Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: PlayStation 4 won't play PS3 games natively
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
Forum Legend

Quote:
The PlayStation 4 won't be able to play any of the PlayStation 3's PSN games, Sony has revealed.

This means gamers' current downloaded collections, which may include titles like Journey, The Unfinished Swan and Wipeout HD, won't be playable on the PlayStation 4.

Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida confirmed the news to Engadget after the PlayStation 4 was officially unveiled last night. It's because the PlayStation 4's new x86 architecture is radically different from the PlayStation 3's Power PC innards, according to Engadget's report.

Yoshida added that Sony was looking to make the current-generation PSN titles playable "in some form" in the future, with Engadget saying the PlayStation 4 be able to emulate some current PSN titles--but only ones that don't "guzzle the latest console's power in emulation."
Any thoughts about it? xD

Post subject: Re: PlayStation 4 won't play PS3 games natively
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:50 pm 
Elite Member

PS3 wasn't, it will be ok.

It seems they are doing a good release this time around.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 pm 

From what I've been reading online people aren't particularly happy with the ps4 as it hasn't done anything that groundbreaking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:02 pm 
Elite Member

Heard their stock went down after the reveal. And things like "announce a console without showing a console" lol.

Some of those features seem nice tho, hope they can be on next Xbox. The whole sharing and watching/controlling others games stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 pm 
Forum Legend

They can't release anything groundbreaking when it comes to graphics. If they update the PS4 for 4k/8k resolution, people need to buy new TV's and that ain't gonna happen right now. People are still comfortable with 1080p. I just hope they make the interface and starting/closing games somewhat faster. Can't wait for the new generation, been a loyal customer ever since the first one :sohappy:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:03 pm 
Elite Member

4k/8k res doesnt add that much

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 pm 
Dom's Slut

DarkJackal wrote:
Heard their stock went down after the reveal. And things like "announce a console without showing a console" lol.

Some of those features seem nice tho, hope they can be on next Xbox. The whole sharing and watching/controlling others games stuff.

I was just thinking on my way home today "Wouldn't it be funny if Sony's stock fell after the reveal"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Contributor

Didn't know OTL was OTG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:21 pm 
Site Contributor

Aventus wrote:
From what I've been reading online people aren't particularly happy with the ps4 as it hasn't done anything that groundbreaking.

Yah look where that got the Wii U with a mighty 57k sales month

@Love

yes it does

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:32 pm 
Elite Member

It only helps on 50 and bigger screens and even then is not that big of a deal and you have to factor in the kind of hardware requirements for good graphics on that definition.

Cost is not worth the benefits at this point.

Last edited by Love on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 am 

developers will only push playstations hardware limitations if they can replicate the results on the new xbox UNLESS its a playstation exclusive and other then watchdog i dont think i care about anything they have coming up.
not that the specs are that great anyway... why are they still using 32bit architecture? didnt nintendo try to move things to 64 with the nintendo 64 like 15 years ago?!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:30 am 
Site Contributor

the ps4 is both 32 bit and 64 bit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:02 am 

It costed Sony a fortune to duct tape the PS2 and put in a $600 no movie player. I can see why they'd rather not bother with the PS3 since it'll add another $150(Assuming this is how much it costs them to manufacture per slim slim PS3) to the PS4.

If the PS3 didn't have Bluray and a PS2 it'd be far cheaper than it originally was. Except without the Bluray, Sony probably would have lost quite a lot without it pushing that division.

It's a smart decision financially not to include backwards compatibility. Their hardware is like night and day. It wouldn't be easy just to port things over or emulate them. Let's not forget that the PS3 is also supposedly a 10 year cycle. Business wise? Who knows. Let's be honest do you play your xbox games? PS2? GC? Wii? Currently with your next gen console? Considering newer PS3/360s can't, would you if you could? Out of the choices I wouldn't be surprised to hear Wii considering how new Wii U is. It'll change in a year or two.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:34 am 

Toshiharu wrote:
Let's be honest do you play your xbox games? PS2? GC? Wii? Currently with your next gen console? Considering newer PS3/360s can't, would you if you could? Out of the choices I wouldn't be surprised to hear Wii considering how new Wii U is. It'll change in a year or two.

It's a very vocal minority. Most people don't give a shit about backwards compatibility.

Dem CoD sales, right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 pm 
Elite Member

Sucks that they got rid of the cell processor for this one. But what are you going to do if non-ps-exclusive game devs aren't going to push themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Gaigemasta wrote:
Didn't know OTL was OTG
Your eyes are tricking you! lulz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Reading from other sites it seems like its just a small step forward, i was hoping it would be up to par to high-end gaming pcs these days. but i guess it makes sense, they tried to aim high last time and it didn't really work out well.

Just hope its strong enough to run the next Battlefield with 64 players :sohappy:

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:15 am 

Azilius wrote:
Toshiharu wrote:
Let's be honest do you play your xbox games? PS2? GC? Wii? Currently with your next gen console? Considering newer PS3/360s can't, would you if you could? Out of the choices I wouldn't be surprised to hear Wii considering how new Wii U is. It'll change in a year or two.

It's a very vocal minority. Most people don't give a shit about backwards compatibility.

Dem CoD sales, right?

Exactly.

Sanktum wrote:
Sucks that they got rid of the cell processor for this one. But what are you going to do if non-ps-exclusive game devs aren't going to push themselves.

The problem with the cell processor was that they had to develop for that as well rather than just simply porting things over. Porting isn't easy, but the easier you make it then the happy developers are. It was a smart choice to go with a normal CPU and GPU.

TheDrop wrote:
Reading from other sites it seems like its just a small step forward, i was hoping it would be up to par to high-end gaming pcs these days. but i guess it makes sense, they tried to aim high last time and it didn't really work out well.

Just hope its strong enough to run the next Battlefield with 64 players :sohappy:

By the looks of things it will. Possibly at near max to max settings at 1920x1080. Assuming BF4 is pretty much BF3 but with a touch of actually using frostbite 2.0. Their tech demos shown so much more features than what was placed in BF3. Hopefully it'll have color.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:48 am 
Dom's Slut

64 player BF3? That's so PC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:23 pm 
Forum Legend

Toshiharu wrote:
TheDrop wrote:

By the looks of things it will. Possibly at near max to max settings at 1920x1080. Assuming BF4 is pretty much BF3 but with a touch of actually using frostbite 2.0. Their tech demos shown so much more features than what was placed in BF3. Hopefully it'll have color.

im not sure whether i'd want as realistic graphics as possible, or 64 player/splitscreen. Lets hope both are possible (though i doubt Dice would bother improving their engine by much)

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 am 
Site Contributor

They made the specs of the console pretty similar to PC's for easier ports, and frankly, I thought that was a very smart decision.

The gap/compatibility between PS3/XBOX/PC is tremendous. You seem games that look either totally awesome on one machine like PC or PS3 then shitty on others. The game "Rage" is a prime example.. Easier porting makes it easier for devs which benefits the users. They will prob be less exclusive games because now it will be easier to port games.

On-topic: I couldn't careless about PS3 games on my future PS4. I still have my PS3, and even then, why would I want to play old PS3 games?

Last edited by Avalanche on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 am 

TheDrop wrote:
Toshiharu wrote:
TheDrop wrote:

im not sure whether i'd want as realistic graphics as possible, or 64 player/splitscreen. Lets hope both are possible (though i doubt Dice would bother improving their engine by much)

Realistic? Doubtful. You need far more power, but for now? Close enough. I'm assuming Sony is putting in a $400+$100 for the extra GDDR5 video card so it can last another 5 years. Seems like another console they're going to lose a bunch more money on.

DICE will improve their engine if they want it to be relevant a few years down the line. There's a lot of work to be done. As I said Frostbite 2.0 had a bunch of tech demos where a lot of features weren't used in BF3.

Avalanche wrote:
They made the specs of the console pretty similar to PC's for easier ports, and frankly, I thought that was a very smart decision.

The gap/compatibility between PS3/XBOX/PC is tremendous.

This so much. That's why a lot of games were never lead developed for the PS3. It was the cell processor whereas the 360 was just a typical household computer basically.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:38 pm 
Forum Legend

Avalanche wrote:
I could careless about PS3 games on my future PS4. I still have my PS3
Imagine... your PS3 breaks down :giveup:What would you do?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 am 
Site Contributor

*BlackFox wrote:
Avalanche wrote:
I could careless about PS3 games on my future PS4. I still have my PS3
Imagine... your PS3 breaks down :giveup:What would you do?

Never will, thing is a champ. First gen too, got it right when it came out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:58 pm 
Forum Legend

^ Ha ha... It will "break down" sooner or later! xD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:51 pm 
Elite Member

^That it's old doesn't mean it's going to break down soon. :)
We once had a refridgerator that was about 40 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:27 pm 
Forum Legend

Yeah, I guess so.. xD
But, would you pay any money for games... you've bought in the past?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:45 pm 
Elite Member

^I have only bought one game in my entire life and that's GTA SA. And I have only 12 games that have been legally bought. Also have some free games on Steam and that's it. :)