Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

should spyware be taken out of the game?
Yes. 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
It must be there for a reason. 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
No you're being paranoid. 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Hidden Processes & Spyware
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:04 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

When i run the game my spyware program "Spyware Doctor" picks up several pieces of spyware and 2 hidden processes, the spyware doesn't really bother me because as far as i know they aren't key loggers and the spyware are actually the same 2 files that have hidden processes. what is bothering me though is the hidden processes, does anyone actually know what these hidden processes are actually doing?

the files are:
sro_client.exe
GameMon.des

i have also posted this on the official forum of SRO Post 21146 under blah blah topics,
Oracle may be right i'm just wanting that little bit more confirmation before i choose to run the game again.

Oracle wrote:
I can imagine these processes have something to do with the Item Mall, since you can reach it via the game and a connection is being established, possibly your spyware scanner classifies this as potentially dangerous.

Thats the only idea I can come up with, hope someone can elighten us all ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:12 am 
Elite Member

Gameguard is bringing that up, nothing you can do.

Post subject: Re: Hidden Processes & Spyware
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:24 am 

sro_client.exe = actual game client that runs the game

GameMon.des = gameguard application that hids from the user the game client and gameguard processes. Gameguard prevents hacks, cheats etc.

Post subject: Re: Hidden Processes & Spyware
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:38 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Tohak wrote:
sro_client.exe = actual game client that runs the game

GameMon.des = gameguard application that hids from the user the game client and gameguard processes. Gameguard prevents hacks, cheats etc.

i don't mean to sound like i'm being bitchy or anything, but i already know this, but both files are doing something else which is showing up as a hidden process when i run the game, such is the case that my spyware program promts me to delete them.

Genjo_Sanjo from Silkroad.net forum wrote:
download exe from original websites and just play, SRO wont harm you PC except you download any third party software

i downloaded the game from the official site and i don't use third party software because i don't trust them. and from what i've read on the forums they make you worse off for example, your account could get hijacked because the program you downloaded had a keylogger in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:01 am 

Just because you call it "spyware", or because it is detected by an "anti-spyware" program, does not mean that the program is violating your privacy or sharing information that you don't want to be shared. Gameguard has to share certain information about your computer with the server in order to monitor whether you are using cheats or hacks. That your spyware program flags this activity is no more suspicious than your firewall flagging a new program and asking you whether you want to allow it access to the internet. You are being overly paranoid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:06 am 

What they are doing?: They are running the game.
They are considered hidden by your program because if you do a regular ctrl-alt-tab you'll see under the MS process tree you won't find either process. Since SRO is a third party program it'll be considered as "malware/spyware" by some programs becuase it hides itself in background while you run it.

In other words.. don't worry about it, its normal. Also you said u got it directly from the sro website so 99.9% of the time programs dl'd from main site will be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:32 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

ok, thank you very much for your opinions on this, it just scared me when it said there were 2 hidden processes within the programs. i tend to freak out alot whenever i think somehting is going to harm my pc since it's a rental on a government scheme. but if they are just to check that i am not using hacks or such things then that has calmed me down a touch.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:21 am 
Loyal Member

Your sig is wrong. The saying goes "Never make fun of a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you make fun of him you are a mile away.. and you have his shoes."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:12 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

antix wrote:
Your sig is wrong. The saying goes "Never make fun of a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you make fun of him you are a mile away.. and you have his shoes."

actually i copied my signature from a fortune cookie, it's the only one that made me laugh uncontrolably. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:40 pm 
Common Member

they say the tradeoff for playing free is bad service, slow updates and the rest blah, blah, blah,

but if you think about it, lots of free games have spywares or trojans these thing go with the game and steal itsy bitsy teeny weeny infromation from your computer, and sell em to a company who inturn sell em to product sellers....

LOL ever wondered why the the sudden up on the number of spam e mail concerning a certain interest, LOL it mean it gathered information bout your surfing habits....

LOL nothing is free in this world even those free games that says spyware free dont trust em :banghead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:23 pm 
dont bring up posts that are over a year old.

thats a warning.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]