Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem with pservers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:45 pm 
Forum God

Short and sweet, i often look for a reason to come back to sro but problem i have with private server is they destroy balance in the low levels, part of what i loved about sro was the leveling but getting full sos from the word go and 2x exp upwards is you miss out on the best part of the game.

Not saying all are this way but i hate reading the tag line of 'classic silkroad experience' when you put these in place it is not classic at all.

i remember the hours after a server is first opened, the rush to kill tiger girl first the tough time you have doing this been under geared and the knowledge of the land you needed to level fast, its the only time legit players were better because we knew how to level. I have claimed the server first kill of tiger girl before too just to put that out there.

what people don't realize up to i would say level 80 the game is pretty balanced you can achieve high levels in reasonable time but not so quick you miss out. There is no real end game in silkroad everything you can do at cap you can do while leveling. The old job system guilds used to do in mass, i remember the fear of doing one solo knowing i can handle the npc but if a high level comes im farked and vice versa if i was a theif and seen a lower level alone i would think nothing of attacking as it was part of the game. If everyone is cap there is no fear you know in theory anyone who attacks you, you can handle. The only thing that ruined it were bots who after level 30 started to pull ahead as up to that point a skilled legit player can stay ahead.

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

Post subject: Re: Problem with pservers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 am 
Elite Member

To be honest with you, I'm glad the rates aren't 1x on most private servers. Private servers only stick around for a few weeks / months at a time, so 1x rates would mean only 24/7 botters would get near the cap.

I do agree, of course, that the rates shouldn't be e.g. 50x. But I find 5x or 10x or even 20x (depending on the cap) to work fine. It depends a lot on the cap. 20x rates at 80 cap would clearly be too much.

But I agree that many "oldschool" servers aren't really oldschool. Too bad. But at the same time, I'm not sure many would play them. You might, and I might. But most people don't care for oldschool (there's still a substantial amount of us out there - just not a lot).

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 am 
Forum God

It's literally the reason why I don't want to go back. There's no reason the aspects of the game I loved are long gone.

I am not online much if you wish to get hold of me send me a private message with your email/discord and ill catch up with you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:50 am 

i would love to start up our own server, if someone knows how to do this i'd be more than happy to put in like idk, $50 a month to fund the server. i literally would.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:49 pm 
Common Member

I agree.

With rates some servers have they might aswell just start you off at cap and not even pretend there is any kind of early game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:02 pm 
Forum God

i dont ask for much but a 1:1 80 cap server (i say 80 cap as its possible) with some real focus on private server extras to give some interesting end game content but im more or less happy with vanilla as i said before what i like about grind fest style games is the leveling not the cap there isnt a real end game in sro its suppose to be about your journey

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:22 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

The problem with P-Servers is the stupidly high cap levels.

I don't understand why they don't just raise caps over time. Start with 60, then 70 and so on if you are going to do a low XP rate server. Grinding to 110 @ 1x rate is moronic. I know it took me a few months just to go from 60-70 on iSRO and then another few months to be full farm, but these stupid p-servers want me to go straight to 110? I'll quit from boredom before then.

Idiotic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 pm 

In my opinion this are the main problems with private servers:

1) CTF - Capture the Flag

This system might be ok in a CHN only server. Adding it in a server with EU is a crime. What is CTF about? Right, getting kills as a single player. You basically get rewarded for your personal performance in a party (!), **** the others. Selfish gameplay!!!

Imagine, just imagine, you play a str bard/cleric. How are your chances to get a kill? Almost non-existant I would say. Supporting roles in fact get punished because no kills mean no rewards for them. Yay nice, I healed, ressed, buffed my pt members but in the end I'm standing there with nothing valuable.

All in all CTF is leading to a small build variety as everyone will do a build that can perform good as a solo char to get many kills. That's why most servers mainly see Warriors and Wizards (both as cleric sub). More problems about this: strong players will demand all the kills for themselves, thus getting even stronger. New players almost don't have a chance to catch up.

So please do me a favor: Completely delete CTF. There is a much better pvp system in SRO already which gives every build a chance and even rewards the "losers". Party performance is what counts there - not the selfish gameplay. It is called Battle Arena. Never heard of it?

2) Uniques

Rewarding unique kills with Silk, coins or items is another NO-GO. It will lead to the same scenario as described above. What players will get the kills? Yes, the ones with most damage. Again, this will lead to small build variety as in 90% of the cases Wizards will get kills. Adding STR-uniques (I never understood that) isn't helping much either because there will only be 1-2 STR classes to get all the kills. No, bladers and 1h-Warriors probably don't count to them. Strong players getting even stronger.

It's better to make uniques dungeon-based. That way every class can get rewards from uniques either solo or in a party. Similar to Forgotten World or Jupiter Temple.

3) "job based"

To be honest, I can't stand reading this phrase anymore. Sure, rewarding jobbing can be nice. In fact, jobbing is getting abused massively. Everyone having his own caravans by using multiple accounts the same time. The person with most resources and time wins. Casual players and newcomers hardly can catch up or are in fear of getting robbed permanently. The original purpose of jobbing was to interact with other players from the server. So basically you picked 1 job and other players were helping you as a trader, hunter or thief.

In many threads I also see rewards for "job kills". It's as stupid as the CTF system (for more details read above). Same goes for "honor buffs" for the top x jobbers. Casual players will never be able to get these buffs. I would prefer servers where it is possible that everyone reach the same things.

4) overall 1v1 focus

Majority of servers reward solo, selfish single gameplay. Why there is no EU only server for example with PTPVP tournaments and party-based dungeons and BA?

Silkroad is called an MMORPG which means you actually would need to interact with the other players in the server in order to "succeed".

There actually are more points to be mentioned but it would take long time to write everything down. Just to give you an idea of a few: donator vs. non-donator imbalance, idiotic skill changes and "balance attempts", dozens of different sox-types or only-1-fortress.

「Silkroad Videos」

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:30 am 
Forum God

the days of the old feeling have gone i have accepted this, i doubt it will ever be back when you consider there are better games out there

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 pm 
Common Member

im looking for an 60/70/80cap server.
its pretty hard to find server + community.

what servers are u guys playing atm?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:05 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

On Society SRO. It's not that 4x XP rate I think? Leveling is easy with gear and adjusted quests.

Granted party chat is dead, and already there is global spam of someone +9 on their weapon. But I don't care, it's better than Warrior SRO still at their boring 1x rate and stupidly long quests.