Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: I Want You! [BMS files]
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:39 pm 
Loyal Member

penfold1992 wrote:
hahaha thats awshum! dude if there was texture on the pot as well xD
looks like ill be flinging a fork in no time!

Actually, there sort of is a texture. I was too lazy to unwrap the coordinates though, so I did it the quickie way.

I made a quick little site for this project:
http://sites.google.com/site/opensilk/Home

So far, I've posted a preliminary spec and the MilkShape importer.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:56 pm 
Common Member

Cruor you are awesome.

You should only make gui for your programs and that way it would be cool(no one will use console aplication nowadays)

To files description - it would be cool if you make ss of it in XVI hexeditor and marked the parts and add what they do(if you like) and/or uknown parts. Its really hard to read program from someone else and try to figure out how it works.

To make fully working converter need to know complete file as well. Btw to bones: 3ds max is using same naming but in program interface, while here it is inside skeleton file.

[Release]DDJ/DDS converter
All europe quest

Inactive.
Send me pm if something is not working. But reply may take longer.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:03 pm 

cruor im confused how u made that teapot.... the part you cut out in the texture file was the end of the blade, well midway... so wouldnt the pot be technically floating? how did u make it?

thanks in advanced

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:37 pm 
Loyal Member

JanChlpik wrote:
Cruor you are awesome.

You should only make gui for your programs and that way it would be cool(no one will use console aplication nowadays)

To files description - it would be cool if you make ss of it in XVI hexeditor and marked the parts and add what they do(if you like) and/or uknown parts. Its really hard to read program from someone else and try to figure out how it works.
I'll try and make a diagram later. As far as the GUI goes, I'm more focused on completing my spec and cleaning up my spaghetti code.

penfold1992 wrote:
cruor im confused how u made that teapot.... the part you cut out in the texture file was the end of the blade, well midway... so wouldnt the pot be technically floating? how did u make it?

thanks in advanced
The teapot mesh has texture coordinates that tell the game how the texture maps onto the teapot. The teapot could go anywhere in that texture, I just chose the spot where it fit the best without obstructing other textures.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:53 am 

SRO Machinima? Anyone? :D

Thats just awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:14 pm 
Loyal Member

Got some updated code. It's a fair bit more elegant, but I'm still not really happy with it. I plan on turning it into a library eventually. This time around, it's in C.

bms.h
Spoiler!
main.c
Spoiler!

I've attached the updated executable. Now it simply accepts a list of files as input, you can use a wildcard to convert all files in the directory.

Also, I've had a look at BSK files. I plan on figuring those out, then I'll probably move onto BMT and then back to BMS to finish up what is unknown. Then I'll have a look at BSR files. Also, I'll probably be moving on to the MS3D text format if I do any more command line converters, because Wavefront OBJs don't support skeletal animation.

So far, I have gotten the basic structure of the BSK joints. Each joint is as follows:
Code:
float[4] - a quaternion describing rotation relative to the parent
float[3] - a translation vector relative to the parent
float[4] - a quaternion describing rotation relative to the origin
float[3] - a translation vector relative to the origin
float[4] - a quaternion describing rotation, unknown purpose
float[3] - a translation vector, unknown purpose

Attachments:
File comment: BMS converter
bms.zip [3.6 KiB]
Downloaded 1472 times

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 pm 

Cruor wrote:
Also, I've had a look at BSK files. I plan on figuring those out, then I'll probably move onto BMT and then back to BMS to finish up what is unknown. Then I'll have a look at BSR files. Also, I'll probably be moving on to the MS3D text format if I do any more command line converters, because Wavefront OBJs don't support skeletal animation.

Meaning editing .ban is only a few steps away in MS3D format,
can't help but hoping for a possibility to create entirely custom skills.

Didn't have any luck trying to open .ban files with existing programs,
couldn't find a single one supporting JMX (JoyMaX?), JMXV (JoyMaXV?), BAN (B ANimation?).

However I noticed that SimpleViewer plays the animation of that penguin also,
meaning it could possibly play .ban files given a link to a character?
And that would mean the movements will be somehow translatable seeing SimpleViewer can open them,
thus being able to give more info about those movements.

Locations explain themselves:
Spoiler!

From there it should be possible to just flag those locations,
place them at the right spot, and enjoy the magic.
Seeing I know nothing of coding it's probably a little harder as I make it sound.

I do realize this is no useful information sofar, just trying to help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:59 pm 
Loyal Member

Skayunor wrote:
Didn't have any luck trying to open .ban files with existing programs,
couldn't find a single one supporting JMX (JoyMaX?), JMXV (JoyMaXV?), BAN (B ANimation?).
B stands for binary, no idea about the V. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that every format save DDJs is a proprietary format. I've actually been looking documentation for other formats and MilkShape's SDK to make sense of what's there. I didn't even know what a quaternion was when I started looking at the BSK format. I kept thinking, "Why are there four floats for three axes?"

Skayunor wrote:
However I noticed that SimpleViewer plays the animation of that penguin also,
meaning it could possibly play .ban files given a link to a character?
And that would mean the movements will be somehow translatable seeing SimpleViewer can open them,
thus being able to give more info about those movements.
For sure. SimpleViewer probably converts all the files to the proper formats after they have been created in their respective programs. I'm interested in recreating SimpleViewer (or perhaps something more similar to WoW Model Viewer) when this is all said and done.

Skayunor wrote:
Locations explain themselves:
Spoiler!

From there it should be possible to just flag those locations,
place them at the right spot, and enjoy the magic.
Seeing I know nothing of coding it's probably a little harder as I make it sound.
Well the locations are pretty standard, a lot are in common with standard UT skeletons. I haven't looked to see how the BSK files define their structure, but that should be simple after everything else. The way the BMS files are set up though, you have to have the full skeleton to give proper bone indices to vertices.

Skayunor wrote:
I do realize this is no useful information sofar, just trying to help.
Any help is nice. You seem to be pretty talented, but I saw you say you quit Silkroad in the other thread. If you are interested enough try figuring out the binaries, you've got my support. I'll probably be on MSN quite a bit after this week if you or anyone has questions pertaining to the formats. Just no one ask me about changing their horses to Uruchi. Plz. :P

As far as progress, still working on BSKs. I understand that the joints are defined by a position vector and a quaternion, but the quaternions are giving me trouble. They seem to be out of order or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:40 pm 

holy shit, thats nice. i always hoped for something like this and now my wishes come true^^

really good work cruor :)

Cruor wrote:
Updated the code. It's still a mess, but now it handles texture coordinates and includes vertex normals with the faces. I've also attached the updated executable. Now you can omit the second argument and the output will be automatically thrown in output.obj.
Spoiler!
Here's another render, for fun:

this program don't work for me, do i need windows-vista or any special files for it? the others work(bms.exe, milkshape-plugin), but i dount know how to get the textures at the models, do i have to convert the ddj-files into an other fileformat before?

EDIT: ok, finally i got it^^ thx for this nice programms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:49 pm 

Cruor, why don't you just make your own game XD, or server or something i bet you could do it...

(")_(")

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:24 am 

obeck do u mind stating what you need to view these images, they will be helpful to me thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:29 pm 

penfold1992 wrote:
obeck do u mind stating what you need to view these images, they will be helpful to me thanks

which images, do you mean the textures?

i use the ddj-viewer to convert the ddj-files to dds-files, after this i use the program milkshape 3d and import the bms-files with the bms-plugin for cruor which i found on his project-site. after the importing i select the parts which i want to give the texture at "Groups" at the right site of the program, after this go to "Materials" click on new than at the upper <none> and open the texture-file(dds) for the selected parts. (the problem is, the filenames of the texture have to be not longer as 8 characters else it wont work)now click on 'Assign'. after you have given every part a texture you can export the model and open it up with a 3d-rendering program. i used a 3d-max 30day-trail-version.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:22 pm 

Cruor wrote:
JanChlpik wrote:
penfold1992 wrote:
you can put faces into the game because the face is the shape of... well.. a face :S
so putting a face onto a face is not that complicated.
say you wanted to have a fork in your hand instead of a glavie thou.... you would need a fork skeleton (in shape of a fork) a faces wrapped around it to make it look like a fork.
this is where you need to edit it in 3d and then export it back. im not sure how thou sorry

Yes you are right need skeleton to make it work properly

Actually, changing weapons is cake, because they only have one bone.

Tea anyone?

I wrote an importer and exporter for MilkShape, but I want to clean them up a bit before I release them.

could you tell me if you have finished the exporter already, or how long do you think it could take until you have finished it? because i would like to make some models/items for sro.
or could you send me the uncleaned version with a little howto/tutorial what i have too do/look for to make for example a sword and put it in the game. because when i try to edit my bsr-files the client crash. or do i have to exchange a existing item for a new item and let the bsr-file unmodified? and how to set bones, when i importing an existing model in milkshape it doesn't show he the bones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:14 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

I can't download this MilkShape plugin. Could you upload it in an other site?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:47 pm 

Not to be a necromancer or such, but has anyone found a solution to this yet? Nobody has some friends at Joymax that could tip us off on how to convert to *.bms?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:23 pm 

Cruor wrote:
penfold1992 wrote:
hahaha thats awshum! dude if there was texture on the pot as well xD
looks like ill be flinging a fork in no time!

Actually, there sort of is a texture. I was too lazy to unwrap the coordinates though, so I did it the quickie way.

I made a quick little site for this project:
http://sites.google.com/site/opensilk/Home

So far, I've posted a preliminary spec and the MilkShape importer.

Are you still working on this project?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:18 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

May it be possible, that you can reup the infos somewhere? Cuz the googlesite isn'T available anymore. Or did you remove it yourself?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:42 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Is this project dead? No news or anything about this. Its really a visionary project tho. Anyone have the plugins for the bms converter? Please send it to me, it would be really appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:51 am 
Loyal Member

Mostly dead. I was able to get the skeleton loaded and the model fully rigged, but I got rid of all that stuff a long time ago. I've recently considered revisiting this problem, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Rest assured though, if I end up posting any more code, it won't look like that garbage up above. I didn't understand pointers and dereferencing when that was written, haha.

Drew Benton did some awesome work with the navmesh files, and another guy was able to find out a bit more about the BMS format, regarding the collision data. I'd link to their thread, but I don't think that website is kosher on these forums. Drew's name is pushedx on those forums though, if you want to search around.

fanste wrote:
May it be possible, that you can reup the infos somewhere? Cuz the googlesite isn'T available anymore. Or did you remove it yourself?
Not sure what happened to the Google site, but if I do any more work on this I'll make sure to post specs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:35 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

I think Drew posted his works of navmesh in epvpers, or maybe in this forum. I can't remember which. But, as I remember, Drew stopped working on that because he's on something else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:42 pm 
Site Contributor

hmm cruor, you need to export all of the sro models, go touch up with some turbosmooth ^_^ then make a movie out of them