossOver, I am talking from personal experience.

Well they're not emulators. Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". Wine is an open source implementation of the Win32 API. Not quite the same as an emulator. :P

SRO used to work perfectly fine in Wine on Linux. In fact, it worked even better than SRO did in Windows XP on the same machine when I tested it. From what I understand by reading the Wine bug reports, the fact that SRO doesn't work in wine anymore has nothing to do with SRO itself. The current version of hackshield attempts to use certain features that the Wine implementation of the Windows kernel does not have. Wine would have to be updated to implement these new functions that hackshield expects to be present. It's a problem with wine (and therefore crossover) not with SRO or hackshield.

It affects a lot of games that use hackshield.

SRO should work again if Joymax went back to using an older version of hackshield or gameguard.

Or since Wine is open source, someone can implement those missing features. :)

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:38 pm 
Casual Member

PR0METHEUS wrote:
TaySwift wrote:
Juicy wrote:
What about Wine?

Well they're not emulators. Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". Wine is an open source implementation of the Win32 API. Not quite the same as an emulator. :P

SRO used to work perfectly fine in Wine on Linux. In fact, it worked even better than SRO did in Windows XP on the same machine when I tested it. From what I understand by reading the Wine bug reports, the fact that SRO doesn't work in wine anymore has nothing to do with SRO itself. The current version of hackshield attempts to use certain features that the Wine implementation of the Windows kernel does not have. Wine would have to be updated to implement these new functions that hackshield expects to be present. It's a problem with wine (and therefore crossover) not with SRO or hackshield.

It affects a lot of games that use hackshield.

SRO should work again if Joymax went back to using an older version of hackshield or gameguard.

Or since Wine is open source, someone can implement those missing features. :)

So what you're saying is that it's possible for Wine (and CrossOver) to work if a simple update was made to Wine?

I kinda figured that Joymax down-grading Hackshield would un-do the problem prior to reading this post, but I didn't think Wine making an update would also be a solution.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:13 pm 

DOCoSPADEo wrote:
So what you're saying is that it's possible for Wine (and CrossOver) to work if a simple update was made to Wine?

I kinda figured that Joymax down-grading Hackshield would un-do the problem prior to reading this post, but I didn't think Wine making an update would also be a solution.

If I understand the problem correctly from Wine's bug reports, then yes. However, I don't think it would be a simple update to Wine. I don't know much about the functionality that is missing, but if it's kernel-level stuff, it wouldn't exactly be easy.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:30 am 
Casual Member

It'd probably require a decompiling of Hack Shield to find what exactly it's looking for so you can add the functionality to wine. To be frank, hackshield/gameguard/punkbuster and all software in that field in general are pieces of shit that do nothing but make things more difficult for people who aren't doing anything wrong. The BEST thing to happen would be for Joymax to just stop using it all together(yeah, right), since it's not doing anything, but that DEFINITELY won't happen, as that would require a tiny bit of effort on Joymax's part which wouldn't have an immediate return in terms of profit, so I guess we'll have to wait until someone actually feels encouraged enough to go through the hell it would take to get wine working with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm 

Some info...

wine and hackshield:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4666

wine and silkroad:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=5391

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:12 pm 

Hi guys Does this method still work? and can you download windows for free, rather than buying the discs?