Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Playing Silkroad from a CD or portable USB drive - possible?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:11 pm 

I've been playing silkroad for a while now and I've been thinking of ways to show it to friends, without them having to install it themselves. Would it be possible to install SRO onto a CD or a USB drive that you can load into any computer and play the game? I'm not at my home system so I don't even know how much space the installation takes.

Now I don't mean a CD that is bootable, similar to a Linux LiveCD. I just mean a CD or USB drive that you load SRO from within Windows XP/Vista.

Has anyone had any luck with this, or even tried it?

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:25 pm 

I think a usb drive that also carries a conpatable driver to the computer in use would work as long and you know the drive and have enught memory on the usb drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:38 pm 

I'll have to try it tonight when I get home. Mount the flash drive, install to it, then run it and see what happens.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:25 pm 

ok pm me and tell me what happeneds please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 pm 

Well I got SRO working from DVD, although it is VERY slow. That is probably mostly due to the specs of the system. It's an older gateway Laptop, Pentium 3, I believe 256 megs RAM and 64 megs shared video.

I simply burned the contents of C:\Program Files\Silkroad to a DVD, put the DVD into the laptop (SRO was never installed on the laptop itself) and executed silkroad.exe from the DVD.

It ran barely fast enough for me to chat with friends in guild, union, and PM. It took my system about 5 minutes just to load the game and load Hotan. Seemed like an eternity. I can walk around town, but with a HUGE amount of lag. The lag goes down significantly if I drag the files to the hard drive.

You can just drop the files right onto your desktop if you want, and delete when you're done. You can even store the files on an external USB drive, or one of those USB thumb drives too. :D

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:32 am 
Valued Member

PR0METHEUS wrote:
Well I got SRO working from DVD, although it is VERY slow. That is probably mostly due to the specs of the system. It's an older gateway Laptop, Pentium 3, I believe 256 megs RAM and 64 megs shared video.

I simply burned the contents of C:\Program Files\Silkroad to a DVD, put the DVD into the laptop (SRO was never installed on the laptop itself) and executed silkroad.exe from the DVD.

It ran barely fast enough for me to chat with friends in guild, union, and PM. It took my system about 5 minutes just to load the game and load Hotan. Seemed like an eternity. I can walk around town, but with a HUGE amount of lag. The lag goes down significantly if I drag the files to the hard drive.

You can just drop the files right onto your desktop if you want, and delete when you're done. You can even store the files on an external USB drive, or one of those USB thumb drives too. :D

Wow that's awesome im gonna try it out when i get a chance, i didnt think it would be so simple...I hope it runs better on my latop because i have a decent gaming rig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 pm 

Just make sure you're administrator when you run it. Silkroad will install GameGuard drivers.

Server: Alps
IGN: ddcc
Level: 3x