Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: iMac users? (linux or wine)?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:36 pm 
Casual Member

Anybody here have access to this game via wine or crossover?

Last time I check (a few months ago) it didn't work, and I don't want to waste my time downloading and installing the game just to be disappointed.

Post subject: Re: iMac users? (linux or wine)?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:43 am 

could try to use wine to run VMware Player. Then run winXP in VMware player because it can handle SRO pretty well. I don't know if this would work though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:01 pm 
Loyal Member

Using only the JM client, I couldn't get it to work - something to do with GameGuard DLL's, w/e. I gave up months ago.

it might work using some type of loader that disables gameguard. Not that I'm suggesting you do that.

iSRO - AsparTame 8x - retired
Salvation - Aspar 70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm 

Amarisa wrote:
could try to use wine to run VMware Player. Then run winXP in VMware player because it can handle SRO pretty well. I don't know if this would work though.

If you're going to use a virtual machine, why not use one that is native to Linux? Don't go through wine for that.

VirtualBox and VMWare (Player, Workstation, Server...) all have native Linux versions. You could install that, create a Windows virtual machine, and play SRO in that.

As for running SRO directly in wine, I don't think it works currently. Last I remember, there was an issue with Game Guard. I remember reading something about wine's kernel-level code having some kind of hooks missing that Game Guard is expecting to see. Something like that. So Game Guard kills the client. Hasn't been fixed in wine that I'm aware of. At any rate, it's an issue with wine, not SRO.

_Equal_ wrote:
Using only the JM client, I couldn't get it to work - something to do with GameGuard DLL's, w/e. I gave up months ago.

it might work using some type of loader that disables gameguard. Not that I'm suggesting you do that.

Yes technically that would be feasible IF the "software that shall not be named" were supported in wine. But if you use that software, you will be attacked by a velociraptor. :D

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:43 am 

PR0METHEUS wrote:
Amarisa wrote:

If you're going to use a virtual machine, why not use one that is native to Linux? Don't go through wine for that.

Because at the time I didn't know that lol, but I have more Linux experience now so no more fails like that from now on I promise! :giveup:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 pm 

Amarisa wrote:
PR0METHEUS wrote:
Amarisa wrote:

Because at the time I didn't know that lol, but I have more Linux experience now so no more fails like that from now on I promise! :giveup:

You are forgiven, this time ;)

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)