Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Silkroad on Linux Ubuntu. -20/9/08 Update-
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:40 pm 

PR0METHEUS wrote:
JKMB wrote:
I have a slight problem with it atm,
...image...
As you can see the mouse cursor is below the button I wish to press by a considerable ammount, its just a little annoying because idk where im clicking, is there any way to fix this?

It's a little annoying, but before you run the SRO launcher, you have to hide the two toolbars on your Ubuntu screen. Click the arrow button on either side of the bar at the top (the bar with the Application, places, and system menus) and the bar at the bottom (next to the trash can). This will slide the two bars to the corner of the screen.

You just have to hide the panels BEFORE opening the SRO launcher.

@Sovereign - My system is set to full resolution, same resolution in wine, sro, and xorg.conf, and I have this problem too. I just hide my panels and everything is fine.

I haven't tried this, but maybe you can set the panels to "not always on top" or similar so the SRO screen can go "over top" of the panels... Hiding them works fine too.

Ah. Sorry i did not know of that method, never tried that before.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:34 pm 
Banned User

Thx Prometheus and Sovereign, problem solved. :D

Guild: N/A

* Venus: JKMB - lvl 27 INT S/S - Grinding / inactive
Guild: PureEntity
* Venus: JKME - lvl 51 STR Warrior/Cleric - Ress'd / active

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:48 pm 

i cant even view the silkroad website. Anyone know why?

Edit: Nvm got site working, currently installing it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09 pm 
Banned User

Hate to come and bug you guys for help again, but I have another small problem, when ever I look at the bard "Dance" skill animation my client crashes, I have attemtped to resolve this by changing the graphic settings in game and disabling things such as party buff status, but it doesnt seem to work, and once im within about 30m of a bard using dance, I get the "???" error and d/c, is there any possible fix for this? :(
Dont flame uBunut noop plys. :(

Guild: N/A

* Venus: JKMB - lvl 27 INT S/S - Grinding / inactive
* Venus: JKME - lvl 51 STR Warrior/Cleric - Ress'd / active

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:06 pm 
Casual Member

Hi,
Nice guide, though a bit too simplistic IMO (then again that's the most straight forward method to start playing ASAP).
I would like to mention that the latest release of Ubuntu (8.10, code name Intrepid Ibex) has an updated ATI binary driver available (the ones you install from the Proprietary Drivers Manager as suggested in this guide). Among other things, this driver is supposed to solve issues with Wine so playing SRO in Ubuntu on ATI hardware shouldn't be red flagged anymore.
If you use an older release then you should either:
- Head to ATI's download page for Linux drivers and CAREFULLY read the instructions from the wiki
- Give the Open Source drivers a shot, instructions for Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) here.

If you want to flame, take it to 4chan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:34 am 
Banned User

i have a lagging issue =[ it take about few second after i click to move then my char move anyone can help?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:35 am 

OlHybrid wrote:
Hi,
Nice guide, though a bit too simplistic IMO (then again that's the most straight forward method to start playing ASAP).
I would like to mention that the latest release of Ubuntu (8.10, code name Intrepid Ibex) has an updated ATI binary driver available (the ones you install from the Proprietary Drivers Manager as suggested in this guide). Among other things, this driver is supposed to solve issues with Wine so playing SRO in Ubuntu on ATI hardware shouldn't be red flagged anymore.
If you use an older release then you should either:
- Head to ATI's download page for Linux drivers and CAREFULLY read the instructions from the wiki
- Give the Open Source drivers a shot, instructions for Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) here.

If someone with an ATI card can test and confirm this, then i will unflag it. But i myself dont have an ATI so i can't.

JKMB wrote:
Hate to come and bug you guys for help again, but I have another small problem, when ever I look at the bard "Dance" skill animation my client crashes, I have attemtped to resolve this by changing the graphic settings in game and disabling things such as party buff status, but it doesnt seem to work, and once im within about 30m of a bard using dance, I get the "???" error and d/c, is there any possible fix for this? :(
Dont flame uBunut noop plys. :(

Some people have also had this problem in the past. I have no idea what causes it, but it is a bug. Check a few pages back, some people were talking about it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:18 pm 
Banned User

weird bug as it is i stop lagging then lag then stop out of no where

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 pm 
Banned User

wen u install sro on ubuntu does the sro in ur window get delete and have to reinstall?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:35 am 

Hyphy wrote:
wen u install sro on ubuntu does the sro in ur window get delete and have to reinstall?

No, not at all. Ubuntu and Windows are installed on completely separate locations of your hard drive. They won't overwrite each other.

You could even install 10 different copies of SRO within Linux if you really wanted to. Not that you'd run them all at the same time, but different configurations you could switch between I suppose.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:55 pm 
Banned User

o ic weird how my window ask me if i want to replace my sro that already exist wen its not on there o-o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:14 pm 

If you are using Wine then when you install silkroad it should go to the virtual C drive and you shouldnt get an error, im guessing your doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:00 pm 

This is just a hunch, but for the person that's getting the error about overwriting Silkroad even though it's not installed, how did you install Ubuntu? Did you use Wubi? Granted, I've never used Wubi, but it's supposed to let you install Linux from within Windows as if it was just an application. It doesn't create partitions, so I assume it stores the Linux files right in your Windows NTFS drive (C: drive).

In that case, Linux might be trying to install SRO in the real C:\Program Files\Silkroad instead of the fake one that wine uses under /home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Silkroad...

Maybe someone who has used Wubi can confirm? Assuming Wubi was even used above.

Just a possible cause I thought of.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:23 pm 
Casual Member

Nice point, prometheus. Since ubuntu might be treated as a program, so windows will detect the additional installation of sro and the installer will get pissed off. Personally, I run xubuntu (awesome performance over windows), but I avoid wubi b/c off the
Potential for the above problem to happen. Props to evryone who is running Linux and plating sro, they truly are a perfect match!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:29 am 

Well even with Wubi, I don't think Windows itself is running when you're in Linux. They're still two separate operating systems. It's just that the files themselves might be on the same partition.

Meh, I don't even have windows on my computer at all. I don't think I even have any Microsoft stuff on here at all! :-D

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:31 am 
Banned User

how do i install a new font for ubuntu because i play vsro and i cant seem to install the fonts with wine =[

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:35 pm 
Casual Member

Hyphy: go to System > Administration > Language support, install Vietnamese and enable support for complex characters, that should do the trick

Sovereign: SRO works fine in Wine with ATI, tested with fglrx 8.12 and Wine 1.1.12, there's only one minor annoyance, the game mouse cursor appears in some kind of white checkerboard box. Otherwise smooth, all effects (besides Water reflections of course) on.

Edit: if you want to install the latest ATI drivers on Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) following instructions from the unofficial wiki, skip the post installation tweaks for newer cards.

If you want to flame, take it to 4chan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:04 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

For the problem with the checkerboard box, I found a fix.

I have an Nvidia card, not ATI but I am assuming the problems are still the same. It is a opengl drawing error of some sort...anyway just make sure that

Option "SWCursor" "false"
Option "HWCursor" "true" is in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart x

this fixed it for me, hope it helps!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:23 pm 
Loyal Member

Hey guys/gals,

Since this has been kind of used as an informational tool, I thought I would push something new: LinuxMint. It comes preconfigured with all the codecs, and Wine installs easily - I don't recall, probably 1.01 for Ubuntu 8.04 I think. I'm not on my home PC.

I partitioned 40 gigs space out of my secondary drive /sdb and managed to just mount my primary. Then I grabbed WineDoors, configured Wine for Win98, installed Silkroad, and ran it. It didn't like the old installer so I copied the entire program files\silkroad folder from my Windows install over the top of the "old" install. It runs fine, Hotan is not laggy nearly as much. Haven't tried the dance skills, since I'm a bard, but if it works I'll list the versions of Wine/Winedoors that it's working on.

LinuxMint didn't tell me what kernel it was using - maybe Debian, but it really looks like Ubuntu and I'm pretty sure it's gnome, not KDE - although I can run either.

Not to mention it plays mp3's out of the box without that silly crap about licensing and illegal activities, detected my USB printer and I got samba set up in minutes. So far it's my favorite distro. I was running Ubuntu 7.04 before and Mint looked cool, so I figured I'd try it. More to come!

edit: LM 8 is based off Ubuntu 9.10, so anything that worked with 8/9.04/9.10 Ubuntu should work with Mint.

iSRO - AsparTame 8x - retired
Salvation - Aspar 70