Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: do i bot or not?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 pm 

non ego man wrote:
Zing, don't bother. People start arguing semantics when they can't argue the issue. Don't be distracted by his feigning incomprehension. It's not worth it.

The initial issue of theis thread is, why cant botters be reformed and re-accepted by srf. Secondarily that the war on bots is relatively petty and getting a little rediculous.

I think there should be the option to allow people who stopped botting to be able to become a member of this forum again. And the war on bots has become so petty that bots are tattle tailing on bots and then getting themselves banned. Its all a big game. Its stupid. These are my opinions.

And im chosing not to respond negatively to neon mangos passive aggressive attempt to insult me, but thanx n e way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:43 pm 
Addicted Member

ArchYourFace wrote:
The initial issue of theis thread is...

I'm sorry. It sounded like you guys were arguing about heart pumps and the definition of "analogy". Looks like you're back on track in any event.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:19 pm 

The problem was that people pointed and laughed at NuclearSilo's analogy without giving an argument. Since his analogy made sense to me, I wanted to provide an understanding to it. Though, people still insist that they can't be compared, because murdering is this big bad thing that can't compare with something as small as botting. But, again, that wasn't the point of the analogy. Even with NuclearSilo creating a more clear understanding, it still gets the receiving end of the hate-stick.

Redemption is great, just it requires the person to along with it. From my understanding, the player needs to delete the character, possibly the items along with it, as well. Or, if the player stopped playing the game altogether, which I believe was the argument against exposing Itonami ban.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:58 pm 

Zing wrote:
The problem was that people pointed and laughed at NuclearSilo's analogy without giving an argument. Since his analogy made sense to me, I wanted to provide an understanding to it. Though, people still insist that they can't be compared, because murdering is this big bad thing that can't compare with something as small as botting. But, again, that wasn't the point of the analogy. Even with NuclearSilo creating a more clear understanding, it still gets the receiving end of the hate-stick.

Redemption is great, just it requires the person to along with it. From my understanding, the player needs to delete the character, possibly the items along with it, as well. Or, if the player stopped playing the game altogether, which I believe was the argument against exposing Itonami ban.

Pff....
Imho, botting is not murder its a weakness(_imho_)
For me this game is all about relations between ppl. anyone can buy plvl ingame from stronger players and so on. Noone have to bot unless he has too much work to do or is too eager to reach the cap(and what will he do there...:)..) its all their decision. A decision what has consequences. I point this out again, ingame we should build a community, not a warzone. Im against botting, but there are many botters who can be "turned", mostly ppl who are just kids and dont know what is good or what is wrong.
Group ideals and norms.
Its very important urge to fit in. And when everyone bots... this is why here on srf we should give the chance for members who were banned to come back if they leave botting AND show them they can play this game and enjoy it too within this community and with this community.
Other than that... how many ppl here bot right now and use this forum?
Just browse the topics, you will find threads and in them "i bot now bann me" posts and what are the replies? "are you dumb to admit this?"
This is entirely wrong. The trust between memmbers and mod team is gone and i think this is a rly bad thing.
What would you do? Some neighbour/friend/other guy admits he had done something wrong and you say "AHHA GOTCHA!" and you sue him/her? This is how you repay the trust he gave you? Not even the question "why", or "omg what do you want to do now", or anything else what is HUMAN.
First of all
1th question: "why did you do that?"
2th question: "do you know this is wrong right?"
3th question:
a: "if you know this is wrong what will you do? Do you stop this(then stay) or continue(bann)
b: "if you dont knew it was wrong, then i tell you its wrong. Now what do you do now? (back to 3/a)...)
I think who admits he has done something what is wrong deserves at least the chance to redeem him/herself.
Just a bit.
but this is only me, its just my opinion.
-----------------------
Silos argument and "analogy" is true.
I just show you how true is this analogy.
Church of St. Trophime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_St._Trophime
This a pile of several rocks.
Am i right?
Of course.
Even tough, its a marvelous piece of art, its made from a pile of rocks...its just some stonepile.
If you can understand the contrast between rocks and a Church, you can understand where is Silo wrong with murder = botting.
One could say this, but this analogy is exaggarated, hipocritical, demagog... meant for effect only.
and pls we shall end this mindless "omg, pump, hearth, what is an analogy" stuff, stay on topic.
-------------------------------
I think this whole antibotting section has critical flaws(altough i accept the ToS of this forum, i think im not pleased with it.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=83961&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:11 am 

Botting doesn't equal murder, that's the part where you're off track. From my own understandings of the statement, is that botting in Silkroad Online is like murdering; because of the consequences and the harm it does indirectly and directly. Especially with them both being crimes.

If you were to label botting, it'd be the one of the highest crimes you could do in Silkroad Online. Which is basically comparative to murdering in real life, when given the boundaries - i.e., botting in Silkroad and murder in real life. As I've stated before. Botting in real life is no where near the level of murder, but if you were to place it in Silkroad Online, it's very comparative. Even when comparing murdering in real life and in game, with their own boundaries, they are not at the same level; since murder in Silkroad is hardly has a deadly penalty at all, nor does it cause hectic results like bots do.

Whenever I normally compare something to Silkroad Online, such as chess for an example, people attack the idea of comparing it in the first place. Not actually trying to give an argument that the similarities are dead wrong.

So, in short, it means that botting shouldn't be something taken lightly. Look at what harm botting has done to this game. People are simply reacting to it. Although, the redemption policy is something I would go for under circumstances.

Again, this isn't comparing botting to every aspect of murder. It's to create understanding that botting isn't something to be taken lightly of.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:02 am 
Forum God

Damn, I shouldnt talk about the murder stuff, otherwise there wouldnt be this long debate off-topic :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:15 am 
Banned User

My question is, if Joymax officially released a bot and made it LEGAL to use, would the SRF mods heads explode? :shock: :love:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:01 am 

Colb, I'd bet on this forum turning into another MMORPG, like WoW, if that were to happen. Or just shut down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:01 am 

Zing wrote:

Again, this isn't comparing botting to every aspect of murder. It's to create understanding that botting isn't something to be taken lightly of.

Yes, you're right. Now pls stop this. The quoted text is good enough.

If you have something to add to this topic, do so. If not, i would be glad to read your pms.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:32 pm 

non ego man wrote:
ArchYourFace wrote:
The initial issue of theis thread is...

I'm sorry. It sounded like you guys were arguing about heart pumps and the definition of "analogy". Looks like you're back on track in any event.

youre the one who said i could argue the issue.

to refer to the analogies. theyre ass backwards and innacurate. plain and simple. and he was using the wrong definition of analogy to back his arguement.

the heart is pump thing is like saying that a bot is a computer program. its a fact not an analogy. and i explained the sex thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:48 pm 

ArchYourFace, you're not getting it. The example was given to say that you're saying these analogies cannot work, just because some other aspect differs from it. Just as when I compare a heart to a pump, you would go out and say: "no, they can't be compared, because the pump is metal." But, in your writing, it'd be looking like this: "Boting =/= murder in ANY reality. Murder is to remove the existence of another's life."

You're trying to say that murder and botting cannot be compared, simply because of murdering is a different act. But, that wasn't what the analogy was comparing. The analogy was comparing the consequences. With such consequences, would you slap someone's wrist and say don't do it again - and let the bot user onto his daily routine without punishment? That was the basics of the analogy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:49 pm 

*sigh*
Ok, im fed up with this :?
Pls mods, lock this topic.
:oops:

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:51 pm 

Actually, Stephanus, I'm actually directly saying that your system won't work, because you're taking the situation too lightly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:49 am 
Forum Legend

see it as being disqualified.

if you play unfair in a soccer match or any other game/sport, you'll be disqualified.

same goes for here: if you play unfair, you'll get disqualified/banned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:44 pm 

heroo wrote:

if you play unfair in a soccer match or any other game/sport, you'll be disqualified.

would you say playing unfair at soccor is like murder?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:11 pm 

No, if you're referring to consequences, as of botting and murdering. Disqualification only removes you from the game that is being played, not removed altogether from it. (i.e. banned)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:50 am 
Forum Legend

ArchYourFace wrote:
NuclearSilo wrote:
If a murderer killed someone, would u send him to jail or u just tell him murdering is bad, u shouldnt do it again? :?

Taking the life of another human being is CLEARLY in the same realm of using a program to play a game for you.

So, is chewing gum in school about the same as drunk driving? Wow.

I'm probaby a bit late on this, but I thinks thats a metaphor :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:25 pm 
Banned User

ArchYourFace wrote:
And the war on bots has become so petty that bots are tattle tailing on bots and then getting themselves banned.

good. thats the idea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:44 pm 

Fly wrote:
ArchYourFace wrote:
And the war on bots has become so petty that bots are tattle tailing on bots and then getting themselves banned.

good. thats the idea

I do agree that that is a humorous sight to see. its like dealing with elementary school kids… but then again, we may just be (being the main reason why I cant bring myself to obsess with childish cheaters, be it on a forum, or even allow my gaming experience to be controled by them to the point that im stressing when im playing the game, or blowing through stacks of globals to tell a botter that they bot and theyre stupid. ;) )

And @ blackdragon, I was honestly realizing this as I was typing it, but I decided to stop arguing my point all together, plus if an analogy is so hard to comprehend I figured trying to explain a metaphor would be a total waste of time. Sometimes arguing with an over-zealous legit can be just as unfruitful as yelling at a bot to stop Ksing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 am 
Forum Legend

Ok this is pretty apparent and probably not needed to be stated, but bots, please look at ArchYourFaces' sig :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:14 pm 

ArchYourFace wrote:
heroo wrote:

would you say playing unfair at soccor is like murder?

Well depending on what you actually do in that soccer game to play "unfair", the consequence could somewhat relate to murder. No, they're not the same thing, but in both situations, you are removed from the activity. Cheat in soccer, you're removed (banned/disqualified) from the game - or the league). Murder, and you're removed from society (sent to prison).

In other words, if you cheat (perhaps cheat enough?) in soccer, you are no longer welcome in the sport (you are banned/disqualified). If you murder, you are no longer welcome in society (are sent to prison). Vastly different punishments, but they serve the same purpose - to remove you from the situation.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:14 am 
Banned User

ArchYourFace wrote:
blowing through stacks of globals to tell a botter that they bot and theyre stupid. ;)

If it wasnt fun ppl wouldnt do it. LOL Blowing through globals can be a giddy experience. I dont global often, but when I do, Im in for at least three stacks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:14 am 
Forum Legend

This is kinda getting old. Bots can go ..... themselves, of this Im sure everyone agrees :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:02 pm 
Loyal Member

I laugh at all you so called Legits. Your legit. But your Morales are farked. Your disliking someone because of what they do. Thats like You being angry at a Celebrity because they are rich and famous and only took them 2 years while it took you 10 years+. Thats straight up Hating. I don't agree with botting but its not my problem, i am pretty sure we all know that the real problems lie in the Gold Bots.

Playing Jade Dynasty
2x Lupin Wdfmymoney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:43 am 

nohunta wrote:
I laugh at all you so called Legits. Your legit. But your Morales are farked. Your disliking someone because of what they do. Thats like You being angry at a Celebrity because they are rich and famous and only took them 2 years while it took you 10 years+. Thats straight up Hating. I don't agree with botting but its not my problem, i am pretty sure we all know that the real problems lie in the Gold Bots.

Uhh where's the comparison? Did the celebrity that made it in 2 years cheat someway? I see justification if they cheated, otherwise your comparison makes no sense..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:52 am 
Site Contributor

nohunta wrote:
the real problems lie in the Gold Bots.

Look at the pictures in the Admit here thread. People are running multiply clients, one player the rest gold. As non ego man has said before, the is no difference anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:24 am 
Forum Legend

oh yeah
DONT JUDGE MURDERERS JUST BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY DID ZOMG
THEY CAN BE SUCH NICEZ PERSONS AND MENS AND SHÝT

oh come on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:06 am 
Forum Legend

Blindfire wrote:
nohunta wrote:
the real problems lie in the Gold Bots.

Look at the pictures in the Admit here thread. People are running multiply clients, one player the rest gold. As non ego man has said before, the is no difference anymore.

How the hell can 1 person run so many clients on 1 comp? Most gold bots are prolly clientless, those being the one's that rev6 said were getting banned. There is a difference. one player singled out is better than 20 players running toward the same mod IMO. I would say get rid of gold bots first and then focus on players cause gold bots sell the gold and ruined the game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:35 am 

Blackdragon6 wrote:
How the hell can 1 person run so many clients on 1 comp? Most gold bots are prolly clientless, those being the one's that rev6 said were getting banned. There is a difference. one player singled out is better than 20 players running toward the same mod IMO. I would say get rid of gold bots first and then focus on players cause gold bots sell the gold and ruined the game.

Well technically, "clientless" gold bots use a client, just not the normal graphical client called sro_client.exe. You have to use some kind of software, called a client, to connect to a server. Now I don't know if gold bots use a modified version of sro_client.exe (with the graphical stuff stripped) or something entirely different, but either way, they can use the same icon (and therefore the same taskbar button as sro_client.exe uses.

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:24 am 
Forum Legend

PR0METHEUS wrote:
Blackdragon6 wrote:

Well technically, "clientless" gold bots use a client, just not the normal graphical client called sro_client.exe. You have to use some kind of software, called a client, to connect to a server. Now I don't know if gold bots use a modified version of sro_client.exe (with the graphical stuff stripped) or something entirely different, but either way, they can use the same icon (and therefore the same taskbar button as sro_client.exe uses.

That doesn't make a lick of sense to me-_-

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next