Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: do i bot or not?(i told you...)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:31 pm 

I think this whole botbanning stuff is wrong in some way.
I think who admits botting, but is willing to leave botting should be relieved of accusations and bannings...
Imho.
Ppl CAN change and this botterbanning is just some mad medivheal inquisition batshit.
Botting is an other way to play(even this way is way too short for botters) and i think they just miss the point of the game. If you ppl just ignore those who bot and bann them, but do not give them the chance to change or show them why is better to play the game everything is in vain.
"You will change nothing"(picks up a red headband).
Instead of changing the situation you'll get just isolated in the end.
Because you close this community and you will start to deviate from reality(Avalon team for example).
Oh and i bot?
Do i?
Or do i not?
Pls proove it or proove the opposite.

And i say, this botting stuff is not for this community.
Pll here seems to be too emotional. Even mods.
You cant tell who does what and what is the reason behind her/his deeds...
This whole "cleansing" wont solve the botting problem.
Not here.
Not anywhere.

Pls post opinions but no flaming -.-

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=83961&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Enjoy.

Last edited by Stephanus on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: do i bot or not?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:37 pm 
Forum Legend

the only people being emotional r the bot sympathizers. when this section first appeared, there were loads of topics just like this, and it all came down to "whine whine whine"

the rest of us are having loads of fun getting rid of closet botters, only ppl like u start these topics that mean shit and adds girl scout cookie points for the rest of us.

botters = ban, realize that this is how srf is right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:39 pm 
Forum God

If a murderer killed someone, would u send him to jail or u just tell him murdering is bad, u shouldnt do it again? :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:03 pm 
Banned User

NuclearSilo wrote:
If a murderer killed someone, would u send him to jail or u just tell him murdering is bad, u shouldnt do it again? :?

Did you just compare murdering another human being to botting on a video game?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:10 pm 

Stephanus wrote:
I think this whole botbanning stuff is wrong in some way.
I think who admits botting, but is willing to leave botting should be relieved of accusations and bannings...
Imho.
Ppl CAN change and this botterbanning is just some mad medivheal inquisition batshit.
Botting is an other way to play(even this way is way too short for botters) and i think they just miss the point of the game. If you ppl just ignore those who bot and bann them, but do not give them the chance to change or show them why is better to play the game everything is in vain.
"You will change nothing"(picks up a red headband).
Instead of changing the situation you'll get just isolated in the end.
Because you close this community and you will start to deviate from reality(Avalon team for
example).
Oh and i bot?
Do i?
Or do i not?
Pls proove it or proove the opposite.

And i say, this botting stuff is not for this community.
Pll here seems to be too emotional. Even mods.
You cant tell who does what and what is the reason behind her/his deeds...
This whole "cleansing" wont solve the botting problem.
Not here.
Not anywhere.

Pls post opinions but no flaming -.-

Amen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:43 am 
Veteran Member

i saw not to ban those who don't bot any more, but people who are caught doing it now should be. If they care enough to stay here they'll quit, those who are hiding might join the legit way of playing. Past is past, though if they decided to kick all past botters i wouldnt' cry too much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:23 am 

Stephanus, try this - read this thread here, it has your sort of argument in it and with it are the counter arguments given.

One of the positive outcomes of the banning is the promotion towards new users that botting is bad and it isn't allowed. To educate them on the problem. It's widely known that Silkroad Online use to be a marvelous game back when it came out. And it's also widely known that the bot program turned the game into it is today.

This is one of the ways to promote legitimacy. In a way, it's helping the community to better a game that so many love. You need to start somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:47 am 
Banned User

Zing wrote:
Stephanus, try this - read this thread here, it has your sort of argument in it and with it are the counter arguments given.

One of the positive outcomes of the banning is the promotion towards new users that botting is bad and it isn't allowed. To educate them on the problem. It's widely known that Silkroad Online use to be a marvelous game back when it came out. And it's also widely known that the bot program turned the game into it is today.

This is one of the ways to promote legitimacy. In a way, it's helping the community to better a game that so many love. You need to start somewhere.

After reading that, I got to wondering; Why does everyone care about what other people are doing? For example: I love to grind. I really do. It's relaxing to me. Capping is a perk, but I can always SP farm at cap. The game is fun and enjoyable to me. The only bots that irritate me are the gold bots. If some 30 year old guy wants to bot so he can cap and compete, simply because he doesn't have the time to play this game like I do, then I don't care. If he gets caught, ban his ass. If he's a part of these forums, sure ban him. He deserves it. But aside from that, who cares? I mean, why get your panties all in a bunch because some people choose to bot?

Like others have said: Yes, botting is wrong and against the TOS... but some of the players behind the bots are really great people. Not all, but some. If someone I know bots, I won't support it, but I'm not going to befriend him/her because of it. It is, afterall, just a game. A game I take seriously, too.

Is it illegal? Yes. Does this "war on bots" encourage the non-botters to stay legit? I hope so. Will it eventually win and cease all botting activity? Never. Too much money involved. That, and most people do not enjoy the grind that this game has become.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:48 am 

It's actually very simple, really. People want a fair game, it's competition after all. I'm sure someone cheating at a game of poker ain't my problem, because it's just a game. When does "just a game" becomes a: do whatever you want? It isn't fair towards those who has spent the time to gain the levels. People want fun, but when it is tarnished because of some sort of program that turns their work into nothing, it gets pretty personal.

Cheating in Counter-Strike: Source is extremely frowned upon. I'm sure those people who cheated are nice people in a way. But, the VAC system does not discriminate, if you cheat, you're gone.

Again, people want a fair environment. It is morality.

Last edited by Zing on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:51 am 
Frequent Member

Location: shhhh weasel-Fly cant demand he always Blah some **. oh and RyO ---> GRRR
Yah, but think of the side affects. People will bot an avatar to 80 then say they've turned over a new leaf. Doesn't really work, does it? Your intentions were good though ^ ^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 am 
Frequent Member

Colb wrote:
NuclearSilo wrote:

I lol'd hard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:16 am 

†erminal wrote:
Colb wrote:
NuclearSilo wrote:

I lol'd hard

It's actually very comparable.

Cheating in a video game usually has the outcome to forever banish the player. Murdering a human being usually has the outcome of the criminal being sentenced to life in prison.

Gotta think outside the box.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:19 am 
Frequent Member

Zing wrote:
†erminal wrote:
Colb wrote:
NuclearSilo wrote:

I lol'd hard

It's actually very comparable.

Cheating in a video game usually has the outcome to forever banish the player. Murdering a human being usually has the outcome of the criminal being sentenced to life in prison.

Gotta think outside the box.

I think your looking too far outside of it, a video game is a trivial, rather unimportant thing, while human life is a precious thing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:21 am 

†erminal wrote:
I think your looking too far outside of it, a video game is a trivial, rather unimportant thing, while human life is a precious thing

You're not understanding correctly. I'm sure NuclearSilo doesn't mean to exactly compare every bit of the analogy. It was to compare the similarities. ---- Which is in fact what an analogy means.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:35 am 
Banned User

Zing wrote:
It's actually very simple, really. People want a fair game, it's competition after all. I'm sure someone cheating at a game of poker ain't my problem, because it's just a game. When does "just a game" becomes a: do whatever you want? It isn't fair towards those who has spent the time to gain the levels. People want fun, but when it is tarnished because of some sort of program that turns their work into nothing, it gets pretty personal.

Cheating in Counter-Strike: Source is extremely frowned upon. I'm sure those people who cheated are nice people in a way. But, the VAC system does not discriminate, if you cheat, you're gone.

Again, people want a fair environment. It is morality.

A fair enviroment, I understand that. And I agree. I'm not saying that bots should go unpunished. I'm not saying that at all. All I'm saying is that people around here (including myself) should just chill out and take time to relax and enjoy the game, regardless if you see a bot or not. Enjoy the game for what it's worth... the way it was meant to be played. Just because someone else chooses to play the game differently doesn't mean you have to get mad about it. If it were a race to level 80, that'd be different. Botters miss out on a lot of the game, but that's their choice. When they get caught and banned, again that was their choice, knowing the consequences. So, ban them from SRF, and let Joymax handle the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:46 am 

Colb wrote:
A fair enviroment, I understand that. And I agree. I'm not saying that bots should go unpunished. I'm not saying that at all. All I'm saying is that people around here (including myself) should just chill out and take time to relax and enjoy the game, regardless if you see a bot or not. Enjoy the game for what it's worth... the way it was meant to be played. Just because someone else chooses to play the game differently doesn't mean you have to get mad about it. If it were a race to level 80, that'd be different. Botters miss out on a lot of the game, but that's their choice. When they get caught and banned, again that was their choice, knowing the consequences. So, ban them from SRF, and let Joymax handle the rest.

Ugh, I can't stress enough on how the presumption of this thought. You should take the time to think some more.

It may be relaxing towards those who has reported a bot. The knowing that this player will not be unnoticed and unpunished. Why would you think it's by human nature to give in a hand without physical reward? Since the day you're born, you're wired to want to help. Which is actually one of the hugest difference between man and chimp (another topic).

Maybe, people cannot relax due to the annoyance of bots.
Maybe, people cannot relax due to the cheating involved in a game once fair. I'm obviously stressed at times because of such a problem. I want total fairness, you only gain advantages by which the game itself, developed by the developers, allows you to do.

Or, even such a game will be destroyed, as other MMORPGs have been destroyed because of such corruption. Really, does a new player want to play such a corrupt game? Why allow cheating? Why allow unfairness?

It is very simply to notice on how so many people are quick to leave their bitter servers to a more promising server, such as servers like Venus. It really shows you the outcome of what a continuation of the botting problem would result. The game will be bitter as ever, why continue to play? Joining a new game is when that time will come. Some has already done it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:13 am 
Banned User

Zing wrote:
You should take the time to think some more.

I've been playing this game since the day Troy (the THIRD server) was opened (2005?). Trust me, I've thought about it a LOT.

Zing wrote:
Why allow cheating? Why allow unfairness?

Who said that cheating should be allowed? I sure didn't. I'm just saying people should stop sticking their noses in everyones business and play their game the way they want. Just be aware that if you play illegally there will be consequences. I had to highlight the last part because apparently you've been missing that in my posts. Either that, or you've just failed to read them all the way through before offering an argument.

I never said a crime should go unpunished. People just need to take a chill pill. Ban the botters from SRF. Report bots to Joymax if you feel the need. Just don't freak out when you encounter a bot, like it's the end of the world. You'll live, trust me :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:25 am 
Addicted Member

Colb wrote:
Zing wrote:

I've been playing this game since the day Troy (the THIRD server) was opened (2005?). Trust me, I've thought about it a LOT.

Zing wrote:

Who said that cheating should be allowed? I sure didn't. I'm just saying people should stop sticking their noses in everyones business and play their game the way they want. Just be aware that if you play illegally there will be consequences. I had to highlight the last part because apparently you've been missing that in my posts. Either that, or you've just failed to read them all the way through before offering an argument.

I never said a crime should go unpunished. People just need to take a chill pill. Ban the botters from SRF. Report bots to Joymax if you feel the need. Just don't freak out when you encounter a bot, like it's the end of the world. You'll live, trust me :)

although i agree with you on the chill pill part Zing is correct.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:30 am 
Banned User

borat2 wrote:
Colb wrote:
Zing wrote:

Zing wrote:

although i agree with you on the chill pill part Zing is correct.

We both are. I don't really see what he's arguing about. We both agree bots should be punished on SRF and in game. I only say people chill out about it and handle it calmly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:39 am 

Tbh why would you even care unless ur a botter?

Most legits would enjoy seeing a botter get banned?

download more ram.

Where? Did not find any on google. :soosad:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:09 am 
Veteran Member

[SD]Twysta wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:39 am 

Colb, you're inciting that people should not report a bot -- because, they shouldn't be in their business.

The whole point to write out, "why allow cheating?" were to remind you that, by not reporting at all is actually allowing cheating to continue. You're all for the punishment on botters, but you're not all for the action to be rid of them; I'm sure in real life, police authorities cannot capture every single criminal by themselves. If others may have been crazily freaking out on about the subject, then sure, they'd need a chill pill. But, what you're exactly doing is encouraging people to not look for bots, because they shouldn't be all up in their (botter's) business.

As I've stated before, how can one play a game and be relaxed when the botter is actually making it miserable? I'm sure from all those time you've spent on Troy, your monsters have been stolen at least once by some sort of bot.

I'm assuming your only two points is that people should relax and they shouldn't be bot hunting. Which is very contradicting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:37 pm 
Banned User

[SD]Twysta wrote:

LOL

Are you guys even really reading what I've been saying? That's the point I'm trying to make. I don't care. If Joe Schmoe wants to bot, good for him. He'll get banned for it. I don't give a rats ass what he decides to do. If I see a bot in my grinding spot, I'll report it sure. Aside from that I'm not going to go out of my way to attempt to fix a problem that wasn't mine to begin with.

I pay roughly $30 a month just to login to this game. That's quite a bit compared to other MMO's. I'm not about to become their bot hunting service as well.

And to be quite f***ing honest with you, I don't give a damn if every single person in the server bots and I'm the only legit. As long as I'm having fun, that's all that matters to me. A lot of you people have lost sight of this game. To some of you, this isn't even a game anymore, you're just wasting your time fighting bots that will always be there until Joymax does something about it.

Grow up and act realistic. It's not my job to worry about other people.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:49 pm 

Colb, you're still not on the right track. This isn't about what you do or what you want to do. It's about what you're advising.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:11 pm 
Valued Member

Botters do not play in their own isolated instance of the game. They bot up high lvl chars and buy enormous amounts of gold and it changes the dynamic of the game. Silkroad is a game ruined by cheaters. The non-cheating players do not want to quit SRO... they want to run off the cheaters.

It has to start somewhere and with someone. It has to start with players who care enough about their community to start taking action to promote the good and to denounce the bad.

It has started.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:12 pm 
BrokenSaint wrote:
[SD]Twysta wrote:

lol quoted you to see if you made invisible txt 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:20 pm 

Colb wrote:
Grow up and act realistic. It's not my job to worry about other people.

so stop trying to tell others that they shouldn't be 'poking their noses into other people's business'... the point is that this forum only wants legit people here, regardless of how much they've contributed. It is, in fact, our job to keep this forum legit and find the people who are botting in the game and don't admit it here. If you really didn't care, u wouldn't need to come into this part of the forum and see how things are working out.

The difference between the actual game and SRF is that we can and will ban those who have been proven botting. Even banning those who bot here seem to give a bit more satisfaction to the legits who play this game, seeing as at least someone - somewhere is also taking the same opinions as them and making a difference in the community.

@ Stephanus:
I'm not sure I've read a botting admittance that has actually showed a sign of 'changing' to becoming legit. And tbh, the only way I would accept that person having changed was if they had started a new character without botting or getting plvled by their botted char.

I do also believe people can change, but so far from what i've seen around here, the botters seem to rather leave with a bang, bragging with their screenshots about having 20 clients open or whatever.

_metroid_ - 72 Hybrid Int Spear -inactive
Bandaid - 64 Pure Int Cleric/Bard -inactive
Nodame - 36 Pure Str Blader - Hacked

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:45 pm 
Forum God

cin wrote:
BrokenSaint wrote:
[SD]Twysta wrote:

?
Is it possible to do it?

Anyway, what's the point of this thread? Is the thread author trying to say the war on bots is wrong, and ppl should let bots stay when exposed?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:53 pm 
NuclearSilo wrote:
cin wrote:
BrokenSaint wrote:
[SD]Twysta wrote:
blahblah

?
Is it possible to do it?

nah, i dont think its possible..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:59 pm 
Forum God

OK

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next