Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Battle Wizard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:05 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

The Battle Wizard
By Cedwards9

Contents:

I-Introduction
1-Cedwards9
2-Why should I be a Wizard?
II-Wizard/Warrior Gear
1-Your Weapon
2-Your gear
III-Your Skills
1-Wizard Skills
2-Farming tips
IV-Playing your Wizard
1-Soloing
2-Partying
3-Player Versus Player

I-Introduction

Because so many people doubt the power of the Battle Wizard, I want you to experiment and feel the awesome power that is my build. I want to note that I took Guthix' Wizard/Bard guide and used it as a base, and quoted him quite a bit, especially in the PVP section. Credit where credit is due, you know.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=100199

1-Cedwards9

I commonly go by Ambrose. I'm a veteran of the Mercury server, now relocated to Phoenix. At one time I had a level 73 Battle Wizard on the Mercury server named Ambr0se who excelled in pvp and could handle most mobs at his level alone, even champions and parties.

2-Why should I be a Wizard?

A wizard is best defined in one word. KABOOM. As a Wizard, you're the damage dealer of the group. Now, when I say damage, I don't mean 'omg damage' or even 'WOW! He does a lot of damage!' No. I mean you're going to be doing about HOLYF@$#SH!% points of damage to pretty much everything.

A Wizard - properly farmed and formed - is the ultimate killing machine. But it's god-awful easy to screw a Wizard Build up, so I'm here to help.

3-Why should I Warrior Subclass?

As a wizard, you're stuck with robes as armor. ROBES. There's swords in this game. To hell with robes. Robes don't stop arrows. And of all the hundereds upon thousands of... no, actually there's only ONE complaint I've ever heard about Wizards.

They're too squishy. High INT means low HP.

LOW HP + ROBES + A BUG FLYING INTO YOU TOO FAST = DEATH

By keeping your Warrior mastery equal to your wizard mastery, you will be allowed to wear Heavy Armor to balance out your physical defense and still cast instant death on pretty much everything.

II- Wizard and Warrior Gear

1-Your Main Weapon

A Staff of course. You should always try to get the most powerful staff possible. Even 1 point of damage can save your life early on. No matter what, try to always have INT+ on your gear, STR+ as a secondary.

Because you'll be casting more than you will be using your regular attack, you really don't have to worry about attack rating or block ratio TOO much. Yes, it's helpful to have, but INT and STR will always be what you need to focus on.

2-Your gear

Wizards wear robes. We've already established that we don't like robes. I personally can't stand the breeze. DON'T use light armor. Common sense will be screaming 'But then I have high magic AND physical defense in one!' But screw that. You require the same level of Warrior mastery for 4d light armor as you do 4d heavy armor. You're going to be pure int. You have ENOUGH magic defense.

Heavy armor. Pure and simple. Try to keep INT and STR blues on your gear as much as possible, but mainly worry about the PHY DEF on each item. Keep up to date with the latest jewelry. Wear shiny new rings and ear rings, even if your dad calls you a pansy. That's DEF.

If you can find HP or MP bonuses on your items, that would be amazing.

III-Your Skills

1-Wizard Skills

Wizard skills, wich you will find by pressing the S button in game, selecting the caster tab, and then the Blow Stuff Up sub tab, are going to be your best friend about the time you hit level 8. Let's have a look-see shall we?

Force Mental:

Max all of these. Don't ask questions, just do it.

Note: Wizard's standard range is 18m, it's the standard range for all the ranged weapons. With Magic Bound, it is increased of 1m everytime you lvl up that skill.
~Guthix~

Earth Mentalist

Ground Charge:
Sometimes, sh1t gets too close for comfort. Sometimes, it brings friends. This spell releases what looks like dirt clods, hitting anything within 5 meters of you. If memory serves, it hits up to 9 enemies at once. You want this, but don't level it past say... 4 unless you want to farm extra.

Root:
This will be helpful in your earlier levels. If you see something you KNOW is about to attack you, which you KNOW you can't kill yet, cast this and run. This has an 80% chance of freezing your enemy for a short time. It's better than dying and losing 2% exp. (Note that if you attack while the enemy is rooted, it stops being rooted.)

Earth Shock:
Get it, max it. This is the most powerful AOE spell until level 60.

Earth Barrier:
Gives you extra 30% PHY DEF and has a one minute cool down. This is a great skill to MAX THE HELL OUT. It's great for running mobs solo, and if you're plvling someone, it's a good idea to protect them as much as possible.

Earth Rave:
Remember Ground Charge? This is that spell. Except they fed it steroids. And now it's constipated and angry. You want this spell.

Mesh Root:
More powerful version of Root. This one is your choice.

Earth Quake:
Did you ever wonder what would happen if like... maybe Godzilla fell on someone? That's this spell. Get it. Max it. Live it. Love it.

Earth Fence:
Like Earth Barrier, but better. Get it and max it.

Cold Mentalist

Ice Bolt:
A lot of people will tell you to just use fireball and skip this or use it as a backup. I disagree. This should be your primary spell. It uses less MP than Fireball, and until level 40ish, most things you can one hit kill with a fireball, you can one hit with this spell. Except if you don't one hit them... they're usually slowed down due to cold, you you can kill the enemy before it hits you.

Mana Drain:
This is a good skill to have if you want to PVP at lower levels. If you don't, then just skip it and wait for the next version.

Snow Wind:
One of my favorites. Lovably called the Polar Bear Fart by my good buddy Navala, it's a cold-based AOE. It does high damage, has an 80 percent chance of slowing the enemy, and a 20 of flat out freezing him.

Invisible:
A good spell to have if you want to avoid conflict... or create it. Turn invisible and pop up with a fireball behind someone. Keep in mind that as soon as you attack though, the invisibility wears off.

Frozen Spear:
This is a much more powerful version of ice bolt. GET IT.

Note: Frozen Spear's animation can be cut out right after you fire it, it will still hit 3 times and do as much damage. Also, as it hits 3 times, and every time has 20% chances of frostbiting, it will frostbite much more easily than ice bolt.
~Guthix~

Mana Drought:
Very useful in PVP, especially against chinese characters. You know - the ones who have HP and MP Potion IVs hanging out of their arms?

Blizzard:
Snow wind is an amazing spell. It does high damage. It freezes enemies. It even hits more than one enemy at once! Guess what? Snow Wind aint sh1t. Blizzard beat it up, took it's lunch money, and copped a feel on it's mom. Get this and max it.

Crystal Invisible:
This spell makes your whole party invisible for a short period of time. Good for party PVPs or sneaking your party through monsters you don't want to deal with. Not bad for the Hunter/Trader/Thief thing either.

Fire Mentalist

Fire Bolt:
Always have this maxed. It's a great 1shot KO spell.

Fire Trap:
Now this skill is optional but I suggest you take it. You won't use it very often, you can go all the way till lvl 90 without really missing it, but it's really usefull at jobbing and CTF. You can ,for instance, set a fire trap in front of an entrance, sit back and wait till someone walks in. It does more damage than fire bolt and has a very powerfull burn status. Like I said, I suggest you get it, but it's optional.~Guthix~

Because I never used Firetrap. ~Cedwards9~

Fire Blow:
Most people use this as a PVP skill. I personally don't like to use it in PVP because standing still for 7 seconds can mean death. But you'll fall back on this over and over any time you meet a party, giant or party giant.

Detect:
This sounds like a cool thing and all, but really it's not. You can only detect wizards with it, and the detect range is shorter than a wizard's attack range. Rogues are the ones you'll be worried about anyway.

Meteor:
A 5 meter super damage AOE. This skill is amazing. Be careful using Meteor and Firebolt in tandem though, as they each affect eachother's cool down time.

ImageLava Trap:
Fire trap, but more powerful.

Salamander Blow:
Fire Blow, but better.

Sprawl Detect:
It's Detect, but for your party.

Lightning Mentalist

Lighting Bolt:
Lower damage than ice bolt, but can jump to a second enemy. Actually pretty useful if used correctly. Which is good because you need to max it to get a really good spell later.

Lightning Shock:
80% chance of keeping your enemy from attacking you for 20 seconds. Get it. You're going to need it.

Charged Wind:
This skill isn't a damage dealing skill, it's more of a life-saving skill like lightning shock. No matter what, everytime you cast this skill it will KB. It can't fail. It hits 5 times, each time has a 80% change of KBing (hence why it never fails). You could leave it at lvl 1 but the improved version is worth it, so max it.
~Guthix~

Teleport:
This is a very handy skill. Whether escaping an enemy or teleporting behind a PVP enemy to throw him off, you're going to love this.

Charged Lightning:
It's an AOE. Get it.

Lightning Impact:
It's Lightning Shock, except as an AOE. By now you should know that AOE = MAX IT OUT.

Charged Squall:
Improved version of Charged wind.

Aerial Teleport:
Teleport, but with longer range.

I can not stress this enough. When upping your warrior mastery, do not get any warrior skills. If you have to ask why, go be a warrior.

3-Farming Tips

Now, unless you've been playing for a little while, you probably are ready to go blow some stuff up. If you're familiar with Silkroad in the least, you're trying to calculate how many SP your soul is worth selling for.

YOU HAVE TO LEVEL GAP LIKE A BYOTCH.

You have your character level which is your actual level. Then you have your skill level. Press S in game. See how the blue button has a level different from your character level? You want the skill level to be lower than your character level.

There's all kinds of fun intracacies involved in gapping, but let me explain it the short way. The larger the gap between your character level and your skill level, the longer it takes to level up. BUT. You get more SP, which means more spells and more powerful spells.

This is how I did it. Stay at skill level 0 until character level 4. At Character level 4, change your skill level to 4 so you can have your base spells. Once you have your base spells, stay at skill level 4 until character level 13. After that, your skill/char levels should look like this...

5/14
6/15
7/16
8/17
etc.

This way, there is always 9 levels (the max gap) between you and your skill levels. Do this until character level 40, at which point do this.

35/40
36/41
37/42
etc

Keep a 5 level gap. (you can do more if you want, but its a pain in the ass) until 50. At 50, it should be safe to close the gap entirely (50/50) and sacrifice any spells you don't want anymore, but I kept a 2 gap (48/50) until 75 just for sh1ts and grins.

IV-Playing your Battle Wizard

1-Soloing

You're not as squishy as most wizards, and most wizards can hold their own solo. This means you do very well solo.

1.1-Getting Ready

Stock up on Mana potions like CRAZY. Set them to 20% in your AutoPotion screen (T) Health potions aren't a bad idea eaither. Set them at 75%. If you get hit once, you'll get hit a second time usually, and if it heals you faster than you take damage, that's okay because dying sucks.

1.2-Skills you'll need the most:
-Ice Bolt / Frozen Spear
-Fireball
-Ground Charge
-AOE (Snow Wind)
-AOE (Fire Blow)

Tips:If you 2 hit your mob, then cast Ice Bolt/Frozen Spear first. It has a chance of frostbiting and even freezing. You'll find it annoying that fire olt can 1 shot mobs than Ice Bolt can't, until lvl 60, so the best choice is mobs you can 2 shot.~Guthix~

2-Partying

2.1-With your Wizard Mastery

2.1.1Role in the party:

You kill stuff. Make sure whatever Tank is around has taunted the mob before you try to kill it. Your armor doesn't make you invincible. It just keeps you safe a little longer.

2.1.2-Your position in a party:

In the back. Away from the stuff that your party has p1ssed off.

2.1.3-If under attack...

If you're in a party, you know enough about your character to know what it can and can not fight alone. If you can take it, take it out quick. If you even think you might not be able to take it, teleport and run past the tank so he can get it off you.

A well formed party is like a machine. One piece breaks and it's useless. You are an essential cog, so don't be an idiot. Accidents happen, but we should try to keep them down.

3-Player Versus Player

This is where you're going to shine.

3.1-The main PvP skills: (I have left this identicle in most respects to Guthix' guide because it's spot on.)

Frozen Spear:
This is the skill you'll be using against int/hybrid int builds with a shield. Why? Because it does as much damage as fire bolt but it hits 3 times and has frostbite. Let me explain further:
For example, you want to kill a warlock or a chinese pure int s/s. You cast fire bolt. If he blocks your attack, then you do 0 damage on him.
Cast Fire Bolt = Blocked = 0 damage = you get owned after
Now if you cast Frozen spear, even if your warlock/chinese pure int s/s blocks one of your hits, he will still get hit by the 2 other hits and he will most likely die, unless eh gets lucky and blocks 2 or even the 3 of your hits. Anyways, the point is you got more chances of killing him than with fire bolt.
Cast Frozen Spear = Blocked + 5000 + 5000 = 10k damage = opponent killed!

Note: The reason why you're not using Fire Blow here is that you get stuck there for 9 seconds when int builds don't take that long to kill. Frozen Spear works better in these cases.

Now this skill is very handy against int/hybrid int builds carrying a shield, but not against pure STR builds with a shield. For that, you're gonna need more firepower: the Fire Blow.

Fire Blow:
Not only it takes less time to cast but it does a hell of a lot of damage. Only one problem: unlike frozen spear, if you get killed before you deal all the 9 hits, the rest of the hits are cancelled. Fire Blow is the most efficient way of killing a warrior/chinese bladder (or well you can just cast meteor and pray for it to not get blocked).

Invisible:
Nothing is better than a surprise attack. Specially when you can 1 shot. Because wizards can get 1 shot, this skill gives you the chance to attack first and therefore to not get 1 shot. Whenever you are jobbing or PvPing, this skill is essential. Always cast it before you attack.

Fire Trap:
Plant a trap, go invis, sit back and watch. That's all. This skill is just great for jobbing or CTF, you can set a trap outside a gate/on a bridge/on a corridor/ wherever people will most likely walk in and wait. It outdamages fire bolt, so if you wanna kill someone in a totaly safe way, this is what you need.

Lightning Shock:
If you have to 3 shot someone in order to kill him, since in that time he's gonna kill you, better just cast this skill and get 80% chances of winning.

Fire Bolt and Meteor:
Against chinese glaviers, bows and against rogues, these two are your best skills. Purely high damage. A chinese glavier has a lot of HP, enough to resist fire bolt, but not meteor. These two kills are your main damage dealing nukes everywhere, so don't forget about them.

Earth Shock and Snow Wind:
Finaly, the skills you're gonna use at mass group PvP (fortress wars). These are the skills that allow you to get that massive number of kills, along with meteor and chain lightning.

3.2-Your Survivability:

You'll sometimes get owned at 1 vs 1 even with all those tricks I thaught you. It's natural that a wizard gets killed easily, you're public enemy n°1, remember? It's simply because you get 1 shot by everyone else and because your skills take longer to cast. But don't be disapointed: remember that at group PvP no one gets more kills than you if you play correctly. At Fortress Wars, guilds depend on wizards to get their kills. At CTF you will get a lot of tickets. Remember, you can 1 shot everyone, everyone can 1 shot you. Play smart and you'll be the best.

Post subject: Re: The Battle Wizard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:36 pm 
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Because you'll be casting more than you will be using your regular attack, you really don't have to worry about attack rating or block ratio TOO much. Yes, it's helpful to have, but INT and STR will always be what you need to focus on.

Nice guide but what do you mean with you don't have to worry about the ar cuz you're using skills. AR also applies to skills. The lvl 80 nukes have a 200 difference between min/max, that's quite some damage when it's only 1.1-1.3k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:47 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

I really don't know where I was going with that.

I'll correct it in a bit because I have something else I want to add, but in the meantime, what I meant was that Attack Rating, while useful, isn't the most important thing to use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:08 pm 
Ex-Staff

Atleast at lower lvl's cuz it's not that big of an increase, but at 8D and higher I would start looking at 100% blue ar increase and decent white one. It really helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:04 am 

Well it might be beneficial to get Shield Bash, and possibly the sprinting assualt attack (w/e its actual name is) And maybe some buffs for your friends :P. Not much of a point of leveling a class all the way to 100, and not using anything. Neither of those skills are meant for damage, but rather defense and buying a little more time to live.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:56 pm 
Advanced Member

Nice guide, you should make the headings bold, or a different colour to make them stand out.

Retired from SRO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:11 pm 
Banned User

A wizard warrior, interesting build..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:38 pm 
Loyal Member

get the axe skills for fast bleed/stun+sprint, shield kb, maybe 2h kd to escape, get buffs/skins too when you need to run

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:26 pm 

cant wait for to see your battle cleric !!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:55 pm 
Forum Legend

skimmed through, the guide looks nice, but bold/italics and color on words as well as images would make it more appealing ;)

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:18 am 
Elite Member

Cool guide but make the headings bold as Puma said :D

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:44 pm 

Guide is good, but make it look nice; Images, Colors, Bold text, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:27 am 
Loyal Member

your chars aren't even found on rev6, and this guide is Farking shitty its not even funny you said your 73 big deal. Its a way different game at cap when people do care about their gear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:30 am 

I can see that you took some time and effort to do this guide, so nice try but... No. You said wizard should be sub warrior in order to wear HA, well I have a lot of issues with that.

1. Wearing robes doesn't mean that your magical defense will be high enough. If that were the case, Chinese int would not need snow shield against other ints.
2. You have sacrificed healing power, debuffs, and speed/noise just to be able to wear HA, and yet you said not to get any warrior skills. They do have several skills that could help in pvp, for example sprint assault, shield trash which can knockback and give dull, as well as the d-axe skill that can give stun/bleed.
3. Skills:
-I would rather have mana drain than drought, because drought has a much longer cooldown time.
-Lightning shock is 10 seconds, not 20.
-Lightning damage is the weakest nuke :S why would you want to get charged lightning?
-I'd rather have lightning shock than impact because the cooldown is way longer for impact.
-How come you didn't mention life control/turnover?
4. Pve will not be that easy for a wiz/warrior, due to the lack of speed, noise, and heals. Even if you get speed potions to train, you'll still get mobbed and you won't be able to heal yourself.
5. 20% for mana is too low. At lvl 88 I was using XL and my setting was like 40 or 60 (don't remember which), and I still ran out of mp sometimes using light armor.
6. Pvp:
-Chinese int using snow shield will never die to just 1 nuke, unless you've already done mana drain and used up all their mp. I'd rather use fire bolt than frozen spear because fire bolt is stronger and casts faster, and if 1 of the frozen spear hits is blocked you'll do practically no damage anyway (you won't hit 5k 5k 5k with a snow shield on, plus they have enough hp to tank it). Most Chinese are also immune to ice.
-For warlocks if you can hit them with 1 fire bolt without getting stunned, they'll probably die, unless they have an incredibly good set. Of course, you might die too if their reflect works >=(.
-If you had a cleric sub and wore a cleric rod and shield, you could tank nukes.
-Fire blow is great for both str and int when the other person has no mp due to mana drain.
-Invisible doesn't work very well because many people have it pk2 edited.
-Fear is nice, but remember that people can pill it off or use a fire wall to tank you.
-Most higher lvl chars can tank more than 3 nukes, especially if they have snow shield/bless/mana skin.

I don't know how much experience you've had pvping with a wizard, but I think you have seriously overestimated the power of their nukes at higher levels. Yes, they can pvp, but not without maximizing their sub for support.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:46 am 
Casual Member

Very interesting. I might very well play this for my next character. I'm playing in Phoenix as well btw. ^^

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:55 pm 

Oryx wrote:
I can see that you took some time and effort to do this guide

Failure

He just took Guthix's wizard/bard guide, removed the screenies and the stuff about bards, and pasted some warrior stuff over it.