Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:03 pm 
Addicted Member

The only good way i know to get money is just to grind, grind and oh yeah grind even more. (the higher you get the more money the drops are worth) invest as much time as you can in leveling instead of money making. the higher your level the easier it will be to get money anyway..the items you need are also more expensive but if you collect your items (shop) on time you will find cheap stuff.

the more you grind the more "chance for" drops, and if you got a second pc it should be a paradise stall and game at the same time. Never buy low level gear i still wonder why people buy gear between level 1 and 32 i always collected all my gear due to grinding, only sometimes had to buy a clean weapon never use elixirs on weapons NEVER sell elixirs if you plan to play longer. any weapon you can +3 or even higher is worth a lot more most of the times then the used elixirs (so its a great way to make money later)

NEVER but NEVER stall when you can grind.
Do trade jobs ONLY when you are bored of grinding.

if you can afford silk first thing to get is a gold ticket instead of a monkey the faster you will level the better your drops will be (the more money you will be able to sell them for) buy both if you can or try saving some silk till you hit level 42+ then buy both if you can if not ONLY get a gold ticket no need for grabbing gold if that slows you down..the more you kill the more drops you might get 1 drop might be worth 10times the gold you would have been grabbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:51 am 

Zing wrote:
Avenqer wrote:
A FREE game shouldn't be Blow your cash on virtual items so you can rock!

Then how else is JoyMax suppose to get their money?
Donations? No. So, they make money off from making up premium items, which supposedly gives the player more out of Silkroad Online.

About potions, you aren't necessarily required them to grind. During my early levels, I was poor, I've experience it. But, what do you do when you don't have the gold to buy potions? You sit down and recover magic points and health points the old fashion way, by pushing n! Or, hopefully you find some herbs on the ground.

I never really used potions until I was like level 22.

True, a good game like this does needs its pluses for the owners of the game. It's just a shame that you have to do that in order to speed up the game play.

As far as the sitting and playing instead of pots, if you are bored with grinding, then sitting to recharge isnt going to make things better, but a neccessary evil if neccessary.

After finally getting to Downhang, it is obvious now that its a matter of getting to the higher levels in order to get the money drops.

So with that, it appears that what needs to be done is just to grind out ANY type of character, get to high level ASAP, make the big drops/bucks and fuel you future master character?

oh well... time will teach LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:59 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

This I say as a low level newb that's was just trying to be able to pay for repairs and potions:

1. The in-game economy is fully unregulated. The NPCs set up a low anchor for every item, and that's it. This naturally favors a great separation between those that play a lot and/or know how to work the system (what items to flip, FI), and those that don't play much and/or don't know how to work the system. The real money aspect skews it further.

2. Don't keep up with the Joneses. As one poster mentioned about the wolf, some things that have a certain cool factor are designed to be more trouble than they're worth. Maybe you can keep up yours w/o real money added, but in less than three days of playing this game, I've come across five separate stalls with titles that stated it was for raising their pet. One of the nicer side-effects of a fully unregulated economy is that keeping up with the Joneses is a choice, not a requirement.

3. If your drops haven't been decent, saving is as bad as spending. I tried saving through the lower levels, just using drops and NPC items. I found myself sometimes unable to pay for potions. So I started attacking weak critters to get gold up for pots, then repeated that just before coming back to Jangan each time (around level 8). It helped with pots, but that's about it. I ended up blowing quest rewards on items for my new levels from NPCs.

Now, I check every stall. An item with nicer stats should be 2-10x NPC price, and stuck to not paying higher, even when it was only a few grand. Now, I spent quite a bit (150k is a good estimate), but much was wasted due to newb experimentation. Once I found some simple stats that really made a difference, I stuck to them (FYI, parry ratio and >= 10% more phys attack than my current weapon). Things with those last two tended not to be too expensive, though broke me a few times, but each time made up for it in quicker killing, fewer potions, and using up inventory space faster from drops (such that I'm still on the tiger and bandit quests, because I fill up on non-quest drops and so go to town to clean out).

I'm now making 5-10k off NPCs each time I come back to town (I keep equipment and tablets, but not stuff I can use a void rondo on, as low-lvl elements sell too cheap to worry about it), and have made around 12k stalling (only 20 minutes or so, too). If it keeps up, a mil shouldn't be far off, and will likely occur before my next level (15).

That's from a net loss each town trip to a 5k+ gain each and every time (even with loot being swiped sometimes as Avenger notes (the delay for others to pick up is awful quick when I'm swarmed, and awful long when I'm trying to nab what someone else abandoned ;)), not counting stalling; from starting level 14, and getting tired of how it was going, to being about 60% through it, and almost at 50k (it all took maybe two hours) and stuff to stall with overnight, So, I guess: don't categorically not buy stuff, or not use potions, etc., but make them count; making more than they cost you.

If you're not struggling to pay for your current setup, why get better, unless it's a deal too good to pass up? Likewise, if you are struggling, why not go broke to get something better? You can always go broke at the stalls. Always. Right down to arrows. Just do it in moderation, and with purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:32 am 

here are some tips for making serious money, and save you money in the future.
-dont buy a wolf, waste of a mil
-sp farm at lvl 16, get ur hands on a sos+3 or som bow, borrow one or watever, do it if u can, its well worth it
-destroy all the crap items u find, dont npc them, the elements like wind2, wind4, water4, earth6 cost a tons to get at high levels as mobs hardly drop these elements anymore, but most good stones require them
-dont waste those elements on low level stones (lvl 5 int stones use wind 2)
-use cheap crap gear on low levels, use sos weapons if u like, but buy them cheap or dont lose money on them
-dont do alchemy at low levels, dont make stones or use elixirs, just keep them and stockpile them (sell the tablets like int, str, challenge, stamina, people want these, let them waste their money)
-GET A SQUIRREL (this is required, makes leveling faster b/c u dont have to pick up ur crap and u arent tempted to leave alchemy material)

thats my 2 cents, i have millions at high levels and make many +5 weapons with my elixirs and elixirs i buy with the gold i earned, i only get richer by the day

Uranus: pure INT lvl 69 <retired>

Done SRO forever!!!

Post subject: Re: Guide to money making/keeping tips
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:37 pm 

solidsnake wrote:
(seriously, a one star trade is almost worthless to a high level thief, why thieve it?). Angst ridden kids love making your one star trading a nightmare in this game. :x

nah if you got like 6 30+ one star then you are at a 4star and you can return.. and i only do it if I can't find multistars... if more would multistar then ppl wouldn't waste their time on 1stars.. but they don't so 1stars have to pay the price. So blame the 50+ one star dudes. ;)

and about the money.. i really wouldn't know.. i started during the sorry-we-f.ucked-up-again event (around november '06) so i made like 4m of that..before i was even lvl 20+ and still making money of the special job suits and scrolls..

and since that i've not stalled once... just selling through global and normal chat. And keeping a eye on those 2...i get arround fine. .. also buying sos cheap and selling high gets you some mill's to get arround..

when i hear ppl that not even got enough money to telepot i really don't understand how they do it. It's like they buy what they really can't afford..

i can't afford sosun so i don't buy it. It's the same if you got like 1m you don't spend 950k on gear and then you can't buy potz ... buy what you can afford. Save money for when you are high lvl.. low lvl sos ain't really worth it. And dump npc.. npc is for potz and price check.. not to buy. Buy from stalls and personal exchange. I just bought c.rap dropt till like lvl 35 got my wolf at lvl 10 and saved up for my first good sword at lvl 45 so when i see ppl that ain't farming with a sos i think than don't come complaining when you ain't got money cause you are holding it...

<<This forum went all down the drain. It's such a waste. I'm no longer proud to be a member here so bye>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:44 pm 

Matrixman__ wrote:

I'll have to disagree with you there. It all depends on your build and how you grind. If you're a pure int that's constantly 1-hitting everything that you see, then no, you don't need a wolf. It would be a waste of money because the wolf would never get a shot in.

Now if you're pure STR like me, or if you grind on higher level mobs that you can't even 2-hit, a wolf becomes much more worth it. I always have my wolf out when I grind. She tanks really well and takes some of the attention off of me. I let her finish off mobs while I pick up my drops (so squirrels don't get it!)

Another thing they're good for is killing those annoying mobs that attack you when you're on a horse camping for a unique, or if you're a hunter use the wolf to chase down a lower level thief while you continue to protect your trader :D (that one happened to me once lol)

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:12 pm 

PR0METHEUS wrote:
Matrixman__ wrote:

I'll have to disagree with you there. It all depends on your build and how you grind. If you're a pure int that's constantly 1-hitting everything that you see, then no, you don't need a wolf. It would be a waste of money because the wolf would never get a shot in.

Now if you're pure STR like me, or if you grind on higher level mobs that you can't even 2-hit, a wolf becomes much more worth it. I always have my wolf out when I grind. She tanks really well and takes some of the attention off of me. I let her finish off mobs while I pick up my drops (so squirrels don't get it!)

Another thing they're good for is killing those annoying mobs that attack you when you're on a horse camping for a unique, or if you're a hunter use the wolf to chase down a lower level thief while you continue to protect your trader :D (that one happened to me once lol)

mostly agree with you accept the pure int part.. cause the wolf is great for
taking the first few hits especially when you don't have your nukes yet... just send in your wolf then start attacking the mob. Works great.. i always have my wolf out.. except when i was jobbing below lvl 45. And after lvl 30 you mostly grind mobs that you can 2 hit so the wolf always gets at least 1 hit off.. And i like the company too...:D:P

<<This forum went all down the drain. It's such a waste. I'm no longer proud to be a member here so bye>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:33 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Wow, I see a ton of misconceptions here, to correct them all I would have to write a tutorial that spans multiple pages...

ALWAYS have a wolf! It keeps shit off of you regardless of your build, takes forever to level, and you'll appreciate it at higher levels ONLY if it's near your own level. At lower levels, while training a wolf, keep it away from ("strong") things that can hit you from a distance and stay off the roads that trades come through. At higher levels, I recommend keeping the animal HP potions (ALWAYS x-large, regardless of pet level) bound to your mouse-wheel, or rebind the mouse-wheel keyboard key from x to ` (to the left of the "1" key) if you don't have one and ALWAYS keep an eye on it's health. Unless you're decked out in SOM (build has LITTLE to do with how well you tank monsters, your equipment has more of an impact), your wolf can tank better than you and can take multiple hits without potting, and you can easily keep it alive by keeping your focus on the game. There comes a point where "50k" isn't much anyway, but if your wolf dies multiple times, then it gets expensive, so watch its health.

If you're farming at low level, go ahead and invest in some gear (it's the only time you'll really be able to afford SOM/SOSUN sets). When I was farming, over the span of six months, I slowly but surely invested in my gear and got to the point where I could grind at level 16 for three hours on ghost/devil bugs without going through an entire stack of HP potions, and I'm pure INT. Near the end of my farming session, the only thing that could really kill me in that gear were scorpions/flowers. One thing I did for gold when I had excess and had a 9 gap (farming) is I brought no-name wolves up to level 16 and sold them for 1.1 to 1.2M. It took a little while, but there are people who would rather have a level 16 wolf than a level 1 wolf for a mere 100-200K. Some people like 40M SOM bows, I picked up a SOSUN blade for about 18M, blued it, and +'ed it. It broke the bank in the process, but it WAS well worth it when I was killing devil bugs in about 3-4 hits, coupled with SOM armor that I gathered over the months. This kind of farming is only for those committed to the game, though.

Break anything that doesn't have good blue/crit/parry/plus/etc for elements. Things like Wind II, Wind IV, and Earth VI can sell for over 2K per unit, sell the rest for 2-10X the NPC price depending on quality (unless it's a SEAL item, then you can get more. NEVER destroy a seal item, you'll only be robbing yourself).

Too often do I see people trying to exchange me, begging for "10k". If I was that broke, I would go to the bandit stronghold and pick up all the gold and items that people leave laying on the floor, break stuff down for Wind II, and sell that in Hotan for 2K or more a piece.

Write down the NPC prices, print them up, memorize the prices, etc, and realize when someone is underpricing a good item. I picked up a level 60 spear with great critical and mag attack for about 800K that I am going to use, but by the time I'm done pimping it, it'll be worth over 10M and it's damn near ready now with all the blues and pluses that I've already put on it fairly easily and using only elements and elixir that I've saved up. It's the third tier of 7th degree so it's "better than SOS" so to speak and I'm confident that it'll sell when I am no longer using it.

1-star trade runs yield more gold as you level up and can hold more stuff. Level 50 players don't often do multi-star trade runs because a level 80 thief can still 1-hit them. "popping" takes a little more effort to pull off than "pressing the 1 key".

I don't have millions upon millions of gold, but I generally have enough to buy pots, decent gear, and level my guild.

- Omnipotent Guild

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:20 pm 

Destroyer rondos can be your friend.

Say you get lots of white items when your grinding, but they are so horrible that no one would buy them.

NPCing the item gives you some money, but not the most for the item.

Like most alchemy, destroyer rondos give varying elements on whats the %ages on the items are.

One item I broke down gave me 29 Wind II. The same type item (Level, Name) was broken but I got 12 Wind II.

At 40g a piece, and the possibility of them giving you 29 items that sell for 2k. They are worth it.