Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: CTF for Dummies (and Getting Rich Quick) v1.0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:30 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Welcome to Capture the Flag for Dummies. I just signed up to this forum (although I have used it since SRO began), and this is my first guide. I was surprised to find the lack of CTF guides here, and, since I believe it to be an important aspect of the game (along with fortress wars, which needs more guides as well <hint hint>...), I am writing one now. Please comment, as I welcome any suggestions.

I first learned of the power of CTF from a friend who was plvling me. I had tried it once before, but it was bugged then, and I hadn't touched it since. This friend told me to try it again, and I was hooked as soon as I started. In 20 minutes, I had gained as much exp as a small quest, not to mention a few tickets as well. I even had some good fun, which was welcomed break from the regular cycle of grinding. Now I'm here to tell you some basics about how to play CTF, along with some secrets to using it to get some good pocket change (in SRO gold, of course).

Let me give you an outline of what I wish to cover:

1) Signing up for Capture the Flag

2) Starting out

3) Tips to help your team win

4) Tickets

5) Getting rich quick with CTF

Now let's begin.

Signing up for Capture the Flag

First off, you need to be level 20, so if you aren't there yet, start grinding. I also recommend you get your character higher than level 20, but by the way CTF is made, even level 20's can have fun and get a few tickets.

After reaching level 20, wait for a green line with words to pop up saying that CTF will start in 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute (it happens every two hours).

Now go to So-OK to sign up. Click "Capture the Flag Match Registration"

Starting Out

When the match starts, you will be teleported to an arena.

Run into the back hall (circled in blue) and buff up. If you have a fast computer, have party settings set to Auto-Share before the match starts, then quickly invite everybody when you are teleported into CTF. If not, type "party plz" (*1*) in the chat bar every so often to notify others you are not in a party and wish to be in one. Unless your group is extremely ignorant, you will soon have a party made up of all the players on your side.

Now that you have buffed, either go out and lure in a single mob, or stay inside and wait for one of your party members to do it. Once it is inside, play as the position you usually do in a party. I highly suggest that pure int builds stay inside the back hall, as you will not have enough hp to survive if your nuke attracts more than one mob. Most likely, if this situation comes upon you, your team will leave you to your demise, so make the best of it. Unless your party has a much higher average level than the monsters you are fighting, "making the best of it" means running out to a far corner and allowing yourself to die. DO NOT run into the back hallway if you have more than 3 mobs on you, because that will most likely overwhelm your team, kill them all, and lower your chances of winning significantly. I have seen too many CTFs ruined because some noob could not handle 2 mobs, started running around screaming his head off (gathering more mobs in the process), then eventually running into the center of all of the other players and dying, causing the mobs to immediately aggro onto everybody else and kill them. DO NOT do that.

To review: Go into the back hall, buff up, get into a party, blow up mobs, make sure you do not attract more mobs than your team can handle.

Tips to Help Your Team Win

Here are a list of tips I have learned from my many CTF games:

1) Play your part. If you are a European, you should know what this means and how to do it. If you are Chinese, just do your stuff; if you don't know what to do, use your STR/INT ratio to determine your role.

2) Resurrect your friends if you have res. This keeps the party at maximum strength.

3) If you are a buffer, try to buff the party before a clash with the other team. It makes a world of a difference.

4) Picture this: the other team has the flag, and now they are sitting at your gate waiting for it to open. In such a situation, DO NOT PICK UP THE KEY!!!!! Doing so will allow the other team to come in. Wait till your mages and rogues nuke them all down, then pick up the key, buff your team, and charge over to the other side. If you pick up the key right away, you are basically letting the other team take over, as they are probably buffed and totally ready and organized, while your team is still in mob killing mode. Don't pick up the key right away; it put your team off to a good start if you don't.

5) Don't worry if your team is getting clobbered, there is still a chance. First, try to res at the same time as your teammates. To do this, use the chat box to coordinate res times. When you do res, you have pretty much two choices: run into the back hall, or make a break for the other team's area and the flag.

#1~~If you do not have a speed buff, I suggest going into the back. Quickly buff up if none of the other team is there, and WAIT. When the other team comes, make a last stand. If your teammates come back with you, shout "Spartaaaaaaa!!!!" and rush in for an epic final battle, giving your all in the fight to the bloody death. Res your teammates when possible; if you stay alive long enough and take out enough of the other team, you might even consider running out and finishing off the rest of them. Also, you can stealth and run for the opponents side if the opportunity comes. The cons of this strategy are that the other team is sitting outside and could overwhelm you at any second; a single earthshock from a mage can take out your little group.

#2~~If you think you have a chance, make a break for the other team's side immediately after you res--it works best when you res because you have 5 seconds to get a head start. Turn on your speed buff as soon as possible; if you make it around the first corner, you probably won't be one-shot. If you think you have enough time, turn on de-stealth so that you don't get caught by hidden players. Once you are over to the other side, turn a sharp left, buff up, set traps, etc., and wait. Don't go for the flag first because the other team is probably close behind. Sit just past the corner so that you can click on the other players, but they can't click on you.

This way, you can pretty much guarantee that you hit first. Once you take out everybody who followed you, you can either wait for them to res and then kill them again, or pick up the flag in hopes that you will draw attention to yourself, making a sacrifice so that your team can res, organize, and buff. In either situation, turn on stealth if you can so that you will have a better chance of taking the other team by surprise. Remember, the point of doing all this is to give your team as much time as possible. Cons are that a firetrap set by an enemy mage anywhere in the hall or at an entrance can and probably will one hit kill you and render your time wasted.

Tickets

Tickets are the main reason you should play CTF. You turn 10 of them in to So-OK, and you get special items in return. To get one, you must 1) win CTF, or 2) kill a player on the other team. Winning CTF gives 1 ticket, so I suggest not concentrating as much on that as taking out players on the other team. Every kill yields 1 ticket. With an Sox weapon (or full Sox set), I do not doubt you could easily get 50 or more tickets in a single round.

Getting Rich Quick with CTF

Now, the secret: STALL THE ITEMS YOU GET FROM THE TICKETS. If you are lucky and get something better than a grain, congratz, stall it, don't use it. On my server, shield elixers and parry scrolls go for 100-200k, while weapon elixers, HP scrolls, etc. can sell from 300-600k. Bingo. Your "lack of gold" problem is fixed. No more grinding or wind2 element selling. With CTF ticket items, noobs like you can get a wolf/sox in no time. The money you get will be enough to start you on the buying-low-selling-high schemes. Even leveling a guild is no problem anymore for a level 20-30.

If you have a hard time getting tickets with your warrior, cleric/bard, pure str Chinese, etc., start a new character as a wizard or rogue or bard (Chinese nukers work well too, although they take quite a while to get started). For this character, get cleric as your subclass (or lvl up the force mastery tree; for bards, I suggest wizard as subclass) so that you will be most useful in CTF. Reasons? Wizards and rogues get the most tickets. Wizards 1 hit kill and do awesome area damage, while rogues also 1 hit, but sacrifice the area damage for better stealth, range, and hp. Bards have the fastest nukes--which helps a lot when dueling nukers--but often fail to 1 hit (thus the wizard side). Again, a Chinese nuker has the potential to do just as well as European nukers, but unless you want to spend a lot of extra time on this side character, wizards and rogues (and bards) are the right way to go.

Thanks for reading this guide. Again, please comment. I will edit and add on to the guide when I see something good.

Last edited by Vert3x on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: CTF for Dummies (and Getting Rich Quick) v1.0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:41 pm 
Forum God

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thing, but it looks nice. One thing I noticed was a small typo,

Vert3x wrote:
After reaching level 20, wait for a blue line with words to pop up saying that CTF will start in 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute (it happens every two hours).

It's a green line ; )

Anyways, I'll read the rest later. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:44 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Tasdik wrote:
Haven't had a chance to read the whole thing, but it looks nice. One thing I noticed was a small typo,

Vert3x wrote:
After reaching level 20, wait for a blue line with words to pop up saying that CTF will start in 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute (it happens every two hours).

It's a green line ; )

Anyways, I'll read the rest later. :)

Fixed. Thanks for the fast comment :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:41 pm 
Banned User

Nothing new , I know better way to make money from ctf:
make 25lvl ff bow/glavie20 with light/ice/cold/force ff with full sox gear and sox bow n never lvl up him so him could own in ctf and make loads of tickes btw force is for ressing opponent and kill them again xP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:56 pm 

very nice detailed guide
two thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 am 

i wonder if they fixed the error, where you register for CTF with a low level toon on the same account, then come back on you level 1000, then you end up going to CTF that your low level toon signed up for and you end up with low level players and low level mobs, then you could win loads of tickets.

But, i don't kill low level, but........i also don't kill higher levels cuz too many are noobs, and i'm a wiz/bard, not really good for pvp, and i farted.

level - 1000
guild - The_300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:06 am 
Forum God

KylieMinogue wrote:
i wonder if they fixed the error, where you register for CTF with a low level toon on the same account, then come back on you level 1000, then you end up going to CTF that your low level toon signed up for and you end up with low level players and low level mobs, then you could win loads of tickets.

But, i don't kill low level, but........i also don't kill higher levels cuz too many are noobs, and i'm a wiz/bard, not really good for pvp, and i farted.

You don't get tickets for that though. I tried it. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 am 

Very nice guide :)
Do u know what lvl ragnes are?
20-30, 30-40, 40-50 or what?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:27 pm 
Forum God

Cepiii wrote:

Generally you SHOULD be fighting people within 5ish levels of yourself.

Problem is that if not enough people sign up for CTF then you could end up fighting level 90's when your only level 70. *don't remind me :banghead: *

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:16 pm 
Loyal Member

^.^ Gud guide.

Playing Jade Dynasty
2x Lupin Wdfmymoney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:22 pm 

How long would it take to make 250-500 million? Anywhere in that range is how much a 98 staff costs on my server...clean!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:40 pm 
Advanced Member

1337 paint skills. Nice guide, well detailed, but tbh most of this is common sense.

Retired from SRO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:11 pm 

Tasdik wrote:
Cepiii wrote:

Generally you SHOULD be fighting people within 5ish levels of yourself.

Problem is that if not enough people sign up for CTF then you could end up fighting level 90's when your only level 70. *don't remind me :banghead: *

Today i had to pvp one of the Knight's-with-sun-D10-bows on our server, but i'm nly lvl 70 ><

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:46 pm 
Loyal Member

i fight 80-90s on my 60 xbow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:18 am 
Loyal Member

oh, if possible, try to make a fully pimped lvl 32 wiz or rogue (cler subs) or pure str bower 32 fire/cold/light/pach
at that lvl, wizzes and rogues 1 hit everything and can fairly tank with good gear
a bower will amazingly tank all builds (even wizzes) if all its gear is sox+5

Come and play Jade Dynasty with me!
In USA-East The Billows, my name is AznFury. My Inductor ID is 6440043X060206013007425Z3f9d22
Copy the code when you make your first character and get lots of free stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:11 am 
Casual Member

yeh everyone is mention full sox and sox weapons.... in my server i barely ever even see a som. GL getting full sox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:06 am 
Loyal Member

ponguin wrote:
yeh everyone is mention full sox and sox weapons.... in my server i barely ever even see a som. GL getting full sox

what server are you on?
b/c there's always low lvls with full sox gear.

In USA-East The Billows, my name is AznFury. My Inductor ID is 6440043X060206013007425Z3f9d22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 pm 
Casual Member

AznFury wrote:
ponguin wrote:

what server are you on?
b/c there's always low lvls with full sox gear.

im on Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:10 am 
Loyal Member

maybe not on newer servers but definitely on the older ones, people got ctf chars decked out with full SoX gear.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:00 pm 

wantux wrote:
Nothing new , I know better way to make money from ctf:
make 25lvl ff bow/glavie20 with light/ice/cold/force ff with full sox gear and sox bow n never lvl up him so him could own in ctf and make loads of tickes btw force is for ressing opponent and kill them again xP

Yeah, but this Guide is not about the gold only. If you do CTF on your main, your XP and amount of gold will be increased and your own experience about how to control and play your character will be developed.

Great guide, keep it up!

Image VelvetMoon*GirlSetsFire
Nirkana