Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Silkroad Online & The Future!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:08 am 
Frequent Member

People keep saying silkroad is dead, let it die, etc! But really, oldschool isro is dead as is pserver, the games engine although dated, can still hold up really well considering its age. Pservers have rarely, if ever been shut down due to copyright issues and generally due to being...illegal? So its relatively safe to invest in, I should imagine!

Why cant Fly bring back his vision that was almost perfected in salvation, work on it even more... and focus on it as a unique game, advertising on a unique website to attract new players who aren't entirely in the market for a silkroad pserver. Aside from irl commitments and the fact life goes on and things can obviously stop this from happing, hopefully he still has a small desire left to do something like this!

It has a great pvp system. A massive world full of unique areas, open expanses, city hubs, dungeons to enter etc. An awesome job system "needs updating imo", hunters and traders vs thieves! A unique monster system spawning throughout the day. An addictive alchemy system, which with a deeper customization could be something really unique and interesting, such as the ability to actually craft unique gear sets by buying crafting mats and recipes. All of these features are the core value of what it already is, surely they can be integrated better and used to a more modern standard. For example, adding a weekly currency system which caps per week similar to how final fantasy 14 does, or dungeons that directly reward a currency used to buy gear, on a weekly bases, you don't need to work your ass off for it, its gated behind this currency that encourages people to play the game over the course of weeks/months and not being burned out farming hardcore to get it asap! A thieves, hunters and traders guild "the npc's with some edits basically"... rewarding items related to your activity that are useful. Unique monster scrolls can be used better, instead of waiting for that 1 unique spawn for the whole server, allow people to spawn it themselves for 1 100% weapon drop, again it could be a weekly reward per person, and allow everybody in the party to roll a number for, highest number wins!

Ideas are simple, you can talk about every aspect of the game, and see what is possible through the code of the game to try an bring it up to date and improve, and move away from the massive grind and just focus on keeping people happy in game over months, not levelling or farming forever! I know for a fact, with good advertising, this game could still attract hundreds of players. with a decently made website, none of these pserver copy and paste jobs. Advertising is simple these days and largely free!

Right now, silkroad is dead. the pservers are just hype trains which are set for a few weeks then after the Turkish players get bored, they board the next train! And these guys literally play.... bot 24/7 until they have milked the game and get bored, weirdly the do this on loop and find another server, while the pserver owner is literally just there using preexisting code and a paypal to net a few k asap, occasionally you see actual coders have fun by ruining these servers when the owners get cocky, like they actually created something. These guys more than likely are taking over 5-20k over the course of a popular pserver, possibly even more, but then its dead in a matter of months, sometimes weeks, even days! Building a solid game which people want to play, could net you decent money imo, which is reason enough! especially once you reach a point its self sufficient and just needs a little attention now and then with large updates every few months. But the advertising and promotion needs to be stronger than salvation was, salvation was the best because we had an existing community of players from isro and the huge Avalon movement to back it as the home of legits, it was the silkroad everybody always wanted! Now, we just need a populated game that's truly long-term!

Just look at silkroad as a base, and then look to build something new with it!

Build 120% Pure Int S/S + Pure Force and 100% sun whore lol

PServer: Salvation - Active
IGN: Hideoki / SuddenDeath - BigInJapan
Build: Full Int Light/Cold/Bich level 70

Post subject: Re: Silkroad Online & The Future!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 am 
Common Member

IMO Fly would actually lose money if he tried to reopen it and advertise.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:00 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

The problem with investing in SRO is that no matter how good I make a server, it still is not "mine" at the end of the day. If it got too big, it would only be a matter of time until it got shut down.

I did have a good idea (atleast i think so) for a unique server which would almost be a whole new experience for the average silkroad player. I never shared it because I thought maybe one day I would come back and make it happen but im 100% sure that ship has sailed.

I was going to make a pure EURO server. It would be an alternate Silkroad. Imagine if in nov 2005 silkroad launched but instead of chinese it launched with euros only. No jangan, dw, mangyangs. You get euro areas, 60 cap, ect. Silkroad's strength and selling point is its ability to form a community feeling quickly. Euros build on that while chinese are solo based.

Next I was going to change the exp curve to be purely linear like GW2 is. Level 10 to 11 would take as long as level 50 to 51. By also changing how much exp mobs give, these two tweeks together would eliminate powerleveling.

Next I was going to take out party mobs and replace all normal mobs with the HP, DMG, and spawn rate that party mobs had. This would eliminate the ability to solo. A side effect is that you would not be able to bot solo. Botting in a party makes it obvious that your a botter and pt members can report the botter. This tweek would help cut down or possibly eliminate botting while forcing players together further building on the community aspect of the game.

Next I was going to place all required consumable drops (elixers, grains, tablets) at low levels only. This means once you pass a certain level your choices are buy the items from lower level players, or make an alt to farm the item which adds to the low level playerbase. This would ensure that no matter the age of the server, new players would always have people to party with.

Lastly I was going to turn "power progression" upside-down by boosting low degree stats and then adding diminishing returns as you get higher up. This would allow players to compete at most levels and not feel like level is holding them back. An example of this would be: Degree 1 gear having 1000 HP, degree 2 having 1500, degree 3 having 1850, degree 4 having 1974 and so on. This rewards effort with power but gives people a chance to always be useful.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, go for it. You have my blessing to give it a try. I would even be up for further discussion about features and balancing that may arise. But I dont see myself ever trying to run another silkroad server unless something big changes (sro going open source or 500+ pledged players).

Another reason im not crazy about trying anything SRO related is that over the last 5 years I have gotten into game dev and now have the know how to code my own game from scratch. Modding and re-purposing SRO has limitations. Coding my own game would give me way more flexibility to add the features that I feel a modern mmo needs. WASD movement for example is not possible in sro. Original job system is not possible if you want to keep fort war (no server files ever leaked with both systems).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:46 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Quote:
If it got too big, it would only be a matter of time until it got shut down.
I'm curious, do you have any examples of that ever happening to a pSRO server?

Frankly, I don't think the fear of getting "too big" is even relevant on a legit-only server.

As for the GW2 copy pasta... meh. I played GW2. I no longer play GW2. People here want SRO, whether they know it or not. Once things would get the least bit stale, all these changes would be thrown under the bus and used as a reason why the server failed.

Why even bring up WASD movement, that's not what anyone is looking for in SRO...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:18 pm 
Frequent Member

I don't think WASD is all that vital in sro. It'd work just fine though I'm sure, but the standard controls are pretty solid imo.

As for it getting too big, and then saying it wouldn't happen due to it being a legit only server isn't relevant either imo, if you aim to push the server as a unique game, even if it is just a custom sro experience, I think you would attract new players to the game. Creating a pserver purely for existing and oldschool legits wont work, or be worth it imo.

Also, unique items at a low level range isn't something I think is comfortable ingame and goes against the qol style a lot of modern games have. Something as basic as a global currency which you gain for doing content. 1 weapon elixir for example, could be worth 10x of whatever currency we use, call them seals or something. You could do unique daily quests for these, successful trade runs, dungeons, uniques killed etc. all of this would keep you busy daily, you could even have gear locked behind these seals, something which could allow active players to get gear on a weekly basis. a weekly cap of 500 seals, weapons costing 1000, gear 750 or something.

As for your own game, it sounds cool and I'm sure people would be interested in it. However, we all love silkroad and I think its never truly been recognised and pushed to its full potential. The full euro style could work though

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:19 am 
Common Member

Fry wrote:

I did have a good idea (atleast i think so) for a unique server which would almost be a whole new experience for the average silkroad player. I never shared it because I thought maybe one day I would come back and make it happen but im 100% sure that ship has sailed.

I was going to make a pure EURO server. It would be an alternate Silkroad. Imagine if in nov 2005 silkroad launched but instead of chinese it launched with euros only. No jangan, dw, mangyangs. You get euro areas, 60 cap, ect. Silkroad's strength and selling point is its ability to form a community feeling quickly. Euros build on that while chinese are solo based.

Now that would be certainly interesting, mix of something new and at same time something old.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:50 pm 
Forum Legend

wow, wait, did i just see Fly posting here?

i quickly came here to foolishly write this bright post of mine, but let me go actually re-check if such a thing happened!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:05 pm 
Forum Legend

Ah, such a pleasure to see someone talking about Silkroad that truly gets it at a different level! I love it so much, to see someone like you talking about Silkroad's social dynamics is a great joy. What you pulled out on Venus was so astonishing.

To be honest i think the biggest problem you got would be managing the server and that's what's actually holding you back from doing it, it's a lot of work.

Besides that and on the real point, it'd be possible to get in touch with old players around this forum and old connections to establish a solid community to keep the server running at the start, even donate for its sake. The thing is, we would have to find a way to atract players from Epvp, it's the only way for the server to have a healthy ecosystem and sustain itself, that'd be the real formula for you to figure out Fly.. it's a tough one.

A server with a true Silkroad version, with a nice community and that can be long term and keep feeding itself? Nobody ever figured that out, and sure we can say we could if we could actually change the game better if it was coded differently, but i don't think that's right.

To put it simple, i believe creating a server suited for legits that can keep botters at bay and lure them to a different playstyle and to envolve them more in the game, creating a server like this would be the key.. but i'm not sure how...

Nice to see you man, even though you banned me from the confederation once for no reason, always admired your thoughts about the game.

God damn this reminiscence, i miss Sylhana, Argonaut/Justin, all those guys who are such great strategists.. meh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:10 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

IceCrash wrote:
Nice to see you man, even though you banned me from the confederation once for no reason, always admired your thoughts about the game.

LOL. Sorry about that. Keeping venus together required me to be a bigger douchebag then even I was comfortable with at times. I always though you and the guys from Nox were pretty cool guys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:50 am 
Elite Member

Don't really have a lot to add to this topic, but I certainly enjoyed the read!

I like your ambitions, Hideoki, and your ideas, Fly.

But I just think it's too late now. I loved Salvation too, but the community of legit players who are still interested in Silkroad is very very small. Much smaller than when Salvation was launched.

Sorry to sounds so pessimistic.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:27 am 
Frequent Member

I agree with you guys, the legit scene is dead. But only dead if you think of it as something from the past. Avalon and silkroad will never happen again, that'd be impossible. Pserver sro these days is absolutely infested with Turkish players, not saying that's a bad thing, but with that the mentality is almost machine like in that they blitz their way through all game content via botting and extreme overplaying and 99% of the game's community is ruined. Ive played with many awesome Turkish players, so I know for a fact if the core gameplay experience is unique and actually requires playing, and has a dedicated team behind it, it'd work! And banning turk ip's is wrong imo.

Instead of looking at it and saying the legit community is dead, you have to look forward and think of bringing in new players! Also, maybe its time to not care so much about people who bot? Restrict the benefits to those who bot, crafting materials purchased with a unique currency from jobbing, weapons from unique kills, dungeons, pvp etc. I wonder how many would return if this happened, from even salvations community I would be shocked if less than 20 returned. Then you have epvpers "epvpers need love too xD" which can be used to advertise to those interested, we wouldn't promote the clone style servers, so I highly doubt the massive unions will come, but hitting the 100 active player count shouldn't be hard. And from there you promote the game more, 150... continue, 200.

Topsites don't do shit, setup your own website that's google ranked for free mmorpg and other popular keywords, attract traffic to your website that's not purely looking for "silkroad salvation" or w/e we did before, and you might see the game generate its own hype purely through itself! If I could make a website myself when I was 15 that attracted over 10k visitors unique a day and countless thousands posts on the forum daily, I'm sure its doable for a game, also the website itself can generate a lot of $$ monthly if the seo is done and its popular enough. The web side of things can really make the server stand out, a unique video uploading section directly linked to players profiles, which would also act as a social network style rev6 "armoury system but 2016 style", and with that people can generate their own content which further increases the websites size and potential. As I said originally, we wouldn't be joining the pserver scene but establishing something unique to itself! Silkroad as a core game still has the playability in it, just needs the right team!

****, I rambled on a bit! But yeah... would require a lot of work I guess!

Or... we all get behind Fly with his new game, setup a fund raiser or w/e they're called and see if anything comes of that! lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 pm 
Common Member

Gonna drop in and say you're over complicating things way too much. For the longest time it depended and still does depend on timing and getting big guilds to play on your server. We had good gameplay and pretty much the best balance since Salvation without a doubt but it didn't work because another server opened a week or two later which drew the players away.
Unless youre going to actually personally get big guilds to join don't bother, and it would work on a vanilla server you dont need any customizations.

Think about it this way, wouldn't you play on a server with 1-3k people knowing most of srf is on there even if it had 0 edits at early caps (70-90)? I think you would.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:21 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Oh Hideoki. I don't know where you get your enthusiasm from, but I admire it so. This unwavering dedication to the game is admirable. You made me ponder, and a rush of nostalgia fills my heart like it was yesterday. It is after all 10 years or so since the game started. I miss it more than ever.

I offer 1 pledge to join, to support, to dream again.

@Icecrash I miss you too

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:26 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Hideoki wrote:
I agree with you guys, the legit scene is dead.

Legit scene is dead, just like activity on this forum. Server owners have to market their creations towards crowds of Turks who just want to afk bot 95% of the time. While at same time getting timing right when it comes to few big guilds that server hop all the time, like Qynchou said.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:01 pm 

Qynchou wrote:
Gonna drop in and say you're over complicating things way too much. For the longest time it depended and still does depend on timing and getting big guilds to play on your server. We had good gameplay and pretty much the best balance since Salvation without a doubt but it didn't work because another server opened a week or two later which drew the players away.
Unless youre going to actually personally get big guilds to join don't bother, and it would work on a vanilla server you dont need any customizations.

Think about it this way, wouldn't you play on a server with 1-3k people knowing most of srf is on there even if it had 0 edits at early caps (70-90)? I think you would.

The genius of Salvation was limiting it to Donwhang and Jangan (plus all the skill editing to make everything balanced for a 70cap). It was ideal for job pvp, not too big of an area so that all the action is clustered together, but not too small (these 2 original zones still have many routes plus the in-between trade posts if you don't wanna use a ferry).
Also having forgotten world + battle arena sealed the deal in terms of activities.

Salvation in the first place was enough to make me come back to SRO after years of not playing, and after it died I didn't play it anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:40 pm 
Frequent Member

Qynchou wrote:

Loved Venture best psro I ever played, its just sad it didn't click cuz of bad timing.