Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: [GUIDE] Pure STR Glaive/Bow Dual Weapon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:24 am 

Introduction:

This build is not very common and not many people actually bother to try it. I wanted to show that it actually might be good, I also wanted to encourage people to make up weirdly skilled characters like I did and end up being good with them. Oh, and there definitely haven't been any other guides of this build and I have quite a lot of experience with it so I wanted to make one.

Why should you make something like this?

This actually is a good question. Although you do get some advantages over other possible builds you will also face some big disadvantages which will be annoying. To make something like this you must be fully aware of them. I did it because I wanted to try something new and and I simply liked both weapons. I didn't want to play just with one of them when I can have two. Having two weapon makes the character more universal.

Pros:
Higher HP than other STR characters
High attack rating because of pacheon passive skill and hawk buff.
Good mag. defense because of Fire buff and heuksal 15 sec def. increase.
A lot of disruptive skills including bow knock back combo
High damage and killer crits

Cons:
Lower Phy defense than most of other STR characters
No snow shield, that makes it hard for you to tank multiple opponents
No constant shield use (more about that in the PvP section)
Slow (no speed increase buff)
Lower parry ratio than other characters with Light mastery
Switching from bow to glaive is hard thus making the build not lag friendly (not noob friendly too)

Gear, Skills and Stat points

Armor to use:

The best possible choice would be having 2 sets. Armor for STR opponents/monsters and Garment for INT. Unfortunately usually this isn't possible. Having a fully pimped set will cost you a fortune and having 2 of them is just insane. This leaves us with the second option which is using protector:

Protector is like the in between equipment. It is good for both phy and mag opponents.

You should look for stats on equipment in this order:
Whites: Parry ratio, Phy/Mag reinforce, Phy/Mag defense
Blues: STR, INT, Parry ratio increase, HP increase, MP/Durability increase

I cannot really say which is more important whites or blues but I guess it depends on how high each rating is. High STR/INT blues are probably the most important. They will increase your damage and defense.

Weapons:
Bow and a Glaive. It is self explanatory I believe :D. Since bow will most likely be more of a disruptive weapon than the one you will use to kill people with you might want to consider investing in a better Glaive if you are low on gold, nevertheless your final goal is to have to have both of these weapons pimped.

You should look for stats on weapons in this order:
Whites: Critical, phy. reinforce, phy. damage, attack rating, mag. reinforce, mag. damage.
Blues: STR, INT, attack rating increase, blocking ratio.

Shield: yes, you will also be needing a shield. Don't worry nothing fancy is needed here. You won't use it that much although it will be very useful at times. I recommend getting a your degree first tier shield with as good BR as possible or one degree lower SOS shield. Sealed shields have higher blocking ratio than normal. Of course if you are rich enough get the best shield you can. What I don't really recommend is to have a low level shield with really high BR. I don't know why but at least to me a 1lvl sun shield with 20 BR did a lot less blocks than a 90lvl shield with 12 br. I figured its because of the level although that does seem like bs. Also having a higher level shield increases your defense a lot more compared to level 1 shield.

Skills to level

I will divide it to two categories, essentials (SP friendly) and recommended skills(not so SP friendly but good to have) if a skill isn't mentioned on any of those lists you don't need it. Trust me you don't. Don't even bother asking.

Essential skills to this build:
Spoiler!

Recommended skills to have. Please note that skills listed in the essentials section are the core skills and leveling only those will make you quite weak compared to a fully farmed character.
Spoiler!

Stat points:
At each level you get 5 stat points. 2 of them distributes automatically. The other 3 you will be adding to STR. Simple as that. Adding STR points to your character will increases the damage of your crits which will be essential in PvP while also increasing your max HP.

[b]Playing with your character:

PvP: instead of writing the tactics for the build I used in PvP I will post the videos. Its easier to understand. Please note that my I am not good at making videos and they were made simply to show how to use the build.

Other tips:
Try not to use strong bow unless your opponent is stunned. You will be open for shots if you do. Practice switching to shield while grinding. I leveled few days with only ghost spears while switching to shield after every skill and it become natural to me :D. If you really suck at switching from bow to glaive you might want to consider only using heuksal skills and knock back combo. It also works.

PvE: depends on you. you have many skills and 2 weapons. You can grind with any of them. The fastest soloing way would probably be finding a spot with a lot of monsters and luring them onto you with mind bow skills and finishing them with ghost spears. Second best is fighting with only bow followed by only glaive.

This is it. You are ready to play now! I know not many people if any at all will actually try this after looking at the guide but from what I'm seeing there are some tips casual silkroad players should notice. Especially glaivers in general. The most spam soul spear skills and try to finish off with a ghost spear which is a tactic but still a rather poor one. There are better ways to play your characters. Constructive criticism is welcome, any addictions to the guide are too.

Credits:
Thanks to Tasdik and Puma60 because I used skill pictures from their guides, I couldn't be bothered to add all those. And mmosite for providing the host for the pictures.

The End

or is it?

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] Pure STR Glaive/Bow Dual Weapon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:45 am 

You have mentioned a couple of negatives and I'm not trying to be overly critical here, but there are a couple more that are quite significant. I think the most important point is that Glaive and Bow are probably the weapons that have the most in common. They rely on stuns, knock-backs and high crits to kill. This limits the advantages of using two weapons as they pretty much do exactly the same thing, the Bow just has the extra range, a bit higher crit and you get a bit of extra health from Glaive. Perhaps it might be worth the farming required SP for multiple weapons if they were more different, for example: Blade/Bow or Glaive/Blade since Blade has a significantly different play style (more debuffs, knock-down, shield). That being said, it would probably still be better to go Weapon/Fire/Force or Light or Ice due to the extra buffs/debuffs.

Another negative would be the effort required to pimp out two weapons to the point where they are of equal use. If your Glaive for instance is +7, but you could only get your Bow to +5, there would be little point in using your Bow, as it will do significantly less damage than the Glaive.

All this being said, if you enjoy the idea of switching weapons to mix up your fighting style, and don't mind the burden of less defence/speed/debuffs and pimping two weapons out, then there's no reason not to give this build a go. The guide itself is well written and nicely set up, very clear and concise.

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] Pure STR Glaive/Bow Dual Weapon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:16 pm 

thanks. I actually agree, after the time I've spent playing this build I can see that it is inferior to a blade/glaive dual weapon or force bower. When I first started playing it and I started doing pretty good I was getting cocky and trying to say that this build is superior. Latter on I realized that its not the case. But like I've mentioned already this guide is good for glaivers. Especially the shield usage. When you said that glaive and bow are similar weapons I agree but only partly. Glaive has higher damage. Although its only a slight difference its quite noticeable because of the finisher ghost spear skill. What glaive lacks is disruptive skills. Bow has quite a lot better survivability because of the knock back combo. This is the main reason this build somewhat works. I have the damage a glaiver can do a long with survivability of a bower with knock back skills. Except for that, to be honest, the switching is not really a necessity. Oh and the last thing, damage difference between +5 bow and +7 glaive won't be that high to actually skip on using the other weapon. And again as I've already mentioned, if you're cheap get a pimped glaive.