Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: hi, i have a few questions about venus as of today
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:10 pm 
Loyal Member

Dun think anyone still actually plays iSRO >.>

gotta give my shout outs again: MLP4Loif, BHA4Loif, Foobin4Loif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:51 am 
Common Member

@kewtie: thats nuker

i quit playing computer games.... i realized im too young to be wasting my prime years playing a video game that will die out or leave no positive impact on my life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:59 pm 

Guardia wrote:
I've been working hard in real life. Gonna get married in 10 months time. Too busy to play any mmorpg. Playing Facebook's games whenever i have some free time. Yeah, lol me. :p

Don't feel bad Guardia. I sometimes play those Facebook/Myspace games too. Although I don't play them as often as my wife does.

I must admit though Venus and Avalon were fun while they lasted, even for someone like me who was too low level to actually participate in anything. I just contributed whatever GP I could to Avalon as I went out grinding.

hypocrisy_ wrote:

i quit playing computer games.... i realized im too young to be wasting my prime years playing a video game that will die out or leave no positive impact on my life

I wouldn't say video games have no possible positive impact on one's life. Think of all the friendships different people made offline through meeting each other on iSRO. Then there's the team building skills, leadership if you're pulling together a bunch of players toward a common goal as a guild/union leader. Sure, the end goal might just be a video game goal, but you're still leading other people. If you're not the leader, you're still working with team members to achieve the common goal of the guild/union.

Those things can certainly have a positive impact on how you perform in real life at school, on the job, etc.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:35 pm 
Forum God

hypocrisy_ wrote:

Yeah I kind of thought the same way for a bit, then got bored and started playing Aion with Avalon again. ; )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:42 am 
Common Member

PR0METHEUS wrote:
hypocrisy_ wrote:

I wouldn't say video games have no possible positive impact on one's life. Think of all the friendships different people made offline through meeting each other on iSRO. Then there's the team building skills, leadership if you're pulling together a bunch of players toward a common goal as a guild/union leader. Sure, the end goal might just be a video game goal, but you're still leading other people. If you're not the leader, you're still working with team members to achieve the common goal of the guild/union.

Those things can certainly have a positive impact on how you perform in real life at school, on the job, etc.

i wouldnt nessary say it helps in real life
a shy person can be perfectly normal via talking in a mmorpg but irl they dont talk to anyone thus making the game an addiction cuz its so much easier for that person to communicate in that game than it is irl
all in all mmorpgs are like a drug. you can try a drug once do it multiple times and get off and be fine but the majority will be addicted and continue living life playing that game before they realize its too late
and yes i know not all gamers are like what i described above lol

@tasdik: get a job noob :p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:19 pm 

hypocrisy_ wrote:
i wouldnt nessary say it helps in real life
a shy person can be perfectly normal via talking in a mmorpg but irl they dont talk to anyone thus making the game an addiction cuz its so much easier for that person to communicate in that game than it is irl
all in all mmorpgs are like a drug. you can try a drug once do it multiple times and get off and be fine but the majority will be addicted and continue living life playing that game before they realize its too late
and yes i know not all gamers are like what i described above lol

Well it's certainly not the same for everyone. People who are outgoing both in game and out could use their in-game experiences of leading guilds to the real life experiences of leading teams. Convince people in game to play by the rules, work hard, get the job done... Convince people on your team at work to follow corporate policy, work hard, and get the job done. If the real-life shy ones (I include myself in that group) find that they can successfully lead teams (guilds) in a game, it might be a little easier to do so in real life. At least you'll learn techniques from the game that you can try to apply in real life.

Those techniques may or may not work at your job as a Lead Software Developer, but the same can be said for leading a team of construction workers. Those techniques may or may not work on a SW development team, but at least they are techniques you can try out.

If the shy person can't use the game to learn these things, he may (perhaps) never learn them in the real world.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 pm 
Forum God

hypocrisy_ wrote:

Just got one actually, that, and school, and football practice, leaves me very little time to game anymore. = p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:25 pm 
Valued Member

Totally agrees with Hypo in this!

Quitting SRO and games in general was the best decision I ever made for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:15 pm 

Snowie wrote:
Totally agrees with Hypo in this!

Quitting SRO and games in general was the best decision I ever made for sure.

Quitting SRO I can understand, but games in general? NEVER!!!!! And that's coming from a 30 year old full time linux software developer and father of two who barely has time for games... but I still squeeze them in where I can. :)

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
0x, STR blader (Venus)